Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Man. When it comes to spooning on the couch, Wolfgang reminds me of me as a small kid being told to have a bath. I didn't wanna, didn't wanna, didn't wanna, then when I did I didn't wanna get out. He doesn't do it often, but when he does he looooooves it.

Just my luck he hopped up just now for a cuddle, on a day when I get woken at like 5:30 by people yelling outside, and I pass out on the couch with my arms full of soft, warm, purring fluff. Man. Life is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Hyperlynx posted:

Man. When it comes to spooning on the couch, Wolfgang reminds me of me as a small kid being told to have a bath. I didn't wanna, didn't wanna, didn't wanna, then when I did I didn't wanna get out. He doesn't do it often, but when he does he looooooves it.

Just my luck he hopped up just now for a cuddle, on a day when I get woken at like 5:30 by people yelling outside, and I pass out on the couch with my arms full of soft, warm, purring fluff. Man. Life is hard.

There really is no substitute for warm living fur is there? Even when it's a 17 year old clapped out cat who smells a bit like dusty carpet, press your face in there and enjoy.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Peridot's thrown up three times in the last week or so. The first time had a large hairball in it so I assumed it was just that but the last two haven't been hairballs. It's pretty watery and projected an impressive distance and even worse than normal to clean up. She's definitely still keeping food down so I don't really want to haul her to the vet just yet (she hates strangers and is unexaminable unless she's unconscious) but I'm wondering if it could just be a case of her stomach not having settled after the first time or something. The most obvious cause is her food, which I recently switched, but I did switch it very slowly and they have been eating mostly the new food for a month or so now, it's just that I switched fully to the new food shortly before it started coming back up again. She's an inside-only cat, we don't have any houseplants or anything and she doesn't go around chewing on things anyway.

I don't really have a question I guess beyond wondering if anyone has any other ideas for what could be causing it or if anyone has a cat whose stomach just takes a while to settle after they have a hairball.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
A couple of weeks ago I posted that I was a little concerned that my remaining cat didn't care when he lost his friend.

Oh boy was I wrong. I thought he got clingy before but a couple of days later, it's like he became paranoid that I might disappear too and just would not leave me alone. Being able to see me wasn't enough; now I had to see HIM at almost all hours of the day, and he started to leave his food unfinished unless I was there to watch him eat (and he'd pop his head up to make sure I was still there). And then at night he'd constantly cry out, get up on my desk and paw at my computer monitor like this for most of the night while I'm trying to sleep.

He's only now finally started to settle down somewhat, and my family's been making extra certain he's getting plenty of attention. At least he's still eating, but I seriously underestimated the impact this was going to have on him. It's still too soon for me now, but I think he needs another buddy. I just want to make sure he's adjusted before looking around for another companion.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
^^^ This is what declawed Princess does to the couch and what Todd does whenever he wants to get out of a room. At least he paws instead of digging his fuckin' claws in like Lillie does.

Ratzap posted:

smells a bit like dusty carpet

Toddy and Princess are both about 8 or 9 and we call them Carpet Keys (our kids call the cats "keys") because their fur has that great dusty carpet smell :3: Both my wife and I bury our face in their fur just to sniff them sometimes.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
Tiger looking out the window:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jellybean chitters like a squirrel when she sees a bird out on the balcony and it's hilarious. Domino just paws at the glass door or climbs the screen if it's open. But she stands there and chitters in an attempt to sound vicious I assume.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
My sister's going on a trip, so that means I get to host Oscar for the week! He and Tuna are getting along just as well as they did last time, so I get to watch some friendly cat wrestling (which has, on one occasion taken place right on top of my feet).

The only problem is this makes me want to get a second cat full time, because CATS.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Hi All,

This is Bu:

She's a 13-ish year old Abyssinian in my care for the year. I've just discovered a sore on her back. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it, not even when I touch it, but it still worries me.

(I've got large-ish hands, the thing is about a square cm).

I've got an appointment at the vet tomorrow, but in the meantime, anyone know what it might be?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Looks like ringworm at first glance.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
So I just got a cat a week or so ago, she's around 8 and chill and she's getting used to me and I already bought her a stupid expensive cat tree that matches my decor but that she only uses the bottom shelf of to lounge. Anyway she left me a little present just outside the litter box (I got the ModKat flip box model and use World's Best for the flushing convenience) in the bathroom and she left a little poo mark on the carpet (so it looks like the poo got stuck to her fur). Any tips to wrangle the cat in order to cut the tuff around her poopybutthole? She'll scamper away if it looks like I I'm approaching her with two hands out or if I'm carrying scissors. Should I try to burrito her? Give her all the treats?

Here's the little stinker.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Animale posted:

So I just got a cat a week or so ago, she's around 8 and chill and she's getting used to me and I already bought her a stupid expensive cat tree that matches my decor but that she only uses the bottom shelf of to lounge. Anyway she left me a little present just outside the litter box (I got the ModKat flip box model and use World's Best for the flushing convenience) in the bathroom and she left a little poo mark on the carpet (so it looks like the poo got stuck to her fur). Any tips to wrangle the cat in order to cut the tuff around her poopybutthole? She'll scamper away if it looks like I I'm approaching her with two hands out or if I'm carrying scissors. Should I try to burrito her? Give her all the treats?

Your cat has a magnificent moustache and beard, good sir.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Animale posted:

A purrito should work, but please be very careful. Cats have a lot of loose and folding skin, so do it like a hair stylist--use a comb underneath where you're going to trim as a guard, and only cut above the comb. It'll go through fur and protect the floppy cat skin underneath from getting caught in the scissors. I do the same thing for the small mats she gets in her neck ruff because my poor idiot cat can't keep her fuzz out of her mouth when she sleeps.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just use a beard trimmer for my cat's shaving needs. No risk of cutting.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Who's got little white paws?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Synthbuttrange posted:

I just use a beard trimmer for my cat's shaving needs. No risk of cutting.

I tried that one, but the blades were too dull... and I got poo poo all through the mechanism. The comb is a good idea, though, I might pinch that.

I wrassle Wolfgang down and secure him with my legs around his waist, leaving my hands free for his backside maintenance. But he's really tolerant, as cats go.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Update on my situation with one of our cats peeing on the dining room rug!

So I bought a new litter box (a giant corner box with a lid, seriously this thing is massive) and another gallon jug of Urine Destroyer. First I set up the new litter box in the guest bedroom, in another spot of the room and used the cleaner on the run to try and get it to stop smelling, this did nothing to prevent her from peeing on the rug. Then I swapped the litter box positions in the room, again still peed on the rug. Then I put the old box out in the dining room, which she ignored and peed on the rug. Finally we moved put both boxes in the guest bedroom right next to each other (I also scrubbed down the older box really well with urine destroyer) and we rolled up the dining room rug and put it away, we are now on day 5 of her just using her litter boxes!

The 2 boxes next to each other in the guest room looks kinda dumb but the bed in there hides them from view and if they're being used I don't really care at this point. The dining room looks a lil strange without the rug, but at this point I think the rug is probably toast and we'll toss it, maybe try getting a new rug in a few months once we've really established the box pattern with the kitties. What's funny is that now whenever I scoop those 2 boxes the smaller open one only ever has pee in it and the large covered one only ever has poop, cats are weird.

Here's our lil pee bandit:

Bonus shot of our other kitty:

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I was chasing the cat around and feeding her treats but she wouldn't let me get close to her, I eventually gave up once she hid under the tub. I went to feed her wet food for dinner and she came out and was basically like "do whatever while I eat", so I was able to trim her butt tuffs. Cats are weird, man.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

AHHH ITS A 2-HEADED MONSTER!!!

Oh wait, no, it's just Sardine and Jackie cuddling during the big snowstorm (until I woke them up). I love how their fur/markings are very similar but very different. It's like, warm classic tabby on one side and cool mackeral tabby on the other. Massive polydactyl mitts on one, and delicate tiny little slippers for the other.

Jackie was very displeased that I couldn't even open the back door as a result of the 3-foot snow drift in front of it and thus she couldn't really go out. She wouldn't believe me, and kept meowing, so I had to go down and let her try and walk on snow and wind up falling in after the first step and getting buried in snow. It was pretty amusing, though - she's got more than enough fur and fat and Maine Coon genetics to survive the cold/snow but she still acts like a total prima donna and won't stay out for more than 5 seconds if it's so much as below freezing, usually.

And it's really just to mark up the backyard and possibly scare off the mean neighbor cat who tries to encroach. I know how important it is for indoor/outdoor cats to mark their territory, so I let her wander around the backyard perimeter marking and rubbing on her usual monuments (bench, tree-trunk, side of garage, etc). She's made it clear that this is very important to do, so we compromise.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 17, 2017

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

kaworu, this is a weird aside but I just had to say I read these threads all the time and your love, care and devotion to those two goobers always makes me happy :3: You seem like a real good pet parent.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone else have a cat that loves to groom himself?

He doesn't lick himself till he's bald or anything but for the near 10 years I've had him he loving LOVES to groom himself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alteisen posted:

Does anyone else have a cat that loves to groom himself?

He doesn't lick himself till he's bald or anything but for the near 10 years I've had him he loving LOVES to groom himself.

Diagnosis: is a cat.

Cats do it all the time if their fur is messed up, they think they smell funny (i.e. you've been petting them), or they feel like it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cythereal posted:

Diagnosis: is a cat.

Cats do it all the time if their fur is messed up, they think they smell funny (i.e. you've been petting them), or they feel like it.

My cat will sit in my lap and just go to town on cleaning herself. Usually when I have to get something out of the oven, or use the human litter box.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cat is either stalking, asleep, begging for food, or grooming itself.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

porkswordonboard posted:

kaworu, this is a weird aside but I just had to say I read these threads all the time and your love, care and devotion to those two goobers always makes me happy :3: You seem like a real good pet parent.

Awww thank you, really! :3: It actually means a lot to hear that. I really do adore my cats, and probably spend a little bit too much time thinking about them, heh. It's also immensely gratifying when the love/attention/care pays off, you know? I was talking to my friend yesterday about how casual Sardine is around me now, and how less afraid she is of humans in general.

I mean, it wasn't all that long when I adopted her at the end of last summer, and she spent practically a solid month never leaving the top of the fridge unless nobody else was around. I spent weeks just talking to her without looking at her, leaving my hand a foot or two away from here but never touching her, just trying to slowly re-acclimate her to humans. And now, I mean, it's been six months since she's been on top of that fridge, and it *really* is like she's a different cat.

But it feels so REWARDING to do that because she is just so much happier! I had to let her and Jackie do their own slow mutual acclimation eventually, but even that succeeded and has been rewarding for both of them... Lol, like I used to have to clean the top of Jackies head on occasion because when I feed her wet foot she's always moving around and practically has her face IN the bowl already, so on occasion gross-smelling catfood-juice would get on her head and naturally I'd have to delicately clean it :rolleyes: But not anymore! Now I have Sardy to do the grooming for me - which is frankly a relief.

I also have to say I've been very lucky that (with the exception of Jackie getting a UTI every few years) both of them are like, the picture of health *knock on wood*. Hope that keeps up.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Princess curled up next to me on the couch last night and groomed herself for two hours straight. I wish I was kidding. Perdy likes to curl up in my daughter's saucer chair and give herself a bath for hours on end too. Crazy drat kooks.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I have one of those litter box furniture houses in my apartment living room, which I want to try to hide a bit with a plant on top. Any suggestions for a cat friendly plant that is decently large with some height to it? I found some online, but the issue I am having is that I am not sure what the little ones will try to eat, and I'm not sure about light level. I have 2 large windows in this room that face due west, but they're on the opposite side of the room (about 17 feet) and I don't have space to move the box.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Anybody have any suggestions to help a cat when they have a feline herpes flare up? Last time our cat Bean had it it was bad to the point that he was so congested and uncomfortable that he stopped eating for 24 hours and ended up in the ER for supportive therapy (we didn't know what it was). His most recent flare up started a couple days ago, but we have leftover famiclovir, so we just started him on that which has been working extremely well.

Just curious as to how other people manage it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Do all automatic litter boxes suck?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Do all automatic litter boxes suck?

No, they generally wait for the cat to poop or pee on its own.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

For $13 and like $15 for two refills, the Litter Genie has been well worth the money so far. Totally contains the nasty from 3 cats, one of whose poo poo smells like a 40-year-old alcoholic man's. Empty it once or twice a week and we're golden!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Ever since I've adopted Sardine (who is by all accounts a normal mackeral tabby without any weird genetics going on) and it makes me realize just how *incredibly* enormous and weird Jackie's paws are. I mean, like a normal cat she has these normal little (and adorable) paws with four main digits and a little dewclaw on her front paw, like (I think) a normal cat, although hers seem a bit small for a cat as big/strong as Sardine (she is a 10-pound female without much extra weight and a lot of muscle).

But anyway, it just makes me realize how especially absurd Jackie's paws are - before Sardine didn't trust me enough to let me touch/look at her paws closely, but like... Sardine's main paw is about the size of Jackie's "three-digit thumb", no joke! I never realized that Jackie doesn't just have big paws because she's polydactyl, she just has BIG PAWS. I mean they are like SHOVELS compared to Sardine's paws.

The other very odd difference between them (and this has been bothering me actually) are how completely different their tails are. Sardine has (I think) a normal cat-tail - it's pretty much exactly the same circumference at its base as it is at its tip, though there is of course a tiny bit of tapering at the very end. Most cats I've known have tails like these, I think, I never paid TOO much attention before.

On the other hand, Jackie has an entirely different TYPE of tail. Hers is very thick in terms of circumference at the base where it attaches to her butt, and quickly tapers down to a more normal size (but still looks bigger as she is more of a medium hair). It's also quite strong because of how thick it is at the base, and thus she can thump it VERY loudly. It's her main method of telling others to gently caress off, actually, combined with a glare.

At this point I just chock up these genetic variations to Jackie being a Maine-bred cat who probably has a chunk of Maine coon genetics that give her the polydactyl paws, the thick undercoat, all the extra fuzz in her ear, the powerful tail, etc. Is this an incorrect assumption to make? I describee Jackie as a medium-hair classic tabby, because she mostly is, but there are definitely a lot of genetic traits specific to Maine Coons, and she comes from a random litter in upstate Maine. Whereas Sardine is an NYC street-cat and thus wouldn't have those traits (and doesn't).

edit: vvv those cats are goddamn adorable

kaworu fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 21, 2017

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
OK, one of our cats is peeing on the bedcovers, dunno which one, never caught them in the act.

Muriel & Hermine
- Age 10 months
- Sex female
- How long have you had your cat? 7 months
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes
- What food do you use? MACs wet food, occasionally dry food as a treat
- When was your last vet visit? November-ish when they were neutered
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors
- How many pets in your household? Just the two cats
- How many litter boxes do you have? Three

It started in December when we left them alone for the day for the first time, and then again once or twice, then in January once more and then again today. We come into the bedroom and one of the sheets is peed upon. After the first couple incidents we took to folding the covers in half and covering them with a duvet cover and a towel. That worked pretty well, they never peed on that. We forgot that today and behold, pee.

They don't pee anywhere else (except the litter boxes obviously) and when we put the towels there they LOVE to nap the afternoon away there. Are they trying to teach us to make the bed for them or is this something serious?

We thought the pissing was on account of being alone or stress (two incidents happened around putting up the Christmas tree and New Years) or because they didn't like the litter we had once (though they used that litter) but now we're at our wit's ends.

Cat tax (i hope the pic isn't huge, posting from the Awful app)

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Pee problems are often UTI related. Take them to the vet and get them checked.

Re: Litter box stuff
We have a couple of litter robots and they are great. It took a while for the cats to get used to them and our pee-problem cat won't always use them so YMMV.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah we will do that. Better safe than sorry. Called the doc today and she said we should take a fresh sample in next chance we get, though she was stumped that the peeing happens so rarely.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Joburg posted:

Pee problems are often UTI related. Take them to the vet and get them checked.

Re: Litter box stuff
We have a couple of litter robots and they are great. It took a while for the cats to get used to them and our pee-problem cat won't always use them so YMMV.

What robots specifically?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

So the mother-in-law went for a sleep study last night and the wife and I spent a little bit in her room so her older cat, Callie, could get some love and not feel so lonely.

Callie looks, for lack of a better term, like poo poo. She's gained so much weight and can't clean herself properly anymore. Her whole hindquarters are a matted, greasy mess. What's worse, my wife (a former vet receptionist who was training to tech and took classes and did hands-on at her vet office) is fairly certain there's some odd, non-weight-gain related distension and tenderness in Callie's...pooch? That area right between her hind legs on her tummy.

Callie is finicky as gently caress about her litterbox and scratchy when she doesn't get her way, but I hope nothing's wrong with her. She keeps my MIL going most days. :(

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
crossposting this from the orange cat thread because, well, because kitties.

Got a new kitten a couple days ago. His name is Bobby. He fell asleep licking his own rear end in a top hat earlier.

Here he is next to our 2 year old Norwegian Forest Cat, Cheeto.

This picture doesn't even really do justice to how insanely huge Cheeto is compared to Bobby. Cheeto is pretty close to 20 pounds; Bobby is less than two pounds.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
For the record, you can't trust a cat that doesn't lick their own rear end in a top hat until they fall asleep. What kind of cat is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Knifegrab posted:

What robots specifically?

We have this model
https://www.litter-robot.com/the-litter-robot-ii-bubble.html

And we have an LR2 without the bubble, but the kitties don't use it as much. One is a refurbished unit and it has been just as good as the brand new one.