Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Dog Kisser posted:

Construction ribot - the animation for this one was extremely fussy, but I think it's alright in the end!

This is the best robot ever. But isn't it missing the second half of its left (our right) arm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

GodFish posted:

This is the best robot ever. But isn't it missing the second half of its left (our right) arm?

Annoyingly, that's how it's aligned in the default portrait. Short of muckin' around with Maya, that's the best I can do. Shame!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is it possible to mess with fleet formation somehow? I don't want my cruisers to lead the charge.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does forcing one ftl type on a map prevent premade empires with a wrong ftl type from spawning?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think it just makes them use the one set type.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dongattack posted:

Is it possible to mess with fleet formation somehow? I don't want my cruisers to lead the charge.

It is not.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Dongattack posted:

There's a few mods that do it with battle computers, but nothing in the base game. So if you can't/wont mod your save, build your ships accordingly.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dongattack posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=790455347

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Psycho Landlord posted:

There's a few mods that do it with battle computers, but nothing in the base game. So if you can't/wont mod your save, build your ships accordingly.

Ah okay, i assumed it could be done since i read something about having corvettes tank with high evasion, but they are always bumbling in the back of the fleet with me before trying to get to the front.

Thanks!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Baron Porkface posted:

Does forcing one ftl type on a map prevent premade empires with a wrong ftl type from spawning?

They'll spawn with the appropriate FTL engine for how the game is initially set. You can create a custom race that uses warp, then play them in a hyperdrive-only game and they'll have hyperdrive.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I started a new game to get back into this game. So... Dumb question. I have a bug that's showing up, i'm wondering which number to trust here:

If it's not immediately obvious, the fleet has a different power level over the fleet compared to what it reports on the side-bar. Never seen this before. If there is a difference/error in calculation in the future if anyone has an idea to the more accurate number, it'd be nice to know.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Might just be that different displays round values differently?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm sure that one point of power difference will change the course of battle. How can we possibly make intricate plans like "throw fleet at other fleet" with tiny rounding discrepancies.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I destroyed an Awakened Empire fleet of 150k strength with a fleet only two-thirds as strong, so I wouldn't worry too much about a single digit rounding error that will disappear from view once your fleet strength gets above 1k.

The long and short answer to all Stellaris combat questions: the numbers are mostly meaningless and the combat is bad and dumb.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Might just be that different displays round values differently?

That would be my assumption also.

The combat is much more involved than I expected for the game but I would probably describe it as "having a lot of room for expansion" rather than necessarily bad.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 22, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I'm sure that one point of power difference will change the course of battle. How can we possibly make intricate plans like "throw fleet at other fleet" with tiny rounding discrepancies.

if it's more than a rounding error, the concern is when it comes up later dude. i know it doesn't matter at that scale.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

basic hitler posted:

if it's more than a rounding error, the concern is when it comes up later dude. i know it doesn't matter at that scale.
It's a rounding error and you don't need to worry about it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

basic hitler posted:

It's probably a rounding error (Fleet value is 255.9 or something, one display is rounding "smart" and one us just rounding down or truncating or up or something). It won't scale, the discrepancy will never be more than a 1. This was not a dumb question (not sarcasm)

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So are the energy based torpedo types immune to point defense? Is it just the slow travel time that keeps them from being game breakers?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The Muffinlord posted:

So are the energy based torpedo types immune to point defense? Is it just the slow travel time that keeps them from being game breakers?

Yep, they are regular direct damage attacks. For that reason I suspect that their travel time is actually purely cosmetic, but I don't remember if the megapost on why missiles are totally bizarre went into that.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It just seems like if they're immune to PD that removes the primary complaint against torpedos and missiles.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there a mod that will let me zoom out to galaxy map without having to press E? Drives me nuts not being able to zoom in and out smoothly.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
I have a modding question. Is there a way to pull one portrait from an existing portrait grouping and make a new entry using just that portrait? When I get into hive minds I want all of my drones to be identical.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
In my last two games I had two empires using the same portraits as I was and one empire that was using the same race name. I feel like there should be checks for that.

Edit: I should clarify that there were three races in total involved here as the same name guys weren't the same guys as the same face guys.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

The Muffinlord posted:

It just seems like if they're immune to PD that removes the primary complaint against torpedos and missiles.

It's a decent 'reward' for going up both the Laser line and the Torpedo line.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The whole need to constantly zoom in and out was a big interface/design mistake. Everything should be able to be played from one main map by either making in-system movement not important (2 fleets in a system = fight, no need to micro). Imagine having to zoom in and out of every province in EU4 or Victoria to make sure your troops are on the correct border or else the enemy will just walk straight through. Or oops you aren't sieging the province because your troops are all on the north border of the province while to siege you need to manually move the units onto the city.

Make in-system movement fast enough that if you see an enemy fleet in a system on the galaxy map you can move your fleet there and a battle will happen, planets will be bombarded, invasions will happen all without the need to micro and babysit.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

The whole need to constantly zoom in and out was a big interface/design mistake. Everything should be able to be played from one main map by either making in-system movement not important (2 fleets in a system = fight, no need to micro). Imagine having to zoom in and out of every province in EU4 or Victoria to make sure your troops are on the correct border or else the enemy will just walk straight through. Or oops you aren't sieging the province because your troops are all on the north border of the province while to siege you need to manually move the units onto the city.

Make in-system movement fast enough that if you see an enemy fleet in a system on the galaxy map you can move your fleet there and a battle will happen, planets will be bombarded, invasions will happen all without the need to micro and babysit.

You can already set fleets to automatically engage enemies in a system.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Swedish Horror posted:

You can already set fleets to automatically engage enemies in a system.

You still need to micro them or they'll decide to hunt down every mine in the system before bombarding planets. Or they'll see a squirrel and decide to stop bombarding, or they'll go bombard a pre-warp planet in the same system instead of the enemy system.

The tactical system maps were a mistake. Treat systems like provinces and have them be the smallest level of movement detail. Sure have the system screen for system development and building things, but make star systems the only thing you need to worry about for war and fleet movement. If 2 fleets are in a system they are fighting. If a fleet is in a system with an enemy planet, it's being bombarded. No micro, no babysitting.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

What happens when there are multiple planets in system but I only want to bombard/invade one, or I want to hit a specific target in the system without engaging the doomstack on the other side of it, both of which are things I can already do with the current implementation?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

fuf posted:

Is there a mod that will let me zoom out to galaxy map without having to press E? Drives me nuts not being able to zoom in and out smoothly.
Please for the love of god let me point my mouse at a system and scroll into it. And scroll out.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is it possible to have ships temporarily switch to a different template without deleting/editing the old one?

Just for instance say you have laser corvettes with only armor modules and you want to quickly change to only missiles and shields. Is editing the current template the only way to do it?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

You still need to micro them or they'll decide to hunt down every mine in the system before bombarding planets.

That seems like a problem that could be more easily solved without radically remaking the game.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Get rid of the graphics, replace everything with spreadsheets IMO.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love to get rid of the planet grid, the system view or at least any tactical movement within it, and cut ship design and just have pre-set balanced ships that get better/unlock with tech. Merge planets, orbitals, and mines into a single system view that just listed the system's combined statistics and open slots. Orbital mines/labs would just be a slot system within the system view. Energy Mine 5/6, Mineral Mine 3/8 and so on in a list. Every planet and orbital would simply increase the pop capacity. So that nice big continental planet adds +23 capacity, but you also have pop slots open up by building orbital improvements and dome-colonies and poo poo on planets. Click on that barren planet, build a colony dome and now the system has +5 pop capacity. Have most all the important stats and basic building menu fit along the bottom or side of the screen when you click on a system, or double click for a more detailed view that shows all the pretty planet art if you're into "graphics" or what ever.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love to get rid of the planet grid, the system view or at least any tactical movement within it, and cut ship design and just have pre-set balanced ships that get better/unlock with tech. Merge planets, orbitals, and mines into a single system view that just listed the system's combined statistics and open slots. Orbital mines/labs would just be a slot system within the system view. Energy Mine 5/6, Mineral Mine 3/8 and so on in a list. Every planet and orbital would simply increase the pop capacity. So that nice big continental planet adds +23 capacity, but you also have pop slots open up by building orbital improvements and dome-colonies and poo poo on planets. Click on that barren planet, build a colony dome and now the system has +5 pop capacity. Have most all the important stats and basic building menu fit along the bottom or side of the screen when you click on a system, or double click for a more detailed view that shows all the pretty planet art if you're into "graphics" or what ever.

i dont want any of that my vote cancels out yours

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Let's go a step farther and get rid of any need for player interaction, like Distant Worlds.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Baronjutter posted:

Just play Stars! instead

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Go play space engine if you just want pretty space graphics :)

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Swedish Horror posted:

Get rid of the graphics, replace everything with spreadsheets IMO.

The EVE Online thread is elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Only if you give me the option to un-buy the game.

• Locked thread