Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

OSI bean dip posted:

Free:
KeePass and Dropbox

Paid:
1Password

How about Syncthing instead of Dropbox/OneDrive/Google Drive? I can't remember any vulnerability and their protocol seems pretty good from reading their documentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Furism posted:

How about Syncthing instead of Dropbox/OneDrive/Google Drive? I can't remember any vulnerability and their protocol seems pretty good from reading their documentation.

I presume you meant this?
https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing

I don't have an opinion. I only suggest Dropbox because it's the least complicated for what I am suggesting. If there is something else that fits the bill then go for it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Yes this is the project. I like it because it's open source, cross-plat, you own the private keys and if you have an always-on server it effectively works like Dropbox (as far as synchronization is concerned).

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Powered Descent posted:

Encryption works really well with Dropbox or other cloud storage, for exactly that reason. ecryptfs and encfs are pretty much made for this: set the Dropbox folder as the encrypted root, and mount the plaintext view wherever convenient. Then just work with your files normally via that plaintext view, and the encrypted backend gets updated transparently. Dropbox never sees anything that isn't scrambled to hell and back.

e: Granted, this isn't much use for a program like a password manager that's going to use Dropbox in its own way, not yours. This is just in general.
There's a discussion of encfs around page 38 of this thread, and it's got some issues.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

OSI bean dip posted:

It doesn't really matter in the end what your cloud storage option is provided you're securing the password database with a decent keyphrase and are using key files not stored in the cloud.

Real question, because I find this one tricky: how does one best secure key files? Master password is clear, but keyfiles seem to always bring their very own headache, since you ideally want to back them up etc. Any recommendation(s)?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Hollow Talk posted:

Real question, because I find this one tricky: how does one best secure key files? Master password is clear, but keyfiles seem to always bring their very own headache, since you ideally want to back them up etc. Any recommendation(s)?
Paper?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Furism posted:

Syncthing is good and I use it for this purpose myself

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
https://mobile.twitter.com/taviso/status/844312124541186048

Posted about 15 minutes ago. :lol:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have LogMeIn done nothing in terms of auditing code since the acquisition? It doesn't seem to be taking Tavis a ton of effort to highlight the clownlike qualities on display.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Also, restrict r/w on the keyfile to only Administrator and run KeePass elevated by setting the exe to run as administrator. Obviously, disable KeePass plugins and ensure UAC setting is maxed out.

This prevents the keyfile from being grabbed by malware, and prevents the small possibility of process injection.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
1password makes it hilariously difficult to import from lastpass.

https://support.1password.com/import-lastpass/

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

PBS posted:

Welcome to the hell that is getting your data from a cloud-based service.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

PBS posted:

quote:

Mac
1. Open and unlock 1Password.
2. From the File menu, choose Import.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to import your data from LastPass.

:confused:

The PC instructions do look a tad more complex.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

OSI bean dip posted:

Welcome to the hell that is getting your data from a cloud-based service.

LastPass wins on the import for sure.

Looking though the import to 1password now as well, total poo poo tier import. Might as well have done it by hand, going to have to anyway.

1/12 Stars

PBS fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 22, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

PBS posted:

This is basically a Chinese finger trap.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

PBS posted:

Looking though the import to 1password now as well, total poo poo tier import. Might as well have done it by hand, going to have to anyway.

1/12 Stars

LastPass -> Tools -> Import From -> LastPass

yes I know

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Cup Runneth Over posted:

LastPass -> Tools -> Import From -> LastPass

yes I know

Trashed 1password, it butchered the import completely. Tested out the form fill and it doesn't even work on some popular sites I tried. (With new, non-butchered items)

New subscription based model they're using is 3$ a month, 3x the cost of lastpass premium which isn't even necessary anymore.

Yeah, security is important so lastpass needs to go, but I don't see 1password as a viable replacement for it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

PBS posted:

Trashed 1password, it butchered the import completely. Tested out the form fill and it doesn't even work on some popular sites I tried. (With new, non-butchered items)

New subscription based model they're using is 3$ a month, 3x the cost of lastpass premium which isn't even necessary anymore.

Yeah, security is important so lastpass needs to go, but I don't see 1password as a viable replacement for it.

Use LastPass Pocket if you need to export it.

https://lastpass.com/misc_download2.php
https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=1206

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Export from the browser plugin is fine, it's even what 1password tells you to do. 1password seems to just be incapable of importing correctly.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PBS posted:

Pretty much this. It was garbage usability-wise last year when I tried it out. I'd be ecstatic if there was a competent password manager that wasn't itself insecure which was also as reasonable to use as lastpass is.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Where's that dumpster fire image?

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/540310

quote:

2017-03-21 reply from vendor:
"The product team has finished their investigation and
determined this will be serviced in a future version
of Windows. AppLocker bypasses are not serviced via
monthly security roll-ups; only major version updates."

2017-03-21 reply from vendor:
"If you want this fixed immediately and are an
enterprise customer you'll need to work with your
Account Manager to open a support case."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

This industry rules

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

PBS posted:

i have no idea why the windows instructions are that complex - 1password has import csv options that allows you to tell it which field means what

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is there anyway to get a 2FA/FIDO plugin for Keypass? I couldn't find anything on their plugins page. I think I'm going to stick to Keepass (w/ SyncThing) but I'd like to have 2FA just in case.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Furism posted:

Is there anyway to get a 2FA/FIDO plugin for Keypass? I couldn't find anything on their plugins page. I think I'm going to stick to Keepass (w/ SyncThing) but I'd like to have 2FA just in case.

What is 2FA protecting you from?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Jabor posted:

What is 2FA protecting you from?

It's something "I have" and is an extra layer of security from something "I know." My password doesn't have such a huge entropy (120 bits or so) because I need to type it regularly so it needs to be somewhat memorable. If I'm losing a device with the keepass database on it, and somehow it's found unlocked (I could get mugged, the laptop could be stolen while I'm working on it, who knows ; I do travel a lot for work so the chances of this happening are higher than the average), I don't want anyone to be able to brute force it. I feel that 2FA helps with this.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
How would a 2FA device protect you better than a keyfile if an adversary has your password database?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Furism posted:

KeePass for Windows supports the YubiKey in, I think, HOTP mode. It reencrypts the DB using the next code that you then enter the next time you open it.

edit: http://keepass.info/plugins.html#otpkeyprov

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is there a recommended source of files to use for keyfiles? Like in case you misplace your only copy of butt.jpg and you have trouble getting a byte-for-byte identical copy again. Is there a good generator system, or reliable source of files that (probably) won't ever change?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Is there a recommended source of files to use for keyfiles? Like in case you misplace your only copy of butt.jpg and you have trouble getting a byte-for-byte identical copy again. Is there a good generator system, or reliable source of files that (probably) won't ever change?
... why the gently caress are you using files as your source for keyfiles? what the gently caress is wrong with you

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I've never used a keyfile for anything, but aren't they literally files? And the point is to have a bunch of unpredictable data in it?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Furism posted:

It's something "I have" and is an extra layer of security from something "I know." My password doesn't have such a huge entropy (120 bits or so) because I need to type it regularly so it needs to be somewhat memorable. If I'm losing a device with the keepass database on it, and somehow it's found unlocked (I could get mugged, the laptop could be stolen while I'm working on it, who knows ; I do travel a lot for work so the chances of this happening are higher than the average), I don't want anyone to be able to brute force it. I feel that 2FA helps with this.

If someone mugged you and stole your laptop, why wouldn't they take whatever hardware your 2nd factor is too? Will you be carrying it clenched tight between your paranoid cheeks?

Who exactly is your adversary that's going to brute force your db password instead of immediately wiping and or flipping the laptop? In particular, who is doing so faster than you getting a backup copy and changing all of your passwords?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

baka kaba posted:

I've never used a keyfile for anything, but aren't they literally files? And the point is to have a bunch of unpredictable data in it?
you generate a keyfile using a csprng, not via grabbing random files to feed it and keeping copies of those files to regenerate the keyfile later. the security is that a byte-for-byte copy should be nigh impossible to generate, and you're to keep backup copies of the generated keyfile in the event of disaster

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you generate a keyfile using a csprng, not via grabbing random files to feed it and keeping copies of those files to regenerate the keyfile later. the security is that a byte-for-byte copy should be nigh impossible to generate, and you're to keep backup copies of the generated keyfile in the event of disaster

lol if you don't use calm.jpg as your universal keyfile base.

This still refers back to my question earlier, to which somebody wittily replied "Paper?", but I loathe sharing keyfiles. This is one of these problems I always have with a "use keyfiles" approach; I hate having my private GPG private key on my phone, for example, but I need it there if I want to use GPG. Similarly, if I change expiration date etc. I have to resync, and it kind of just sits there on the phone. It also means you need different ways to sync your password container on one hand and your key files on the other, because if you just throw them into the same folder and share that via some cloud thingie, you might as well not bother with a keyfile to begin with.

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 22, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well the reason I'm asking is I was looking at KeePass, and their keyfile bit says

quote:

A key file can be any file you choose; although you should choose one with lots of random data.
KeePass can generate key files for you, however you can also use any other, already existing file (like JPG image, DOC document, etc.).

And obviously having it generate a random file is more secure, so it seems like the only reason to allow people to use a normal file is because it's more convenient somehow - harder to 'lose', like a super-long master password you're not going to accidentally forget. I thought that was probably the idea anyway, just wondered if there was an accepted best practice for using these user-supplied files

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm not sure that I would classify a Word doc as having lots of random data, hmm.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I'm not sure that I would classify a Word doc as having lots of random data, hmm.
yeah it's worth knowing that common file formats are not sources of high entropy, and key file as an idea has severe compromises to security for what strange usability allowances it provides.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
I disagree with keyfiles being a sensible trade-off for the general use case.
Any access protections you apply to the keyfile could and should have been applied to the kdbx file instead with the same net result.
A reasonable number of pbkdf2 rounds with a decent password (100+ bits) gives equivalent brute force protection as 128 bits is a practical upper bound on your entropy anyway given the use of AES128 all over the place.

Integration with hardware ala yubikey is a completely different and valuable beast but the ecosystem is still too fragmented to handle consumer use cases.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just switched from Lastpass to 1password and It Just Worked. Exported the CSV from lastpass, imported to 1password, done and dusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

keseph posted:

Any access protections you apply to the keyfile could and should have been applied to the kdbx file instead with the same net result.

The general motivation is that the database needs to be continuously synced with other machines, while sharing the keyfile is a one-time thing. So there is a meaningful difference if you're concerned about, say, your password database being leaked by your cloud storage provider.