Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I just wanted to play as a horsey and Blizzard is discriminating against me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Go play NL and do 6v6 horsey teams until next week

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

khy posted:

Go play NL and do 6v6 horsey teams until next week

Absolutely not. Other people do not understand what it means to be a horsey.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 22, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Please don't quote Duck and Cover. Ty.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Phara absolutely shits all over Orisa

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

I thought you were 24/7 Torb all the time

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I haven't liked playing Orisa much, her abilities feel quite fiddly. Her playstyle also feels quite defensive and boring, since her shield is good at defending a specific area.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I thought you were 24/7 Torb all the time

I play what I feel like, which is often times Torb.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Absolutely not. Other people do not understand what it means to be a horsey.

Well then it is your duty as a horse-lover to educate and spread the joy and true meaning of being a horsey.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

i finally played a game as Orisa and someone should tell Efi robots aren't supposed to be made of glass

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Pro Tip: Her shift ability effectively doubles her hp if you have a good chunk of armor left. It's pretty loving useless without your armor.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

Phara absolutely shits all over Orisa

her and half the cast

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
qp only is stupid & i don't get it

like 80% of comp is learning how to work well with your team, where to position yourself, how to counter and handle counters, and like none of that ever happens in 90% of qp games because qp is fun goof-around game-mode where nobody really cares or communicates and people just practice characters they don't usually play. which is fine! but the idea that we need to try her out for a week before she gets released to comp is weird to me because mechanically controlling the character is only a tiny part of actually playing the character, and everyone's going to have to learn how to play her from scratch on a comp team in a week anyway. why not just release her to qp and comp at the same time and the players who actually care about their rank will play her in a few games of qp anyway and move to comp when they're comfortable with her mechanics, and the bronzes will be bronze and would've been bronze anyway

please don't think i'm whining because i don't get to play my new robot cow wife in comp. i'm not. i just think putting her in qp for a week under the pretense of "practice" is kinda pointless

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

phthalocyanine posted:

i finally played a game as Orisa and someone should tell Efi robots aren't supposed to be made of glass

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
thesis: like yeah, people will suck with her in comp for a while and no amount of qp practice is going to change that, because qp is a completely different thing from comp

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Did the patch break the music for anyone else (on PS4)?

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

quadrophrenic posted:

thesis: like yeah, people will suck with her in comp for a while and no amount of qp practice is going to change that, because qp is a completely different thing from comp

Well at least the first comp slampicks won't ask things like 'what does my ult do?'. She's in the arcade and so I assume the custom servers as well. I'm sure really serious comp people can arrange to practice there.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Guw posted:

Yah. Was odd having no music.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Unbelievably White posted:

Well at least the first comp slampicks won't ask things like 'what does my ult do?'. She's in the arcade and so I assume the custom servers as well. I'm sure really serious comp people can arrange to practice there.

what i'm saying is that the percentage of people who are so cavalier with their rank to slampick a character they don't actually know how to mechanically play is probably pretty LOW, and they're probably not very good at comp to begin with and would probably poo poo up your team in some other way anyway

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Seems like situations where bastion is pretty good, adding Orisa makes him even more annoying.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
don't get me wrong, i think the "sombra effect" of a character getting dragged out of the meta based on the reputation that people don't know how to play her is a real thing, but i think it's more just the natural consequence of introducing a new character to the game and letting people only try her out in the funtime mode for a week isn't necessarily a very good solution, in a broad sense

people hated ana, then she became a top tier pick

people hate sombra, but they're starting to come around

people will hate orisa, but they will eventually come around

it's a problem that only time and little tweaks here and there can fix

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 22, 2017

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

The funny thing about Sombra is that a good Sombra will never make highly visible plays but will help tip the scales in favor of their team in such a way that her own team will go "wow, we did it even with a Sombra gimping us, imagine if she'd picked a good DPS hero". A bad Sombra is not going to influence anything, of course.

The changes for Sombra now essentially make her even more slippery, but the hacked healthpacks through walls may actually visibly show the team that yes, Sombra is helping your team in some way, you idiots.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I've noticed I charge ult much faster after the healthpack change!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Macaluso posted:

Phara absolutely shits all over Orisa everybody and needs a good long hard nerfing.

Fixed

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 22, 2017

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Guw posted:

Yea

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Are you in Silver? Because yes, Pharah absolutely shits all over Bronze, Silver and someway into Gold and is viable into Platinum, but starting around low Diamond you'll quickly get knocked out of the sky.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

Are you in Silver? Because yes, Pharah absolutely shits all over Bronze, Silver and someway into Gold and is viable into Platinum, but starting around low Diamond you'll quickly get knocked out of the sky.
I want her to be able to chain melee -> conc blast. Your hand is already right there, Pharah, just fire the drat rocket!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

what i'm saying is that the percentage of people who are so cavalier with their rank to slampick a character they don't actually know how to mechanically play is probably pretty LOW, and they're probably not very good at comp to begin with and would probably poo poo up your team in some other way anyway

Hi I'm Duck and Cover and I'm a plat player. I often times play Torb on offense. I made it to diamond last season.

Guys Sombra now hear me out was/may still be poo poo. You can say all the words you want but it doesn't make up for the fact was/ may still be terrible at her role/her role doesn't exist.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 22, 2017

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Olive Branch posted:

The funny thing about Sombra is that a good Sombra will never make highly visible plays but will help tip the scales in favor of their team in such a way that her own team will go "wow, we did it even with a Sombra gimping us, imagine if she'd picked a good DPS hero". A bad Sombra is not going to influence anything, of course.

The changes for Sombra now essentially make her even more slippery, but the hacked healthpacks through walls may actually visibly show the team that yes, Sombra is helping your team in some way, you idiots.

The only people who will know if Sombra is actually being useful is the enemy team, and boy will they loving hate you. You're effectively a walking salt factory and can make people tilt off their rear end at their teammates if you hack someone during a key moment.

There is also something absolutely divine about hacking a Mercy, especially the ones who got their suck pump hooked up to Pharah's rear end and just watching them slowly sink unable to do anything as mow them down. Tracking her down while she's hiding waiting to ult is also equally satisfying because every single one, always has their healing staff out instead of the blaster so they can't stop you from hacking

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Olive Branch posted:

The funny thing about Sombra is that a good Sombra will never make highly visible plays

I don't agree with this. I mean for the most part I don't see good Sombras, but every once in a while a really crazy good Sombra will be on our team and she'll almost single handily be winning the match for us. And it won't be happening behind the scenes either, we'll see all the crazy poo poo she's doing right there and it's like magic.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Bolow posted:

The only people who will know if Sombra is actually being useful is the enemy team, and boy will they loving hate you. You're effectively a walking salt factory and can make people tilt off their rear end at their teammates if you hack someone during a key moment.

There is also something absolutely divine about hacking a Mercy, especially the ones who got their suck pump hooked up to Pharah's rear end and just watching them slowly sink unable to do anything as mow them down. Tracking her down while she's hiding waiting to ult is also equally satisfying because every single one, always has their healing staff out instead of the blaster so they can't stop you from hacking

And then anything above Silver the Mercy whips out her pistol and rails you because your primary weapon has lovely dps unless you're hugging face.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you still absolutely beat a mercy though, especially since mercy's shots have travel which makes them even worse with distance

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

And then anything above Silver the Mercy whips out her pistol and rails you because your primary weapon has lovely dps unless you're hugging face.

Eh, not really. At least around the mid-masters level. You can still mow through a 200hp hero in pretty short order and you generally have the advantage of being able to initiate at your leisure, and usually from an awkward angle off the main axis of approach. Her low DPS makes her mostly useless for KotH but she's more than capable of being effective on Payload/Hybrid/2cp maps

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sombra's gun is bad, but it's not worse than mercy's unless you're trying to fight her at mid range

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Sombra shouldn't lose to anybody squishier than 200 HP if you have the jump on them and your tracking is good (I freely admit to falling short in this area). When you're building ult as Sombra, though, you don't really care to get picks or to win fights, you just want to do as much damage as possible before you're forced to xlocate out and repeat til you can EMP to swing a teamfight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the only people squishier than 200 hp are pilot d.va and tracer. you can and will lose to tracer most of the time unless you hack her, and sometimes even if you do considering her dps is so much higher

of the full auto weapons, only orisa and the pistols that mercy and pilot d.va get are worse than sombra's gun for dps, so hacking someone isn't really a guaranteed kill. especially not if they have backup! that's the reason you don't care about getting picks or winning fights. it's not that you don't want to, because you do; it's just not usually gonna happen. sombra's still at a disadvantage in a shootout with most heroes after they've been hacked. you're supposed to use the split second it takes between hacking a guy and them turning to shoot you to level the playing field, but even then it usually ends up being a lot smarter to just warp back to your health pack rather than trying to win the fight

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Like I'm sure the numbers work out, but I find it hard to believe that mercy pistol, the best gun in the game, is worse than sombra's gun

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

IronicDongz posted:

*brushes dust off an evil skinbound tome* quad tank

I like this. :twisted:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm not going to play joke mode quickplay just to practice the easy poo poo tank hero they put into the game. People don't seem to realize there's very little learning curve on the vast majority of heroes. PTR exists I waited for this poo poo to be out of ptr now I get to wait even more because whiny dumb shits (who will no matter what) will complain? Lovely. Can't wait for "mains" to complain when I have 0 hours and pick her in competitive should be fun.
Source your quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

quadrophrenic posted:

Like I'm sure the numbers work out, but I find it hard to believe that mercy pistol, the best gun in the game, is worse than sombra's gun

That's because people think that the DPS number is everything. Then they forget Sombra's bullet spread and massive dropoff.

I mean sure, if you can get right next to a Mercy and hug her to death before whatever DPS she's next to attempts to murder you, then yeah enjoy the possible kill as long as you have Tracer-Like aiming skills.