Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Who has a Commodore 64 they don't want anymore? I have moneydollars.

Edit: why the gently caress do I keep getting new pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

Do it. Round1 is incredible and I spend at least one lunch hour a week there since they have a ton of music game machines (brand new ones like Beatmania Sinobuz and the new Sound Voltex, and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy) and it's near where I work.

Im so jealous.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kid Fenris posted:

It'll be nice if they release that anthology here. Seiken Densetsu 3 was the number one "Why Don't They Translate This?!" game from my childhood. The answer turned out to be "software bugs made localization too much trouble for a game that wouldn't be out in the U.S. until the Super NES market faded," but try telling that to the RPG-crazed kids who wrote 90,000 letters a month to Nintendo Power and GameFan.

Any chance of them just ripping off the Corlett/DeJap translation if SD3 does actually make it here?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 22, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mak0rz posted:

Any chance of them just ripping off the Corlett/DeJap translation if SD3 does actually make it here?

No, because even though it's work based on a reverse engineered ROM, the translation was new work and homebrew tools were made/used for the project. They're also no more less likely to pay for the work as it would be a nightmare to track down everyone who ever touched the project to have their OK for their work to be used.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Martytoof posted:

I'm almost 40 and I never owned a SNES until 2017 :q:

I got my first Dreamcast in 2012.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep, bought my first SNES in 2015, despite being in my mid 30's, I was just a Genesis kid, that's all :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was just a poor kid.

Now one could argue I have more money than sense.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Prism posted:

I personally don't think they really need more than one version of the same game in there, and if you're going for maximum nostalgia it's the Game Boy one. (It should not be Sword of Mana. Sword of Mana was not good.) If I wished for a game to be added to it, it would be Legend of Mana, but that's probably too much to ask.

Comedy option: Secret of Evermore. Japan's never gotten that one.

Agreed that the original GameBoy one should be there no matter what. But I think it should have had more for that price tag ~$43 US. For that much, I would assume 5-6 games, not 3 emulated ports of games that would be 1/2 that price compared to other virtual console games of those systems. But ya, definitely should have FF Adventure.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yep, bought my first SNES in 2015, despite being in my mid 30's, I was just a Genesis kid, that's all :colbert:

Yep, similar here. Didn't get my first SNES until the past few years. Was stuck with 2600, NES, C64 and PC games until the N64 and PS1 came out. That said, I have no developed nostalgia for the SNES since I only played SNES games at friends/relatives' houses growing up (mostly Street Fighter II and Mario Paint), but I appreciate the console, especially for RPGs. Same thing with Sega, played a bunch of games at friends houses, more than I did SNES, but I have 0 nostalgia. Though I'm not a huge fan and sold my Genesis and just play the handful of games I have gotten for it on a Retron5 and RetroGen on my SNES.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Just bought this off a coworker and finally filled this hole in my GC library :)

Code Jockey posted:

brand new ones like Beatmania Sinobuz and the new Sound Voltex

Well this thread is about money pits yeah

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Only Shallow posted:

Just bought this off a coworker and finally filled this hole in my GC library :)

Well this thread is about money pits yeah

Sweet, still want to get a copy myself. Kinda hoping for GC games on the Switch's virtual console in the future.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I was a NES C64 Amiga 80's kid, but in the summer of 1999 I became a NeoGeo AES man :smugdog:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

I was a NES C64 Amiga 80's kid, but in the summer of 1999 I became a NeoGeo AES man :smugdog:

Look at you, Mr. Money Bags... haha

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Look at you, Mr. Money Bags... haha

It was like $100 with Magician Lord used, people weren't losing themselves over collecting anything back then, NIB PAL NES games didn't cost as much as really good used cars or sometimes new cars

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

So I was listening to some gaming music on Youtube at work and this came up on the auto playlist and I'm wondering how I've never run into it, maybe it came up before!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnLAC5AJPuM

That :krad: guitar intro :rock:

The original for comparison just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTQIiIKummw

Incidentally, this was on before it which I have seen in the thread before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urc9Zif-t4Y

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^sup Loudness!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B92FJPZkfdc

I've been replaying Thunder Force 4 over the last week or so and two things struck me about that game: one, it's not nearly as easy as I remember it being on Mania (as opposed to TF3 which is a cakewalk no matter the setting) and two, there is a lot of music in that game - well over an hour's worth of tunes - so if you like crunchy FM guitar you'll get just as much fun out of the sound test as the game proper.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Caitlin posted:

Are you really that young? :sigh:

born in '90.

my dad didn't really play games, so our first console was a ps1, but i was like five. i don't think my dad understood you needed to buy the games for it, so we just played a demo disk with wipe out and ridge racer. the first console i actually desired was the n64. the 'screaming christmas child' could have easily been me.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

worthless. posted:

Who has a Commodore 64 they don't want anymore? I have moneydollars.

Edit: why the gently caress do I keep getting new pages

I have a C64c and one floppy drive that has been sitting around for a year. The keyboard probably needs cleaning because it takes a lot of force to respond and it's NTSC so none of the good demos will work.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Only Shallow posted:

Literally the game I bought the GameCube for back when it was still a current system.

I keep meaning to get the demo disk since it has a few different events not in the released game. Shhhhhhh. :ssh: This isn't happening!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

So I was listening to some gaming music on Youtube at work and this came up on the auto playlist and I'm wondering how I've never run into it, maybe it came up before!?

Man, the SWAT Kats theme song went to some weird places.

Random Stranger posted:

Literally the game I bought the GameCube for back when it was still a current system.

I keep meaning to get the demo disk since it has a few different events not in the released game. Shhhhhhh. :ssh: This isn't happening!

I have a 50lb box of demo discs and keep meaning to put them up on youtube side-by-side with their final version. Lot of demos with levels and events that were radically different in the final game.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 22, 2017

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Grapeshot posted:

I have a C64c and one floppy drive that has been sitting around for a year. The keyboard probably needs cleaning because it takes a lot of force to respond and it's NTSC so none of the good demos will work.

The 64c doesn't look as super rad as the normal 64 but how much you want for that bad boy?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I feel like I'm the only one who thinks the 64C is better looking, so of course my only 64 is a breadbox, though all my peripherals are from the 64C/128 era (1541-II drive and 1084 monitor). Too bad I just won a 64C case/keyboard on ebay to put my mobo in because we could have worked out some trade

e: also you should play space taxi because its the best C64 game, or at least tied for that position with uridium

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 22, 2017

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I'll add that game to the list.

It's not that the 64c is particularly bad looking, but the 64 has such a classic look.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Yeah it's undeniably a classic design and it's the one I should be kinda nostalgic for since a breadbox 64 was the first retro computer I got into and what really got me into the entire hobby of retro computers back in the mid 90's when I found an amazing setup at a flea market. Now I just feel like it clashes with my amiga gear as it's hooked to the same 1084

If you plan to get a SD2IEC (you really should), here's my SD card zipped up: http://www.filedropper.com/sd2iec_1 just format a card as FAT32 and drop that in the root directory, there's a selector program so you can just enter LOAD"*",8 and it loads the interface.

Every game there has been tested to work both with SD2IEC and NTSC, it's actually kind of a bitch to find stuff because most 64 stuff on the web is PAL versions and in addition the SD2IEC doesn't support true drive emulation so a lot of cracked games with custom loaders etc don't work. I had to spend a lot of time on csdb.dk going through different releases of stuff to find working ones and I'm still exploring the library (just got my SD2IEC a few days ago) so there's not like tons of stuff there yet but it's a good start and most of the classics are there

Here's where I got my SD2IEC from btw, it's the cheapest one I could find but works perfectly and build quality is actually pretty great: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182481218507

EDIT: Be sure to get a Fast Load cart too, especially if you get a SD2IEC as it speeds everything up quite a bit. if you're dealing with real floppies, it speeds some stuff up but some stuff has it's own built in fastloader and won't run with it plugged in. Here's some stuff that works as a fast load, though there are plenty others (final cartridge, etc):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322453429959
https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/shop/commodore/eflr.html

E2: Another benefit of the fastload cart is that it give you a quick shortcut to the LOAD"*",8,1 command, you only have to press the Commodore key and RUN/STOP button and it will automatically run that command. Super handy

d0s fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 22, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

al-azad posted:

Because pop culture wants you to remember, whether you were actually there or not.

I also blame my generation of youtube vidiots for driving up the prices.

I'm losing my edge to the art-school Brooklynites in little jackets and borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered eighties.
But I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge, but I was there.
I was there.

(I'm in my mid-thirties and I've never owned a SNES, but that just means I've been lusting after one for like twenty-five years straight)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's been hanging around my game shelf for nearly ten years now and I keep telling myself one day I'll play through it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's been hanging around my game shelf for nearly ten years now and I keep telling myself one day I'll play through it.

And one day your vision will glitch like a CRT TV screen, leaving you sitting at your gamecube/Wii in the year 2007 having experienced the mother of all Sanity Effects.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It is definitely a pretty special game. I'm not sure how badly it has aged but I'd have to believe its still a lot of fun. I liked it enough at the time to actually play through it a full 3 times to get the extra ending.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

It is definitely a pretty special game. I'm not sure how badly it has aged but I'd have to believe its still a lot of fun. I liked it enough at the time to actually play through it a full 3 times to get the extra ending.

I'd say it still holds up pretty well. The CRT TV Sanity Effects are obviously dated, but they at least still give the idea something's loving with your Television's settings, oh no!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The fly walking across the screen effect remains pretty great and definitely something I'd like more games to do.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

In Training posted:

Im so jealous.

Yeah, Round1 owns until you try to play a music game without bringing your own set of headphones.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who thinks the 64C is better looking, so of course my only 64 is a breadbox, though all my peripherals are from the 64C/128 era (1541-II drive and 1084 monitor). Too bad I just won a 64C case/keyboard on ebay to put my mobo in because we could have worked out some trade

I prefer C64C too, it's more comfortable to use among other things.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, Round1 owns until you try to play a music game without bringing your own set of headphones.

Yeah but only rookies make that kind of mistake.

Thanks for the c64 info. This is my first toe dip into retro computing, since I'm almost out of consoles to buy and need another :retrogames: avenue.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

d0s posted:

If you plan to get a SD2IEC (you really should), here's my SD card zipped up: http://www.filedropper.com/sd2iec just format a card as FAT32 and drop that in the root directory, there's a selector program so you can just enter LOAD"*",8 and it loads the interface.

...and yoink (thanks).

One more vote for the C64c being better, but it's the only one I've ever had, so I'm biased. I prefer the (admittedly small) space for my palms to rest; the breadbox just kinda goes vertical the second you get past the spacebar.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I actually just updated it with Speed Buggy, the NTSC release of the Buggy Boy port that's one of the major exceptions to the rule that most arcade ports to the western 8-bit micros are bad: http://www.filedropper.com/sd2iec_1

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

worthless. posted:

The 64c doesn't look as super rad as the normal 64 but how much you want for that bad boy?

Well, I plugged it in this morning to test and the 1541 started smoking as soon as I turned it on. SO I may have to get back to you about that.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Please inform the 1541 that it's no longer the 80's (or even 90's) and smoking is no longer socially acceptable.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
I opened up the disk drive, there's one burned tantalum capacitor and inductor on the drive PCB that I can probably just replace. Seems to be a fairly common problem with these, so maybe all the other tantalums need to go too.

The C64 itself still works fine, and if you were going to get a disk drive emulator maybe you don't need a 1541 anyway. I'd do $75 plus whatever shipping is, whether you want the 1541 or not. email hoffmaa1 at uci dot edu.

e: maybe I should go make a SA-Mart thread, I had a lot of PC stuff in this closet I should get rid of. PC Engine games, a Shuttle PC from 2002ish, a 90s Toshiba laptop, Blue and White G4, a Sound Blaster AWE64.

Grapeshot fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 22, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Our C64 disk drive died in the mid-90's and my dad just got rid of everything but the monitor so I could use that for the NES and N64 thereafter since he couldn't find a replacement drive in the trading post or pawn shops (eBay and craigslist really are blessing no matter how crappy they have become). That is disappointing that it could have been a simple fix, but I was 10 or 12 when that happened, so I couldn't have fixed it either way, though he usually cracked open our appliances and electronics to fix them and was successful most of the time.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

hell has frozen over, I found an ok deal on an old game at a thrift store in a major metropolitan area in 2017

e: they also had a camo blue NGPC for $15 but I already have one and don't want to be a hoarder so I guess if someone in south florida wants one it's at American Thrift in lauderhill, also a couple of the pokemon n64 games like snap and some other one also for $5

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

d0s posted:

hell has frozen over, I found an ok deal on an old game at a thrift store in a major metropolitan area in 2017

e: they also had a camo blue NGPC for $15 but I already have one and don't want to be a hoarder so I guess if someone in south florida wants one it's at American Thrift in lauderhill, also a couple of the pokemon n64 games like snap and some other one also for $5

Complete with Blockbuster sticker. That hits all the marks for me. :lol:

• Locked thread