Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Disgraced Philly DA looks to be headed to PMITA Federal prison.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/DA-Seth-Williams-federal-charges-Philadelphia.html

quote:

The expected charges cap a year and a half of controversy for the prosecutor, who began his term in 2010 with promises of reform. But his pledge to bring sweeping change to the city’s criminal justice system has been overshadowed in recent months by his own scandals and the probe into his personal and political spending.

Since at least summer 2015, FBI and IRS agents have been investigating Williams’ finances; a federal grand jury that August subpoenaed records from his political campaign fund as investigators probed whether the prosecutor misspent funds on personal expenses. Also receiving a subpoena for financial records was the Second Chance Foundation, a nonprofit Williams founded to help at-risk children families.

In January, Williams was fined $62,000 by the Philadelphia Board of Ethics for failing to report more than $175,000 in gifts he had accepted. The fine, the largest in the board’s 10-year history, was over gifts that included a new roof, luxury vacations, Eagles sidelines passes, and the use of a defense attorney’s home in Florida.

Yeah, this is just the start, it's just being charged at this point, but the conviction rate in Federal court is well north of 90%; if a Federal prosecutor has you in his sights you are going down.

NB: This post does not constitute an endorsement of prison rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

Nuebot posted:

Good, gently caress that guy. As an epileptic myself, I've come to actively avoid trying to explain it to people because the single most common reaction I've gotten, even in professional work places, is for someone to either load up a flashing gif or to flick the lights on and off and asking "This won't like, freak you out will it?" And while I'm lucky enough that it won't, it could really harm someone who is photosensitive. It's extra fun when people berate me for not showing up, or being late, to work because I had a seizure and ask why I can't "just get over it".

poo poo, you need better co-workers. Mine padded the file cabinet after I hit my head and keep a pillow around in case I fall :unsmith:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMUGAKx4BYw

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The worst beef in the entire video is actually at the very end with the links to the other episodes. Always wear a helmet.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
That last sentence.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Bogan King posted:

That last sentence.

It's even better when you consider the age gap.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BattleSausage posted:

poo poo, you need better co-workers. Mine padded the file cabinet after I hit my head and keep a pillow around in case I fall :unsmith:

Most people just make fun of my mild lisp. Because you know, I've nearly bitten my tongue in half multiple times now, it's mostly scar tissue and doesn't work so great. :smith:

Bogan King posted:

That last sentence.

I kind of assumed that somehow still took place in florida until I read the whole thing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Australia is the Florida of the world.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

That crocodile needs to find less violent ways to impress girls. This isn't the stone age anymore.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Some of you guys may have noticed Firefox is now warning you if a login username/password box is not protected by encryption. If you haven't seen it, Firefox is putting a little pop up on the boxes like the little hover tool-tips you see for image alt-text and so on.

A website operator had complaints about their insecure login page from its users and in turn complained to Mozilla about it, saying in part: "Please remove it immediately. We have our own security system, and it has never been breached in more than 15 years. Your notice is causing concern by our subscribers and is detrimental to our business."

They've been hacked into oblivion.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

Some of you guys may have noticed Firefox is now warning you if a login username/password box is not protected by encryption. If you haven't seen it, Firefox is putting a little pop up on the boxes like the little hover tool-tips you see for image alt-text and so on.

A website operator had complaints about their insecure login page from its users and in turn complained to Mozilla about it, saying in part: "Please remove it immediately. We have our own security system, and it has never been breached in more than 15 years. Your notice is causing concern by our subscribers and is detrimental to our business."

This sort of thing baffles me because getting some basic encryption running is so drat easy. It takes some serious dedication not to use it when the tools are RIGHT THERE for you to use.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Parts Kit posted:

"Even good 'ol Netscape warns you!
Let this one sink in: A 20 year old browser is telling users not input any credentials into this website due to lack of encryption."

If you understand nerd talk the reddit thread Ars linked to is great.

"It's fully vulnerable to SQL injection. Just put a ' in the login form and you get a pretty ASP.NET debug stack trace."

"Their database is broken now, somebody dropped their users-table which was vulnerable to SQL injection... Via the login form." "Haha, yep. The OGIUser table seems to be gone." "To be fair, that's probably the nicest way to gently caress them over, rather than just stealing user data, at least this way now no one is vulnerable to getting their user/pass stolen."

"Their subscription registration page (conveniently named "SSL_Subscribe\subscribe_us.aspx") in fact does not use SSL and sends credit card information unencrypted over the wire.
A note at the bottom reads "All credit card information is encrypted using our Secure Transaction Server." Who needs SSL when you have STS?"

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Slime posted:

This sort of thing baffles me because getting some basic encryption running is so drat easy. It takes some serious dedication not to use it when the tools are RIGHT THERE for you to use.

With Let's Encrypt, its totally free. There's zero excuse to not encrypt in 2017.

Also SQL injection in the login form is some loving 1996 poo poo.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Bogan King posted:

That last sentence.

Well, did the crocodile impress her or not?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bossy lady posted:

With Let's Encrypt, its totally free. There's zero excuse to not encrypt in 2017.

Also SQL injection in the login form is some loving 1996 poo poo.

They "haven't been hacked in 15 years" probably means they built the site in 2001 and haven't changed anything since. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

OH GOD WHY IS EVERYTHING BROKE NOW?!?!?!?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So did the croc get the girl?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

They "haven't been hacked in 15 years" probably means they built the site in 2001 and haven't changed anything since. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

OH GOD WHY IS EVERYTHING BROKE NOW?!?!?!?

I'm pretty certain they've been getting hacked constantly for 15 years and just never realized it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

I'm pretty certain they've been getting hacked constantly for 15 years and just never realized it.

Looks more like they were rolling with 'security through obscurity' and hosed it up by opening their big mouths.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

syscall girl posted:

Looks more like they were rolling with 'security through obscurity' and hosed it up by opening their big mouths.

It can often take a large business forever to notice an intrusion. These guys were rolling with no HTTPS, unencrypted passwords and unsecured credit card transactions. Do you think they'd be able to tell?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Video is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnLyt6v59_o

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Australia is the Florida of the Pacific and Queensland is the Florida of Australia

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Former Colorado GOP chairman Steven Curtis charged with voter fraud.

Colorado's single case of voter fraud in 2016 is a Republican state chairman who accused the Democrats of fraud.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Memento posted:

Former Colorado GOP chairman Steven Curtis charged with voter fraud.

Colorado's single case of voter fraud in 2016 is a Republican state chairman who accused the Democrats of fraud.

Christ, it's like they just can't help themselves.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Christ, it's like they just can't help themselves.

Classic projection

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I know people find the schadenfreude in different places but that pipe breaking gif just makes me worry they got hurt. If they'd cut someone off first or something ok but that's just loving terrible luck. That being said still cool gif

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

I lost it at "about 10 cups of goon"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

roo.sh is the website for known scum of humanity Roosh V, so I feel like that headline is not exactly an accurate telling of what happened!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

RyokoTK posted:

roo.sh is the website for known scum of humanity Roosh V, so I feel like that headline is not exactly an accurate telling of what happened!

It actually pretty much is. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...or-frostbitten/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
We had a discussion about that when it happened, her team were all really confident that they could make it up the mountain, because of all their climbing experience.

None of which involved any mountains in the Himalayas - so they had climbed no mountains that had "death zones". They were woefully underprepared for Everest, the vegan thing was kind of just a turd cherry on this particular poo poo sundae.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Someone needs to turn in her cat card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osEG7ed__FA

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Parts Kit posted:

Bonus Schaden: you can turn off that option in about :config (the popup blocks some things sometimes) if you Google for about a minute. He went to Firefox because he didn't want to do some work and turn off that option.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Australia is the Florida of the Pacific and Queensland is the Florida of Australia

but is he from the florida of queensland? i'm not impressed of by a double florida. Only triple or the coveted quad florida

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

snergle posted:

but is he from the florida of queensland? i'm not impressed of by a double florida. Only triple or the coveted quad florida

The dude jumped in a croc infested river after drinking 10 cups of boxed wine to impress a woman who said she wouldn't be impressed by him doing that. If you can't work out if he is from the Florida of Florida Florida with that knowledge already at your disposal then answering your question won't help.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

"Even good 'ol Netscape warns you!
Let this one sink in: A 20 year old browser is telling users not input any credentials into this website due to lack of encryption."

If you understand nerd talk the reddit thread Ars linked to is great.

So basically this:

but in real life?

Hoooooly poo poo. That's amazing.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Bonus Schaden: you can turn off that option in about :config (the popup blocks some things sometimes) if you Google for about a minute. He went to Firefox because he didn't want to do some work and turn off that option.

The person who complained to firefox wasn't one of the users; it was one of the website administrators, after getting complaints from users about the insecure login form.

User reports security hole to website admin -> admin whines to firefox devs rather than fixing site -> site is now a smoking crater.

ToxicFrog has a new favorite as of 07:14 on Mar 22, 2017

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RyokoTK posted:

The guy who advocates for legalizing rape and brags about committing it himself, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Regalingualius posted:

The guy who advocates for legalizing rape and brags about committing it himself, right?

One of many, but yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

The dude jumped in a croc infested river after drinking 10 cups of boxed wine to impress a woman who said she wouldn't be impressed by him doing that. If you can't work out if he is from the Florida of Florida Florida with that knowledge already at your disposal then answering your question won't help.

Ahem. In Australia "boxed wine" should be correctly referred to by it's correct name, the "goon bag".

Which is pretty appropriate for SA really.

Bonus tip: After you've had enough it makes a good pillow.