Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Okay game, I'm sure the goofy robot that does nothing but spout existential philosophy lectures when you talk to him isn't hinting at anything. Sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Uh... How bad is it if I killed a machine in the machine village? The permanent recluse? Yeah, after he set his goal of making a lock that no one could break, I thought "maybe if I hack him, I can fix him!" Yeah... He exploded. Hmm.

Edit: in route B.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 22, 2017

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just played the demo, which was a fairly linear action level. Is the main game mostly in that vein or is it more open worldish?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Snak posted:

Oh, yeah I don't have any +movespeed on right now.

I had +20% (max) movespeed when I was attempting speedstar and I said gently caress that. I really do not care for the "platforming" in this game.

Another pro tip, charge up a pod attack as the race begins. It seems to slow down everything a tad, which bought me enough time to recover from a faceplant at the start and still win

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
C doesn't gently caress around, huh.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
3 replies, and no one responded to my urgent crisis?!

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Just played the demo, which was a fairly linear action level. Is the main game mostly in that vein or is it more open worldish?

More open worldy with Standard action levely bits in between, along with some classic SHMUP and twin stick shooter bits.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Snak posted:

It's a side quest and if he doesn't respawn, which he probably will, you can get another go at it later.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

The game's narrative is failure proof. If you gently caress something up to the point of breaking the storyline in half, the game will stop and give you a humorous "ending" before returning you back to the game proper.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I guess that's fair. I more meant "did I make any enemies by being a loving murderer?"

Edit: I've never hurt a friendly machine before :( ever :(.

Well, cargo carriers in the desert have red eyes, but no attacks. I killed a few of them.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 22, 2017

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

warhammer651 posted:

More open worldy with Standard action levely bits in between, along with some classic SHMUP and twin stick shooter bits.

Ok cool. Poor as gently caress so gonna just gamefly both this and horizon zero dawn next week, maybe keep 1 of the two if some seems more likely than the other to still be playing after a month.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snak posted:

I guess that's fair. I more meant "did I make any enemies by being a loving murderer?"

Well, cargo carriers in the desert have red eyes, but no attacks. I killed a few of them.

As someone who later went and slaughtered the entire village for... reasons, they respawn when you leave and come back.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Snak posted:

No, they're pretty accepting even if you're a machine murderer.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The best part was, immediately after blowing the kid up, the mom thanked me for helping him. Pretty sure I did.

I related to that kid more than any other character so far

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm no stranger to character action games, and I found Normal to be a pretty decent challenge. The only time I've felt I was overwhelmingly demolishing the enemies is when I've gone back to earlier chapters.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
By the end of Route A, normal felt pretty​ easy, and still on nirmal for Route B, it's really easy. But I'm kind if more in it for the story right now, so...

Edit, I think I had 27 deaths on my first run, and most of those were Opera Boss and A2.

I think I beat the final boss on my first attempt.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 22, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The impression I'm getting is that the difficulty of Normal will depend a lot on how deep into the chip system you dive

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

The impression I'm getting is that the difficulty of Normal will depend a lot on how deep into the chip system you dive

I believe it. I had +damage, offensive heal, and autoheal, meaning I almost never had to use healing items even if I made mistakes.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrypticRelievedFalconDoggo

Late path C spoilers. I feel like the tone of that cutscene was changed a bit...

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I think I died 4 times during route A (and two of those were to the conveyor belt presses at the factory) but then never again for the rest of the game. I really wanna see how hard feels in comparison

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Artless Meat posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrypticRelievedFalconDoggo

Late path C spoilers. I feel like the tone of that cutscene was changed a bit...

loving glorious

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I have to do that one part in route C for the third time because now I need upgrade materials for max level weapons :smith:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Nina posted:

I think I died 4 times during route A (and two of those were to the conveyor belt presses at the factory) but then never again for the rest of the game. I really wanna see how hard feels in comparison

A lot more pausing to heal.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think I paused to heal once on Normal.

The shmup parts really needed to modify the effectiveness of your chips. Offensive heal and deadly heal make you completely invincible during them.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Another good chip is the one that just slows down time whenever a bullet gets close to you.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Where do you farm overtime chips? The only one I own was bought from Emil.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Just finished path D. Spoilers for early/midway in the chapter:

When dealing with Pascal's final request, it seems like a lot of people aren't aware that you have the option of just walking away, which is what I did. Made for a poignant screenshot for the PS4 trophy.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 22, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So when I finish C is that the majority of the game and D + E are just alternate endings or is there more horror to go?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

FunkMonkey posted:

Just finished path D. Spoilers for early/midway in the chapter:

When dealing with Pascal's final request, it seems like a lot of people aren't aware that you have the option of just walking away, which is what I did. Made for a poignant screenshot for the PS4 trophy.

he commits suicide later. If you erase his memory he sells unique items in his shop too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

So when I finish C is that the majority of the game and D + E are just alternate endings or is there more horror to go?

The former.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Alder posted:

he commits suicide later. If you erase his memory he sells unique items in his shop too.

Also machine parts (arms and legs and such), if you want to skip some grinding.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Alder posted:

I didn't know that first thing, he just vanished afterward for me. Do you find him in that canyon later? That's heavy, really thought I was doing the best thing for the poor guy.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 22, 2017

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I switched to Hard around level 25 and it's been fine. The only time I've died is to the last segment of the final path A boss, but I would rather die a couple times to the bosses than just steamroll through.

The auto heal, deadly heal, and offensive heal chips are your friends. And I haven't played around with the pod plugins much at all, but the bomb one is crazy good.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Papercut posted:

The auto heal, deadly heal, and offensive heal chips are your friends. And I haven't played around with the pod plugins much at all, but the bomb one is crazy good.

Deadly heal +3 or better is basically "I win, gently caress you" for anything outside bosses. It's absurd, you need absolutely nothing else defense-wise in my opinion.

As far as pod programs go, I'm gonna be honest: I pretty much just stuck with laser throughout the near-entirety of my playtime. It was there to swat ranged units out of the sky or triple-charge for a little extra oomph on top of my melee.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 22, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have melee attack +6, offensive heal +6 and deadly heal +6 on right now, I'm an unstoppable whirlwind.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FunkMonkey posted:

Deadly heal +3 or better is basically "I win, gently caress you" for anything outside bosses. It's absurd, you need absolutely nothing else defense-wise in my opinion.

As far as pod programs go, I'm gonna be honest: I pretty much just stuck with laser throughout the near-entirety of my playtime. It was there to swat ranged units out of the sky or triple-charge for a little extra oomph on top of my melee.

Laser is the loving poo poo. Though a triple charge of bomb(grenade?) also completely destroys the target.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are pod upgrade items really rare or am I just missing obvious locations? After about 40 hours I've found enough to upgrade one to level 2.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Sakurazuka posted:

Are pod upgrade items really rare or am I just missing obvious locations? After about 40 hours I've found enough to upgrade one to level 2.

I beat the game without ever upgrading them, so yeah, they do seem pretty rare.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The first few upgrades dont even seem to increase the stats by that much which is kinda nice actually. I don't feel like I miss out by not upgrading the pods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Abhorrence posted:

I beat the game without ever upgrading them, so yeah, they do seem pretty rare.

I've only gotten the upgrade items from quest rewards and I still haven't found a single purified water, and they do enough damage as-is that there doesn't seem to be any reason to like go out of your way to upgrade them. Mine are all still level one with A and B doing 25 damage per hit, and the bomb skill just kills anything but bosses and other ridiculously strong enemies so I'm not worried.