Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Random Thoughts about Iron Fist:

Man I'm so loving tired of the "killing is wrong" Marvel nonsense. Can not wait to watch Punisher murder every fool he can. That was the best part of Daredevil season 2.

It's really disappointing how much worse each new Avengers season is, I don't know that I'm going to watch the next one.

Warrior monk who can't control his emotions or have any idea how to actually benefit from meditation, what a crock of poo poo.

Madame Gao and the Drunken Fighter are the only two good spots in this show.

Like, just once I want to watch a hero show where the "good guys" aren't easily manipulated morons. You've got Gao in a room and you don't ask her about being alive forever, or just how/why she's such a badass? I spent most of the show cheering for her.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gyges posted:

So on all the talk we've had on Finn's lovely physique and fighting ability. Looks like the poor bastard never had a chance on that front.

So he got 3 weeks of martial arts and weight training before shooting began. Not even a truckload of steroids and the Matrix is going to get you to a good enough place in a loving month. Then they top it off by giving him 15 minutes to learn and perform the fights/choreography. Also during shooting his martial arts and weight training regime goes out the window because of the hours.

Really hope that the people running The Defenders aren't as loving stupid as the people who ran Iron Fist.

My name is Scott Buck E.P. and I like to gently caress Up T.V.

I actually feel bad for Finn Jones now, I still think Lewis Tan would've made a better lead but Jones never had a fair shot to acquit himself in this dumpster fire of a production.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Wow I'm gonna second that motion on feeling bad for Jones now. Literally no chance.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I did get a macabre laugh out of Harold killing the kid over vanilla ice cream

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Hrmmm

Obviously they made the right choice :rolleyes:

The most memorable scene in the entire series was the Drunken Master fight.

It doesn't help that Finn Jones irl seems to be as retarded as Danny Rand

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i feel like the decision to release one punch man to netflix just a few days after iron fist was a deliberate own

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Wow I'm gonna second that motion on feeling bad for Jones now. Literally no chance.

Yeah, he ain't getting into shape in 1 month. It's not his fault really, but really, how dumb a production do you have to run to short on prep for the lead of a performance that barely has a costume to hide the stunties. Mediocrity is guaranteed with that recipe.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Hollismason posted:

The most memorable scene in the entire series was the Drunken Master fight.

I just finished the series, and that was legit entertaining. I want a Drunken Master series.

Honestly though, I'm pretty basic. I'll watch people punch, kick, and kung fu the poo poo out of each other for days and be satiated. I didn't hate this show, God knows I've seen much worse, but I did enjoy the other Netflix/Marvel shows a lot more. Man, David Tennant is so boss and now I want to watch Jessica Jones again.

Accretionist posted:

My experience with meditation is just a mindfulness meditation. All you do is sit and breath and continually redirect your continually wandering attention back to breath, over and over again. You don't even try to hold it on breath. It's like an isolation exercise for your attentional-control faculty. You just sit and breath and peacefully co-exist with the present moment, preventing your mind from doing it's automatic fueling-reaction-to-stimulus-with-attention thing and increasing the degree to which attentional allocation is a volitional act rather than automatic.

It relaxes the hell out of my mind every time I do it, and stuff from my subconscious pops up all the time. I'm convinced the subconscious isn't terribly different from the conscious, that it's just a question of prominence. Are these particular ideas and memories and emotions prominent enough, or fully formed enough, to automatically garner attention and therefore be noticed? As your brain relaxes, the threshold between 'will be noticed' and 'will not be noticed' drops. Your default state is [Only notice the loud and fully-formed]. Meditate and that changes.

This is fascinating to me. Is there an ASK/TELL ME thread about meditation here on the forum? I would love to read more about it. Or if you could steer me into some related readings, I'd be interested.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 22, 2017

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Ooo...you make me live now honey.

ufarn posted:

I'm pretty sure they have no idea what to do for IF2, and they'd be morons to not make Zhou Cheng front and centre of it. They're on thin enough ice as it is.

Doing Cheng/Ch'i-Lin and Silver Serpent with a possible a-plot for Wing seems like an obvious thing to do. Which obviously doesn't mean they'll do it.

This would have made sense and might have been do-able if they hadn't already used Zhou Cheng as the drunken door guard for Madam Gao's heroin shack.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Prof.Snugglesworth posted:

This would have made sense and might have been do-able if they hadn't already used Zhou Cheng as the drunken door guard for Madam Gao's heroin shack.
Why's that a problem?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I wasn't very impressed by the Drunken Master fight. It was different from the poo poo surrounding it, but maybe I've just been spoiled by Jackie Chan.

I really feel pretty bad for the actors involved in Iron Fist. Hopefully Defenders let them finally earn their place. It really sounds like the entire production of IF was just plain hosed from the get go.

Hollismason posted:

It doesn't help that Finn Jones irl seems to be as retarded as Danny Rand

Why do you say this?

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Ooo...you make me live now honey.

ufarn posted:

Why's that a problem?

I guess it's not really a problem. I'm probably just projecting my disappointment at how this series turned out after having recently read the Immortal Iron Fist.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Random Thoughts about Iron Fist:

Man I'm so loving tired of the "killing is wrong" Marvel nonsense. Can not wait to watch Punisher murder every fool he can. That was the best part of Daredevil season 2.

Its weird because in the movies, Marvel heroes don't really have qualms about killing henchmen and villains

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

achillesforever6 posted:

Its weird because in the movies, Marvel heroes don't really have qualms about killing henchmen and villains

They really don't. Super sanitised murder at a moments notice, even as a joke's punchline, yet Marvel TV wrings it's hands over it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Maluco Marinero posted:

They really don't. Super sanitised murder at a moments notice, even as a joke's punchline, yet Marvel TV wrings it's hands over it.
Just the Netflix shows really, AoS is generally okay with it.

E: It'd be weird if a group of soldiers and spies wasn't okay with killing people.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Just the Netflix shows really, AoS is generally okay with it.

E: It'd be weird if a group of soldiers and spies wasn't okay with killing people.

What about 2 child soldiers raised to kill an evil shadow organization?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Drifter posted:

I wasn't very impressed by the Drunken Master fight. It was different from the poo poo surrounding it, but maybe I've just been spoiled by Jackie Chan.

Compared to fight scenes from just about any other solid kung fu movie it wasn't anything special. Compared to the other fight scenes in Iron Fist though.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, he ain't getting into shape in 1 month. It's not his fault really, but really, how dumb a production do you have to run to short on prep for the lead of a performance that barely has a costume to hide the stunties. Mediocrity is guaranteed with that recipe.

If this is an accurate date, he was cast a year ago: https://news.marvel.com/tv/25904/finn_jones_to_star_in_the_netflix_original_series_marvels_iron_fist/

I presume Finn Jones had other commitments (I stopped watching GoT so have no idea if he's still in it) but if I get my first lead role as a frequently shirtless martial artist, I'm gonna get in shape right away, and would have committed to taking steps to learning martial arts before the audition process. I don't buy it, it's not like the role came out of nowhere. The fight choreography being rushed I can't dispute (and wouldn't, based on what we see in the show), but in terms of his level of preparedness, I think it's clearly sorely lacking*. Especially with Lewis Tan also auditioning for the role - if Finn Jones was aware of the competition, it's even worse that he bumbled in, well, Netflix Danny Rand style. (Was it method acting?)

*Didn't Charlie Cox get prepped for Daredevil S1 in a rush (3 months?) and still killed it, on top of playing a blind person.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Drifter posted:

I really feel pretty bad for the actors involved in Iron Fist. Hopefully Defenders let them finally earn their place. It really sounds like the entire production of IF was just plain hosed from the get go.

Why do you say this?

His response as to why people didn't like Danny Rand was that because Donald Trump is president and also a billionaire people didn't like him.

Goddamn Season 2 Episode 4 The Punisher's monologue is incredible.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Gyges posted:

So he got 3 weeks of martial arts and weight training before shooting began. Not even a truckload of steroids and the Matrix is going to get you to a good enough place in a loving month. Then they top it off by giving him 15 minutes to learn and perform the fights/choreography. Also during shooting his martial arts and weight training regime goes out the window because of the hours.

Hey, I was right about something!

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm still in the first half, but it seems like every now and then in the fights the actors slow themselves down and plot their moves well in advance so the other actor can hit their cue. It's like they got five minutes to practice before each scene to learn where they needed to be. They really should have gotten a lead actor with some martial arts background to make this convincing, and while they're at it, someone that looks like he's worked out for more than a month.

Now I kind of feel bad for Finn Jones, he really didn't have much of a chance. I imagine that he'll be in better shape the next go-around (I hope), and that if they give him more time to prepare he might at least fit the role. It won't fix the lovely writing or dumb character but if he learns how to throw a punch convincingly it might at least save the action sequences.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

The more I think about it, the more I really really dig the idea of a horror movie take on a Marvel villain though it's really hard to think of one. A You're Next style movie with Bullseye would rule.

Nightmare is an obvi villain (from Dr. Strange), alot of stuff from Sleepwalker is a good idea...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Prof.Snugglesworth posted:

Did they ever say his name? I think there's alot of room for his character, as long as Netflix Marvel is flexible about it.

I think the main failing re the productions is that they haven't been so far.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Metalshark posted:

If this is an accurate date, he was cast a year ago: https://news.marvel.com/tv/25904/finn_jones_to_star_in_the_netflix_original_series_marvels_iron_fist/

I presume Finn Jones had other commitments (I stopped watching GoT so have no idea if he's still in it) but if I get my first lead role as a frequently shirtless martial artist, I'm gonna get in shape right away, and would have committed to taking steps to learning martial arts before the audition process. I don't buy it, it's not like the role came out of nowhere. The fight choreography being rushed I can't dispute (and wouldn't, based on what we see in the show), but in terms of his level of preparedness, I think it's clearly sorely lacking*. Especially with Lewis Tan also auditioning for the role - if Finn Jones was aware of the competition, it's even worse that he bumbled in, well, Netflix Danny Rand style. (Was it method acting?)

*Didn't Charlie Cox get prepped for Daredevil S1 in a rush (3 months?) and still killed it, on top of playing a blind person.

I think he was still doing Game Of Thrones work until shortly before Iron Fist production started. Still should have been trying to cram some Kung Fu training, but that does limit both his time and his ability to significantly change his body with training.

Obviously don't cast the guy if he isn't ready and all, but that's​ more in line with the production being run by loving monkeys. There is absolutely no reason to wait so long to even figure out what you want to do when Daredevil had time to be a bit and churn out a second season before they really even got going.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, as soon as daredevil was a success, they should have locked some guy in a monastery and beat him until, 2 years later, he was ready to play the Iron Fist.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I believe they do say his name, either in the "wake up, let us in" or in his banter at Danny.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Did they ever say his name? I think there's alot of room for his character, as long as Netflix Marvel is flexible about it.

I think the main failing re the productions is that they haven't been so far.
He introduces himself by name. And he obviously makes it clear that he's trying to contain something with the alcohol, mentions Chi'i-Lin etc.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Senjuro posted:

After finishing Iron Fist all I can think of is how much I'm looking forward to The Punisher and the inevitable scene where someone gives him the "if you kill this psychotic murderer you're just as bad as he is" speech and he just promptly ignores them. I can buy it with Daredevil because he's very religious but this trope is really getting old and feels incredibly out of place with how bloody and "mature" they try to make all the Marvel Netflix shows.

I would like a show to acknowledge that when you violently hit people in the head or chest with a blunt object occasionally they may die. It would be nice for our new more realistic heroes to acknowledge that there is no perfectly temporary disabling but non-lethal level of violence.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for it to get used in a court case. Where a teenager hits someone in the head with a frying pan and kills them, and their lawyer cites literally thousands of examples of why they would not think that it is assault with a deadly weapon.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ufarn posted:

He introduces himself by name. And he obviously makes it clear that he's trying to contain something with the alcohol, mentions Chi'i-Lin etc.

Oh wait, THATS how they introduce Chi-Lin? Haha wow, the clip online only starts with the fight, that is terrible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

I would like a show to acknowledge that when you violently hit people in the head or chest with a blunt object occasionally they may die. It would be nice for our new more realistic heroes to acknowledge that there is no perfectly temporary disabling but non-lethal level of violence.

Yes, and also anyone performing superheroics would a basically non-functional mess between constant injuries and general fuckups but I don't think anyone is asking for a Daredevil which is 4 episodes long and ends when he's left with crippling brain damage.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Hollismason posted:

His response as to why people didn't like Danny Rand was that because Donald Trump is president and also a billionaire people didn't like him.

That's especially funny because I'm pretty sure Ward Meachum was the best new character in the show. poo poo, Danny wasn't even the second-best rich white dude in his own show.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think it's important to recognize how unrealistic combat is - although it's established that Danny and Matt have supernatural healing abilities - but Iron Man would also be dead a million times over with a closer scrutiny of head injuries and just organs getting thrown around in general.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

double negative posted:

That's especially funny because I'm pretty sure Ward Meachum was the best new character in the show. poo poo, Danny wasn't even the second-best rich white dude in his own show.

Ward and Danny both struggled with the Hand, control of Rand, questioning their path, and Harold Meachum. Ward displayed far more growth as a character in the process.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I love Harold. Absolutely nothing he says sounds sincere. That's not intended as a complaint.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Season 2 and Ward's quest to become the lesser Zinc Fist.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ward went from almost charicature joke of a character that I can't believe made it to the screen to holy poo poo he's like the only good character on this show.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think I soured on all of the Netflix Marvel shows because now I feel like DareDevil is the only one that I watched and came away from feeling like I got the gist of what they were about.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What was the point of The Hand in the Iron Fist series anyway like at least with Daredevil Season 2 we kind of understood the motivation behind The Hand but I can't figure poo poo all about what The Hand were doing in Iron Fist at all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

What was the point of Iron Fist series anyway like at least with Daredevil we kind of understood the motivation behind The Hand but I can't figure poo poo all about what The Hand were doing in Iron Fist at all.

They were trying to unite all Asian nationalities under the umbrella of selling heroin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Roy Thomas , NOooooooooooooo.

https://www.inverse.com/article/29155-iron-fist-marvel-comics-whitewashing-roy-thomas

quote:

You mentioned before all of the whitewashing controversy that’s been swirling around Iron Fist. Could you expand on that a bit?

Yeah, someone made me vaguely aware of that. I try not to think about it too much. I have so little patience for some of the feelings that some people have. I mean, I understand where it’s coming from. You know, cultural appropriation, my god. It’s just an adventure story. Don’t these people have something better to do than to worry about the fact that Iron Fist isn’t Oriental, or whatever word? I know Oriental isn’t the right word now, either.

https://twitter.com/JHenwick/status...4b0ec9d29dfc1dc