Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

my dad posted:

My suggestion would be to move my cav to the center trenchline, while leaving the south for the infantry to take. The enemy will take forever to get through the North, and we have the ACs on the road there.

Sound plan imo, and I'd go one step further and dismount in the trenches to gain additional concealment. The infantry will be better suited for clearing Bois, and if the Germans decide to wander in your direction it's better to be behind wire and trenchworks when they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I checked some ranges, and I'll be able to keep a token presence in the south that should give me vision against anyone trying to advance south, letting my artillery shell the poo poo out of them.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Well, I guess the good news it that our infantry will be marching directly onto the German cavalry.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

So of the two brigades arriving at 0800, it seems like we need a) one to help mydad find and evict our unwanted house guests around Bois de Blob and b) the other to hightail it up to the unoccupied trenchline in Effyaders before the Germans sneak across the fords.

edit - it also sounds like we need some additional commanders for the reinforcements arriving in the evening...

I do not see a trenchline in Effyaders, and it would be foolish to send our reinforcements so far to the rear with out any spotting. Our infantry can arrive onto the map within sight range of the Canal anyways, se can accomplish the same effect by deploying one brigade and having them take a roundabout route towards the Stream, that passes by the major bridges into Effyaders. Put that brigade on "pivot and attack orders".

Also, destroy the R1 bridge. Look how easily the boche snuck troops past us. We even lost an engineer chit because we were obsessed with digging frontline fortifications without an actual frontline.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Why the R1 bridge? The are much closer to the R3 bridge.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Slim, did you swear a blood feud on that bridge or something like that?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Well, I guess the good news it that our infantry will be marching directly onto the German cavalry.

I do not see a trenchline in Effyaders, and it would be foolish to send our reinforcements so far to the rear with out any spotting. Our infantry can arrive onto the map within sight range of the Canal anyways, se can accomplish the same effect by deploying one brigade and having them take a roundabout route towards the Stream, that passes by the major bridges into Effyaders. Put that brigade on "pivot and attack orders".

Also, destroy the R1 bridge. Look how easily the boche snuck troops past us. We even lost an engineer chit because we were obsessed with digging frontline fortifications without an actual frontline.

The *Foret* de Effyaders, aka the trenches that mydad recently vacated. I don't think anyone is advocating falling back on the town yet.

There is a decent possibility that the Germans at Bois are the rump survivors of Stethoscope rather than the full strength brigade. The survivors are estimated to be 2x cavalry chits, 1x MG, 1x AH and a Brigade HQ. It would make sense to send them out to probe the lines at night, and would explain why we don't see any units in the northern half of the Bois trenches.

Also, before folks panic too much the wire is still in place at the southern ford and the Germans will have to bring up engineers to clear it. Until then it will significantly delay any full-sized units trying to cross, since they'll have to break out of marching formation and cross single file to get around the wire.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I am willing to take any of the three brigades or the division, based on army needs.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

Slim, did you swear a blood feud on that bridge or something like that?

R1 delenda est.

Hunt11 posted:

Why the R1 bridge? The are much closer to the R3 bridge.

We can deploy from the Southwest, we can't deploy in the North West. I am not worried that the Germans will be seizing Effyaders today, I am worried that poor frontline coverage will allow the Boche to sneak a small unit through at some point. That, or force us to post units in Effyaders itself, which will be a pain in the rear end to ever reposition. If the bridge is gone, we can keep our men on the East bank of the canal.

The *Foret* de Effyaders, aka the trenches that mydad recently vacated. I don't think anyone is advocating falling back on the town yet.

There is a decent possibility that the Germans at Bois are the rump survivors of Stethoscope rather than the full strength brigade. The survivors are estimated to be 2x cavalry chits, 1x MG, 1x AH and a Brigade HQ. It would make sense to send them out to probe the lines at night, and would explain why we don't see any units in the northern half of the Bois trenches.

Also, before folks panic too much the wire is still in place at the southern ford and the Germans will have to bring up engineers to clear it. Until then it will significantly delay any full-sized units trying to cross, since they'll have to break out of marching formation and cross single file to get around the wire.

It's likely, but not necessarily true. Either way, concentration of force is better, and we should probe and attack with both an infantry brigade and my dad's cavalry.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

I need more data.

Questions I have:
How many enemy units do we think are going on the southern road?
Where are they going? Do we want to deploy units to stop them?
(I dont like have enemy scouts behind my lines)
Where do we want to put the new brigades?
Do we want to rush the third brigade?
Where do we want the observation plane?

So far, all I can say is "I think they favor the southern path." We need more to work with then that.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
So, after talking things over with ARF in Roll20, here are a couple of notes ideas.

The Germans probably have men in the J Trench and/or in the Bois de Blob. It's been 10 turns since the last saw anybody down there and they've probably advancing since then. If I was in their shoes, I'd have a cav brigade on the western edge of the Bois.

So, here is what I am contemplating.

The arriving infantry send a scout company forwards to draw fire. If they don't take any fire, great. The Infantry brigades will clear the Bois de Blob and then assault the J Trench.

If they do take fire, we'll lose on company. But they Germans will have revealed themselves, giving the infantry a target to fire on and my cav a (distracted) target to charge.

Then the infantry can finsih clearing the Bois and then assault J trench, while the cav moves north to secure the middle trenches.

We will need to clarify the spotting, ambush, and charging rules in forests to see if this is legal/wise and would work the way I think it will. We'll also need Trin to confirm our deployment zones.

Also, we will need very careful timing and planning to make this work. So staff officers, sharpen your pencils.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 21, 2017

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

FYI Trin said in chat earlier that additional details on our arriving units, where they'll come from, etc will be available tomorrow.

Keep in mind that regardless of what units might be hanging around Bois de Blob right now, don't lose sight of the fact that there *are* more Germans coming from the east today.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Do we have any evidence of Germans having men in that trench?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

my dad posted:

Do we have any evidence of Germans having men in that trench?

Exactly 10 turns ago, German cavalry were spotted inside of the trench firing out of it, killing one of our engineers. They were not spotted since. Theoretically they could have immediately moved off, but it is more likely they have stayed the night, or sent at least some or all of their cavalry units into Bois de Blob.

Keep in mind that regardless of what units might be hanging around Bois de Blob right now, don't lose sight of the fact that there *are* more Germans coming from the east today.

It's because of this that ideally I would like Bois de Blob and it's trench to be cleared ASAP to free the cavalry to move off and intercept any Germans that cross the ford elsewhere. I believe an immediate attack on the trench from our cavalry without infantry support is too risky, as is letting them sit there once the enemy cavalry moves off into Bois de Blob as German infantry enter the trench. If the cavalry move directly into our cavalry while Germans are in the trench behind them it'll be a total wipe.

The only other solution to free up our forces faster that I can think of is abandoning bois de blob to the enemy, however that gives them a beachhead to the south and also threatens our center positions along the ford.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 21, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
"Attack on the trench" being used instead of "Moving into the trench" implies there being enemy who could have magically predicted the exact location of where we were going to dig up a trench.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I used it interchangeably with move since moving is "an attack" rather than a defence in the game's rules, but hypothetically I can't see why a conditional that says "occupy and hold any trenches you find in this area" wouldn't be allowed. I haven't been paying too close attention to the game since the division I'm in doesn't have any assets on the field yet though so the fact that that trench wasn't built at the poiint the enemy issued orders was a thing I missed.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 21, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You can't make conditionals based on erections you haven't spotted when the order was given.

e: Admittedly, a trench is the opposite of an erection.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

my dad posted:

You can't make conditionals based on erections you haven't spotted when the order was given.

e: Admittedly, a trench is the opposite of an erection.

Ah, yeah I suppose that is true. I don't remember the wording of the rules but I assumed it was to prevent someone writing "avoid all barbed wire" and didn't really think about it applying to trenches.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
As an aside, I will laugh my rear end off if we lose this game because of fear of ghosts.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
I'm in a bit of a rush, so here is what I'd like to do in broad strokes. my dad and Hunt11, I apologize for the somewhat scattershot nature of this. Please consider these to be orders unless I specify otherwise at a later date.

Having thought things over, it is very, very likely the Germans have cavalrymen in the western edge of Bois de Blob. It'd be odd if they sat still for 10 turns after killing our engineer. The Bois is a logical overnight objective since it commands the crossroads the Germans probably think our reinforcements are coming down.

This is actually good for us, we have a chance to catch that force in a pincer from two sides and destroy it. Local superiority is a beautiful thing.

So, we'll need a plan to deal with this -- here is what I am thinking.

Phase 1
The Infantry:
The arriving infantry from 7th Infantry Division (thatbastardken) will move up to draw fire from any Germans in the Bois de Blob.

There are two ways to do this: 1) send a single scout company to draw fire. This exposes fewer men to danger, but will only draw fire from a few German units, so it may not reveal enough Germans for my cav to attack. 2) get as many men as possible in a battle line and advance towards the Bois de Blob. If there are Germans in the wood, then they'll get fired on. The BEF may take a few more losses, but they will be able to fire back. Plus they will exposed more Germans for the 7th Cavalry Brigade to charge.

The Cavalry:
As soon as any German cavalry are revealed when they fire on our infantry, our cavalry charge into their rear and rout them.

Phase 2
The Infantry:
Finish clearing the Bois de Blob, then assault and secure the J Trench.

The Cavalry:
Help clear the Bois de Blob, then move to the central trenches and the southern edge of the Bois de Effyaders to secure the M4 fords.

All the while, Hunt 11's engineers can be wiring up the northern fords and building trenches around the Zone 3(?) Crossroads as a fallback position for our forces. It'd be nice to build some trenches in the Freres farms for the Belgians if they show up.

As I said before -- STAFF we need to clarify the spotting, ambush, and charging rules in forests to see if this is legal and wise and that things will work the way I think they will.

We'll also need Trin to confirm our deployment zones for the infantry

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Reinforcements map:

A division consists of three big BEF brigades (two arriving immediately, one arriving in the next update after this one) plus a single semi-autonomous brigade, organised into two groups of 4 18-pounder guns. Guns travel on-road at 12" in single file. Your artillery arrives on Turn 51.

Here is a reminder of the rules for indirect fire.

Your artillery may still use direct fire according to the rules, and is still subject to the rules about limbering and unlimbering. However, it may also use indirect fire when directed to do so. Indirect fire range is currently 40". All guns in a brigade must fire at once, and target an area equivalent to the number of chits in the brigade. (So, a brigade with one gun targets a 50px single-chit sized square; a brigade with four guns can arrange four 50px target squares however it likes; a brigade with eight guns can arrange eight squares, and so on.)

I say again for emphasis, all guns in a brigade will fire at once when using indirect fire.

Friendly fire is possible when using Indirect Fire. If units from opposing sides are within 2" of the target, I will determine who, if anyone, gets hit by the fire. Guns using Indirect Fire must still have 2" of clearance in order to fire over the head of friendly units.

Ordered Fire

An artillery brigade may use Ordered Fire on any turn when it is unlimbered. The relevant Artillery Commander selects a point to be targeted (subject to a Change of Orders roll if required) and the turn on which the guns should fire, and as long as the orders get through, the guns will open fire on that point.

Supporting Fire

An artillery brigade may be set to Supporting Fire by its commander. When another brigade spots the enemy, they will send a message to the artillery, and the artillery may then target and use Indirect Fire against the enemy companies. This is subject to the same 8"/16"/24" (and etc.) time lag as for a Change of Orders. The closer you put your guns to the infantry, the quicker they respond, but the more likely they are to be overrun by an enemy breakthrough. Once the message gets through, the artillery spots the enemy as though they were positioned in place of the spotting company/companies.

Limited Ammunition

Owing to the difficulty of supply, the shortfall in munitions manufacture, and the prolific use of shells already in the war, each group within a brigade is limited to no more than 12 indirect fire missions per day. There is, at present, no limit on the number of Direct Fire missions you may use. Your ammunition comes up at 0800 each day.

Standing Orders

The following standing orders apply to artillery brigades (if the Artillery Commander can think of anything else that should be SOs and not conditionals, I'll take suggestions). As before, bold indicates the default, and italics alternatives. You may issue different SOs to different groups within a brigade.

Override Ordered Fire to support friendly brigades?
Yes
No

By default, a brigade cancels any orders to use Ordered Fire on a turn when it is informed that an infantry brigade needs supporting fire.

Minimum number of fire missions remaining to use Supporting Fire

This allows you to control whether the artillery should automatically use Supporting Fire until it runs out of ammunition, or conserve a certain number of fire missions for use during the remainder of the day.

Break off automatically when enemy companies are Spotted within
16"
12"
8"
4"

This allows you to control when the guns should break off to avoid being overrun by another lunatic brigadier on a horse. An artillery brigade that breaks off or retreats suppressed cannot then use Ordered Fire until it gets new orders, but it will attempt to unlimber after breaking off, and then continues using Supporting or Direct Fire until the end of the update. When guns break off or retreat suppressed, they may limber and move immediately, on the same turn.

When multiple requests for support are received, favour requests from
Nearest brigade
Brigade spotting most enemies
[INSERT BRIGADE NUMBER HERE] Brigade

This helps me clarify who should get support if your guns get requests from multiple brigades. Along the same lines...

When two brigades issue requests for support
Support one brigade with all guns
Split in half and support both brigades with half strength

I am still trying to figure out how difficult it is to keep track of two groups within a brigade. At my discretion, they may be forced to operate collectively as a single brigade.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Got it, bossman.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Excellent. Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

For discussion

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Loel posted:

For discussion

As a reminder, our artillery has an indirect range of 40". However, the central road, just on the eastern edge of the vallee, is just within indirect range of all crossings, so I think that's where we want them to be located once the germans are repelled.

One option would be to get the guns there and let the infantry attacking the bois de blob use them for either direct or supporting fire missions.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

General directives: Reinforcements sweep the west, mop up any scouts the Boche have
Establish defenses along the M1-7 line / zone 4 / the central forests

Bonus objective: Find the main enemy body

Do we have commanders for the new units?

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 2, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
So I saw in the Roll20 that this:
code:
Pere Loel (GM): im spitballing, but yes
at the moment I have no idea where the enemy is, what approach they are using, or where they are getting reinforcements

Hunt11 (RHA Engineers) (GM): None of us do

Pere Loel (GM): so Im just trying to cover the M1-7 bridges :v
if they got behind us, the reinforcements should run across them
Is the basis of our deployment.

If we don't know where the enemy is, spreading out our forces into mutually unsupportable positions is a bad plan!

Send both infantry brigades into Bois de Blob. With a huge concentration of force, we can destroy the Boche cavalry and survive anything else they send.

I highly doubt the Germans are advancing on a broad front. Why probe with the cavalry at all, in a risky night-time maneuver, if you're just going burst in from elsewhere? They're going to be trying to support their successful ford.

If the boche have the numbers to advance North and South, then our own numbers won't be sufficient to stop them everywhere. The only answer is that to concentrate our forces. We still have the luxury of a fair amount of ground, and lots of uncertainty for the German side.

Edit: Also, please remember, we do not need to enter the map in Marching order unless we are entering on a road.

Edit edit: Destroy the R1 Bridge.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 22, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Since nobody else seems to be doing it:

:siren:Infantry division commander, and infantry brigade and artillery commanders, please make a post stating your role and saying that you are still participating in the thread.:siren:

And now, back to being a grumbling brigadier wondering who put hallucinogenic mushrooms in the high command's tea.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

my dad posted:

:siren:Infantry division commander, and infantry brigade and artillery commanders, please make a post stating your role and saying that you are still participating in the thread.:siren:

And now, back to being a grumbling brigadier wondering who put hallucinogenic mushrooms in the high command's tea.

This is probably the opposite of what you want, but unfortunately I think I may have to step down, since I'm preparing to move to Long Island this week and I can't guarantee I'll have time to draft up orders until I get settled. I'm definitely open to taking over reinforcements later in the battle, however.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is probably the opposite of what you want, but unfortunately I think I may have to step down, since I'm preparing to move to Long Island this week and I can't guarantee I'll have time to draft up orders until I get settled. I'm definitely open to taking over reinforcements later in the battle, however.

It's infinitely preferable to just not posting anything. :)

Real life issues beat silly internet pixelmans issues, and you can always drop in for another role once you've actually got the time for it, nobody is going to hold a grudge.

That all having been said :siren:I do believe we now have an open position for an enterprising staff officer to take over:siren:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

my dad posted:

It's infinitely preferable to just not posting anything. :)

Real life issues beat silly internet pixelmans issues, and you can always drop in for another role once you've actually got the time for it, nobody is going to hold a grudge.

That all having been said :siren:I do believe we now have an open position for an enterprising staff officer to take over:siren:

I'm available to step in for the infantry brigade once someone at Division HQ issues some direction o7

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I'm working on some emergency divisional orders right now.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I'm available to step in for the infantry brigade once someone at Division HQ issues some direction o7

You are now in command of 20th Infantry Brigade replacing Acebuckeye13.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'll follow any orders I'm given, but I do have a plea to the division commander: Please let me occupy the nice, already dug trenches in front of the nice, already placed barbed wire, which itself is in front of some nice chokepoints.

Also: :siren:LOEL:siren:, would you kindly extend the deadline? The situation is a bit of a mess, and we can't guarantee everyone will get their orders in time without an extension.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Trin, requesting delay to Friday while we sort out the new command structure

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If we don't know where the enemy is, spreading out our forces into mutually unsupportable positions is a bad plan!

Send both infantry brigades into Bois de Blob. With a huge concentration of force, we can destroy the Boche cavalry and survive anything else they send.

My understanding is we're getting this:

Turn 49: 2 brigades (infantry)
Turn 50: 1 brigade (infantry)
Turn 51: 1 brigade (arty)

With that in mind, yes, I agree with you :D

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I would love the deadline extended as I am writing emergency orders from what is likely the opposite side of the world and only just woke up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

my dad posted:

21ST infantry brigade checking in !

There was a set of provisional orders for the 7th division posted a while back, but I suspect they've been overtaken by events.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The deadline has been extended.

The soft deadline for orders is now :siren: 5pm GMT, Thursday 23 March.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Loel posted:

My understanding is we're getting this:

Turn 49: 2 brigades (infantry)
Turn 50: 1 brigade (infantry)
Turn 51: 1 brigade (arty)

With that in mind, yes, I agree with you :D

Trin Tragula posted:

A division consists of three big BEF brigades (two arriving immediately, one arriving in the next update after this one) plus a single semi-autonomous brigade, organised into two groups of 4 18-pounder guns. Guns travel on-road at 12" in single file. Your artillery arrives on Turn 51.

The third infantry brigade is arriving in 8 turns.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The third infantry brigade is arriving in 8 turns.

Gotcha. In that case ...

Turn 49: 2 brigades (infantry) Bois de Blob
Turn 51: 1 brigade (arty) Vallee
Turn 57: 1 brigade (infantry) Effyanders

Like so

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I highly doubt the Germans are advancing on a broad front. Why probe with the cavalry at all, in a risky night-time maneuver, if you're just going burst in from elsewhere? They're going to be trying to support their successful ford.

If the boche have the numbers to advance North and South, then our own numbers won't be sufficient to stop them everywhere. The only answer is that to concentrate our forces. We still have the luxury of a fair amount of ground, and lots of uncertainty for the German side.

Edit: Also, please remember, we do not need to enter the map in Marching order unless we are entering on a road.

Edit edit: Destroy the R1 Bridge.

Yeah, enter in battle formation, it looks like you'll be moving directly into combat. Shifting out of marching stance under fire is no fun, and in this case, not going to be much of a time-saver.

• Locked thread