Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

uber_stoat posted:

yeah. I've heard all kinds of different reasons provided for why Trump got their vote and many of them bear no relation to anything Trump ever even said he was going to do. Trump's the avatar of these people's dreams and fantasies. how do people so stupid exist?

yeah, but otoh, his campaign was consistent on exactly three issues:

a) naked bigotry
b) russophilia
c) robust safety nets, including universal healthcare

he delivered on the first 2 in spades. it was obvious to ppl even vaguely familiar with GOP politics that he couldn't do the third even if he wanted to. but it wasn't completely crazy for low-info voters to believe him on that.

hell, if ryan manages to get his abomination to trump's desk in the midst of massive popular outrage, i wouldn't rule out trump pulling a veto at the last minute. he would get to pay back ryan for his tepid support during the election while grandstanding as the savior of the forgotten man. im sure bannon is whispering the idea into his ear right now

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

we are all losers in trump's america, unless you were already a winner beforehand

:cheers:

oh lindsey, everyone can see you're living a lie. isn't it time you formally announce that you're "playing for the other team"? lord knows they'd welcome you without judgement..
(obviously, i'm talking about the blue dog democrats)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

hell, if ryan manages to get his abomination to trump's desk in the midst of massive popular outrage, i wouldn't rule out trump pulling a veto at the last minute. he would get to pay back ryan for his tepid support during the election while grandstanding as the savior of the forgotten man. im sure bannon is whispering the idea into his ear right now

on the one hand, Trump keeps saying how much he supports this bill and wants it to pass, which is in line with other demonstrations of his obsessive behavior

on the other hand, he's also a pathological liar who fucks with people to get what he wants

on the third hand, maybe the senate will just catch fire when the bill reaches them

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

a) naked bigotry

Lol TheSaurus lost is drat mind because a Trump Presidency didn't mean people would put up with his horseshit

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

a) naked bigotry
b) russophilia
c) robust safety nets, including universal healthcare

he delivered on the first 2 in spades. it was obvious to ppl even vaguely familiar with GOP politics that he couldn't do the third even if he wanted to. but it wasn't completely crazy for low-info voters to believe him on that.

oh lindsey, everyone can see you're living a lie. isn't it time you formally announce that you're "playing for the other team"? lord knows they'd welcome you without judgement..
(obviously, i'm talking about the blue dog democrats)

exactly

and my constituency is where?
south carolina
it's not happening; my sister likes nice things, and i like power; try again when i retire

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
check out this 9th dimensional chess, a friendly reminder btw, never vote for me as i am still an enemy to you, the left, but check this out:

Lindsey Graham: We Should Just Let Obamacare Collapse If We Can't Get A Solid Fix Through Reconciliation
Matt Vespa | March 17, 2017
facebook

twitter

Lindsey Graham: We Should Just Let Obamacare Collapse If We Can't Get A Solid Fix Through Reconciliation
Well, the House GOP has taken a political consequences be damned position. The House will be voting on the American Health Care Act, the GOP replacement to Obamacare, next Thursday—though both Speaker Paul Ryan and President Trump admitted that changes would need to be made to ensure passage. The president has said he’s 100 percent behind this legislation, but you should read Guy’s deep dive into this development.

The Obamacare replacement offered by congressional Republicans has received a brutal reception. Democrats are uniformly against it, while the GOP is split. The lackluster CBO score prompted moderate GOP lawmakers to flee—and Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) warned that this bill doesn’t have the votes to pass the Senate. There are some Republican senators who refuse to support a bill if it touches the current funding formula for Medicaid expansion. And the things that conservatives want Republicans to do regarding health care reform, allowing insurance companies to compete across state lines, tort reform, cannot be included in the reconciliation process.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) spoke with radio host Hugh Hewitt on Wednesday about his issues with the bill, namely that the three-phase approach, in which the GOP will make into law the areas they can’t touch with reconciliation, wouldn’t work. He noted that for provisions, like health insurance companies being able to compete across state lines, would need to get 60 votes to pass the Senate. Democrats aren’t going to help the GOP on health care, so the two succeeding phases are bound to fail. Graham said that we should just let the law collapse if the GOP couldn't get a solid bill using reconciliation, which drew disagreement from Hewitt. For conservatives, the fact that the GOP is haggling over Medicaid is frustrating since the expansion provision in Obamacare is one of the most expensive in the law. Graham also admitted that he could be miscalculating the political consequences for this wait and die strategy.

Hugh Hewitt: Now today, the AP is reporting, and I’ll read the quote. House Republicans are working on a companion to their bill replacing Obamacare. It’s a legislative second act that would ease cross-state sale of health insurance and limit jury awards for pain and suffering in malpractice lawsuits, closed quote. That’s actually fiction. That’s propaganda, because that takes 60 votes, and you’re not going to get it. I am curious if you agree with me that the House Republicans do not understand reconciliation, and that they can use tax policy to dis-incentivize bad behavior, and that it will pass muster with the parliamentarian?
Lindsey Graham: Yeah, I think this is the key point. I think this is what Senator Cotton’s trying to say. Reconciliation is a limited venue to make changes. It has boundaries, right? so if you have a three-step approach, reconciliation being the first step, and buying across state lines doesn’t fit into reconciliation, then any package coming from the House after reconciliation must get 60 votes. There’s no way the Democratic Party is going to vote for a concept that opens up health care to more competition and outside government control. That’s what this whole drat thing’s about to begin with, is that they believe that health care should be provided by the government. We believe you should have more choices. And I don’t see eight of them helping us get our, you know, get this thing done. That’s just not going to happen.

[…]

Hewitt: The vast majority of Republicans believe that people transitioning from Medicaid need help. I have a four square box – poor, not poor, young, not young, and I think the tax credits ought to go to the poor not young in overwhelming proportion and followed by the poor young, but mostly to the poor people to help them transition from Medicaid so we don’t create a poverty trap.

Graham: Right, right.

Hewitt: Rand Paul’s not going to buy that. I understand it. That’s fine. He’s down. Susan Collins isn’t going to buy any of this. She’s down. So we’ve got to get everybody else, right?

Graham: Good luck.

Hewitt: Good luck. We’ve got to get everybody else. Is that doable, Senator Graham, because this is the once in a lifetime…

Graham: In its current form, no. And okay, it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity for every Republican to own a bad bill. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity for every Republican to replace Obamacare with something better. Here’s what I would suggest. If you don’t believe it’s better than Obamacare over the long haul, if you think you’re going to own it for the rest of your life, President Trump, it will be called Trumpcare, don’t buy it, because everybody says you have to. Here’s what I would prefer he do. If he can’t get us in a good spot where we all feel comfortable, we’ve improved Obamacare dramatically, which we told people we would, let it collapse. There were five health care providers in South Carolina exchange. We’re down to one.

Hewitt: No, no, no. No, no no.

Graham: Let it collapse.

Hewitt: We’re going to get killed.

Graham: No, we won’t.

Hewitt : We’ll get killed if we don’t repeal the medical device tax, the individual mandate. We’re going to get slaughtered.

Graham: Well, you will, and here’s how you will do it. Here’s what you’re going to get killed. If you pass a bill that is using the same process the Democrats did, you ignore every warning sign and you go through anyway, and you take CBO numbers and you just excuse everything the CBO said, if at the end of the day the 62 year old person in Greenville, South Carolina doesn’t get help from this bill, if their premiums don’t go down, that if Medicaid continues to explode and expand, then what good have you done? Here’s what I would suggest to the President. Keep working hard. I want to work with you. I want to get to yes. But if it doesn’t work, if we can’t get there by ourselves, let it collapse. It is collapsing. Obamacare is a nightmare for the country. Democrats are not going to lift a finger to help President Trump. I would do collapse and replace if you can’t get a good, solid fix to Obamacare using reconciliation.

Hewitt: I think you’re misjudging the political consequences of that strategy dramatically.

Graham: Could be. Could be.

- Townhall

:getin:

letting it collapse means leaving it the hell alone :smug:

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 05:45 on Mar 19, 2017

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Azathoth posted:

Normally, the problem with these voters is that they don't have realistic expectations of what government can and cannot do for them, so they tend to get disillusioned really easily. I don't ever recall seeing a political party get power then quite so brazenly put out a legislative agenda that objectively fucks over quite such a wide swath of their supporters, so we're basically sailing into uncharted political waters with this.
I kinda feel like Trump voters will be very tolerant of him loving them over because a number of them really hate themselves and feel like they deserve to be crushed under the boot of the business men who are superior to them. This is what happens when they idolize the working class and self sufficiency when they, themselves, are on disability and need government programs to survive. They'll be very vocal in their hatred of others with lives like this, but they'll keep their self hated inside and accept when the people they voted into office destroy their lives because they feel they deserve it.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

exactly

and my constituency is where?
south carolina
it's not happening; my sister likes nice things, and i like power; try again when i retire

but i was led to believe that you never refuse a dixie cretin seaman :mad:

s'all good, if u and mccain ever get serious about purging the ruskies from your party im sure we can lend a hand :tipshat:

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

but i was led to believe that you never refuse a dixie cretin seaman :mad:

s'all good, if u and mccain ever get serious about purging the ruskies from your party im sure we can lend a hand :tipshat:

you know i always love my dixie seamen sugar! meet me in my chambers, and i might just show you what i mean...:wink:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
lol, more dipshits

It works for 56-year-old Linda Preast, who signed up for the program two years ago after a stroke left her in a wheelchair. Meals on Wheels delivers to her every weekday. Like most residents in Jones County, she voted for Donald Trump.

“Are you surprised?” Miller asked.

“Yeah,” Preast said. “Because he was told- I was under the influence that he was going to help us.”

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

lol, more dipshits

It works for 56-year-old Linda Preast, who signed up for the program two years ago after a stroke left her in a wheelchair. Meals on Wheels delivers to her every weekday. Like most residents in Jones County, she voted for Donald Trump.

“Yeah,” Preast said. “Because he was told- I was under the influence that he was going to help us.”

lol

spoilers: if she survives she's still voting trump in 2020

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol, more dipshits

Now that's just depressing :smith:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

lol, more dipshits

"under the influence" might be the best turn of phrase any Trump supporter has used to describe their vote

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
A lot of people are gonna die, because Hillary Clinton lost the election so badly.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

In a way, a self correcting problem

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Typo posted:

Well yeah because the commiecrats are going to raise her taxes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ScrubLeague posted:

Well yeah because the commiecrats are going to raise her taxes.

Fiends!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:q:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Small Ohio town counts on Trump to stave off plant closures

Two Ohio coal plants to close

Jesus Christ himself couldn't rise coal from the dead.

quote:

A retired veteran who later became a construction worker at one of the plants doesn't have many nice things to say about Trump.

"Don't talk to me about that man!" Marvin Floyd huffs, rolling his eyes and setting up a shot at the pool table. "He is going to be no good for this town, and none of these people get it."

You tried to warn them Marven :smith:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

OhFunny posted:

Marvin is a CSPAM hero (and soon to be martyr)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

OhFunny posted:

For some reason, construction workers seem woke when it comes to economics.

I think it's because they're the cutting edge of the economy. They're the first plebian level group that experiences investment decisions & when you sit for 6 months straight because of some political hacks' policy that makes investors shook it's not a whole lot of dots to connect.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Typo posted:

lol

if the democrats can't even persuade this person to vote for them then they deserve to lose

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/844502402258685952

ya mans quit his job and sold his house because he thought trump cared about poor people

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

^^^ goddammit

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/21/health/opioid-trump-supporter-medicaid-health-care-reform/index.html

quote:

Last year, Kraig Moss sold the equipment for his construction business in upstate New York and stopped making mortgage payments so he could follow Donald Trump on the campaign trail.
The amateur country crooner sang pro-Trump ditties while strumming a guitar emblazoned with Trump campaign stickers, earning him the moniker "Trump Troubadour."

But now, Moss refuses to play the guitar with the Trump decorations. He's soured on the President because of the newly proposed Republican health care bill.

That legislation, which the president supports, could result in dramatic cuts in addiction treatment services.

Three years ago, Moss found his son, Rob, dead in his bed from a heroin overdose. He was 24.

"The bill is an absolute betrayal of what Trump represented on the campaign trail," he said. "I feel betrayed."

Moss looks back on his days on the campaign trail, on how he sold his trucks to finance the trip, how he sang his heart out and went from restaurant to restaurant to hand out "Donald Trump for President" CDs.

"I did a lot to promote his candidacy," he said. "Now, I wish I had never sold my equipment."

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
Another trumpkin on npr this morning: lost his farm to the midwest wildfires and upset that he hasn't heard trump mention them even once. agrees the us needs to spend less bc of debt but upset that the trump budget cuts disaster aid. would appreciate if the federal government would help him back on his feet, but NOT looking for a handout

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Another trumpkin on npr this morning: lost his farm to the midwest wildfires and upset that he hasn't heard trump mention them even once. agrees the us needs to spend less bc of debt but upset that the trump budget cuts disaster aid. would appreciate if the federal government would help him back on his feet, but NOT looking for a handout

The funny thing about when the government obliges their sense of honor and renames programs to things that don't sound like the handouts (think ACA becoming KYnect, HIP 2.0, etc) they are is that the GOP then gets them to vote against the proper name of the program.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

HorseRenoir posted:

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/844502402258685952

ya mans quit his job and sold his house because he thought trump cared about poor people

I hope he gets kicked to death by illegal immigrants.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

would appreciate if the federal government would help him back on his feet, but NOT looking for a handout

I feel like that's part of the problem right there - so many people have been conditioned to see any form of government assistance as some kind of terrible thing that has to be avoided at all costs or else you become one of them and that's a fate worse than death.

guess what my dude, you're absolutely asking for a government handout, and that's okay because you've already paid for it. unless he's somehow avoided paying taxes for his entire adult life, he's been making annual tithes to the government to pay for a lot of stuff, and one of the big things it's supposed to pay for is support and assistance during a natural disaster. this guy shouldn't feel any guilt at all about receiving support from the govt because of a situation that was completely outside his ability to influence or control.

that's got to be one of the best tools in the R tool chest, the fact that they have psychologically conditioned people to reflexively reject any govt utility outside of limitless defense spending.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
http://www.channel3000.com/news/politics/under-trump-wisconsin-dairies-struggle-to-keep-immigrant-workers/399774724

quote:

“Before the election, there was a lot of discussion. Everybody was concerned about immigration reform, but most of the farmers that I talked to (said) ‘I can't vote for Hillary (Clinton), I just can't.’ … Now that Trump's elected, they say that they have hope and that he didn't really mean what he said. And so we'll see.”

Amy, a dairy farmer in Clark County, says 80 percent of her workers are immigrants; she voted for Trump despite his stance on immigration. She feared Clinton would have implemented heavy regulations and high taxes that could put her farm out of business. Amy asked that her last name not be used because she feared her business could be targeted by immigration officials.

“I have to hope … that they're going to look at all sides and come to a compromise because I believe that Donald Trump is a businessman and he's not dumb,” she says. “He knows how much immigrant labor there is in our country and what it (mass deportation) would do to our country.”

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's more of a christian puritan thing, better to give than receive. But how can everyone be a giver if nobody's a receiver?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

"I believe that Donald Trump is a businessman and he's not dumb," she says.

lol

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

'Member when the bundys demanded their welfare checks while they were protesting without a hint of irony

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol it took me like, 10 seconds to find her and her farm despite not revealing the last name

protip: if you give anybody 3 accurate pieces of information about yourself, assume you can be found

If I wasn't more worried about the welfare of fellow proletarians over spiting her I'd report her to ICE lol

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

If I wasn't more worried about the welfare of fellow proletarians over spiting her I'd report her to ICE lol

If the idea has occurred to you, ten /pol/ dudes have already done it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

wizard on a water slide posted:

If the idea has occurred to you, ten /pol/ dudes have already done it

yeah that's my theory as well but I'm not going to be a party to it

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

"its not welfare when white people get it"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Liberals, 2016: "If we deport every illegal it would be an economic catastrophe that would ruin you, personally, and millions others. The only realistic option is to make them legal"
Trumpers, 2016: "NO THEY'VE GOTTA GO ILLEGALS STEALIN ARE JOBS STEALIN ARE TAXDOLLARS"

Trumpers, 2017: "oh god I'm going to be ruined and the shitass Governor and his party have already destroyed my safety nets nooooo plz feel sorry for me libs!!!"

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Every time I try to feel sad for these people I remember that they wanted these things to happen to everyone except themselves and I just go "haha nevermind"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Speaking of farmers and their exports. Mexico, the largest importer of American corn, is looking for other markets to buy from.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-22/mexican-companies-craft-plan-to-sidestep-u-s-grain-imports

quote:

One of Mexico’s largest business groups is working on a bargaining chip ahead of talks to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement: finding alternatives to the U.S. for grain imports.

The Consejo Coordinador Empresarial, one of the nation’s top business chambers, is examining countries such as Brazil and Argentina to add new sources for soy, corn and wheat, according to Juan Pablo Castanon, the group’s president. Exports from those countries could help Mexico adjust to the difficulties that a Nafta renegotiation might present, he said.

“The renegotiation might bring increased costs to imports, and our own exports might be hurt, so we need to find new markets,” he said in a phone interview, adding that the group’s efforts are still in the initial stages. The chamber, established in 1976, represents the country’s main agricultural, industrial and financial industry organizations, among others.

A move by Mexican businesses to import raw materials from other countries could hit U.S. farmers hard. Mexico is the largest buyer of U.S.-produced corn, spending $2.5 billion in the 2015-2016 season, ahead of Japan’s $1.8 billion, according to the U.S. Grains Council. Mexico has spent $800 million on U.S. corn so far in the current season. The country is the second-biggest client for U.S. beef, having bought $1 billion in the 2015-2016 season, trailing only Japan.

quote:

Switching suppliers isn’t as easy as flipping a switch. Mexico depends heavily on rail for imports from the U.S. and Canada, which wouldn’t work for goods from South America. But Mexico’s ports could handle imports from the south, and the benefits would outweigh the costs, Castanon said.

“We need to open new doors,” he said. “As the trade talks progress, we’ll see how we need to make use of them.”

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Liberals, 2016: "If we deport every illegal it would be an economic catastrophe that would ruin you, personally, and millions others. The only realistic option is to make them legal"
Trumpers, 2016: "NO THEY'VE GOTTA GO ILLEGALS STEALIN ARE JOBS STEALIN ARE TAXDOLLARS"

Trumpers, 2017: "oh god I'm going to be ruined and the shitass Governor and his party have already destroyed my safety nets nooooo plz feel sorry for me libs!!!"

This is basically holodomor but replace liberals with Stalin, trumpers with kulaks, and illegals with modern farming equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

This is basically holodomor but replace liberals with Stalin, trumpers with kulaks, and illegals with modern farming equipment.

are you blaming the Ukrainians for the holodomor?