Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Elementalist has a ton of targeted AoE abilities though and is reliant on movement for survival. I think Warrior, Guardian and Ranger are better recommendations.

And yeah Mesmer is a bit of a love/hate class that picks up rather slowly. I found it rather frustrating to play solo with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Play a dagger elementalist, there is zero targeted skills to use and you get to push all the buttons all the time constantly.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Max Peck, thanks for all this. I'll give it a try. The snap AOE to Target seems really great. I think

The main reason I started playing Mesmer was that it was different from every other class. I wanted something that felt "new", as warrior/mage/rogue had been done to death in other MMOs. I mained summoner in FFXIV, and Necro just felt way too similar. (plus I can't actually what the status icons are)

So far I'm using joy2key to remap some controls onto a Xbone One controller
L-stick - forward, backward, strafe
L-click - Dodge roll
Triangle, square, etc - abilities 1-4, I smack 5 on the keyboard with the toothbrush in my mouth when needed
R-stick - turn left/right (thinking of using up/down to be swim up/jump and swim down)
R-click - unbound
I can't use the shoulder buttons, can't use fingers. I just smash the face buttons with the palm of my hands.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
I haven't played since launch - but the PVP was always really excellent.

Does the Revenant pvp well in pickup groups? What is the preferred class for pick up group scrub tier pvp (if there is one?)

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
https://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/videos/10154638826684209/

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Okay, that one is good & funny

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm a bit behind on builds and poo poo. Are grenadier engineers still the only way to do good damage?

People still kit grenades, but I think Tonic Engie is cool. B-)

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Oh poo poo, I might have to actually get this.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I'm thinking of making a melee character cause heavy armor looks cool. Sell me on either warrior or guardian.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Valicious posted:

Sell me on either warrior or guardian.

Why? Just try both?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Valicious posted:

I'm thinking of making a melee character cause heavy armor looks cool. Sell me on either warrior or guardian.

Melee Ranger is more fun tbqh.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

what happened to asura felicia day is she brain damaged now or what?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Ostentatious posted:

She and Logan were both eaten by plants.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I got eaten by plants just last night and it was no big deal they need to toughen the gently caress up imo

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Valicious posted:

Warrior is amazing

You can sprint a million miles an hour with Greatsword and Sword/Warhorn

You can stunlock anyone with Hammer

You can light the entire world on fire with Sword/Torch and Longbow

You can turn almost literally invincible for several seconds with Endure Pain and Berserker Stance (Endure Pain blocks direct damage, Berserker Stance pulses Resistance, a boon which blocks condi damage, and the only way to harm you is to load you with condis and then repeatedly strip your Resistance)

You have 20k HP base (in glass cannon gear you're about as durable as a Guardian in moderately tanky gear)

Berserk is one of the most fun class mechanics in the game - you go super saiyan for ten seconds and can readily access a big pile of super powerful moves specific to each weapon. Greatsword Berserk slashes everything in a huge radius around you for a ton of damage, Longbow Berserk lays out an enormous aoe of horrid burning death, Hammer Berserk makes you fling yourself through the air and immobilize everything where you land.

Headbutt is simultaneously a stun break, a (long) stun, and fills your Adrenaline (your turbo meter, basically, you have to fill it to use Berserk) and is amazing.

Lastly, with the right build you will always contribute enormously to any group - Warrior has builds that are incredibly good at handing out Might (the bonus damage boon) to everyone around them while also smashing things in the face.

All that said, Arus is right that you should try both Guard and Warrior. I have both of them and they're both great classes. I just happen to completely adore how fast Warrior is and how much burst damage it is. It doesn't bother me that its ranged options are generally somewhat subpar and not very flashy, I'm all about GO FAST KILL FAST

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 21, 2017

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Ostentatious posted:

I got eaten by plants just last night and it was no big deal they need to toughen the gently caress up imo

when they finish toughening the gently caress up it turns out the plants hosed up their vocal chords so much they're now voiced by cheaper actors

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

just get 9 character slots and level one of every class

and then steadily add more slots and level one of each class for every race

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I haven't bought the game yet. I only have 2 slots on meguuma, and 1 is taken up with my Mesmer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ostentatious posted:

she's living inside the new legendary shield in a fish tank

e: wait wrong species, oh well they're both equally worthless

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Valicious posted:

I haven't bought the game yet. I only have 2 slots on meguuma, and 1 is taken up with my Mesmer.

At the risk of pointing out the painfully honest facts you might already know mesmer is a very good melee profession. By all means, make a warrior too, but mesmer's sword skills are some of the best in the game.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

just get 9 character slots and level one of every class

and then steadily add more slots and level one of each class for every race

Did someone say my name? (tomed up the 41st today, hopefully get its elite spec done in the hp train today)

Also don't sell guardian short, you get a huge amount of survivability and utility with all the blocks, blinds, pulls and knockbacks you have access to; all of your weapons are excellent (guard scepter is possibly the best scepter weapon in the game?), have a purpose, and all the offhands get a use - along with being clanky and awesome and with some great animations. The main parts they come up short to warriors in is having less ability to just poo poo might everywhere and having worse condi builds.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
mini floppy fish --> floppy drive --> sab reference

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So what's a good first step for progressing in gear as a level 80 mesmer? I have the exotics from the 80 boost (soldiers I believe) and I've been having fun just doing dailies and events all over the brink. I'm also pretty close to maxing out the chronomancer line though I haven't really played with it yet. I don't really know anything about ascended gear except that I should probably be using my laurels to buy a few ascended accessories. Should I be leveling my tradeskills to craft ascended stuff?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Apparently the floppy fish mini swims normally if you go underwater with it, definitely would like to get it now

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Illuyankas posted:

Apparently the floppy fish mini swims normally if you go underwater with it, definitely would like to get it now

I heard that and verified it myself. I love this dumb thing so much.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Illuyankas posted:

The main parts they come up short to warriors in is having less ability to just poo poo might everywhere and having worse condi builds.

They also have a lot slower movement in comparison, that might take some getting used to. Few movement skills, not many sources of swiftness, no +25% moving speed trait. I just broke down and bought a set of Traveler's rune.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Run Retreat and Staff and you can maintain either permanent or near permanent swiftness on guardian with staff 3 and the shout. There's also a trait in a pretty good line that gives boon duration while using a staff if you want

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i swapped from guard to rev cos perma swift perma doublefury and general less effort

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So what's a good first step for progressing in gear as a level 80 mesmer? I have the exotics from the 80 boost (soldiers I believe) and I've been having fun just doing dailies and events all over the brink. I'm also pretty close to maxing out the chronomancer line though I haven't really played with it yet. I don't really know anything about ascended gear except that I should probably be using my laurels to buy a few ascended accessories. Should I be leveling my tradeskills to craft ascended stuff?

Get on a Hero Point Train, unlock Chronomancer ASAP.

Get an Ascended Berserker Amulet first with laurels, that is a good investment. Save the rest until you figure out what you like to play and if you even enjoy Chrono.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

edit: carry your hero point train with portals (self explanatory) and Alacrity (because somehow pugs just can't eat the stupid bacon right)

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Is there a class that's both easy to get a handle on and carries its weight in pvp? Haven't played since launch.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

AnacondaHL posted:

because somehow pugs just can't eat the stupid bacon right

The better question is why is this in the game. Who in their right mind would walk up to a toxic mound of meat and just start eating it (besides Arus). This is like the first people who decided eating mushrooms growing in the woods was a good idea.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Probably the same reason they have that achievement for staying in the Dry Top quicksand.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Thunder Moose posted:

Is there a class that's both easy to get a handle on and carries its weight in pvp? Haven't played since launch.

Guardian. Pretty easy class and can Frontline in wvwvw as well as has some meta builds for spvp.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

knowonecanknow posted:

The better question is why is this in the game. Who in their right mind would walk up to a toxic mound of meat and just start eating it (besides Arus). This is like the first people who decided eating mushrooms growing in the woods was a good idea.
It's not even the first hero challenge in the game that involves eating questionable meat, either :v:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

knowonecanknow posted:

This game always gave devs artistic freedom to make higher risk content, which is a double-edged sword but imho generally really good for the game, so I always thought this was a satire on the Internet bacon craze in general and how silly it would look in Tyria.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

U.T. Raptor posted:

It's not even the first hero challenge in the game that involves eating questionable meat, either :v:

At least the one with the crazy lady in the swamp is sort of tongue in cheek.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lady_Grimassi

quote:

Food from a spooky old lady? Sure.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

AnacondaHL posted:

Get on a Hero Point Train, unlock Chronomancer ASAP.

Get an Ascended Berserker Amulet first with laurels, that is a good investment. Save the rest until you figure out what you like to play and if you even enjoy Chrono.

Also, get the amulet in WvW and you'll save yourself some laurels. It costs badges of honor but those rain down like candy so it shouldn't be an issue after spending a little time running around with a zerg.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Great, thanks. Should I be looking to replace my current exotic gear with berserker's or assassin's armor? I should have all of the chronomancer line unlocked soon. I'm guessing I need all sorts of + boon duration gear/runes/etc for alacrity? This stuff is all new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Great, thanks. Should I be looking to replace my current exotic gear with berserker's or assassin's armor? I should have all of the chronomancer line unlocked soon. I'm guessing I need all sorts of + boon duration gear/runes/etc for alacrity? This stuff is all new to me.

It doesn't look like Assassin is coming back anytime soon, so unless you are absolutely keen on only playing solo, Berserker gear is the place to start. You'll always have some use for it. All the meta builds for chrono since it's introduction have been variations off Berserker gear.

Alternative confusing answer I probably shouldn't give: might I interest you in some meta shattering spice? Condi Chronomancer

• Locked thread