Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

dazat posted:

I don't think I was exaggerating. Like I said, the differences aren't totally derailing or anything (certainly not petition worthy, lol). Just, applied to the dialogue all throughout the game, it subtly but noticeably changes the tone of some characters compared to the original Japanese. 9S in particular comes off as jerkier imo.

Speaking of Sartre Jean-Paul, I wonder how Beauvoir would feel about her name being attached to a narcissistic robot so obsessed with abstract beauty standards she'll turn into a cannibal in order to attract a disinterested boor of a man. "Becomes a woman" indeed.

The story ends with her realizing that the struggle to become beautiful was all meaningless, but it's all she has left so she clings to it. She wasn't narcissistic, merely obsessed with that ideal, as many of the robots in the game are. I personally think it's a great cautionary tale about not letting yourself be defined by such things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

"if you like my games you're probably mentally ill" - Yoko Taro, having just another day on the PR trail

Sounds accurate.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Cowman posted:

Is there a dedicated PC thread or is it alright to ask about technical questions here? I get weird stutters during cutscenes and was wondering if there was a way to fix that. Same with the random frame drops and fps issues.

It's basically a big crap shoot with drives and GPU, unfortunately. You can try dropping AA if you have that on, though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cowman posted:

Is there a dedicated PC thread or is it alright to ask about technical questions here? I get weird stutters during cutscenes and was wondering if there was a way to fix that. Same with the random frame drops and fps issues.

Use this: http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/
Turn off Anti-Aliasing for performance gain.

Nothing else can be done about those problems.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Cowman posted:

I don't think there's any concrete fix for any of that. Game is a poorly optimized mess and the cutscenes are apparently poorly encoded or something, not playing as well as they are supposed to.

I guess you could try FAR if you haven't, see if helps with the tiny FPS drops http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Jack Trades posted:

Use this: http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/
Turn off Anti-Aliasing for performance gain.

Nothing else can be done about those problems.

I tried that but it worsened the fps and made things even more stuttery and I don't know what the options do so I have no idea what to change in it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tarezax posted:

The story ends with her realizing that the struggle to become beautiful was all meaningless, but it's all she has left so she clings to it. She wasn't narcissistic, merely obsessed with that ideal, as many of the robots in the game are. I personally think it's a great cautionary tale about not letting yourself be defined by such things.

She strongly mirrors the other characters in this game, and serves, in a way, as the ultimate expression of the central conflict: inhuman beings imitating humanity's appearance without understand the substance beneath those appearances. Even confident know-it-all Adam thinks that all he has to do is make cities, wear underwear, and eat fruit to understand humanity; he's like Mr. Hand from Dark City. "You were looking in the wrong place."

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Tarezax posted:

Oh yeah, I really enjoyed her story and the moral about how all the beauty in the world can't buy you acceptance/peace of mind. The whole thread on how machines might interpret gender identity was interesting too, I hoped it would get a little more focus than it did.

No Mods No Masters posted:

"if you like my games you're probably mentally ill" - Yoko Taro, having just another day on the PR trail

I mean... he's not wrong...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well, I got all the endings. Overall enjoyed it, but I don't think the story really got that interesting until C onwards. 9S's english VA really knocked it out of the park though, the dude can really emote well.

If there's one thing that really bugged me about the game though, it was the combat. I got extremely tired of it 70% thru A, and B was a slog with the constant minigame BS. The bosses all sucked And reusing the stupid rear end orb like 5 times was terrible None of the fights were particularly interesting or memorable in a mechanics sense. Which, whatever. It's a Yoko Taro game, I don't expect good combat, but I thought maybe with Platnium working on it that it'd be a bit better. But it was a snoozefest of hitting square and triangle in the same boring pattern against enemies with varying amounts of damage sponginess to them. The original had bad combat too but I don't remember it being as much of a slog in the combat sections.

Most painless Platinum trophy ever at least. :grin:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well, I got all the endings. Overall enjoyed it, but I don't think the story really got that interesting until C onwards. 9S's english VA really knocked it out of the park though, the dude can really emote well.

If there's one thing that really bugged me about the game though, it was the combat. I got extremely tired of it 70% thru A, and B was a slog with the constant minigame BS. The bosses all sucked And reusing the stupid rear end orb like 5 times was terrible None of the fights were particularly interesting or memorable in a mechanics sense. Which, whatever. It's a Yoko Taro game, I don't expect good combat, but I thought maybe with Platnium working on it that it'd be a bit better. But it was a snoozefest of hitting square and triangle in the same boring pattern against enemies with varying amounts of damage sponginess to them. The original had bad combat too but I don't remember it being as much of a slog in the combat sections.

Most painless Platinum trophy ever at least. :grin:

Did you play on Normal? Because since this game's Easy mode can literally play itself, Normal is the new easy mode and the gap between normal and hard is a huge jump

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I found Iron Will and how on earth do I get machine arms and legs and stuff?

Also I found Emil selling weapons again, this time by Engels so I'm sure it's 100% random now.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Did you play on Normal? Because since this game's Easy mode can literally play itself, Normal is the new easy mode and the gap between normal and hard is a huge jump

I avoided hard because I was told it just made things have more hp and do more damage and that was it. Which would just exacerbate the problems I had.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Inventor sidequest spoiler: I gave you 100,000 bucks to fly to the moon and you still have the audacity to charge me for a mask? How about you run Gratitude.exe, you little poo poo?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I avoided hard because I was told it just made things have more hp and do more damage and that was it. Which would just exacerbate the problems I had.

That's true, but it also tightens the timings on perfect dodges and counters so you cant just spam R2 to win. Bosses require you to use more control abilities like air juggling or stagger chaining in order to get out reasonable amounts of damage, which also means properly managing what weapons/finishers you're using become more important. In short, enemies are only still meatshields if you're, like you said, mindlessly mashing square and dodging, wheras utilizing all the game's mechanics will get you through things much more efficiently

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I draw a fanart

Get it? Gettit?

e; did I forget what 2B looks like? Was I too lazy to look it up? Yes.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My favorite characters in the game were 9S and Diet 9S

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I finished endings D and E today. If you told me to predict what would happen between Route C and Ending E, I never would have guessed any of that. But I really did enjoy it, it is hard to say if it surpasses the original Nier for me at this point but what I do know is that both games are very good. Now I get to go back and read dozens of spoiler pages and maybe make more sense out of what happened, which should be fun.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

C Route: even the robot children aren't safe from Yoko Taro. Also Pascal had a really bad day.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hooray, i got the Wire pod program.

:smith:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

McDragon posted:

C Route: even the robot children aren't safe from Yoko Taro. Also Pascal had a really bad day.

Deleting his memories tugged on my chest the hardest out of anything in the game. It's incredible how much genuine emotion Taro-san can pull out of the simplest of scenes.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
of all the things I expected on finishing the racing subquest The robot just loving exploding after I beat him is not what I expected

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

warhammer651 posted:

of all the things I expected on finishing the racing subquest The robot just loving exploding after I beat him is not what I expected

The robot exploding was sad. The finish line robot exploding a few seconds later was hilarious.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nuebot posted:

That's what I was thinking, but i don't think so because emil's quest conclusion shows that The shopping center area is built right over kaine's house, meaning the forest is where the aerie used to be.

I had so many questions when I found that. Like, did the house get moved there to keep it safe, or was there a period after Nier where people were rebuilding civilization because the Shades were gone?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Supremezero posted:

The robot exploding was sad. The finish line robot exploding a few seconds later was hilarious.

I mean no argument here, but still.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Christ, those hologram girls are creeping me the gently caress out.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay, enough people have been asking about a combat basics video that I got temped to make one, and did. It's strictly alright and I'm not amazing at the game or anything, but it covers the basics of determining what equipping a weapon in your light/heavy slot will determine, the different forms of combos, air juggling (something I feel like basically no one knows about), perfect dodging and the finishing moves, countering, and then a couple of very general combat tips. Also, I recorded this as a direct broadcast for the PS4 so there's a little bit of skipping in the beginning and then also at a very inconvenient time like halfway through, but oh well I tried. Here it is, please flame the poo poo out of me.

Yo this thing is long as gently caress! But I'll dl and have a look

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

idiotmeat posted:

Christ, those hologram girls are creeping me the gently caress out.

Ending B had me laughing real hard at the choking/loving scene.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay, enough people have been asking about a combat basics video that I got temped to make one, and did. It's strictly alright and I'm not amazing at the game or anything, but it covers the basics of determining what equipping a weapon in your light/heavy slot will determine, the different forms of combos, air juggling (something I feel like basically no one knows about), perfect dodging and the finishing moves, countering, and then a couple of very general combat tips. Also, I recorded this as a direct broadcast for the PS4 so there's a little bit of skipping in the beginning and then also at a very inconvenient time like halfway through, but oh well I tried. Here it is, please flame the poo poo out of me.

Thanks for this. I haven't finished watching it yet, but it's very informative and complete so far.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

Vermain posted:

Ending B had me laughing real hard at the choking/loving scene.

I keep flashing back to evangelion at that scene.

Having just finished playthrough B, I'm confused about something. Why did project gestalt fail? The archives said that humans died but there were still enough gestalts and replicants around to copy their genetic code. Also are the aliens really aliens? That seems rather convenient that humanity dies off and lol surprise humans are on the moom and lol aliens?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

idiotmeat posted:

It's absolutely copying EoE, but in a good way. 9S's mental breakdown also parallels Shinji's pretty closely, including the part where he's internally divided between loving the object of his affection (Asuka/2B) and wanting to kill her.

quote:

Having just finished playthrough B, I'm confused about something. Why did project gestalt fail? The archives said that humans died but there were still enough gestalts and replicants around to copy their genetic code. Also are the aliens really aliens? That seems rather convenient that humanity dies off and lol surprise humans are on the moom and lol aliens?

This is the storyline of the original NieR. The replicants began to develop sentience, which meant that they subconsciously rejected their Shades attempting to return to their bodies, causing the Shades to relapse and go insane. With the death of the Shadowlord due to Nier's actions, the one thing that was keeping the few remaining sane Shades from relapsing was gone, causing them all to relapse and ultimately ruining Project Gestalt.

The aliens are really aliens. In typical Yoko Taro fashion, they're actually from a gag ending of NieR, sort of like how NieR's events are caused by the gag ending of Drakengard.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

idiotmeat posted:

Have you played the first game?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I want to believe that mashing r2 is slower than sprinting, but both times Ive timed myself, mashing r2 has been a fraction of a second faster, which at the very least seems to indicate they are pretty close...

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Cowman posted:

I tried that but it worsened the fps and made things even more stuttery and I don't know what the options do so I have no idea what to change in it.

Are you on a NVIDIA card? Assuming so, I had some decent results turning a lot of the effects off in-game (mainly AA and AO), and forcing them through NVIDIA Inspector. You might have to go back to using the Borderless method though.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 22, 2017

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Snak posted:

I want to believe that mashing r2 is slower than sprinting, but both times Ive timed myself, mashing r2 has been a fraction of a second faster, which at the very least seems to indicate they are pretty close...

Do you have any movespeed up chips? Dash speed isn't impacted at all by movespeed chips, and chips are what is really going to push the speed difference of sprinting over the edge. If you're just going through a stage normally, dashing will be fine, but if you're traveling from one questpoint to another on the map, especially in the later portions of the game, you want to switch over to a chipset with +20% movespeed because you'll absolutely notice a difference. You should have even gotten a real good movespeed chip from winning the Speedster questline, and even just the 8% is noticable.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

theblackw0lf posted:

New interview with Yoko Taro

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/2..._medium=twitter

I found his reasons why he has multiple endings intriuging.

Heh, literally for padding. I like that he's at least upfront about it.

I don't think it was really necessary this time. The game is like 40 hours as is, merging Route A and B or abbreviating Route B to only be the divergent segments would have taken it down to maybe 30 hours? That's still plenty and would have been paced better.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

That's true, but it also tightens the timings on perfect dodges and counters so you cant just spam R2 to win. Bosses require you to use more control abilities like air juggling or stagger chaining in order to get out reasonable amounts of damage, which also means properly managing what weapons/finishers you're using become more important. In short, enemies are only still meatshields if you're, like you said, mindlessly mashing square and dodging, wheras utilizing all the game's mechanics will get you through things much more efficiently

Eh, having finished the game on Hard and the bosses on Very Hard, it really doesn't do much to change the repetitive and simple nature of the combat from an action gamer perspective (More weight is placed on chip configurations, so it does increase engagement from an RPG perspective). A2 and 9S are the only ones that really require juggling or knockbacks, although a lot of the tougher non-boss mobs do demand it. Most of the other bosses are a matter of evading until their scripted phases time out, as very few of those phases can actually be sped up by dealing damage. Adam and Eve are like that for most of their phases and most other bosses aren't even possible to juggle/knock down.

I really don't think the dodge timing is any tighter on Hard/Very Hard. If it is, it's the difference between generous and insanely generous. You can still R2 mash your way through most attacks.

Vermain posted:

It's absolutely copying EoE, but in a good way. 9S's mental breakdown also parallels Shinji's pretty closely, including the part where he's internally divided between loving the object of his affection (Asuka/2B) and wanting to kill her.

This is the storyline of the original NieR. The replicants began to develop sentience, which meant that they subconsciously rejected their Shades attempting to return to their bodies, causing the Shades to relapse and go insane. With the death of the Shadowlord due to Nier's actions, the one thing that was keeping the few remaining sane Shades from relapsing was gone, causing them all to relapse and ultimately ruining Project Gestalt.

The aliens are really aliens. In typical Yoko Taro fashion, they're actually from a gag ending of NieR, sort of like how NieR's events are caused by the gag ending of Drakengard.

Wait, which joke ending was this? I only know the first game from LPs and never saw it. Thought the aliens came from one of his short stories.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 22, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Do you have any movespeed up chips? Dash speed isn't impacted at all by movespeed chips, and chips are what is really going to push the speed difference of sprinting over the edge. If you're just going through a stage normally, dashing will be fine, but if you're traveling from one questpoint to another on the map, especially in the later portions of the game, you want to switch over to a chipset with +20% movespeed because you'll absolutely notice a difference. You should have even gotten a real good movespeed chip from winning the Speedster questline, and even just the 8% is noticable.

Oh, yeah I don't have any +movespeed on right now.

I had +20% (max) movespeed when I was attempting speedstar and I said gently caress that. I really do not care for the "platforming" in this game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

Wait, which joke ending was this? I only know the first game from LPs and never saw it. Thought the aliens came from one of his short stories.

You might be right, actually. I can't recall if it was in-game or in a novella, only that it was mentioned in some form in the original NieR.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Vermain posted:

You might be right, actually. I can't recall if it was in-game or in a novella, only that it was mentioned in some form in the original NieR.

Yeah it wasn't in the game at all. Just the novel.

A handful of LP's mention it and some catchup videos people have made so maybe you got it mixed in there.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Snak posted:

Oh, yeah I don't have any +movespeed on right now.

I had +20% (max) movespeed when I was attempting speedstar and I said gently caress that. I really do not care for the "platforming" in this game.

If you take the left path on speedstar 3 it's essentially a flat route, with just one jump + the initial fall.

But yeah sometimes jumps can be kind of wonky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Is there anything that expounds on them at all? Thus far I think Adam saying they were plant-like is the most exposition I've heard beyond "they invaded."