Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Routing 100% will be extremely difficult with compendium completion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kashuno posted:

How forgettable are these bosses though? If you tell me "The boss of OOT (blank) Temple" I'm going to immediately remember the fights with Phantom Ganon, or Volvagia, or Bongo Bongo, but if someone is like "The boss of the Rito Divine Beast" I don't remember a single thing about that fight, or any of the Divine Beast bosses at all.

Yeah, all of the dungeon bosses are really lame. I feel like they designed them to look like something out of Dark Souls but they all look way too similar and they mash together and are ultimately forgettable. The fights themselves are fun but I can't recall which boss goes where and I think I only recall what two of them look like.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kashuno posted:

Routing 100% will be extremely difficult with compendium completion

No it wouldn't since you can just buy the whole compendium, and routing in a bunch of rupees would be easier than tracking poo poo down to take pictures of.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kashuno posted:

I'd be fine with that too. Either way something has to give on it. It's pretty lame when Zelda is like "Tell me..how proficient are you with that sword?" and Link just stares like a dumbfounded idiot and says literally nothing.

They definitely didn't do a very good job of characterizing Link in the voiced cutscenes. A lot could've been done just with his actions, like having him actively reach out to comfort Zelda when she's upset or having him respond to Zelda's question about his sword proficiency by showing off, depending on how they want this Link to come across. There are probably also some writing tricks they could've done, like writing around the idea of characters actively asking Link for a response.

Link is at his best when his actions and expressions speak for him, but Breath of the Wild didn't really do enough with that, especially because a lot of the dialog options you have in the non-voiced scenes paint a picture of Link as a gung-ho kind of guy and also a little bit of a goofball. I'd have loved to see that come across elsewhere.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I am trying to tie up some loose ends before I finish the game, and one that's been bothering me is that I remember seeing a large, wafting, blue / green glow coming from a mountain top relatively early in the game. I think I tagged it and then accidentally deleted it at some point. Does this sound familiar? Does anyone happen to know what this may be?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No spoilers, but for the A Fragmented Monument shrine quest, can you figure out the solution with just what's around the area? Or are you expected to come back later after another quest or something?

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, all of the dungeon bosses are really lame. I feel like they designed them to look like something out of Dark Souls but they all look way too similar and they mash together and are ultimately forgettable. The fights themselves are fun but I can't recall which boss goes where and I think I only recall what two of them look like.

My biggest complaint was the doing away with the old zelda tradition of giving you the required goods to beat the boss with in pots near the boss door. The water temple boss was very frustrating because I had run out of arrows (since everything before him requires you to use a poo poo ton of arrows!). So the options I'm left with are retreat entirely, which feels bad as a player, or struggle frustratingly to figure out some gimmick kill. I don't think its good design to corner the player into one of those two options with no warning or outs. That said, I still love the hell out of the game as a whole.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Pollyanna posted:

No spoilers, but for the A Fragmented Monument shrine quest, can you figure out the solution with just what's around the area? Or are you expected to come back later after another quest or something?

If that's the one I'm thinking of on the beach, you can do it with your own supplies and in that general region.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

There's no way to shortcut that one, and it doesn't have any prerequisites elsewhere in the world. You just gotta do the quest and look for the stuff, right then and there.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

The guy basically tells you where all the pieces are, and that they glow and are easier to see at night.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh, I've got the pieces, but the hint is really vague. I was wondering if whatever it wants me to find is nearby.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Fellatio del Toro posted:

The guy basically tells you where all the pieces are, and that they glow and are easier to see at night.

That dude is a liar, they're dim as hell and hard to see regardless. Don't bother wasting an hour trying to find them in the water like I did, despite what the guy says they're all somewhere near or on the shore in the locations he hints at.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

il serpente cosmico posted:

I am trying to tie up some loose ends before I finish the game, and one that's been bothering me is that I remember seeing a large, wafting, blue / green glow coming from a mountain top relatively early in the game. I think I tagged it and then accidentally deleted it at some point. Does this sound familiar? Does anyone happen to know what this may be?

There's something up there. I forgot which mountain it is, but you can see it from a lot of places. Keep an eye out for it and head up there when you see the glow.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Oh, I've got the pieces, but the hint is really vague. I was wondering if whatever it wants me to find is nearby.

It tells you to kneel on the thing, go kneel on the thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Crouch.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh it means me. Dammit, I get it now. Thanks :downs:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Space T Rex posted:

Has anyone in the entire world 100%'d this game yet? If so, has anyone routed a 100% speed run yet? Cant wait to watch that for 18 hours straight

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think people are still working on routing the all-dungeons run. Routing 100% will happen, but it's a gargantuan project.

the WR for a "straight from the plateau to ganon" has dropped by something like 10 minutes in 2 weeks, so yeah 100%'s gonna be awhile comin

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Doing a 100% speedrun seems to be a complete fool's errand. All dungeons, sure, but 100%? Jesus. I mean, 100% doesn't just involve all the shrines and all the koroks (which you might as well do if you're doing all the shrines, because they don't take all that long once you know where they are), but also all of the place names, so what you're doing there is speedrunning setting foot on drat near every square inch of the map.

Also just imagine how much "Yahaha!" you'd hear

I am looking forward to all dungeons speedruns, though. And if someone can find a way to do all dungeons/all shrines without going nuts, I'm in for that, too. I want to see how many crazy shrine skips people come up with.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

All shrines is about the longest speedrun category I can imagine being interesting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

All shrines is about the longest speedrun category I can imagine being interesting.

Even then I'd expect it to be around six hours (doing a shrine every three minutes would be extremely fast but theoretically possible) and that's way longer than I'd consider a speed run interesting.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah, I'd like to see the ways in which the shrines can be broken but getting all of the Koroks would be ridiculous and boring.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

No it wouldn't since you can just buy the whole compendium, and routing in a bunch of rupees would be easier than tracking poo poo down to take pictures of.

Oh yeah I forgot that feature entirely would've saved me some time...

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

this is the place to find the Lord of the Mountain special mount. Nothing major

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Iwata lives there

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The regeneration chamber must have some crazy power when you think about it. The Hyrule army and champs (Link included) got absolutely hosed up by guardians in the past, but Link can step out of the regen pool and immediately murder guardians with a pot lid

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kashuno posted:

The regeneration chamber must have some crazy power when you think about it. The Hyrule army and champs (Link included) got absolutely hosed up by guardians in the past, but Link can step out of the regen pool and immediately murder guardians with a pot lid

it's post apocalyptic hyrule, they've been scavenging from all the dead guardians so it just so happens all the shields and pot lids have accidentally been made from guardian bolts and screws

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Well link did wreck a whole bunch of guardians before going down at Fort Hateno, he was pretty good back then too

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Regarding unconventional puzzle solutions, I got a little too smart with it for my own good.

For the Rito sidequest with the 5 kids: When I got them all gathered up at Warbler's Nest, I was stumped and couldn't figure out how to trigger the shrine to appear. I noticed the colors of the birds and saw that they matched the colors of the pins on the Sheikah Slate map, I thought the solution was to match up the order with which the kids chirp and their color with the numbering on the statues and to place pins in the holes in the right order. I was very disappointed with the real solution :(

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

canoshiz posted:

Regarding unconventional puzzle solutions

There's a shrine where you have to use the game-pad to tilt a gyroscope maze to lead a ball through it and out the exit onto a platform. I immediately tilted the wrong way and over corrected so hard that I flung the ball into the air and it landed right on the exit platform.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kurtofan posted:

the forbidden love between a bird and a fish

lewd

Kashuno posted:

How forgettable are these bosses though? If you tell me "The boss of OOT (blank) Temple" I'm going to immediately remember the fights with Phantom Ganon, or Volvagia, or Bongo Bongo, but if someone is like "The boss of the Rito Divine Beast" I don't remember a single thing about that fight, or any of the Divine Beast bosses at all.

Zelda bosses have always been garbage aside from looking cool though. Usually because Nintendo insisted on designing them to be utterly trivilized by the dungeon item. The cleric beasts ganon blights at least have some cool tricks. Granted they are still pretty easy with the exception of thunder blight, but they just need more health and to be not as susceptible to stuns.

I'll take them any day over exciting enemies such as King Dodongo, who rolls at you slowly for the entire fight.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Did... did I just go all the way with a great fairy?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

El Burbo posted:

Well link did wreck a whole bunch of guardians before going down at Fort Hateno, he was pretty good back then too

Zelda takes down most of them

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Kashuno posted:

I know exactly what you mean. There were some good fights in BotW but they're not really memorable. Maybe its harder to make memorable 3d bosses these days in this post souls world i dunno

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I didn't realize I could slice all the legs off of the walking guardians. Of course, usually I'm pot lidding them so I wouldn't get close enough to chop legs off...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The most memorable Zelda boss to me was definitely Bongo Bongo, simply for the fact that it's loving horrifying. The glowing eye, dismembered hands, rhythmic drumming and god drat invisibility.

Pictured: Stuff of nightmares

Zelda bosses have never been very interesting though, since it's almost always just "use dungeon item, hit boss, repeat 3 times". The fights in BotW are pretty good, but it would be fun if they took it a bit further. The combat system is a lot of fun and you could make some really good bosses.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Space T Rex posted:

There's a shrine where you have to use the game-pad to tilt a gyroscope maze to lead a ball through it and out the exit onto a platform. I immediately tilted the wrong way and over corrected so hard that I flung the ball into the air and it landed right on the exit platform.

I figured out pretty quickly that for every time I hosed this puzzle up, I could just angle the controller such that the ball would just land in the center lane to get a quick retry to launch the ball again. I wasn't smart enough to figure out to just flip the thing over entirely, though :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Your Computer posted:

The most memorable Zelda boss to me was definitely Bongo Bongo, simply for the fact that it's loving horrifying. The glowing eye, dismembered hands, rhythmic drumming and god drat invisibility.

Pictured: Stuff of nightmares

Zelda bosses have never been very interesting though, since it's almost always just "use dungeon item, hit boss, repeat 3 times". The fights in BotW are pretty good, but it would be fun if they took it a bit further. The combat system is a lot of fun and you could make some really good bosses.

Nothing about the Well or the Shadow Temple made any loving sense, and that just made them more nightmarish.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Zelda bosses have always been garbage aside from looking cool though. Usually because Nintendo insisted on designing them to be utterly trivilized by the dungeon item. The cleric beasts ganon blights at least have some cool tricks. Granted they are still pretty easy with the exception of thunder blight, but they just need more health and to be not as susceptible to stuns.

I'll take them any day over exciting enemies such as King Dodongo, who rolls at you slowly for the entire fight.

I agree, I've never thought boss battles were a strong point of any Zelda game, especially the 3D ones. this one is no different, I loving hate the bosses.

poo poo bosses and "almost no reason to do sidequests because of garbage tier rewards" are two main critiques I have right now. That quest to light even torches in Kakariko village was a good one; spent like 50 rupees on fire arrows so I could get...20 rupees. Some of them are worth it just for the humor like the Cucco man but the main "sidequest" meat lies within the shrine quests.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

You're looking for satori mountain. Make sure you have your camera ready. It's right by the ridgeland tower or mogg latan shrine

Also, no you can't save him as a regular mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Your Computer posted:

This is unrelated to BotW but if you bring a boomerang to the Phantom Ganon fight in OoT (either by glitching it to the B button as an adult or glitching your way into the Forest Temple as a child), it completely and utterly destroys him in the pingpong phase. It's not even the right dungeon item!