Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A VR game by Jeff Minter (of Space Giraffe and forums drama fame) inspired by a gaming urban legend. Try Wikipedia (phoneposting).

haveblue fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

E3 is more about teasing games 3-4 years away now. Like Mass Effect: Andromeda was teased in 2014.

Unless the No Man's Sky debacle finally scared developers into revving down the hype machines.

also wtf is Polybius. I can't even find anything on youtube.

Yeah, but they always mix in a few that get released shortly after announcement. For example Dark Souls 3 and Fallout 4 both were announced at E3 last year and were on shelves by fall.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dark souls 3 was released in march. e3 was in june

you're right about fallout tho

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

veni veni veni posted:

I should have said that there aren't a lot of AAA big games scheduled for the rest of the year. Not that 2017 had nothing coming out.

But yeah, E3 will probably have 3 or 4 "surprise it's out on Nov" big titles.

I'm not counting on red dead not gettin delayed either.

Looks like someone forgot about a complicated and sexually charged series of love-hate relationships with various orcs that will be happening in late August

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

I should have said that there aren't a lot of AAA big games scheduled for the rest of the year. Not that 2017 had nothing coming out.

But yeah, E3 will probably have 3 or 4 "surprise it's out on Nov" big titles.

I'm not counting on red dead not gettin delayed either.

There's generally one or two out sooner, just to get something out the door in the June-October stretch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

dark souls 3 was released in march. e3 was in june

you're right about fallout tho

Oh, poo poo. Yeah. That was the only Souls game that wasn't October iirc so it threw me off.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I saw the list of Co-op games and I've been eyeing the PlayStation Now stuff. Are there any great local co-op games on there?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Oh, poo poo. Yeah. That was the only Souls game that wasn't October iirc so it threw me off.

Bloodborne is the best souls game and it was March.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol I thought that was October too, my brain is failing. I know Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 were October at least (I think...I'm too lazy to look this up)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I looked it up because that's not how I remember it going, and demon's souls and dark souls 1 were in october but every other game was released in march internationally (ds2, 3, and bloodborne) except for sotfs, which was in april

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Horizon ZD got "Invert X- Axis" patched in, so Samurai Paul can play it now.

Mother gently caress. I don't need another game to buy. I tweeted at them like ten times so I'm glad Guerrilla was nice enough to accommodate me, the only person who ever inverts the horizontal tilt in games ever. Now Square has to put it in rise of the tomb raider and I'll never go outside.

But honestly I still got Gravity Rush 2, Neir: Automata, Yakuza 0 and BotW to play through before I buy yet another game.

I didn't mention Nioh because I already beat it but I'll be going through new game plus w a friend.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

SamuraiPaul posted:

me, the only person who ever inverts the horizontal tilt in games ever.

If a game has separate axis-settings for third- and first-person views, I like to invert everything in third-person and leave it standard in first-person :shobon:

If a camera rotates around a character who is some distance away from the camera, then it feels natural to me that nudging the stick to the right should make the vanishing point of the scene move to the left. Doesn't work in first person though.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 22, 2017

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
I can deal with "normal" controls fine in first person but it's just inverting y that drives me up the wall in either perspective. Fortunately there's been such a glut of good games that meet my needs I never have a lack of anything to play. I prefer third person over first so much I still haven't played DooM or Wolfenstein.

The last games I played with normal controls was Titanfall2 before that Dying Light before that GTAV online(normally in first person). The last third person game I played with no invert was shadows of mordor, which helped me die enough to make the nemesis system interesting, I guess.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Horizon ZD got "Invert X- Axis" patched in, so Samurai Paul can play it now.

I can't imagine playing with invert x (or y outside of flying). Simply can't imagine, anyone who can has to be a demon from another hell like dimension where mayonnaise is the standard condiment for fries.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Third person games you can make an argument for invert x, when you push left on the stick are you expecting the camera to move left or do you want to look to the left? There are games that fall to either side as a default, less of a problem nowadays where its more consistent but there were lots of PS2/PS3 games where I would flip invert X back and forth trying to remember which way I liked it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

homeless snail posted:

Third person games you can make an argument for invert x, when you push left on the stick are you expecting the camera to move left or do you want to look to the left?

Exactly, except for me that goes for vertical as well as horizontal. The games that really bewilder me are the ones where the thing that's labeled "Standard" in the options is that one of the axes are inverted, and the other one isn't.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I can't imagine playing with invert x (or y outside of flying). Simply can't imagine, anyone who can has to be a demon from another hell like dimension where mayonnaise is the standard condiment for fries.

mayonnaise goes great with a number of things. Pineapple is also a great pizza topping.

I had no loving clue I had the weird aiming proclivities I do until somewhere in the PS3 era. I would often mess around with inversion options until I had what I liked in ps2 games but I didn't have a name for my affliction. When. game I want to play comes out I'll oft be find someone streaming said game and ask them to show me the menu. It's how I avoided buying both mad max and rise of the tomb raider.

SamuraiPaul fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 22, 2017

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Isn't Destiny 2 coming out this year? Something stupid like a contractual obligation to get it out before the end of 2017?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

unlawfulsoup posted:

I like to give him poo poo about it but logically only inverting Y makes the least sense and that's the only way I can play games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zipperelli. posted:

Isn't Destiny 2 coming out this year? Something stupid like a contractual obligation to get it out before the end of 2017?

Almost certainly hitting in fall, no real details yet. It's already been pushed back from last fall too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We can expect Assassin's Creed: The One We Delayed To be Good, probably Destiny 2, whatever the new Cawaduty is, probably Star Wars Battlefront 2 and maybe one of the other Star Wars games to coincide with The Last Jedi, I think Shadow of Mordor 2, probably some other stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Destiny 2 could be a dog turd squished into a CD case and it would still deserve an award for most improved sequel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Destiny 2 could be a dog turd squished into a CD case and it would still deserve an award for most improved sequel.

At least they probably won't have to wait eight hours at a time whenever they update the game world in any way shape or form.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I look forward to playing it on the PC.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
there's no reason not to give the player the choice of inverting either axis if they have camera controls. I tried to play Beyond Good and Evil last year and I was super into the premise but I had to stop about ten minutes in because you can't change one of the axes (I forget which one) and it made the game unplayable for me

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I look forward to playing it on the PC.

I would get so much joy out of the white hot nerd rage that would come from Bungie announcing no PC version. Tears would quench my thirst.
Who am I kidding? Of course there's gonna be a PC version.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Imagined posted:

Picked up War of the Monsters, Resogun, God of War 3 Remastered and Everything today. I'm excited to let my son mess around in Everything, and I already love listening to Alan Watts lectures so... neat.

I want a PS4 Fat Princess but not interested in Fat Princess Adventures. Meh.

Everything looks so much like my jam, it's ridiculous. I can't wait to dig in.

But I must. Yakuza first. I am on full willpower mode this year. I will finish games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ImpAtom posted:

We can expect Assassin's Creed: The One We Delayed To be Good, probably Destiny 2, whatever the new Cawaduty is, probably Star Wars Battlefront 2 and maybe one of the other Star Wars games to coincide with The Last Jedi, I think Shadow of Mordor 2, probably some other stuff.

Horizon DLC might come out before the end of the year too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Basically the back end of the year could be just as bad as the front. In terms of number of games, not speaking about quality.

If we count new Zelda for front half, then there's a new Mario for back half. And as said before, expect a few announcements at e3 and destiny will be a really big release. Say what you will about destiny but it apparently has a few million unique people sign on over a monthly basis. It's a surprisingly active game.

Who knows what comes out at e3 as well. I'm sure we'll see a few smaller projects announce there and release by end of year. And there's still games that get announced at e3 and release for first half of next year like dark souls 3. So even if the back half isn't as strong as the front half, we're likely soon to have another good front half in 2018.

This summer is a great chance to catch up on games released during the front half that you didn't have money/time to get into. I wouldn't expect anything major to come out in may/june/July and August. So it's more like we've had a strong third of the year, we'll have a break for the second third, and there's still quite a few big releases for the last third.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon DLC might come out before the end of the year too.

Speaking of Horizon; Please say there's some upcoming closure on Ted Faros, because good loving lord did he just take the award for Biggest rear end in a top hat in History. Even if it was on a technicality because he loving erased Apollo and murdered the Alpha's :stare:.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

You all idiots forgetting about Everybodys Golf

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
'Everything' is pretty neat. There isn't really a 'game' to it other than trying to 100% every category of things and maybe collect all the Zen lectures, but it's got tons of charm and just lots of tiny details to discover. It reminds me of a Katamari Damacy in its art style and scale of "from galaxies to amoebas". Kind of wish the bigger critters didn't move by stiffly flipping end over end? That's kind of weird. Especially when the bugs and microscopic critters move more like how you'd expect. Anyway it's a chill game to play while you're really super high, or five years old. It's definitely interesting to see something so self-consciously arty and experimental on the front page of the PSN store next to the latest AAA blockbusters.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 22, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speaking of Horizon; Please say there's some upcoming closure on Ted Faros, because good loving lord did he just take the award for Biggest rear end in a top hat in History. Even if it was on a technicality because he loving erased Apollo and murdered the Alpha's :stare:.

There's a lot of speculation that Faro cryogenically froze or cloned himself in his Thebes bunker, and that either he or his descendants were the cause of the signal that awakened Hades. Who knows but it is likely that Aloy will at some future point get the opportunity to literally and/or figuratively kick him in the nuts.

There is also a spoiler thread for Horizon, btw.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Ineffiable posted:

This summer is a great chance to catch up on games released during the front half that you didn't have money/time to get into. I wouldn't expect anything major to come out in may/june/July and August. So it's more like we've had a strong third of the year, we'll have a break for the second third, and there's still quite a few big releases for the last third.

At least for me, I can't imagine Fall/Winter being as packed as January - May. In any given year there's only about 6 or 7 new releases I want to play. For January to May 2017 alone, there's been 12~15 new games I want to play

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My thoughts on the last half of 2017:

"BRING ME VIDEOGAMES! VIDEOGAMES OF SPIDER-MAN!"

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Gravity Rush 2 is half off. But this year I've bough Hitman, Mirror's Edge 2, Bloodborne and the new Nier, without finishing any of them. I've just too many games! I just pre-ordered Full Throttle too!

I'll probably buy it but won't get that hideous Phantasy Star outfit.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 22, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same

I bought it anyway :homebrew:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm really urged to preorder Full Throttle because that game owns but literally every Double Fine PS4 game has come to PS+ so I think I'll just wait

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Renoistic posted:

Gravity Rush 2 is half off. But this year I've bough Hitman, Mirror's Edge 2, Bloodborne and the new Nier, without finishing any of them. I've just too many games! I just pre-ordered Full Throttle too!

I'll probably buy it but won't get that hideous Phantasy Star outfit.

Gravity Rush 2 was on my radar but I think it's taking to be a casualty of the great game flood of 2017. Even a sale can't get me to bite when I have 10 other games prioritized ahead of it plus whatever is coming out in the second half of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm really urged to preorder Full Throttle because that game owns but literally every Double Fine PS4 game has come to PS+ so I think I'll just wait

This and Grim Fandango are my favorite adventure games. I was looking forward to the remaster...but the Grim Fandango remaster wasn't all that impressive and the Full Throttle remaster seems to ... it's like they rounded every pixel and really emphasized the border and so it looks more like Dexter's Laboratory. The Out of This World / Another World was another remaster that was...fine, but ruined the aesthetic by adding a bunch of detailed backgrounds to what worked best as a beautiful, minimalist game.

Anyway, I came to this thread because I have a question: my girlfriend and I share a PS4. If she buys DLC for a game we own, but we use two different profiles, will I be able to use the DLC, too? Or will I have to just play on her profile like a sucker?