Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I don't understand why they keep inserting boring humans into their space games. ME2 introduced this big cast of interesting and diverse characters and in ME3 they removed most of them and replaced em with fan favourite beefwall James Vega.

why was he there
I remember the devs saying they needed an audience surrogate that was as generic as possible and disconnected from all the happenings in the world so that people whose first game was 3 (yeah, that's weird but w/e) would have someone to relate to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Having a generic average dude to help balance out the other cast members is useful especially as a 'safe bet' but uh you only need one.

Yeah I definitely 'get' why they do it. I guess I'm still bewildered by James vega more than anything even after all these years.

^^^
ah, that makes sense actually. I'd not heard that. eh still didn't like the dude.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I don't understand why they keep inserting boring humans into their space games. ME2 introduced this big cast of interesting and diverse characters and in ME3 they removed most of them and replaced em with fan favourite beefwall James Vega.

why was he there

Vega ended up being a pretty good character though. As did the Virmire Survivor (if you ended up killing them in the Citadel attack).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also remember that big cast of interesting and diverse characters could all be literally dead at the beginning of 3

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like humans in games. Aliens are usually just "humans but with horns" or "humans but with pointy ears and forked tongues and some kind of accent" or "humans but with green skin", etc, might as well just stick to what you know

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would have preordered MEA if it had a core Hanar/Elcor/Volus trio as the protagonists

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

ME3 is a way more interesting game if at least several of your crew members are dead, but unfortunately most people will never experience that since it's so easy to ace the suicide mission.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

ME3 is a way more interesting game if at least several of your crew members are dead, but unfortunately most people will never experience that since it's so easy to ace the suicide mission.

the legion replacement is just legion again which is lame

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also James Vega made more sense in ME3 than Jessica Chobot, that was a weird inclusion

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also James Vega made more sense in ME3 than Jessica Chobot, that was a weird inclusion

Her inclusion was truly awful and I always turn her down on the Citadel immediately. Awful VO and model, just terrible.

Also kill at least Thane, Miranda, and one of Wrex/Mordin for more interesting scenarios in ME3. Leave Tali alive and wipe out the Quarians on Rannoch for the most amazing death scene in all video games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Liam actually owns, Cora is kind of just "Miranda but less smug and awful", I just met Peebee. Still really, really enjoying it - first fight with a Fiend actually was tense and kinda hard. But it's a really schizophrenic game. The combat is extremely pew pew now to the point where you can't even tell your party members what to do (though they actually just do fine on their own, they seem almost unkillable) but everything else is way more RPG intensive. I think one reason people loved ME2 so much, including myself, is that it's so "easy to play" - you pick a mission you go there you run through some corridors you shoot some dudes and you maybe say some cool poo poo whatever and then at the end you get XP and level up and you can pick another mission or do a little bit of farting around, whereas

MEA definitely expects you to want to fart around, like a whole lot, a whole loving lot, it wants you to constantly stop and scan every piece of metal you see to make some numbers go up so you can make things. It isn't really that obnoxious and I don't know how strictly necessary it is at all; it could turn out I'm amassing way more of those points than I'll need.

One thing is, I don't know why, I like the way you travel between planets, it's kind of relaxing

I'm starting to think that Eos might be The Hinterlands again and I should just advance the main story a while more before doing every sidequest I see on it

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I like my coworkers approach to Andromeda. The gun customization lets him use the ME1 style overheat meter(1is his fave) and he has a low->middling pc so he says the game would look bad regardless. I miss being that optimistic about games.

But i guess 4 years of dota will do that.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I get the impression that ME:A is a lot like Dragon Age: Inquisition which I found incredibly boring, unfocused, and tedious.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I get the impression that ME:A is a lot like Dragon Age: Inquisition which I found incredibly boring, unfocused, and tedious.

Yes and no. Inquisition has clunky combat but good characters while ME:A has great combat but bland characters.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i missed anime talk but i wanna hype Barakamon its about an rear end in a top hat city boy being made to live in farm country with a bunch of quirky people and a bunch of kids that wont leave him alone

it's really adorable and one of my faves

i'm gonna play broken age act 2 and finally see what all the disappointment is about

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo are they making a sequel? Please be a sequel

https://twitter.com/Atlus_jp/status/844000027487879169

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo are they making a sequel? Please be a sequel

https://twitter.com/Atlus_jp/status/844000027487879169
they're making a remake of the first one for 3DS which is nice because the original was not a super high print run and at least i'd be able to get this one digitally

i assume it'll come to america too because atlus is good on that

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I bought those missions for Hitman... and I'm still spending all of my time in Paris. Why am I like this :negative:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
A friend of mine is saying how ME:A is "gorgeous" and I can't tell if they're joking or not. I mean it certainly looks like they're being serious but I can't imagine making that statement unless you're trying to make a joke.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

they're making a remake of the first one for 3DS which is nice because the original was not a super high print run and at least i'd be able to get this one digitally

i assume it'll come to america too because atlus is good on that

That is also okay because Radiant Historia is really good and I wouldn't mind playing it again. Also hearing Yoko Shimomura's kickass soundtrack for it in I'm assuming better audio quality will also own.

Macaluso posted:

A friend of mine is saying how ME:A is "gorgeous" and I can't tell if they're joking or not. I mean it certainly looks like they're being serious but I can't imagine making that statement unless you're trying to make a joke.

I haven't watched a ton of videos of it now that it's out but I've heard the outdoor environments look pretty good. Maybe that's what they're talking about? Because nothing else makes sense.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Macaluso posted:

The environments are quite pretty.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Kaiden and Ashley were the most boring "leave these people at home" characters in ME while Vega was at least a hunky beefcake. There were other human characters were cool or at least interesting like Jack and Miranda. I liked Jack as an unstable psychic space pirate and Miranda as the "smug to the point of infinite hubris" Cerberus handler. Liam and Cora feel like Kaiden and Ashley 2.0. Liam has a neat accent. That's the most interesting thing about him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gonna go out on a limb here: visually and musically, Wind Waker is the best thing Nintendo has ever done. That game's aesthetics are straight-up perfect and god drat that soundtrack. Like I don't even care if the Great Sea is really empty and most of the islands are boring and the dungeons are straightforward and not that interesting. I'll hang out in Wind Waker any day just because it looks and sounds so drat good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I mean certainly some of those shots are actually quite nice, like the asteroid field. But I feel like beyond that, the screenshots just end up looking... like graphically impressive, but I wouldn't describe them as gorgeous. Whereas something like Witcher 3 there were very few times I didn't come to a new location and have my jaw dropping at the scenery.

I mean maybe it's different actually in motion playing it yourself but the pictures and videos I've seen of the ME:A just aren't anything other than competent. And all the horrible animations and boring character designs don't help it much.

Harrow posted:

Gonna go out on a limb here: visually and musically, Wind Waker is the best thing Nintendo has ever done. That game's aesthetics are straight-up perfect and god drat that soundtrack. Like I don't even care if the Great Sea is really empty and most of the islands are boring and the dungeons are straightforward and not that interesting. I'll hang out in Wind Waker any day just because it looks and sounds so drat good.

Like every other 3D Zelda game, I couldn't get into it from a gameplay perspective. But man is that game pretty. THAT is a game that you can call gorgeous.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

bloodychill posted:

It's an enjoyable enough game with flaws and not much new stuff brought to the table but the emotional reaction one way or another in the dedicated thread sure is something the game doesn't merit. What's more, after people got all disillusioned with the series after 3, I'm kind of surprised it's happening.

Never let goons obsess over anything (see Doobie's, the original ME thread at the time of 3, Star Citizen, Hellthread)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

also total war warhammer is very good

This game was $30 on Steam in the last week. I wish I had bought it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It was $12 as the Humble Monthly headliner last month!

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Harrow posted:

I would always get really happy when the sun would slowly rise over the blue horizon and the music would swell and start anew. I've felt BotW has had some comparable moments so far.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SamuraiPaul posted:

I would always get really happy when the sun would slowly rise over the blue horizon and the music would swell and start anew. I've felt BotW has had some comparable moments so far.

I think I'd give Breath of the Wild a solid second aesthetically to Wind Waker. It's absolutely fantastic, don't get me wrong--it has really strong character designs, this wonderful sort of watercolor look to the environments, great weather effects, and it uses music very effectively. Wind Waker's just so wonderfully inviting, though, and I love the cartoony and stylized enemy and boss designs, too.

The whole reason I haven't played Twilight Princess HD yet is because I don't think its visual style has aged well at all and I'm not sure I want to look at it for the full duration of a Zelda game. I'm shallow like that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

That is also okay because Radiant Historia is really good and I wouldn't mind playing it again. Also hearing Yoko Shimomura's kickass soundtrack for it in I'm assuming better audio quality will also own.

Yeah I'm totally gonna buy it again because it would give me an excuse to replay it which I've wanted to do but keep not because I have other new games to play instead.

This totally makes sense shh

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

I think I'd give Breath of the Wild a solid second aesthetically to Wind Waker. It's absolutely fantastic, don't get me wrong--it has really strong character designs, this wonderful sort of watercolor look to the environments, great weather effects, and it uses music very effectively. Wind Waker's just so wonderfully inviting, though, and I love the cartoony and stylized enemy and boss designs, too.

The whole reason I haven't played Twilight Princess HD yet is because I don't think its visual style has aged well at all and I'm not sure I want to look at it for the full duration of a Zelda game. I'm shallow like that.

Part of what for me makes Windwaker so good in regards to its art style is Link himself. In all the other games(havent played botw but judging on videos) he's a really blank character action wise even though he's visually unique. In Windwaker he has more personality in his eyes alone than most game protagonists. This moves him away from the weird individual/player insert limbo he's normally in and the game is much better for it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That also ties into the story of the game, where Wind Waker Link is more of an underdog than usual, and he has to earn the triforce of courage and prove himself, rather than just having him be the chosen one from the start.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

What I'm gathering here is that Paper Sorcerer is a great game everybody should play and finish.

well i mean maybe if you can finish it? i gave up after the fifth time i got into a random encounter and instead of loading the battle script it stayed in the exploration mode controls and i could pan around the encounter sceen and nothing else

and i dunno if i could praise the music, its boss track doesn't even loop smoothly and it sounds like a teenager's garage band except he pissed off his drummer and bassist so this weekend he's just doing some chord progressions by himself

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Harrow posted:

actually its twilight princess

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'd like to say that while the mega man battle network cartoon sucks rear end, the movie for it is actually pretty good??? Like, it's not great but it's pretty short, actually has some really cool moments with framing that gets really freaky for battle network, and has some really solid action scenes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

bloodychill posted:

After putting in a good 15 hours, I'm feeling the same way. It's an enjoyable enough game with flaws and not much new stuff brought to the table but the emotional reaction one way or another in the dedicated thread sure is something the game doesn't merit. What's more, after people got all disillusioned with the series after 3, I'm kind of surprised it's happening.

Imagine waiting 5 years for the Witcher 4 or some other title goons really like, only to learn the story was written by Chris Metzen and none of the original talent behind the game was putting it together. It'd be the same Witcher setting with Witcher characters and locations, and probably competent enough to play, but would feel like a hollow imitation of the things you liked about the series. You'd probably rather it not be made. That's what Andromeda is for me. It's not a strong emotional reaction other than deep disappointment, and one I knew would happen as soon as I started reading about all the staff departures from Bioware over the course of its development.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Harrow posted:

You should, it's a criminally underrated Zelda. Sure, it's grittier and not as colorful as WW or SS, but that's more to my liking. It's certainly the last good traditional 3D Zelda. Unless you're a Skyward Sword fan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Twilight Princess caught the endless brown disease that was going around a lot at the time and is just really boring to look at.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Twilight Princess was the first Zelda I played where I got too bored of the game to finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Learning moves from Skeleton Not-Link was rad. The ruppee armor was pretty cool too.

• Locked thread