Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Can pretty much any tailor make minor adjustments or do I need to find a specialized one? If the latter, where did you send yours?

No, go to an actual leathers tailor. There's several on each coast, whereabouts are you? I know some east coast ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

M42 posted:

No, go to an actual leathers tailor. There's several on each coast, whereabouts are you? I know some east coast ones

SF Bay. I like the sound of Just Leather, they might be the ticket.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Tactical Lesbian posted:

SF Bay. I like the sound of Just Leather, they might be the ticket.

If you are in SF look up Johnson Leathers. They made a really nice custom jacket for me.

http://www.johnsonleather.com/products.htm

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

SimonCat posted:

If you are in SF look up Johnson Leathers. They made a really nice custom jacket for me.

http://www.johnsonleather.com/products.htm

Will do, thanks!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Attention lady riders and also -Inu-

I am soon to be in the market for some relaxed/sumo fit one piece leathers. Pokie says some of you just wear men's, but I have thick thighs so men's pants don't really fit well. Do you have any advice? I live near SF, should I just go to the Dainese store and be fancy? Tia
Women's suits are a bitch because body proportions vary so widely, which does not mesh well when trying to fit into an off-the-rack, relatively form fitting suit. The fact that there are so few pieces of high-end women's gear just makes it even worse. The only times I've really had any luck getting a lady into a proper fitting suit is if their body was proportional. For instance, the A/S Stella Motegi (at least the old one - can't comment on v2) has a lot of hip/thigh room, but it's also large everywhere else. Similarly, the Dai suit we stocked in the store (I honestly can't remember which one it was) fit well if you were petite. Unless you were petite with a large bust, in which case you were hosed. Also, depending on how tall you are, it's common for suits to be so long that they go down to your feet, which is unwearable.

9 times out of 10, I'd have to fit women in a zippable jacket + pants combo. Much easier to get a good fit that way, since there are a lot more jackets and you can mix and match between both styles and manufacturers. Depending on your measurements, you may have to go custom, or settle for a suit that doesn't fit as perfectly as you'd like.

The best advice I can give you is to shoot Joanne aka Gearchic a message with your measurements and what you're looking for. I used to work with her every day, and she is the most knowledgeable person I've ever met when it comes to women's gear. If something exists that will fit you, she will know. It's very possible that you may have to go custom, though.

edit: And yeah, you have to go to a tailor who specializes in leather. Regular tailors don't have the equipment to properly sew leather that thick. Also, seams on gear - especially suits - are incredibly strategically placed. It's best to go to a motorcycle-oriented business because they will (or at least should) be knowledgeable enough to work around the manufacturer seams without compromising the suit's integrity. They'll have access to threads of the proper thickness, know when to single stitch and when to double stitch, know how to double stitch properly, be able to identify and maintain protected seams, etc.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 15, 2017

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm an unusual sized guy and I've had good luck getting used leathers relatively cheap and then having them altered by a leather tailor, for what it's worth.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

-Inu- posted:

Women's suits are a bitch because body proportions vary so widely, which does not mesh well when trying to fit into an off-the-rack, relatively form fitting suit. The fact that there are so few pieces of high-end women's gear just makes it even worse. The only times I've really had any luck getting a lady into a proper fitting suit is if their body was proportional. For instance, the A/S Stella Motegi (at least the old one - can't comment on v2) has a lot of hip/thigh room, but it's also large everywhere else. Similarly, the Dai suit we stocked in the store (I honestly can't remember which one it was) fit well if you were petite. Unless you were petite with a large bust, in which case you were hosed. Also, depending on how tall you are, it's common for suits to be so long that they go down to your feet, which is unwearable.

9 times out of 10, I'd have to fit women in a zippable jacket + pants combo. Much easier to get a good fit that way, since there are a lot more jackets and you can mix and match between both styles and manufacturers. Depending on your measurements, you may have to go custom, or settle for a suit that doesn't fit as perfectly as you'd like.

The best advice I can give you is to shoot Joanne aka Gearchic a message with your measurements and what you're looking for. I used to work with her every day, and she is the most knowledgeable person I've ever met when it comes to women's gear. If something exists that will fit you, she will know. It's very possible that you may have to go custom, though.

edit: And yeah, you have to go to a tailor who specializes in leather. Regular tailors don't have the equipment to properly sew leather that thick. Also, seams on gear - especially suits - are incredibly strategically placed. It's best to go to a motorcycle-oriented business because they will (or at least should) be knowledgeable enough to work around the manufacturer seams without compromising the suit's integrity. They'll have access to threads of the proper thickness, know when to single stitch and when to double stitch, know how to double stitch properly, be able to identify and maintain protected seams, etc.

Thanks for the super detailed response! I think I'll yolobuy the Stella Motegi in a size up and get it adjusted by one of the two leatherworking places recommended nearby. :swoon:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Thanks for the super detailed response! I think I'll yolobuy the Stella Motegi in a size up and get it adjusted by one of the two leatherworking places recommended nearby. :swoon:
No problemo. Glad to help. Let us know how it works out for you!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone have opinions on the HJC RPHA ST vs Scorpion T1200 vs AGV K3 SV?

I'm looking for a good sport touring helmet with an integrated sun visor and these three seem to stand out in the $200-300 range. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on these or what else I should be looking at?

For reference, my past HJC's have fit like a glove, so whatever shape they are is what works for me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's gonna be down to fit more than anything, IMO.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yeah, fit is what it will boil down to. I've found that AGV tends to have a very round fit.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm an unusual sized guy and I've had good luck getting used leathers relatively cheap and then having them altered by a leather tailor, for what it's worth.

it is real sad that trim and handsome has become unusual these days imo

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

EX250 Type R posted:

it is real sad that trim and handsome has become unusual these days imo

you're probably OK if you buy something by a European brand, but Olympia, Klim, and other US brands? Forget about it. If I get something sized to fit my shoulders and arms it hangs light a tent off my chest and waist. I really like the Induction, too :smith:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jazzzzz posted:

you're probably OK if you buy something by a European brand, but Olympia, Klim, and other US brands? Forget about it. If I get something sized to fit my shoulders and arms it hangs light a tent off my chest and waist. I really like the Induction, too :smith:

Ah yes, what I like to call the American Cut.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
Any recommendations for a jacket for extremely hot/humid weather? I'm down in Houston and getting stuck in stop and go traffic can be a bitch at times, even in the 80s. My current jacket is this one, for reference: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-mesh-tex-jacket I do like it, but I'm just curious to know if there is any better out there for hot weather riding.

FWIW, the jacket feels great when riding at higher speeds, just curious to know if there is anything significantly better.

torturemyballs fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 20, 2017

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
You're not going to get a jacket with much more mesh for flowing air. Get a cooling base layer. They actually work pretty well. Some manufacturers call them "performance" base layers. Other than that, you're looking at getting a cooling vest that you freeze or drench in water. That would probably suck in the humidity, though.
Comedy Option: install A/C on your bike.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

its all nice on rice posted:

You're not going to get a jacket with much more mesh for flowing air. Get a cooling base layer. They actually work pretty well. Some manufacturers call them "performance" base layers. Other than that, you're looking at getting a cooling vest that you freeze or drench in water. That would probably suck in the humidity, though.
Comedy Option: install A/C on your bike.

Ok thanks that's what I figured, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something out there. I'll check out the base layers and vests but most likely I'm going to deal with it and try to avoid bad traffic as much as possible.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Normally I'd say just gently caress it and split the lanes when traffic is stopped, but you know, Texas. You're liable to get run over and shot, and not necessarily in that order.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

Normally I'd say just gently caress it and split the lanes when traffic is stopped, but you know, Texas. You're liable to get run over and shot, and not necessarily in that order.

Honestly lane splitting scares the gently caress out of me, even where legal. I used to be freaked out seeing it when I lived in California, never got used to it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

torturemyballs posted:

Honestly lane splitting scares the gently caress out of me, even where legal. I used to be freaked out seeing it when I lived in California, never got used to it.

It loving rules. One of my favorite riding memories was following 2 CHP Bike Cops through 30+ miles of traffic on 210 in LA. Those cats can move. :stare:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Hey Inu, I've got a friend that is getting into riding and he needs some gear advice. He wears either a 15 wide or 16 in most shoe brands, and I'm having trouble finding some full length riding boots that have good ankle roll protection. Any suggestions?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Does a yeti even need foot protection?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Doubtful, but the power ranger look wouldn't be complete without boots

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is there a pair of reusable ear plugs that is the CA standard recommendation? For shooting I have a huge box of 3M foam plugs (and I know the proper insertion method), but I'd like to get a reusable pair. I don't mind paying for a custom pair if that's better, I already have tinnitus so cost isn't a huge issue if the quality is that much higher.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Is there a pair of reusable ear plugs that is the CA standard recommendation? For shooting I have a huge box of 3M foam plugs (and I know the proper insertion method), but I'd like to get a reusable pair. I don't mind paying for a custom pair if that's better, I already have tinnitus so cost isn't a huge issue if the quality is that much higher.

Foam plugs are reusable, just wipe away the earwax when it accumulates. :P Could also get some 3M Peltor flange plugs.

I personally like to use high-isolation IEMs, like Shure SE215s.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

MomJeans420 posted:

I mostly re-use these guys. https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-sleep-foam-ear-plugs-t-shape/ID=prod6275805-product

I also have ~$200 fancy motorcycle specific plastic plugs I got custom fitted at a dr's office. http://www.earplugstore.com/westone-motorcycle-4rt.html

The latter are better if you ride an obscenely loud bike, like a sumo with a modded exhaust, but not necessary for, say, my brutale 800. I think cheap plugs are more than good enough.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I tried to go the reusable ear plugs route when I first started riding. Quickly found out it was more trouble than it's worth. Foam earplugs work great, are easy to replace, and you can just stuff a handful in a piece of your riding gear and never have to worry about if you have ear protection handy. I ordered a huge box of Hearos that have lasted an embarrassingly long time, especially if you factor in that I sleep with a pair in every night.

https://www.amazon.com/HEAROS-Xtreme-Canceling-Hearing-Protection/dp/B01JXYH042/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490192434&sr=8-2&keywords=hearos

But if money's no object, and you trust yourself to not lose them, pokie's second link looks pretty cool.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A handful in every riding jacket, pants pocket, and tankbag is the way to go. That way you can be a good samaritan and hand out pairs when other people lose theirs or need some.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

A handful in every riding jacket, pants pocket, and tankbag is the way to go. That way you can be a good samaritan and hand out pairs when other people lose theirs or need some.

http://www.theonion.com/article/pool-owner-has-bathing-suit-that-touched-his-penis-33222

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Our MSF instructor recommended the ones linked below, but I'm just using cheap foam plugs from Wal-Mart.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NS283CE/ref=pd_aw_sim_121_1?ie=UTF8

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The main issue with the disposable foam ones is I do a lot of rides that are 10 miles or less on the freeway, so I don't bother with the disposable because I'm lazy to sit there and roll them up (which takes all of 10 secs). I was thinking reusable ones I could pop in would make it more likely I'd wear them all the time, although I might just lose them. I'm on the stock exhaust but it's not like my bike is quiet, especially over 8k rpm, but the wind noise is my main concern.

I was wrong about my foam plugs, I'm using howard leight max ones. Those Hearos look like they may be easier to insert, I may try a box of those. I think I'll pick up Pokie's pair, but have a dr make the impression rather than DIY at home. The instructions sounded a bit sketchy.

mentalcontempt posted:

Our MSF instructor recommended the ones linked below, but I'm just using cheap foam plugs from Wal-Mart.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NS283CE/ref=pd_aw_sim_121_1?ie=UTF8

I saw those and was wondering about them. A fair amount cheaper than Pokie's, but if they end up hurting or being uncomfortable you're out for the cost of a huge box of disposable plugs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

It loving rules. One of my favorite riding memories was following 2 CHP Bike Cops through 30+ miles of traffic on 210 in LA. Those cats can move. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5-bD372v5s

If you didn't have that running through your head the entire way your life has been wasted.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

MomJeans420 posted:

I was wrong about my foam plugs, I'm using howard leight max ones. Those Hearos look like they may be easier to insert, I may try a box of those. I think I'll pick up Pokie's pair, but have a dr make the impression rather than DIY at home. The instructions sounded a bit sketchy.

Yeah, I went to an ear Dr. and they made a mold for me. Then these arrived in 2 weeks. They offer 1 free remake in 1 month. Total cost was over $200, unlike the link. They are fast to insert than foam ones, but not by much since they are super tight plastic and thus kinda painful to put in. Definitely less comfortable than foam. I only use them for sumo rides.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

MomJeans420 posted:

I tried a pair of Etymotic reusables and they did not work for me. They isolated as advertised (pretty neutral sound reduction) but they hurt like a motherfucker. That rigid plastic frame did not jive with the shape of my ear. They might work great for you, though I think the plastic tabs stick out a little far for under-helmet use.

I use these EarPeace reusables now and like them quite a bit. The difference between the two inserts isn't that noticeable, and they don't isolate a ton of noise (as expected). They're borderline-not-enough at some concerts, but perfect for cutting wind noise - though all my riding is below 65mph. But they're super soft and super low profile with just a little silicon tab sticking out to grab, so they clear a helmet really easily.

When I really want isolation I go with Howard Leight MaxLites which are my favorite. Easy to roll and insert, intense isolation, and soft enough that they don't put a ton of outward pressure on my ear canals (unlike the Hearos I've tried, which were too big/too firm).

Basically the EarPeaces live in my riding jacket pocket and I have a pair of MaxLites stashed all over, just in case.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I tried a pair of Etymotic reusables and they did not work for me. They isolated as advertised (pretty neutral sound reduction) but they hurt like a motherfucker. That rigid plastic frame did not jive with the shape of my ear. They might work great for you, though I think the plastic tabs stick out a little far for under-helmet use.

I second the etymotics. They don't bother me, but if you've got small ear canals you can use the kids sizes, which is what z3n does, I believe.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5-bD372v5s

If you didn't have that running through your head the entire way your life has been wasted.

The new CHiPs movie looks fantastic. I'll watch anything with Michael Peña. :allears: also I totally want the blue Dainese gear they have on.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I second the etymotics. They don't bother me, but if you've got small ear canals you can use the kids sizes, which is what z3n does, I believe.

The new CHiPs movie looks fantastic. I'll watch anything with Michael Peña. :allears: also I totally want the blue Dainese gear they have on.

I know it's not the place, but I really miss proper theme songs and opening titles in TV shows.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

I just nick free foam plugs from workshops I do contract work in weekly. Though that said I forget them a lot because my bike just isn't loud enough and I'm rarely at highway speeds because I mainly run twisty roads on weekends.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know it's not the place, but I really miss proper theme songs and opening titles in TV shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fPgIIB67bw

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

AncientTV posted:

Hey Inu, I've got a friend that is getting into riding and he needs some gear advice. He wears either a 15 wide or 16 in most shoe brands, and I'm having trouble finding some full length riding boots that have good ankle roll protection. Any suggestions?

He's doomed. I'm in the same boat (I'm a size 18). I'm currently using high ankle work boots and hoping for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I got a visor with a transition tint last weekend, and today marks the third day I thought, "better hurry, looks like it's about to rain," after a bright day suddenly got darker. I might be too dumb to ride.