Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Wow, I loved ME3:MP, but maybe I'm just spoiled with games since then.. but this is a juddery clusterfuck mess.

Like, it's SO bad.

Wow.

It's peer-to-peer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Snak posted:

It's peer to peer.

It's not even just the lag. The movement is super stiff, so locating/punching a dude who is just to your side is tedious and slow. Cover is auto-snap, so anytime you go near ANYTHING your guy/gal kinda stops to kneel, which stutters poo poo... and even just cycling around and looking around the room is not smooth when nothing is going on.

This feels really ancient and crappy.

[edit] Hell, even your dash move feels bad and like your camera can't keep up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snak posted:

It's peer-to-peer.

lmao no way

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Snak posted:

It's peer-to-peer.
If they can't be bothered to run servers for a game like that, they really just don't care.

It was the only part of Andromeda that I was hoping they DID care about.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samurai Sanders posted:

If they can't be bothered to run servers for a game like that, they really just don't care.

It's evident in the gameplay. I wouldn;t expect this kind of rough-edged jank in a B-tier early 2000's game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It was confirmed back in January that there would be no dedicated servers.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Snak posted:

It was confirmed back in January that there would be no dedicated servers.

If I hadn't already lost all enthusiasm for Andromeda I would be weeping into my cornflakes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think after that Modern Warfare meme everyone knows they can get away with peer to peer and not get any real flak for it, ever

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mass effect multiplayer is all PVE though isn't it? There's no deathmatch?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Mass effect multiplayer is all PVE though isn't it? There's no deathmatch?

Yeah I think 3 was the same tho

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think after that Modern Warfare meme everyone knows they can get away with peer to peer and not get any real flak for it, ever

Remind me, PS4 is still a platform where you have to pay a subscription fee to even access the multiplayer features, right? What are they spending that money on if they won't even spring for servers on which to run the multiplayer features that people are paying for?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's PVE. It always has been. It's a horde mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh2xOPLIKEs

Look upon this and be dissatisfied.

I played 4 waves of one online game and sealed up the Gamefly disc to be sent back.

It feels terrible.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah I think 3 was the same tho
Yeah, just waves of enemies but they executed it really well. Apparently not so much this time though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

Remind me, PS4 is still a platform where you have to pay a subscription fee to even access the multiplayer features, right? What are they spending that money on if they won't even spring for servers on which to run the multiplayer features that people are paying for?

isn't it developers' choice at this point? Like that was the reason (or one of them) that The Last of Us had an online pass, because they utilised Sony's online stuff instead of separately creating their own (even though Naughty Dog is owned by Sony, so I'm not sure how that works out in the end). I can imagine EA turning that down because of laziness or greed, if they're the ones responsible for the decision.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Feenix posted:

It's PVE. It always has been. It's a horde mode.

Look upon this and be dissatisfied.

What am I looking at that is supposed to be bad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

the devs make servers for their games (or don't in this case I guess). sony doesn't put up and maintain servers for every multiplayer game on the platform

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

Yeah looks fine to me :confused:

I never played ME3 multiplayer so I don't really mind and I think the SP looks AWFUL but this footage doesn't look bad

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

He's rubber banding all over the place in that video, looks like a laggy p2p connection with bad compensation.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Manatee Cannon posted:

the devs make servers for their games (or don't in this case I guess). sony doesn't put up and maintain servers for every multiplayer game on the platform

OK cool why do we have to pay for PS+ to access those features then?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

because you will pay to access those features

I mean, plus has other stuff that's cool, but that's why mp is gated behind the paywall

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I really don't think there's any cost side to why multiplayer requires PS+. They just wanted to make extra money and decided to do it that way.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Exactly, it's economics 101, people will pay for it so they charge for it. Everyone wants to play online on their console so they have no choice.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Evil Canadian posted:

It may not translate well to an observer. There's no smoking gun of badness in the video. It's just chaos and stiff controls in a cocktail of frustration. Aiming at things near you (whether guns or melee) is hard because you walk like a robot on tank treads that can't stop quickly, so you overshoot everything in terms of momentum. The panning and circling of the camera is not smooth...

It's just a mess to play. Sorry if the video didn't really convey that well. I won't be playing anymore so I can't really make a better example. :)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't play multiplayer much and there hasn't been a PS+ freebie in a while that has really grabbed me but PS+ pays for itself for me by discounts on games.

edit: I take that back; on the Vita, they often put VNs and dating games up as PS+ freebies in Japan, games I would never buy for myself but I always wanted to give a try.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I still pay for PS+ for 10GB of cloud storage.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
How much is the helldivers on sale with all dlc? I own the base game but it won't let me buy the ultimate edition and the dlc pack is 25 bucks.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

strategery posted:

How much is the helldivers on sale with all dlc? I own the base game but it won't let me buy the ultimate edition and the dlc pack is 25 bucks.

at least without PS+, it's $19.99 stateside

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

So this is all a big misunderstanding. I referred to 2B being slutty (as in slut-like) and looking like she was dressed for a co-ed Halloween party, but I wasn't using the term in a derogatory manner. In the context of a co-ed Halloween party, sluttiness is more or less appropriate. In the context of the video game, sluttiness is inappropriate. In no way did i mean to convey that sluttiness was an objectively bad thing, though i find it weird that people became so defensive over a perceived slight on the characters personality

It's you. You are literally the worst goon.

JFC...I'd forgotten about some of that stuff. Holy poo poo, I remembered Resi 2, Tenchu, and Xenogears...but totally forgot some of that other stuff being in said span of time.

Marvel vs Capcom, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Bust a Groove, V8, Parasite Eve, FF Tactics, Starcraft, 1080, Einhander, Gran Turismo, Unreal, Banjo, FZeroX...just amazing. Doesn't even count the latter half of the year with Brood War, MGS, Zelda, Half-Life, Baldur's Gate, Oddworld Exodus, Rogue Trip, Fallout 2, NFS Hot Pursuit...so many games that would later become entire series'.

The year to end all years. The end of the golden age.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Feenix posted:

It may not translate well to an observer. There's no smoking gun of badness in the video. It's just chaos and stiff controls in a cocktail of frustration. Aiming at things near you (whether guns or melee) is hard because you walk like a robot on tank treads that can't stop quickly, so you overshoot everything in terms of momentum. The panning and circling of the camera is not smooth...

It's just a mess to play. Sorry if the video didn't really convey that well. I won't be playing anymore so I can't really make a better example. :)

All of this looks like the usual awkwardness of playing a shooter with a controller, because you can't move the camera at an arbitrary rate. On PC the controls feel miles better than they did in ME3, which had no fewer than 5 separate and really important functions all tied to the same button, along with "sticky" cover that made it really easy to get killed by the controls on higher difficulties. Also andromeda has a FOV slider so you can get substantially more vision to work with, which does away with a lot of ME3's awkwardness. At max it still won't give you the kind of FOV you'd see in something like uncharted, but it's a big improvement.

Other aspects of the feel are definitely worse though, such as severely weaker-feeling melee attacks that have no screenshake, and enemies who are even more spongey than in ME3.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Picked up War of the Monsters, Resogun, God of War 3 Remastered and Everything today. I'm excited to let my son mess around in Everything, and I already love listening to Alan Watts lectures so... neat.

I want a PS4 Fat Princess but not interested in Fat Princess Adventures. Meh.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 22, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Morby posted:

OMFG THIS. I just started HZD (which is amazing), but I'm also about halfway through Yakuza 0 and FFXV. I have Nioh, but haven't even booted it yet. I've barely scratched the surface on Watch Dogs 2, and Mafia 3 is still in the box. Also I have a bunch of content to clear in FFXIV. And Miku is so drat fun.

Next major release I'm looking forward to is Tekken, so hopefully I'll have time between now and then to clear some of this backlog.

Really there isn't poo poo coming out for the rest of the year so it's probably ok they all got front loaded in the long run.

I honestly can't think of much slated for the rest of 2017 after March is over. Anything great I'm missing? Sounds like Holiday 2017 is going to be pretty barren.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Really there isn't poo poo coming out for the rest of the year so it's probably ok they all got front loaded in the long run.

I honestly can't think of much slated for the rest of 2017 after March is over. Anything great I'm missing? Sounds like Holiday 2017 is going to be pretty barren.

E3 hasn't happened yet and you can expect a fair number of announcements there.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

veni veni veni posted:

Just on PS4? I'm excited for Persona 5, Yooka-Laylee, the new version of The Silver Case, Prey looks fun, Tekken 7 is finally coming, I want that Crash Bandicoot trilogy, Ys 8 is gonna be great, Yakuza: Kiwami is coming this summer, and GT Sport is allegedly coming this year.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

we'll probably see all that we're getting in q3-4 of this year at e3

isn't that how it usually goes anyway?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Horizon ZD got "Invert X- Axis" patched in, so Samurai Paul can play it now.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 is the only thing I can think of, but that's almost certainly being delayed. It's a bit sad actually, barring an E3 surprise or three it really does seem like the rest of 2017 is gonna suck.

Maybe South Park 2 will come out one day too.

edit: Uncharted The Lost Legacy is 2017 maybe?!

edit 2: oh and Shadow of War I guess.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 22, 2017

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
No good games on the horizon? Persona 5, Starblood Arena, Polybius, getting hyped for Farpoint then wishing one had bought the Aim controller separately, then it's E3 time!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

E3 is more about teasing games 3-4 years away now. Like Mass Effect: Andromeda was teased in 2014.

Unless the No Man's Sky debacle finally scared developers into revving down the hype machines.

also wtf is Polybius. I can't even find anything on youtube.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Isn't that an urban legend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I should have said that there aren't a lot of AAA big games scheduled for the rest of the year. Not that 2017 had nothing coming out.

But yeah, E3 will probably have 3 or 4 "surprise it's out on Nov" big titles.

I'm not counting on red dead not gettin delayed either.