Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Haha holy poo poo. On the opposite end of the spectrum from AE2 and Refined Storage is.. Impractical Storage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMSpox7JuOs

Looks like that'll be useful for filling empty spaces more than actually storing things. Though it'd be amusing for that to be the only storage solution in a pack, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
I think the only thing which would have made me laugh harder, is if the mod simply defined the area within the boundaries as a space where entities are exempt from the despawn timer, and then just spit them all out into an unsortable laggy heap on the floor.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

EricFate posted:

I think the only thing which would have made me laugh harder, is if the mod simply defined the area within the boundaries as a space where entities are exempt from the despawn timer, and then just spit them all out into an unsortable laggy heap on the floor.

That would be hilarious yeah.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Probably makes for pretty cool visual guide to like "ore processing queues". Make an area for each ore you're working on, store it there as step one in the process, loading it out into the machines from there as it works. When it's empty, ore's done! Maybe have an output area too showing off your stocks!

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has anybody had any trouble recently getting Dropbox links working on Technic? It isn't recognizing the URLs like they used to.

You can check yourself if you want:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vegt2950mc6ys4o/babys-first-space-race-1.7.10.5.zip?dl=1

I can't update BFSR. :(

Dropbox is phasing out the public folder and possibly messing with how links work? The problems may be because of that. I've moved to using my own server space for technic/solder so I don't really know of any good alternatives or workarounds.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

McFrugal posted:

Looks like that'll be useful for filling empty spaces more than actually storing things. Though it'd be amusing for that to be the only storage solution in a pack, haha.

Yeah, I was thinking it'd be a decent way to auto-create floors or ceilings or possibly backfill small mining areas. If the output reads every block within its area, it could even be useful as a quarry. Then you just throw the stone and dirt back in.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

AceClown posted:

If anyone is still playing PO2 then I did a thing:

http://pastebin.com/wbBQLbGL

Replace your chancecubes.cfg files with this, what is does is take out all the bullshit, every bit and make it so the only thing the giant cubes can do is make a BioDome.
The small chance cubes? yeah they just transform in to a big one.
The Isohedrons? they just flat out don't do anything cos I couldn't figure out how to make those spawn a bio dome.

Turns a loving useless mod into a skyblockers dream!

You know, that is amazing. Only problem is the one that gives you 400 ticks before nuking the area is somehow still in?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

xanthan posted:

You know, that is amazing. Only problem is the one that gives you 400 ticks before nuking the area is somehow still in?

Clowned again by AceClown.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
I'd be happy with just replacing all Chance boxes with Loot Boxes (not bags). Even if I get a bucket of soap, it's better than some 600x400 block effigy of some dudes lips cutting through my tree farm. Or a massive crater where the lol wait for it! lol TNT waits five minutes, then blows all my lava generator setup to kingdom come.

Why do minecraft modders insist on poo poo that is least fun possible?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Because they crave attention and making a mod with mechanics as simple as break block - > bad thing happen pulls in views on the screaming minecraft youtubes.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Seriously, I've seen what the cubes can do when made to be fun. Why does turning off everything but the biodome still leave the possibility of your base blowing to? Is it hard coded in? I'd kill to have explanations for what each thing on the config is so I could turn off the bad parts and have them just be random rewards or at worst slightly funny.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

McFrugal posted:

I like the idea of combining a bunch of those with storage busses and building a warehouse. I want to be able to see exactly how much iron I have by walking out into the storage barn [sub]and discovering it empty because some rear end in a top hatfriendrear end in a top hat decided to make six hundred lightning rods.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I think I'm about set with my one-per-category pack; I added a bunch of QoL mods to Nifty's base QoL pack and worked from there. I don't think there'd be any conflicts, but I haven't gone through every single mod yet. I just wanted to see if anyone saw any major gaps in what I should have or maybe a suggestion or two.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Evil Mastermind posted:

So I think I'm about set with my one-per-category pack; I added a bunch of QoL mods to Nifty's base QoL pack and worked from there. I don't think there'd be any conflicts, but I haven't gone through every single mod yet. I just wanted to see if anyone saw any major gaps in what I should have or maybe a suggestion or two.
CompatLayer's a hard requirement for Mcjty's mods (RFTools etc), it's not going to let other 1.11 mods run (because they have to explicitly use it and other modders aren't bothering)

Add Optifine and throw out Dynamic Lighting, it has the feature builtin, helps performance significantly and rarely has the issues of the past. You also want Foamfix to help with memory issues.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Threep posted:

CompatLayer's a hard requirement for Mcjty's mods (RFTools etc), it's not going to let other 1.11 mods run (because they have to explicitly use it and other modders aren't bothering)
Really? Because it's letting Durability Show work for me, and that's the 1.11 version.

quote:

Add Optifine and throw out Dynamic Lighting, it has the feature builtin, helps performance significantly and rarely has the issues of the past. You also want Foamfix to help with memory issues.
Oh, that's good to know. Dynamic Lighting has this weird thing where the light moving makes it look like I'm getting a bad framerate drop or something. I'm assuming Optifine and Foamfix are just "drop the jar in the mods folder" things?

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Threep posted:

It's not a bad idea in theory, but it saddles both the 1.10 and 1.11 versions with a lot of extra calls through that API. I'd honestly rather maintain two versions.

Once TD is out, we'll probably march onto 1.11.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

xanthan posted:

Seriously, I've seen what the cubes can do when made to be fun. Why does turning off everything but the biodome still leave the possibility of your base blowing to? Is it hard coded in? I'd kill to have explanations for what each thing on the config is so I could turn off the bad parts and have them just be random rewards or at worst slightly funny.

It doesn't. That was added by the PO2 author and either AceClown is being a dick or he missed something in/doesn't know how to use the config.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
My god aqua creepers are terrifying

Conversely, Nitro Squids are hilarious. They have a funny habit of beaching themselves when I'm multiple chunks away. Is that intentional behavior? O_o

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 22, 2017

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Black Pants posted:

It doesn't. That was added by the PO2 author and either AceClown is being a dick or he missed something in/doesn't know how to use the config.

My understanding from the yogscast reddit posts about PO2 is that the really bad poo poo is in a separate who.json file somewhere.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dalaram posted:

I'd be happy with just replacing all Chance boxes with Loot Boxes (not bags). Even if I get a bucket of soap, it's better than some 600x400 block effigy of some dudes lips cutting through my tree farm. Or a massive crater where the lol wait for it! lol TNT waits five minutes, then blows all my lava generator setup to kingdom come.

Why do minecraft modders insist on poo poo that is least fun possible?

I was planning to change all of the chance cube into Loot Boxes, and the "select one of three" lootbox rewards I will replace with rewards that give you a lot of resources or let you sequence break a bit. The point being, you will actually have to make a choice. I was also hoping to add a bunch of stuff to the loot boxes, to make them more interesting.

chrisf posted:

My understanding from the yogscast reddit posts about PO2 is that the really bad poo poo is in a separate who.json file somewhere.
You can find all of PO2s goodies in this directory, there are a bunch of sub directories that contain all of the Kappa Mode and Titan mode and whatever:
\minecraft\modpack\common\scripts

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 22, 2017

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

xanthan posted:

It really shouldn't

# [default: true]
B:who=false

is in there, and I did a full "find/replace" for true=false then just changed 2 entries to true (the biodome one and small to big one)

Edit: Really not trying to troll anyone, I'm not even close to that creative with pranks

Edit2: I've been testing it and have placed like 50 domes and the only time it does anything iffy is when you try to build multiple at once but that's just a regular crash, never had a "Who dis?" cube in all the testing.

AceClown fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 22, 2017

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

KingLemming posted:

It's not a bad idea in theory, but it saddles both the 1.10 and 1.11 versions with a lot of extra calls through that API. I'd honestly rather maintain two versions.

Once TD is out, we'll probably march onto 1.11.

When's it coming out

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
How do I create a server and install All the Mods on it? I tried opening a lan world on a wireless router not connected to the internet and it worked the first time we played but ever since it's given an authentication error and we can't connect, so I figured I'd create a server and toss the modpack on it but I'm a bit lost.

I have the server up and running I just can't figure out how to use the server files I downloaded here https://mods.curse.com/modpacks/minecraft/242462-all-the-mods#t1:other-downloads to install the modpack.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

How do I create a server and install All the Mods on it? I tried opening a lan world on a wireless router not connected to the internet and it worked the first time we played but ever since it's given an authentication error and we can't connect, so I figured I'd create a server and toss the modpack on it but I'm a bit lost.

I have the server up and running I just can't figure out how to use the server files I downloaded here https://mods.curse.com/modpacks/minecraft/242462-all-the-mods#t1:other-downloads to install the modpack.
You download the server files and then you can run either the .sh (linux, probably mac) or .bat (windows) file from console to run the server. If it's crashing on startup you need to the eula=false thing to eula=true in eula.txt.

The modpack is in those files already.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I had to give up on Grimdark. Turned off Mipmaps, bottomed out every "graphics" setting Minecraft has, now running my PC on 16GB of RAM with 6-7GB allocated in the launcher, and still running into serious performance issues that I don't have with any other pack. Keep running into issues where I can't even swing at monsters (read: not game frozen, but visible swing animation and nothing happens, like a lag spike in an online game) because the game won't finish loading the chunks around me even with the draw distance turned way down. Surprisingly, my FPS with the pack stays pretty respectable! The game just can't load chunks to save its life.

Currently messing around with ArdentCraft: The Beginning, which seems to have a similar theme with regard to combat and worldgen, but a bit less exhaustive a modlist. It's clearly unfinished, but perfectly playable as long as you're not too stuck on the quest list. I love this pack's ridiculously extensive cavern systems a lot.

I miss Grimdark's dungeon mods, though. :|

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 23, 2017

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Khorne posted:

You download the server files and then you can run either the .sh (linux, probably mac) or .bat (windows) file from console to run the server. If it's crashing on startup you need to the eula=false thing to eula=true in eula.txt.

The modpack is in those files already.

I must be missing a step, server boots up, connect to it, first modded item I create (wooden shears) crashes the game (not the server) with this error java.lang.NullPointerException: Rendering screen

Tried a fresh server and fresh client side install of the mod, still crashing when I just hover over a modded item. Not sure how to proceed.

Bonus Question: What's up with lan connections in minecraft? If I open the game up in my home router (no internet) it gives an authentication error, if we use the internet it just refuses the connection. I've been fiddling with it all day but haven't been able to get anything to work, despite easily opening to lan on the router when we initially started playing.

Bright Future fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 23, 2017

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Meanwhile I'm getting horrendous lag wherever I set up my Ars Magica 2 inscription table. Which is solvable by picking it back up when I'm done using it, but I like having a workshop, not a workshop-in-a-box. And it sort of bodes ill for when I finally get some dust and make the spell altar.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

AceClown posted:

It really shouldn't

# [default: true]
B:who=false

is in there, and I did a full "find/replace" for true=false then just changed 2 entries to true (the biodome one and small to big one)

Edit: Really not trying to troll anyone, I'm not even close to that creative with pranks

Edit2: I've been testing it and have placed like 50 domes and the only time it does anything iffy is when you try to build multiple at once but that's just a regular crash, never had a "Who dis?" cube in all the testing.

Vortex, Velocity, Ha, that seems to be all of them besides giant cubes and biodome that were enabled? Will test a few when I get home tonight to see if it was any of those, probably vortex based on the name?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Someone had posted a quality of life modpack? I lost the link could someone post it again? Thanks!!!!!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lorini posted:

Someone had posted a quality of life modpack? I lost the link could someone post it again? Thanks!!!!!

This one?

NiftyBottle posted:

Well if anyone else is interested, here's a QOL only pack for 1.10.:shrug:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
YES! Thanks!

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Got it working! I wasn't using the correct server files due to personal idiocy.

If I want to disable spice of life do I just delete the mod out of the mod folder?

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Toadsmash posted:

I had to give up on Grimdark.

I can worldgen ok locally, server worldgens even better (by which I mean barely manages), but a lot of world is already generated, at least out to ~4k

It's the mods that add dungeons causing most of the strain, this is why roguelikes only appear in the nether and end. I'm looking for something that does pre-generation out to a specified radius, that would be perfect

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I ran into a wrinkle with MineColonies where my lumberjack began chopping down the logs I used as structural and decorative elements on my house. Not a huge deal, I replaced them with brick and granite and the place looks better, just surprising to discover.

e: Also you absolutely need some form of watering can or other bonemeal substitute because they demand SO MUCH oak.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 25, 2017

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Is there anything like the Drawbridges from 1.7.10 TiCon in 1.10.2 at all? I need to make some nice big retracting doors but pistons won't cut it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Tried Malsis Doors at all? They have garage doors that perform similarly.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Tried Malsis Doors at all? They have garage doors that perform similarly.
Can you change how the garage door looks? Also does it work horizontally?

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I haven't seen anything like drawbridges on 1.10. I always wondered if they copied those from Keepcraft because that was the first place I saw them

how do you feel about these doors

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

frenzy posted:

I haven't seen anything like drawbridges on 1.10. I always wondered if they copied those from Keepcraft because that was the first place I saw them

how do you feel about these doors
Nice doors, I have Malisis Doors on the server already, I was just looking for something big, chunky and industrial to use as a launch bay door.

EDIT: I'm honestly surprised something like the drawbridges or even something like Pistronics 2 hasn't been done in 1.10.2 yet.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

You can make a retracting bridge using vanilla redstone and a lot of slime blocks. Hope you like pistons!