Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ok just making sure because there were a few things people used that only worked in older XBMC builds.

The cheap Fire tabs would be plenty of power to run it, unless you wanted to hook it up to a TV/other display. They're not really good for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Ok just making sure because there were a few things people used that only worked in older XBMC builds.

The cheap Fire tabs would be plenty of power to run it, unless you wanted to hook it up to a TV/other display. They're not really good for that.

Yeah sorry, force of habit, I've been using the software since I modded my original xbox :) No need for TV output or anything like that either, just playing stuff on the tablet display.

Blue Train posted:

I'd get the 8 inch one it has slightly better hardware for slightly more money but it makes the experience much better

I'd love to but that's outside of my budget for this project. I'm really not using it for anything other than Kodi, honestly, and the screen size is relatively unimportant.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Blue Train posted:

I'd get the 8 inch one it has slightly better hardware for slightly more money but it makes the experience much better

Don't they have the same internals?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Virtue posted:

Don't they have the same internals?

There was a new 8" model in 2016 that improved the internals. If the 2015 8" is anything like the 10" Fire, it's gonna run like dogshit.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea the 2016 8" tablet has an extra 512mb ram compared to the 7, I think they have the same cpu tho

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It looks like the new 8" has 5ghz wifi too, which the 7" does not have.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Bought the Shield K1. It is my first android device after using nothing but ios since the beginning.
First impression, the OS is so nicely customizable I love it. Way more powerful features.
I updated it to 7.0, the settings screen became worse, performance became worse, and options disappeared.
Then I saw that the overall impression people have is that Android tablets are basically being neglected by manufacturers (is that correct?). And the Shield is being abandoned by Nvidia.
Now I am sad and will return it.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Blue Train posted:

Yea the 2016 8" tablet has an extra 512mb ram compared to the 7, I think they have the same cpu tho

To be clear this is the 7" and 8" that are currently being sold on amazon yes?

I bought the 7" one on sale a few months ago and have been disappointed with the performance and screen. Was considering trying the 8" one instead but I thought I read that they had the same internals so there would be no point.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Tenacious J posted:

Bought the Shield K1. It is my first android device after using nothing but ios since the beginning.
First impression, the OS is so nicely customizable I love it. Way more powerful features.
I updated it to 7.0, the settings screen became worse, performance became worse, and options disappeared.
Then I saw that the overall impression people have is that Android tablets are basically being neglected by manufacturers (is that correct?). And the Shield is being abandoned by Nvidia.

Where are you seeing any kind of indication that the Shield is being abandoned? The fact that they actually released 7.0 on it puts them worlds ahead of every other manufacturer.

If performance suffered from the upgrade, honestly, the easy solution is to factory reset. It'll clear out any cruft left over from the upgrade process, and when you sign back in all your apps should be reinstalled automatically.

Beyond that, what options disappeared that you're concerned about? Maybe we can help.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Virtue posted:

To be clear this is the 7" and 8" that are currently being sold on amazon yes?

Yes

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Tenacious J posted:

What is this bizarro post? Are you reading forums posts from like 2 years ago when they had supply issues and people were just like "oh they're never in stock therefore they must be abandoning it"? Performance has always been great on my SHIELD, haven't noticed any options disappearing and it's one of the few tablets that remains as close to stock android while still getting updates.

E: huh, literally defending my purchase lol

Budgie fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 19, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

To be fair, Nvidia has publicly abandoned the portable market though they've done a great job of keeping the devices that are out there up to date.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
It's also worth noting that the shield tablet came out in, what, 2014? It got a little refresh in 2015 but the specs stayed the same. It's pretty drat old by phone/tablet standards. It's nice that it got 7.0 but I don't expect it to get anything past that.

FWIW 7.0 seems pretty fast on mine, make sure you're not using adopted storage because that poo poo slows it down and totally sucks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's also worth noting that the shield tablet came out in, what, 2014? It got a little refresh in 2015 but the specs stayed the same. It's pretty drat old by phone/tablet standards. It's nice that it got 7.0 but I don't expect it to get anything past that.

FWIW 7.0 seems pretty fast on mine, make sure you're not using adopted storage because that poo poo slows it down and totally sucks.

It may be three years old, but unfortunately there's still nothing better in the size and price range.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MikeJF posted:

It may be three years old, but unfortunately there's still nothing better in the size and price range.

I agree with this, and it sucks. The 2 GB of RAM and TEGRA chip are definitely showing it's age by now. My tablet has a tendency to kick Google Music out of memory and stop it from playing if it gets too overwhelmed, for example.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Best buy has knocked $30 off the Samsung Chromebook Plus already. That's Google's new Chromebook 2:1 reference with Play Store preloaded.

Plus is the ARM version, Intel M3 version is coming next month.

This is essentially where Android tablets are heading now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Best buy has knocked $30 off the Samsung Chromebook Plus already. That's Google's new Chromebook 2:1 reference with Play Store preloaded.

Plus is the ARM version, Intel M3 version is coming next month.

This is essentially where Android tablets are heading now.

The Chromebook Plus has a really nice feel and build to it (although like all non-Mac laptops the trackpad is too small). I wouldn't get an ARM Chromebook though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's sort of a catch 22 situation. The ARM Chromebook is likely to continue to be better at Android apps than the Intel one, at the expense of raw performance in Chrome.

The Intel one will be faster, but will likely always have edge case compatibility issues. With the current Pro software that was given for review units, the ARM one was outperforming the Intel one in games.

Personally, I want the Pro version because it's black and I'm tired of shiny silver notebooks.

I just don't know if I want another device without an OLED screen. I'm being very spoiled by my TV and LCD is rapidly becoming "not good enough" for anything.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 20, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google finally saw fit to give the Pixel C the Pixel launcher in the latest 7.1.2 beta.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/20/pixel-c-gets-pixel-launcher-pixel-style-nav-buttons-7-1-2-beta-2/

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Google finally saw fit to give the Pixel C the Pixel launcher in the latest 7.1.2 beta.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/20/pixel-c-gets-pixel-launcher-pixel-style-nav-buttons-7-1-2-beta-2/

Android tablets ftw

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Swap "Pixel C" in with "Android Home" here, and it encapsulates my frustration with Google:

https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/843852120562552832

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

Android tablets ftw

Eh, the iPad's settings screen isn't much better, the only real difference is they pin the hamburger menu rather than hide it so the white space isn't as obvious.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 21, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I've never seen the point of large tablets - IMO 8" 16:10 is as big as you can practically go (or iPad Mini size in 4:3)

I have a the larger iPad Pro on my desk at work (because the CE wanted it) and iOS is just ridiculous on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would love a decent modern 7-8" tablet if someone would make it. The K1 isn't enough of a jump over the Nexus 7 2013 to make it worth buying at this point in it's lifecycle.

7", 16:9, 1440 resolution, OLED, 4GB RAM, 64+ GB storage, and SD 835.

I don't even care what it would cost at this point, I just want it.

Hell, I would take a Pixel XL, exactly as is, scaled up to 7 inches.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

dissss posted:

I've never seen the point of large tablets - IMO 8" 16:10 is as big as you can practically go (or iPad Mini size in 4:3)
I'm the opposite; why would I use a 7" device when my phone is nearly that big? Why wouldn't I want my tablet to be as big as a comic book page, since that's 90% of what I do on it?

In other tablet news, Apple surprised everyone today with a new iPad that's only $329. Not that anyone's really making Android tablets right now but this definitely changes expectations for non-lovely tablets.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Keep in mind that they shitified it in the process by cheapening the display. It's no longer laminated and it drops the antireflective coating.

So, the mini actually has a better display than the iPad now.

Even Apple is racing to the bottom when it comes to tablets.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 21, 2017

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Hell, I would take a Pixel XL, exactly as is, scaled up to 7 inches.

I wish that this was exactly what the pixel xl actually was. I just got mine (replacing a Nexus 6), and while the smoothness is pretty great, the smaller screen is unfortunate. I'm sure I'll get used to it again.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bull3964 posted:

Keep in mind that they shitified it in the process by cheapening the display. It's no longer laminated and it drops the antireflective coating.

So, the mini actually has a better display than the iPad now.

Even Apple is racing to the bottom when it comes to tablets.

It's mostly because the tablet market has been collapsing for over 2 years now:

"Consumer spending during the holiday quarter of 2016 was clearly not aimed at consuming tablets as the market continued its spiraling decline. The fourth quarter of 2016 (4Q16) marked the ninth consecutive quarter that tablet shipments have declined. According to preliminary data from the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Tablet Tracker, vendors shipped 52.9 million tablets in the fourth quarter, which was a decline of 20.1% from the same quarter one year ago. Similarly, shipments of 174.8 million units for the full year 2016 were down 15.6% compared to 2015, marking the second straight year of declining shipments. "

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS42272117

For a comparison, desktop and laptop sales only fell 6.2% in 2016 versus 2015, to 269.7 million units sold.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Syrinxx posted:

I'm the opposite; why would I use a 7" device when my phone is nearly that big?
Exactly this. My OG Samsung Tab S 10.5 was both the correct size and aspect ratio for consuming media, especially while sitting up in bed. I wish it hadn't poo poo the bed on me last week.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I can totally understand. The best model will just have to be the Amazon 7/8 inch and you treat it like a workhorse. Abuse it. Buy one every two years.

Then you can also have a ten inch tablet. Your baby. The one that has a great display and plays media very well. Probably invest in it and keep it for 4 years.

I feel like that's where we're going to be.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nmfree posted:

Exactly this. My OG Samsung Tab S 10.5 was both the correct size and aspect ratio for consuming media, especially while sitting up in bed.

I always see this, that tablets are for "consuming media" in bed. When I lay in bed and consume media, I set my laptop on top of me and use zero hands. Are there people literally holding the screen they're using to watch poo poo for hours at a time? I'd consider that akin to torture. I'm certain I'd prefer dental work (at least I'm not holding something for an hour).

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I always see this, that tablets are for "consuming media" in bed. When I lay in bed and consume media, I set my laptop on top of me and use zero hands. Are there people literally holding the screen they're using to watch poo poo for hours at a time? I'd consider that akin to torture. I'm certain I'd prefer dental work (at least I'm not holding something for an hour).

Most cases for tablets fold in such a way that it can prop up the tablet to stand up with zero hands and a tablet weighs much less than even the lightest laptop and is probably more durable if it falls off the bed if you roll over after falling asleep.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

fishmech posted:

It's mostly because the tablet market has been collapsing for over 2 years now:

"Consumer spending during the holiday quarter of 2016 was clearly not aimed at consuming tablets as the market continued its spiraling decline. The fourth quarter of 2016 (4Q16) marked the ninth consecutive quarter that tablet shipments have declined. According to preliminary data from the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Tablet Tracker, vendors shipped 52.9 million tablets in the fourth quarter, which was a decline of 20.1% from the same quarter one year ago. Similarly, shipments of 174.8 million units for the full year 2016 were down 15.6% compared to 2015, marking the second straight year of declining shipments. "

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS42272117

For a comparison, desktop and laptop sales only fell 6.2% in 2016 versus 2015, to 269.7 million units sold.

Ya tablets don't have the demand nor the 2 upgrade cycle phones have (or had depends on your wants).

My mother still uses her iPad 2 and isn't interested in getting a new iPad. I've thought about gifting her my Air 2 and getting an Android tablet to go with my phone, but there just doesn't seem to be anything to rival an iPad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just use a TV when lying in bed.

I do like a tablet to "consume media" throughout the house though and that's mostly because it's just easier on Android than a computer.

Slingbox? App is better on a phone or tablet than in browser.

Tivo? App works better on phone or tablet than in browser.

FiOS app? No real analog on a computer.

The other big place where I would use a tablet to consume media is when traveling. Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu all allow downloading offline content as does the Tivo app. I can just use my phone, but a bigger screen (not to mention not killing the battery on the phone) make it a little more advantageous to use a separate device.

I remember 10 years ago painstakingly ripping DVDs and encoding them to carry a few movies with me on a flight. Now I have my entire movie library as digital copies in Vudu that I can download with a single button press. Or, if I want, I can just record something off TV and transfer it to my device. Barring all of that, I can just download off of Netflix or Amazon. Because of this though, I would want either a device with at least 64gb (preferably 128gb) of storage or SD support for downloads.

The Tab S3 interests me against my better judgement due to HDR support with Amazon and that beautiful OLED screen. Con is everything in the software layer and I don't think I would be able to deal with it.

My Pixel C's screen kind of pisses me off because it has some pretty big uniformity issues. It's yellow tinged around all the edges with some amount of vignetting and Google seems to think some yellow tinging is within spec and their recommendation is just to raise the brightness. I also can't deal with the black level of LCD anymore, but I'm ruined after owning an OLED TV.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Most cases for tablets fold in such a way that it can prop up the tablet to stand up with zero hands and a tablet weighs much less than even the lightest laptop and is probably more durable if it falls off the bed if you roll over after falling asleep.

A Pixel C without a case is 18 ounces and a MacBook is 33 ounces, not exactly a burden (and not counting that case).

I've also never fallen asleep with electronics piled on top of me playing media so not a risk there.

I understand bull's usage and that's how I'd use a tablet too, it's specifically the lying in bed watching poo poo I don't get.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I always wonder why everyone complains about not being able to sleep, but I guess it's because they're surrounding themselves with electronics to watch anime in bed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Embargo broke on the Tab S3.

As sexy as the exterior and display are, those benchmarks...
https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/22/samsung-galaxy-tab-s3-review/

Benchmarks aren't the be all end all, but the 15 month old Pixel C romps it despite having a higher resolution display.

At this point, I think if Samsung really wants to charge $600 for this device, they should have dropped their latest and greatest exynos processor in it which seems to be out performing the 835 (let alone the 820.)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Endless Mike posted:

I always wonder why everyone complains about not being able to sleep, but I guess it's because they're surrounding themselves with electronics to watch anime in bed.
Are you spying on me through my microwave??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, and I'm really confused as to why your microwave is in your bedroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

Look at this scrub who doesn't root his OLED devices to let him convert the displays to red monochrome, missing out on discontented but content-full tossing and turning on a bariatric cot with old Samsungs grip-taped to the side rails :shepicide: