Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

shortspecialbus posted:

Managed to snag a switch during a 2 minute window of availability on Best Buy online yesterday and just got the shipping confirmation. I was gonna hit up a local Target or Gamestop today to get Zelda.

Is the Switch Pro controller worthwhile if I can find one? Any other worthwhile accessories (again, assuming I can find any?)

Edit: aside from a microsd card, I ordered a 128GB one from Amazon that should last plenty long.

Get the pro controller. The joycon grip really isn't that bad and is more than usable if you want to hold off on a Pro controller or can't find one. However, if my pro controller broke I would still immediately replace it, I prefer it that much.

Get a second power supply of some sort for travel or to charge by your desk/bed so you don't have to go behind your entertainment center to unplug the one from the dock (if your setup is like mine). I use the official charger to guarantee play and charge without frying the system, others may have suggestions on 3rd party or power banks.

I also recommend these mini controller grips if you plan to play multiplayer games like Snipperclips, Fast RMX or Mario Kart when it comes out. The provided straps help with the shoulder button on each joycon, but these mini controller grips makes the whole thing more comfortable and are easy to put the joycon in and remove (the provided straps are a pain). I liked them so much that I bought a second set of joycons to keep in them permanently.

Lastly, I like screen protectors on my devices and with the dock scratching allegations out there, I bought this glass one. It applies easy with no bubbles and doesn't affect clarity or brightness. Some of the non-glass ones are apparently garbage. The official PDP one doesn't fit (is too big), and the premium Hori one gets bad reviews. So I would suggest this glass one since it isn't that much more expensive, plus you get 2 so you can go in on it with someone and split the costs. Otherwise, get the cheaper Hori one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

What should I get next fam, Voez or Binding of Isaac. I have like every other game already except Setusna since I have no interest in it

Isaac. It's an amazing game with literally over 1000 hours of gameplay.

It has a really hosed up theme though so make sure that doesn't bother you first.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you're on the fence about Voez it's worthwhile to download the mobile app and play some of the free songs.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes, especially if you're interesting in using it as a PC controller too.

Ok. It looks like these (pro controller) are actually harder to find than the switch itself. Anyone have any idea where to get one?

This is probably a stupid question, honestly, but I'm asking anyways.

Edit: Gamestop is selling them online, ships 3/31. That's probably the best I'm going to find, I guess.

ssb fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 22, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Ok. It looks like these (pro controller) are actually harder to find than the switch itself. Anyone have any idea where to get one?

This is probably a stupid question, honestly, but I'm asking anyways.

Edit: Gamestop is selling them online, ships 3/31. That's probably the best I'm going to find, I guess.

Just have to keep looking. Maybe check nowinstock.net or brickseek. I have only seen two in the wild, both at one Target the week after its release. Other Targets and Best Buys I have been too have been sold out.

The rumor mill said that Gamestop may be getting more stock of Switch's on Wednesday... who knows, they may be getting pro controllers and neon joycons as well.

edit: ya, I would just order there, though they always get you with shipping (which is why I always try Amazon or Best Buy or Target first). Honestly, the joycons in the grip are usable for a few weeks, no problem.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 22, 2017

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Try Amazon Prime Now? Seattle, at least, has had them in and out of stock constantly

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

Just have to keep looking. Maybe check nowinstock.net or brickseek. I have only seen two in the wild, both at one Target the week after its release. Other Targets and Best Buys I have been too have been sold out.

The rumor mill said that Gamestop may be getting more stock of Switch's on Wednesday... who knows, they may be getting pro controllers and neon joycons as well.

edit: ya, I would just order there, though they always get you with shipping (which is why I always try Amazon or Best Buy or Target first). Honestly, the joycons in the grip are usable for a few weeks, no problem.

I said 'gently caress it' and ordered at Gamestop. The gamestop I went to today to check and grab Zelda said they expect consoles over the next day or two, but they do NOT expect the pro controllers and have no idea when they may arrive. He didn't sound like he expected them to show up unexpectedly (let's pretend that makes sense.) Target didn't have any either, the entire shelf area was cleaned out of every worthwhile accessory.

gariig posted:

Try Amazon Prime Now? Seattle, at least, has had them in and out of stock constantly

I live out in the boonies, Prime Now isn't an option. All the sellers on Amazon Prime look like scams at the moment, or are at the very least overcharging.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

I said 'gently caress it' and ordered at Gamestop. The gamestop I went to today to check and grab Zelda said they expect consoles over the next day or two, but they do NOT expect the pro controllers and have no idea when they may arrive. He didn't sound like he expected them to show up unexpectedly (let's pretend that makes sense.) Target didn't have any either, the entire shelf area was cleaned out of every worthwhile accessory.

I live out in the boonies, Prime Now isn't an option. All the sellers on Amazon Prime look like scams at the moment, or are at the very least overcharging.

Ya, besides those two pro controllers I saw once, the only other worthwhile accessories I have seen are gray joycons (once) and the car charger. Mostly empty shelves otherwise short of joycon straps (not a worthwhile accessory IMO, especially since they come with all the joycons you buy).

Haha, ya I moved 30 minutes further out in the suburbs and lost access to Prime Now. What a crock.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
Walked into the Manhattan Beach Target @ 8:30AM this morning and walked out with a Switch. Store got in 4, and I was the first person in line to snag one.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

shortspecialbus posted:

Folks over at NowInStock have reported success with putting in a Starbucks or something as the delivery address for PrimeNow and just have some coffee and a scone while waiting for the delivery.

Of course, if by "in the boonies" you mean "way the gently caress away from any PrimeNow cities," that probably isn't useful to you. Also not useful if you don't have a few hours to waste waiting for a delivery.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

The Switch battery wastes a bunch of space with a thick layer of foam, and notching the battery and compartment so it only fits one way and labeling it with arrows that have to line up isn't really hard to do. They could design a battery that pulls out from the bottom of the device and makes it easily swappable.

The foam is there to protect it in the case it catches fire, like a Samsung Note 7 or one of those generic chinese hoverboards. If you check out the new revised hoverboards, their batteries have thick layers of foam around it.

Having the battery sealed is better for aesthetics, and protecting the internal components from the elements. Sure it makes more sense business wise, but nearly every top tier smartphone and tablet also doesn't have a removable battery. At least the Switch has the micro SD card slot, and the USB power source.

The manufacturers warranty is a year. Rechargeable batteries don't need replacing until 2 years, and opening the device and removing the batteries is easy. And 2 years from now, there are going to be a bunch of 3rd party batteries on Amazon with 4.5 star reviews.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

Folks over at NowInStock have reported success with putting in a Starbucks or something as the delivery address for PrimeNow and just have some coffee and a scone while waiting for the delivery.

Of course, if by "in the boonies" you mean "way the gently caress away from any PrimeNow cities," that probably isn't useful to you. Also not useful if you don't have a few hours to waste waiting for a delivery.

I don't think they do PrimeNow in Madison, WI, which would be the closest place, but it's still probably impractical since I generally don't.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ya, besides those two pro controllers I saw once, the only other worthwhile accessories I have seen are gray joycons (once) and the car charger. Mostly empty shelves otherwise short of joycon straps (not a worthwhile accessory IMO, especially since they come with all the joycons you buy).

Haha, ya I moved 30 minutes further out in the suburbs and lost access to Prime Now. What a crock.

Any time we go anywhere in the car, I'm the one driving and my wife is almost always sleeping since she pretty much passes out the second she sits down in a car she's not driving - it's strange. Car charger would probably not get a lot of use. Maybe down the road if it turns out my wife wants to play it in the car, but she barely can stay awake enough to play her 3ds in the car, so seems unlikely haha.

Actually, thinking about this, it uses normal USB-C to charge, yeah? We've got chargers including a car charger for that, so I would think they would work unless there's something that would make them not work? They're decent chargers that have worked fine for our nexus phones for some time now.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Voez is awesome and if you like rhythm games you owe it to yourself to snag it. It comes with a crazy amount of content for the price.

The same can be said about Isaac, minus the rhythm bit.

You should probably just buy both.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I'm on a jury and will be for the foreseeable future. A lot of time is spent in the jury room because the lawyers and judge are doing stuff we're not allowed to see a lot of the time. The Switch has made it bearable.

Thank you, Switch. Thwitch.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/844370050416967680

There you go. Call Nintendo.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

shortspecialbus posted:

Actually, thinking about this, it uses normal USB-C to charge, yeah? We've got chargers including a car charger for that, so I would think they would work unless there's something that would make them not work? They're decent chargers that have worked fine for our nexus phones for some time now.

I've been using a standard macbook wall wart and cord for bedside charging and nothing's caught on fire yet so you're probably fine. Someone can yell if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the situation (from having looked into it finding a power bank for said macbook) is that pretty much anything C to C is fine (though it might be slow if it's a comparatively underpowered charger) but there's something with USB A to C cords where you have to do a lot of research to make sure the cord you're buying isn't improperly made in a way that might gently caress your poo poo up.

So if you have an explicit USB C charger you're probably fine, but if you have one of those $5 walgreens USB A car chargers and a $2 A to C cable from whatever the cheapest amazon search was you might want to do some double checking.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Amazon Prime Now Seattle has pro controllers in stock (and BotW Special Edition)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Second set of screen protectors came in. Took it slow this time and the result is significantly better. Not perfect, but it may smooth out with time.

Also I noticed my bezel has some scuffs from the dock. Nothing noticeable, as I had to actual put my Switch in direct light to notice them. But they're there, and I imagine it's because the way my Switch sits under my desk I was pulling it out at a slight angle given how low the scuffs are. I imagine with enough elbow grease I could buff them out but eh don't really care.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm at work and do not have my Switch. I don't want to work, I just want to [play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild] all day.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Any new poo poo out this week?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Nearly 3 weeks, ~90 hours, 100+ Korok Seeds, ~75 shrines, and all 4 dungeons completed and I'm still discovering new areas I've never visited before. This game is unreal.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

beergod posted:

Any new poo poo out this week?
No, but Snake Pass and Has-Been Heroes are out next week.

Tumbleseed and Pocket Rumble are also due this month, but they're likely to be pushed back.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's probably a bunch of NeoGeo games.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Re: Charger Chat

I've been using both a MacBook Pro charger at home away from the dock and this Anker charger to take on the go. Overkill for just the Switch but it can also charge said MBP as well as 4 other regular devices. Nothing has caught fire yet.

USB Type-C, Anker Premium 5-Port 60W USB Wall Charger PowerPort+ 5 USB-C with Power Delivery for Apple MacBook, Nexus 5X / 6P and PowerIQ for iPhone, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8C6ULO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_2Z9ZRFpkGDVLs

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Hey which store has the NeoGeo golf game that is super rad?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Beastie posted:

Hey which store has the NeoGeo golf game that is super rad?

None of them yet. Portable NEO TURF MASTERS will happen, and I will buy it immediately.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Milkman posted:

Re: Charger Chat

I've been using both a MacBook Pro charger at home away from the dock and this Anker charger to take on the go. Overkill for just the Switch but it can also charge said MBP as well as 4 other regular devices. Nothing has caught fire yet.

USB Type-C, Anker Premium 5-Port 60W USB Wall Charger PowerPort+ 5 USB-C with Power Delivery for Apple MacBook, Nexus 5X / 6P and PowerIQ for iPhone, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8C6ULO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_2Z9ZRFpkGDVLs

Did that guy come with an A to C cord? I've got the Anker power bank and apparently the converter cords that came with it are of the "do not use" type, or at least were some months ago.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bought this one.
Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C, Ultra-High Capacity Premium Portable Charger, 20100mAh External Battery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014ZO46LK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_WPF0ybTMEY3MX
Has been excellent so far. Not a single problem.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Just look up the Benson list or whatever it's called of good USB-C cables. Whenever you get a cable with a power bank, it's laughably short.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Just got an SMS from EB Games, Has-Been Heroes has been bumped to 4/4/17

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

iajanus posted:

Just got an SMS from EB Games, Has-Been Heroes has been bumped to 4/4/17

Boooooo

Zero chance I'm playing it now with persona 5 the same day

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Any time we go anywhere in the car, I'm the one driving and my wife is almost always sleeping since she pretty much passes out the second she sits down in a car she's not driving - it's strange. Car charger would probably not get a lot of use. Maybe down the road if it turns out my wife wants to play it in the car, but she barely can stay awake enough to play her 3ds in the car, so seems unlikely haha.

Ya, I have skipped on the car charger because I don't really plan on taking it outside the house on trips except for the drive to my parents' house which is 3.5 - 4 hours away, so enough not to need the car charger. Otherwise, I will use road trip time to work on my DS/3DS and Vita backlogs. Plus ya, I probably drive 60-75% of the time on road trips.

Is the car charger even rated for play and charge? I'd hope so with their ads showing kids playing MK8 in the back seat with the Switch attached to the head rest of the passenger seat. I know cars put out 12V, but I guess they can step that up to 15v... I think those things are around 10amps, so plenty of room to step up to 15v and still supply the 3.6amps or whatever the wall charger outputs.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 22, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I finally got some slowdown in Binding of Isaac. Against Mom's Heart in Curse of Darkness with Laser 2.0 or whatever it's called (glow effect.) When she goes into bullet hell mode, it chugs... but it also helps, like real bullet hell games! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. With some of the dumbshit items I had (random teleport on hit, getting hit spawns troll bombs, and my own bombs leave behind mini bombs) I would've probably lost that run. If it wasn't for Guppy's Tail, I definitely would've (died along with the heart but came back to life!)

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 22, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Human Resource Machine is breaking my brain. I'm at year 20. I have done everything save one optimization challenge (I need to get my commands from 15 down to 10 somehow...don't remember which year this was. 18 maybe.) Anyway, can someone give me a hint on how to do 20? I can only find solutions online and I don't want a full solution. Just have no idea how to do multiplication using only math and nothing to decipher what the numbers are. Sigh.

Was really enjoying the game up to this point, too.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

s.i.r.e. posted:

Isn't there some issue with Fast RMX and it's frame rate that was supposed to be fixed with the Switch firmware?

Not sure what would need to be sorted, but I think I remember reading something about how it's fixed at a higher rate than the Wii U version if that's what you mean?

I can't remember seeing any frame rate drop as such though. It does do dynamic resolution scaling, so things might start to look ugly if it chugs. I've only ever noticed that during the fly by at the start of a race though, never once things have started moving.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

https://fat.gfycat.com/RewardingFlawedJapanesebeetle.webm

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puFw64IUyrU

Slapamander is the dumbest name for anything and I'm gonna smack the poo poo out of everyone with it

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Superbunnyhop releases a video discussing the shortcomings of Zelda: BotW. (Might contain spoilers.)

Viewers are angry. Angry about his rhyming.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rexroom posted:

Superbunnyhop releases a video discussing the shortcomings of Zelda: BotW. (Might contain spoilers.)

Viewers are angry. Angry about his rhyming.

Not familiar with this youtuber remarkably but he sounds like he played a totally different game than I did. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I'm kinda convinced that people who seemingly really hate botw are trolls or that they seriously have something wrong with them? Like the cnet switch reviewer who said the kickstand was terrible, except this time its botw.

• Locked thread