Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Alright, this one I remember being my favorite Ninja Storm episode.

Lothor engaging in fisticuffs is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I never knew that Ninja Storm was this weird. Cyber Cam, the whole beach episode, the raddest guitar weapon summons a mammoth, Lothor and the Rangers regularly burn everyone with the dumbest puns. I still love the Thunder Rangers being late-90s frat bros. It's so great and this show is amazing. :allears:

I get that Disney was unpopular for their treatment of the franchise, but man, this poo poo is bonkers and I wish they somehow kept the rights. Assuming their other adaptations stay this good, that is.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 22, 2017

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I never knew that Ninja Storm was this weird. Cyber Cam, the whole beach episode, the raddest guitar weapon summons a mammoth, Lothor and the Rangers regularly burn everyone with the dumbest puns. I still love the Thunder Rangers being late-90s frat bros. It's so great and this show is amazing. :allears:

Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder, and SPD are all pretty good. After SPD though, Disney spends basically every season slowly trying to kill the franchise.

They started off REALLY strong though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mystic Force and Operation Overdrive are the worst seasons, period. Like, skip the next couple of days as a break after SPD until Jungle Fury picks back up.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I remain the one person who will stan for Mystic Force.

quote:

Mystic Force and Operation Overdrive are the worst seasons, period.

No, that's pretty clearly Samurai and Megaforce.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

No, that's pretty clearly Samurai and Megaforce.

OO is pretty garbage too. It might have the most unlikable group of Rangers ever.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eddie Whitson posted:

OO is pretty garbage too. It might have the most unlikable group of Rangers ever.

I'd still call Samurai and MF worse because, at the very least, I got the sense that the actors in Overdrive were at least trying, whereas the other two had a cast who were continually dead eying the cameras and being told not to put too much into their performances because this was a kids' show.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Eddie Whitson posted:

Yeah but those zords....

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mystic Force is fine whenever it's not 100% focused on Nick. Nick is a goddamn anchor on that series.

The theme song is possibly the worst in the entire franchise, too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can laugh at how loving awful samurai and megaforce are.

Mystic and OO are that boring kind of nothing happens where no one cares but it's still structurally competent.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tae posted:

Mystic Force and Operation Overdrive are the worst seasons, period. Like, skip the next couple of days as a break after SPD until Jungle Fury picks back up.

It really is a drat shame because Magiranger and Boukenger are two of the best Sentai series visually(Ultimate Daibouken is probably my favorite robot in the franchise and I still want to get the Black version of it cause while almost any Sentai mech looks great in black and golf, it works especially well there)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Tae posted:

I can laugh at how loving awful samurai and megaforce are.

I'm jealous because I can't muster anything but apathy looking at them, and frustration that everything is approached with the absolute zero amount of effort possible. It's all so aggressively mediocre in how it avoids being terrible enough to at least be able to make jokes about it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SUper Megaforce did what I thought was impossible and gently caress up using Gokaiger footage.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wild Force, Operation Overdrive, Mystic Force, Samurai and Megaforce are the five-fecta of what not to do in PR. Odd how 3 or 4 of them are stilted and strict adaptations of the sentai.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I remain the one person who will stan for Mystic Force.

Nah.

Mystic Force is fine. Kinda drops the ball at the end but you can say the same about the Sentai.

It's not the best ever but it's fun and I enjoyed watching it week to week. Dark Wish was great.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

But like, it's also important to note, that Disney didn't start out not giving a poo poo about PR. NS, DT, SPD, and MF were given lots of attention; Jetix was structured AROUND Power Rangers. Burkion mentioned "Dark Wish" - I remember how they promoted it as basically a TV movie. It was only after Operation Overdrive that they started marginalizing the franchise.

Somewhere along the line they just stopped getting a return on their investment.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cernunnos posted:

The plastic abs on this Battlizer are still killing me.

Bandai US's fault, iirc. This show did not have many silly upgrades since the general gist in Japan was that the bad guys always had the upper hand and is at the brink of world domination until collusion amongst their ranks and employing Char Aznable slowly ruined them.

Of course the one general, being a Char, wins a fight against what is unofficially an Ultrazord. Disney never liked the Ultrazord term for some reason, but Wind/Thunder/Samurai Megazord riding the mammoth effectively is one.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 22, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Someone clipped the no-audio episode.

Not all heroes wear capes.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Funky Valentine posted:

The stock fight music sounds like Primus B-sides.
There's some overlap between the effects they use here and the ones they use in Deadly Premonition so every time I hear them I imagine York's offscreen somewhere doing silly things.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
drat, there's no way to watch the past broadcasts huh? It's just not the same without chat. :smith:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I love how the downfall of the bad guys in Ninja Storm strongly resembles the sentai (although some generals had died long ago), with Lothor seeming as foolishly ignorant as the Japanese boss was.
But then at the last second Lothor turns out to be way more intelligent than his Japanese counterpart and gets Vexacus killed for his cause instead of the other way around.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

asymmetrical posted:

drat, there's no way to watch the past broadcasts huh? It's just not the same without chat. :smith:
Same. I'd love to research Green with Evil and Forever Red just to read the chat responses. :(

Best thing I'll take away from this is muttering BLBLBLBLBLBLBL when I see putties.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also good on Lothor for being one of the few human villains to just stay evil all the way through.

Always real neat when that happens

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's a light. In the distance. See them coming closer.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
TOMMY'S BACK PogChamp!!!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Chat is already excited just from seeing Tommy in the opening credits!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's a light. In the distance. See them coming closer.

With or without the force of ages? This is important.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

With or without the force of ages? This is important.

Yes, but unfortunately you have to wait for centuries gone by.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tommy hype is carrying chat atm.

Guess the trash mobs this time are defined by GRGEGEGRGRGRGR.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Conner is still my favorite red of all time. I don't care what anyone says.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yes, but unfortunately you have to wait for centuries gone by.

This is intolerable.

Fake edit: this yellow ranger is my newest TV crush.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
God I hope someone clipped that poo poo.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So why did Disney want to kill the show? Was it succeeding and they were embarrassed by it?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Mesagog is pretty cool-looking. Definitely a better face for the villains than the Abaranger guys.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Star Man posted:

So why did Disney want to kill the show? Was it succeeding and they were embarrassed by it?

It was costly to produce and not doing as well as they hoped.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Star Man posted:

Pretty sure they took PR as part of the deal to grab the Fox Family channel.

And, as others mentioned, they probably chafed at having to devote so much production time to something they didn't have complete control over.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I have a big critique of whatever season this is with the dinosaurs so far: tommy is somehow corny as gently caress, and the bad guys aren't discussing their plan during the episode at all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, Conner's moments of jerkishness and being selfish sell the promise of "teenagers with attitude" far better than MMPR ever did.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What's the deal with the meme about "guess I better use grow / grow is useless but I haven't used it for a while" in chat?

Is it that nobody does the NOW GROW speech as well as Rita/Zedd/Astronema?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Dino Thunder kids are about as believable as the show ever got w/r/t Teenagers with Attitude, they're pretty great.