Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
The whistle sprinting glitch resolves your rain-climbing woes for walls that you can get a running start up and that are also not sheer 90 degrees or greater cliff faces. Just hold down the whistle button and mash sprint in a direction. As a bonus side effect it looks completely ridiculous and hilarious :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I got caught in the second part of the Yiga stealth section with all the guards alive. Should of been game over, but I wasn't gonna give up. Instead I ran up the ladder to the narrow hallway and pulled out a triple shot bow with ancient arrows. Somehow managed to hit all of the swordsmen with just two volleys, banishing all of them.

I don't even feel bad. I did that once legitimately so from now on I'm just breaking it with ancient arrows.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I feel like the rain climbing thing would be excusable if they let me use Cryonis on the side of mountains in the rain.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I bombed a cluster of rocks on the side of a mountain (the rock cluster is baked right into the wall high up with barely a ledge, overlooks a bokoblin camp, there's some ore nearby) and found a shrine which just contained a blessing. Did I inadvertently solve a shrine riddle? If so, where can I get the quest so that it shows up as complete?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Deceitful Penguin posted:

the power to summon a horse

"You know how to whistle, don't you, Penguin? You just put your thumb on +down, and press."

(I absolutely want a horse-call rune. If the stables can teleport horses between themselves why can't they teleport one to me?)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Argue posted:

I bombed a cluster of rocks on the side of a mountain (the rock cluster is baked right into the wall high up with barely a ledge, overlooks a bokoblin camp, there's some ore nearby) and found a shrine which just contained a blessing. Did I inadvertently solve a shrine riddle? If so, where can I get the quest so that it shows up as complete?

Some shrines that are fancy like that are quest related, others are just normal shrines that decided "It was bullshit to find this place, that was your trial" too.

You'd get a quest log pop up if it was one with a quest tag.

In other news, it's montage time as I finally start actively hunting Lynels and try to remember what skull stickers mean what bosses on my map.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 22, 2017

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
After a truly disgusting amount of Zelda over the past two weeks the only two major pain points I have are the rain and the menus. I wish there was an equivalent to the thunder helm but for rain, even if it was gated behind a bunch of difficult side quests in the Zora area (great opportunity to ask the player to actually fight a Lynel).

For the menus I wish they brought back Twilight Princess' circular menu instead of having to scrolling through every one of your weapons. The sorting order they use is also complete nonsense. Having to scroll back and forth through every page of my inventory got old pretty fast.

I have a few other minor nitpicks that only really became issues once I spent 90 hours on the game:

- I wish the enemies didn't level scale quite so hard because now almost every Lynel is silver and almost every group of bokoblins has a silver damage sponge mixed in.

- Cooking ultimately lacks depth and overfilling hearts really shouldn't fully heal you at the same time. You should be able to save or favourite some recipes so you're not repeatedly digging through the menus to make the same things; I don't need anything but overfilled hearts and my five bananas attack buffs. All the other food becomes obsolete very early on.

- Weapon durability is not one of my nitpicks; I think the system works really well but it caused enemy variety to suffer. They had to make sure that you'd have a constant stream of enemies holding weapons you could take and everything that didn't drop a weapon couldn't have much health.

- The side quests in this game, not the shrine quests, end up often just being fetch quests without substantial rewards or depth. Not everything has to be Anju and Kafei again, and a few are clever and the one long chain is good, but I felt they were pretty lacking overall. Maybe there needed to be another type of collectible?

- No fishing rods. What the gently caress, Nintendo?

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 22, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Desuwa posted:

- I wish the enemies didn't level scale quite so hard because now almost every Lynel is silver and almost every group of bokoblins has a silver damage sponge mixed in.

The slow realization about this is why I've put my plowing through the Divine beasts on hold, now that I still have one left but only 19 hearts total and two stamina wheels.

White Maned Lynels everywhere is bad enough for me as it is, but at least I feel I'm on semi eeen footing between rapidly loving up and eating several steak dinners. I'd hate myself if everything was top tier damage sponge. The stray silver bokob or silver lizal is just, ugh. So no worth them dropping a gem or two.

If you want to ramp up hitpoints, don't do it to the point you'll break off the weapons they are wielding themselves, basically. Lynel weapons feel like a loving joke once they are in my hands due to durability. Get a Lynel weapon, snap it in half fighting the next Lynel and fall back on your collection of Royal swords, repeat. And I'm not even seeing the wacky colors yet.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 22, 2017

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Section Z posted:

If you want to ramp up hitpoints, don't do it to the point you'll break off the weapons they are wielding themselves, basically. Lynel weapons feel like a loving joke once they are in my hands due to durability. Get a Lynel weapon, snap it in half fighting the next Lynel and fall back on your collection of Royal swords, repeat. And I'm not even seeing the wacky colors yet.

Once you throw enough upgrades at your armour that you're comfortable going in with attack buffs you run into the problem where you gain great Lynel weapons far faster than you use them.

Speaking of upgrades, there's another minor nit. The level four upgrades can get a little grindy - which is very minor, they're not expected, make the game easy, and don't require that much work - but farming dragon parts really causes you to see the machinery behind the magic of the game in a bad way.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Desuwa posted:

Once you throw enough upgrades at your armour that you're comfortable going in with attack buffs you run into the problem where you gain great Lynel weapons far faster than you use them.

Speaking of upgrades, there's another minor nit. The level four upgrades can get a little grindy - which is very minor, they're not expected, make the game easy, and don't require that much work - but farming dragon parts really causes you to see the machinery behind the magic of the game in a bad way.

I admit my collection of Lynel BOWS is outpacing my usage at least, which is pleasant. Just got my very first x5 bow. I think my "Lynel weapons Vs Lynels themselves :effort:" is probably skewed by a couple factors too at the moment.

First, I've had the mixed blessing of my latest hunting binge having a bunch of White Maned lynels with honestly kinda shrug weapons. A couple 50 damage swords, but mostly base damage swords and boosted spears. So raw damage numbers low enough to only deal 1/3 of my health at worst with my armor available, take a while to work through thousands of HP even when I do stop to snack on a damage buff rather than a defense buff. I've not seen giant gently caress off two handed clubs tonight, which would very likely end me in short order :v:

Second, I don't really end up getting a lot of mount attacks, which I've heard apparently don't take up any durability to do. So compared to everybody living the youtube kill montage lifestyle who can actually consistently parry and such, I'm wearing out my weapons that much faster because it's 90% all normal attacks and 10% "Coin flip if this bow headshot works (and being too far to make it in time when it works)", and not spending half the fight getting free hits that don't use up any durability.

At least I'm in a state where I can consistently take on White Man Lynels, even if Hinox feel like more satisfying loot results. So that spot by Lanryu road or whatever with both a Hinox and Lynel in close proximity to eachother is a spot I really like.

I'm already prepared already for rank 4 Champ tunic once I get around to unlocking the last fairy, but yeah I forgot about the rest of the stuff that uses such parts... This stack of Amber is taunting me because I really want to upgrade my Hylian outfit ASAP.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 22, 2017

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is there a place where I can read up armor upgrade materials? Kiiiinda sucks to upgrade a piece and then find out you either don't have enough for the entire set, or are short for the next levels.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If stal-monsters spawn and you run and hide then come back wearing radiant armor, they become your best pal. They even have unique reactions to Link and follow him around lol this game is so good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I got the golf on the first try because I got it five times with a hammer, thought my aim was off, and switched to a spear to hit it again so I could make the arrow point exactly where I wanted, and by the time I did that since I took my time lining up, stasis wore off and it went perfectly in the hole.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I bought this with the Switch, I wasn't really expecting the world after Skyward Sword though.

Let me preface this with A Link to the Past being my favorite Zelda to throw you off from how I feel about the rest of this game. I don't have any controller issues with the game (albeit I have occasionally lost connection with my right hand controller at times, which has been a minor nuisance) and wow, I really *loathe* weapon degradation systems. They cheapen the rewards the game gives you and if it offers a way to remove it (at the cost of making weapons rarer) I'd take it in a second.

Yet, I am really in love with the rest of the game. It is astounding how much it just gets right, that I frankly wasn't expecting from Nintendo. Zelda's constant struggle to do things right, the way you are both just kinda trying to stay true to a legend you might have heard is true, how it's all taking place after you lost and you just have to sort of take down the bad guy after he already won, it's great!

I don't have a problem with the dungeons, because actually, how we define dungeons is all wrong. People probably go into Zora's domain and think "well, this is just part of the overworld, ho-hum, can't wait to get to the actual dungeon", never realizing that they've already stepped into it. All the way going from where you are forced to abandon your horse until you fight the boss *is* the dungeon. It's a dungeon designed around their decisions for how items and weapons work. It's a dungeon with no roof, which is why I think people are confused. The animal itself? That's just the final puzzle of the dungeon (and there's more after it too)

Thinking about it in terms of each zone being it's own dungeon is going to make a lot more sense for people unhappy with the length, I think.

After all, every dungeon in the original LoZ was as big as the overworld, it just played a trick with the mind to appear smaller.

The same is true of Breath of the Wild. It's a good game. Flawed, but good.

Excuse me while I repair my Zora spear again.

PS; Cook 5 big radishes together and thank me later.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I think the weapon system is an important part of why progression in the game works so well, but it's definitely a bit of a drag at times. I'd have preferred finding fewer unique/special weapons and all of them having higher durability as a trade-off. Or an NPC who grants you a weapon fixin' in exchange for stuff/money, similar to the unique weapon smiths in Zora, Rito, etc. It doesn't bug me much anymore since I've re-calibrated my brain to think of weapons as consumables, but I think they could've given a bit more grace without ruining the balance.

Mordaedil posted:

I don't have a problem with the dungeons, because actually, how we define dungeons is all wrong. People probably go into Zora's domain and think "well, this is just part of the overworld, ho-hum, can't wait to get to the actual dungeon", never realizing that they've already stepped into it. All the way going from where you are forced to abandon your horse until you fight the boss *is* the dungeon. It's a dungeon designed around their decisions for how items and weapons work. It's a dungeon with no roof, which is why I think people are confused. The animal itself? That's just the final puzzle of the dungeon (and there's more after it too)

This is a good point. Many of the wilderness areas that aren't explicitly connected to one of the races/Divine Beasts are also designed in a very intentionally dungeon-y way imo.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I think my favorite thing about the Shrines as opposed to dungeons is that there is no progression gated behind them. If you can't figure out a Shrine puzzle, gently caress it. Leave. Do something else, come back later if you feel like it. It's optional.

Now that I think about it, I guess that's true of the entire game, which is amazing.

I still think the Divine Beasts as dungeons were good for the most part, and if I had to offer one criticism, it's that I would want them all to be as intricate and puzzling as Vah Naboris. Naboris was a masterpiece of design, just large and complex enough to offer you some real head-scratchers when figuring out how to get the various pieces of the beast to line up so you can do what you need to do. Even cooler was the fact that there were parts of the beast you had to manipulate directly, rather than via your Slate; the head and tail raising were both things you had to have Link 'plug in' by going and turning wheels and pushing plugs with his own two hands, as well as properly aligning the stomach chambers. Vah Ruta wasn't as great, but it was still pretty good and made for a great 'first' beast because of the way the trunk position affected the way various mechanisms inside of it behaved.

The two 'tilt' beasts were the only real disappointments IMO, just because the puzzles they offered were so simplistic due to the limited Beast controls. Vah Medoh would've been much cooler if there were puzzles involving manipulating the pitch (IE; the up-and-down tilt) in addition to the roll (left-and-right tilt). Since manipulating the pitch would technically involve changing the beast's altitude, they could even put those controls on a time limit; you could only tilt up or down for so long before the maximum/minimum altitude was reached and the beast leveled out again. Maybe that could even affect the temperature! Maximum altitude would be Level 2 cold, whereas minimum would only be level 1. And Vah Rudania could have been ten times cooler and more puzzling if it could just cling to the other wall as well. Having a beast you could tilt 90 degrees in either direction could have made for some real mind-bending poo poo. Only having two settings made everything way too easy-- the answer was always either one or the other and you always knew exactly when you needed to switch them. Though out of all of them, Rudania did have the best 'get the map' segment. I really enjoyed that surprise journey through the dark.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
So a page or two Patter song said this:

Patter Song posted:

Breath of the Wild has fun bits I've enjoyed, but it just...doesn't feel like a Zelda game to me. I really miss the feeling like I'm working my way through a firmly-crafted linear narrative where this is supposed to happen before this because I feel it's possible to create a much more intentional-feeling user experience that way. I don't like the "here you are, do whatever the gently caress you want" thing and that's what this game is all about so it's really detracting from my ability to enjoy it, despite really liking the plot segments I have run across so far.

To be honest, I don't entirely disagree with this on principle. I think that in regards to THIS game, open world was a great experience but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they could have told a much more immersive and compelling story had the game been a more linear experience. People have been saying for years that they wanted the breath of the wild style open Zelda and it has undoubtedly been a treat in so many ways. I have enjoyed all of it and I think this might be one of the greatest games ever made because of the freedom and beauty of it all. That said I do think that the story could have been much more involving and as a consequence of the game being non linear they kind of wasted one of the more interesting versions of Zelda. She was a very different Zelda than what we have seen before and I would have loved to have played a story about her that was more immediately about her and Link discovering their destiny together.

Sadly, that is not the game that Breath of the Wild wanted to be, and prior to its release I cant count the amount of times I have heard people waffle on about how they wanted this open type of Zelda game, all the while I have shrugged my shoulders perfectly content with existing games being a more focused crafted experience. Having had the chance to get lost in an open Zelda game now, I have truly loved it and wouldnt change much, but I wouldn't say no to a more traditional game that fits my increasingly busy schedule a bit better. Its so hard to get the balance right, and I think that Breath of the Wild succeeded better than any other sandbox game in doing that, but then I think about an experience like The Last of Us for example and it reminds me that by retaining strict control over the reigns, that the developers can create a much more compelling narrative than any open world game could ever dream of. I am perfectly capable of enjoying both types of game but If someone played Breath of the Wild and came away from it feeling the way that Patter did, I can understand how that came to pass.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

All this talk about dungeons kinda ties into our conception of what a dungeon is. The way I see it, a dungeon like you would see in Zelda is a discrete, themed collection of small areas with puzzles, battles, and treasure. e.g. Forest Temple, Stone Tower, Color Dungeon, Level 1. If that's the case, then the only difference between classic Zelda dungeons and Breath of the Wild dungeons is that the dungeons are no longer collections of discrete areas, and are instead continuous masses of land, sky, and sea. There's some vague borders drawn between areas via the map and some mountains and stuff, but that's about it. As was said before, the difference is that the dungeons don't have ceilings and the walls can potentially be climbed over.

You could even theoretically split this game into First Dungeon, Zora Dungeon, Goron Dungeon, Rito Dungeon, Gerudo Dungeon, and Hyrule Dungeon, and it would still fit - Rito Dungeon is high up in the mountains, requires managing cold temperatures and shuffling in the snow, is themed around flying around, etc. It's all thematically and mechanically linked, with some interconnecting pieces to tie the whole world together.

We do have what we would call dungeons, they just don't look like dungeons.

Spergatory posted:

I think my favorite thing about the Shrines as opposed to dungeons is that there is no progression gated behind them. If you can't figure out a Shrine puzzle, gently caress it. Leave. Do something else, come back later if you feel like it. It's optional.

Well, except for one thing in my case, and this ties into how I approached solving the shrines. I wasn't originally gonna get all the shrines, I was just gonna get as much as would be comfortable and move onto another game. But then I saw what you get for doing all of them, and I decided I'd get them all.

That changed how I played the game. All of a sudden, I barely used my horse anymore, barely explored anymore in lieu of trying to get to shrines. That meant that for areas where I have yet to find shrines, I'm skipping over the smaller details and fun stuff hidden away - and that, for me, has turned the game into a "trek from A to Bn" simulator. Which kinda sucks cause I loved stumbling upon small things that made me wonder and explore, but at the same time, I really want that loving tunic so I continue to beeline to the shrines. :downs: Maybe that's just me and I'm overly excited, but I find it hard to balance "go out there and explore" with "oh man you can get this cool thing if you do all of X things", especially when "do all of X things" ends up covering the area with things to explore but they just go ignored.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im starting to think the reason I love this game so much is because I never cared about the previous games or the series in general. Never liked the same route of collect 3 macguffins, get a sword, do 8 more dungeons. Skyward Sword being the last one I played before BotW completely destroyed any desire to play another Zelda until this one did something
completely different with it.

"It feels like Borderlands but with less interesting writing and with breakable, mundane weapons" is probably the most terrible assessment of the game I've ever read though. gently caress I'd rather have mute characters than read or listen to anything from Borderlands.

Spergatory posted:

Now that I think about it, I guess that's true of the entire game, which is amazing.

This is probably a big part of why I love this, it's a truly open world with complete freedom to go wherever you please. Not being gated by needing to get the next dumb item or doing a gimmick dungeon using said item 50 times is great.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Eh. I'm gonna say something lovely here but I rarely if ever play games for the story, and Zelda (outside of LA and some of the memories in this game) is not an exception. It's never really been about the narrative, moreso about the world it takes place in, so I'm not broken up by the story being kinda wimpy in parts.

There's really only a few games that I play for the story, and most of them are made by an insane man with a moon for a head.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

That changed how I played the game. All of a sudden, I barely used my horse anymore, barely explored anymore in lieu of trying to get to shrines. That meant that for areas where I have yet to find shrines, I'm skipping over the smaller details and fun stuff hidden away - and that, for me, has turned the game into a "trek from A to Bn" simulator. Which kinda sucks cause I loved stumbling upon small things that made me wonder and explore, but at the same time, I really want that loving tunic so I continue to beeline to the shrines. :downs: Maybe that's just me and I'm overly excited, but I find it hard to balance "go out there and explore" with "oh man you can get this cool thing if you do all of X things", especially when "do all of X things" ends up covering the area with things to explore but they just go ignored.

I did that kind of by accident. It wasn't until I noticed that I had done 100 shrines completely on my own, just through looking around and exploring the game, that I thought "man, I might as well finish up" and then became determined to finish the remainder that very day. Interestingly enough, that was one of my least fun sessions with the game. And the reward isn't even that great, IMO. The full tunic makes Link look like an overgrown child because of the weird body proportions, and the set bonus, Master Sword Beam Atk Up, is garbage. Master Sword beams do ten damage without the bonus and 24 damage with it. That's still worse than just loving hitting the enemy or shooting them with an arrow, and each beam uses the same durability as a swing, so you're almost always better off swinging. The only real use of Master Sword beams is stunning enemies with headshots, and you can do that without the bonus.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Am I supposed to get a blood moon 3/4 through the ganon fight ?

blood moons are REALLY annoying

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Spergatory posted:

I still think the Divine Beasts as dungeons were good for the most part, and if I had to offer one criticism, it's that I would want them all to be as intricate and puzzling as Vah Naboris.

Vah Naboris made me grudgingly admit that I have terrible spatial awareness.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Pollyanna posted:

Eh. I'm gonna say something lovely here but I rarely if ever play games for the story, and Zelda (outside of LA and some of the memories in this game) is not an exception. It's never really been about the narrative, moreso about the world it takes place in, so I'm not broken up by the story being kinda wimpy in parts.

There's really only a few games that I play for the story, and most of them are made by an insane man with a moon for a head.

That's fine too, and what a world that this game takes place in! I just think that its a shame that we didn't get to explore the characters as much as we got to explore the world they exist in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FiftySeven posted:

To be honest, I don't entirely disagree with this on principle. I think that in regards to THIS game, open world was a great experience but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they could have told a much more immersive and compelling story had the game been a more linear experience. People have been saying for years that they wanted the breath of the wild style open Zelda and it has undoubtedly been a treat in so many ways. I have enjoyed all of it and I think this might be one of the greatest games ever made because of the freedom and beauty of it all. That said I do think that the story could have been much more involving and as a consequence of the game being non linear they kind of wasted one of the more interesting versions of Zelda. She was a very different Zelda than what we have seen before and I would have loved to have played a story about her that was more immediately about her and Link discovering their destiny together.

Sadly, that is not the game that Breath of the Wild wanted to be, and prior to its release I cant count the amount of times I have heard people waffle on about how they wanted this open type of Zelda game, all the while I have shrugged my shoulders perfectly content with existing games being a more focused crafted experience. Having had the chance to get lost in an open Zelda game now, I have truly loved it and wouldnt change much, but I wouldn't say no to a more traditional game that fits my increasingly busy schedule a bit better. Its so hard to get the balance right, and I think that Breath of the Wild succeeded better than any other sandbox game in doing that, but then I think about an experience like The Last of Us for example and it reminds me that by retaining strict control over the reigns, that the developers can create a much more compelling narrative than any open world game could ever dream of. I am perfectly capable of enjoying both types of game but If someone played Breath of the Wild and came away from it feeling the way that Patter did, I can understand how that came to pass.

I can't disagree about the story--sacrificing a gripping narrative sort of comes with the territory of total nonlinearity. But in this case, I think it was a worthwhile trade-off to offer the kind of experience that they never could have with a more directed story.

That said, it's fine with me if they do a more narrative Zelda next time. I don't want them to just uncritically recreate Breath of the Wild from here onward like they did with Link to the Past for so long, y'know? But there are two specific things that I think the next Zelda needs to carry forward or I'll be immensely disappointed:
  • A focus on player-driven exploration. I don't think this is mutually exclusive with a more narrative game, depending on your narrative. For example (and I've brought up this idea before), what about another game that goes out to the open ocean, with Link and Zelda (or perhaps a grown-up version of Tetra) on a pirate ship together? The cast being together on a ship means you get a more character-driven story, but the open ocean setting and the characters' shared need to explore to find things means you also get that player-driven, open-ended exploration and discovery. That's certainly not the only way to do it, but I'd certainly have a blast.
  • Willingness to let the player experiment and improvise. Listen, I love Wind Waker (and I'm replaying Wind Waker HD now), but there aren't many places where I feel like I get to make a decision in how I play the game. Items solve specific problems that are signposted with specific objects or environmental cues, and you use the item that they tell you to. Breath of the Wild has some of that, yes (like puzzles that must be solved with Magnesis or Stasis or Cryonis), but often the way you actually do that is a lot less predetermined. And so many puzzles just rely on the game's physics rules and let you figure out how to handle it, like chaining together metal weapons to conduct electricity if you can't find another metal orb. If the next Zelda goes back to the older puzzle design, which so often asked players to find the solution with the appropriate item or just pushing blocks around, I'm probably going to hate it. But a more narrative game with more intricate dungeons can still have Breath of the Wild's game physics and logic-based puzzle design, and I really hope it does, because that poo poo is so satisfying. (This is also true of the open world--I really want the next Zelda game to treat its open world like a physics playground, because the "holy poo poo that worked" feeling when you try something wacky is one of my favorite things in video games.)
Keep both of those and I'm in for whatever Nintendo's got next.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Spergatory posted:

I did that kind of by accident. It wasn't until I noticed that I had done 100 shrines completely on my own, just through looking around and exploring the game, that I thought "man, I might as well finish up" and then became determined to finish the remainder that very day. Interestingly enough, that was one of my least fun sessions with the game. And the reward isn't even that great, IMO. The full tunic makes Link look like an overgrown child because of the weird body proportions, and the set bonus, Master Sword Beam Atk Up, is garbage. Master Sword beams do ten damage without the bonus and 24 damage with it. That's still worse than just loving hitting the enemy or shooting them with an arrow, and each beam uses the same durability as a swing, so you're almost always better off swinging. The only real use of Master Sword beams is stunning enemies with headshots, and you can do that without the bonus.

Awwww. :saddowns: I kinda like the look of it myself, but the bonus sounds pretty mediocre. I'll still get it, but I might temper myself or just wait til DLC so I have more stuff to do.

Actually, is it just me, or is the Master Sword kinda garbage? It gets outclassed really easily by midway through the game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How is the actual armor rating of the heros tunic though?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

I bought this with the Switch, I wasn't really expecting the world after Skyward Sword though.

Let me preface this with A Link to the Past being my favorite Zelda to throw you off from how I feel about the rest of this game. I don't have any controller issues with the game (albeit I have occasionally lost connection with my right hand controller at times, which has been a minor nuisance) and wow, I really *loathe* weapon degradation systems. They cheapen the rewards the game gives you and if it offers a way to remove it (at the cost of making weapons rarer) I'd take it in a second.

Yet, I am really in love with the rest of the game. It is astounding how much it just gets right, that I frankly wasn't expecting from Nintendo. Zelda's constant struggle to do things right, the way you are both just kinda trying to stay true to a legend you might have heard is true, how it's all taking place after you lost and you just have to sort of take down the bad guy after he already won, it's great!

Thinking about it in terms of each zone being it's own dungeon is going to make a lot more sense for people unhappy with the length, I think.

After all, every dungeon in the original LoZ was as big as the overworld, it just played a trick with the mind to appear smaller.

The same is true of Breath of the Wild. It's a good game. Flawed, but good.

Excuse me while I repair my Zora spear again.

PS; Cook 5 big radishes together and thank me later.

A very fair post with a good theory on how BOTW created 'dungeons'.

I really dislike the weapon degrade system myself but it gives incentive for players to constantly cycle their inventory with different items instead of just using the strongest stick you got. My bigger complaint is there no way to Create, Repair, or even see your weapon durabilities. On another note holy gently caress you can't even make arrows like are you serious? a game where you can get orchards worth of wood and elemental chu jellies and you're telling me I can't somehow make arrows out of these? eat my rear end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Awwww. :saddowns: I kinda like the look of it myself, but the bonus sounds pretty mediocre. I'll still get it, but I might temper myself or just wait til DLC so I have more stuff to do.

Actually, is it just me, or is the Master Sword kinda garbage? It gets outclassed really easily by midway through the game.

The Master Sword is good for two things, giving you a decent mid-tier renewable weapon and clowning the gently caress out of Guardians. When it's in the presence of Guardians or any other enemies with significant malice like the Blights, its ATK doubles and I'm pretty sure its durability increases as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

parallelodad posted:

How is the actual armor rating of the heros tunic though?

You mean the "of the Wild" set? I think it's on par with the plate mail armor you can buy in Hateno. No single piece is as strong as the Champion's Tunic, but it's still very good armor rating-wise, and its set bonus makes you do more damage with the Master Sword's beam.

Pollyanna posted:

Don't bother with the Master Sword unless you're near enemies that are possessed by Ganon's Malice. That means overworld (not shrine) Guardians, basically everything in Hyrule Castle, and every one of the Divine Beast dungeons. It glows and doubles in attack power and gains crazy durability. Sure, there are weapons with higher attack power than 60, but they're two-handed and slow. The Master Sword's 60 attack combined with the fast one-handed sword attacks means it ruins enemies when it's in glowy mode.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dizz posted:

On another note holy gently caress you can't even make arrows like are you serious? a game where you can get orchards worth of wood and elemental chu jellies and you're telling me I can't somehow make arrows out of these? eat my rear end.

Same. I was expecting to be able to make arrows myself, but then it never came up. Also, what are chu jellies even used for? I went the entire game without using them.

There's a lot of monster parts I collected that have no discernable use, outside of one shop and maybe elixirs (and at that point just use horns and guts).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Same. I was expecting to be able to make arrows myself, but then it never came up. Also, what are chu jellies even used for? I went the entire game without using them.

There's a lot of monster parts I collected that have no discernable use, outside of one shop and maybe elixirs (and at that point just use horns and guts).

Chu jellies are used in a bunch of armor upgrades, too. Also I think you can make them explode?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Only use I found was some armors needing them for upgrades, Maybe also increase elemental resistance elixirs?

But yeah I'm really confused as to why I can't do something simple like slashing at wood to create basic arrows.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I absolutely hated weapon degradation at the beginning, and I still wouldn't say I like it, but I feel like after 10-12 hours I understand why they did it and see how it does actually add to certain aspects of the game.

I really loving hate that I will be playing fashion zelda and all of a sudden I'm stuck with a dumb looking shield because my cool one broke and same with getting weapon I live just to not know the next time one will turn up. Picking up something cool becomes bittersweet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I absolutely hated weapon degradation at the beginning, and I still wouldn't say I like it, but I feel like after 10-12 hours I understand why they did it and see how it does actually add to certain aspects of the game.

I really loving hate that I will be playing fashion zelda and all of a sudden I'm stuck with a dumb looking shield because my cool one broke and same with getting weapon I live just to not know the next time one will turn up. Picking up something cool becomes bittersweet.

After another 10-12 hours you'll probably be swimming in cool-looking weapons and shields, especially once you can reliably farm Test of Strength shrines for Guardian weapons and shields (ideally Major ones for the "++"-level stuff). At a certain point I had to start leaving behind more good weapons than I was picking up because my inventory was full of good poo poo that wasn't breaking fast enough for me to need the turn-over.

Also there's one shield with functionally unlimited durability that you can grab in Hyrule Castle. (It isn't actually unlimited, but it has over ten times the durability of the next-most durable and can eat 27 full Guardian lasers before it breaks.)

I like that this game actually delivers on Wind Waker's "steal enemy weapons" thing, which is why I ultimately like the weapon durability system, even if I think weapons are too fragile in the early game and it comes across as cartoonish and frustrating. I'd guess they're not going to do it again, though. It's a system that makes sense specifically in Breath of the Wild and unless they try to recreate Breath of the Wild wholesale next time, I doubt we'll see durability return.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

veni veni veni posted:

Never Get Attached. Life advice.

Harrow posted:

Chu jellies are used in a bunch of armor upgrades, too. Also I think you can make them explode?

Dizz posted:

Only use I found was some armors needing them for upgrades, Maybe also increase elemental resistance elixirs?

But yeah I'm really confused as to why I can't do something simple like slashing at wood to create basic arrows.

Huh. I never really upgraded non-Champion tunic armor. The slow unlocking of Great Fairies and the fact that endgame enemies still chump me anyway means I practically forgot about upgrading until I beat the game.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
On the subject of moving forward with open world Zeldas, I've been wondering about that myself. Nintendo loves to revisit Hyrule, but to keep new open world Zeldas fresh they'd have to drastically change Hyrule each time, at which point it might as well not even be Hyrule anymore. Hyrule has already changed to varying degrees but it still tends to keep all of the most important landmarks.

So I'm not sure how many more open world games they can do with the property while still keeping it Zelda. I'd definitely like to see an open world game that takes place in the Sacred Realm, as well as another that does a better job with Windwaker's ocean exploration concept. And maybe one that does indeed take place in another land entirely (I wouldn't mind visiting a much expanded Termina).

Beyond that, I don't imagine we've seen the last of linear Zelda. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, but when they do return I hope they don't get stuck in the same trap as the last two decades. Zelda being linear wasn't the problem, it was that they stuck way too closely to the Link to the Past formula. As a consequence I got so tired of it that I actively began to dislike the newer games as they just continued to rehash the same tired formula over and over again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Viridiant posted:

On the subject of moving forward with open world Zeldas, I've been wondering about that myself. Nintendo loves to revisit Hyrule, but to keep new open world Zeldas fresh they'd have to drastically change Hyrule each time, at which point it might as well not even be Hyrule anymore. Hyrule has already changed to varying degrees but it still tends to keep all of the most important landmarks.

So I'm not sure how many more open world games they can do with the property while still keeping it Zelda. I'd definitely like to see an open world game that takes place in the Sacred Realm, as well as another that does a better job with Windwaker's ocean exploration concept. And maybe one that does indeed take place in another land entirely (I wouldn't mind visiting a much expanded Termina).

Beyond that, I don't imagine we've seen the last of linear Zelda. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, but when they do return I hope they don't get stuck in the same trap as the last two decades. Zelda being linear wasn't the problem, it was that they stuck way too closely to the Link to the Past formula. As a consequence I got so tired of it that I actively began to dislike the newer games as they just continued to rehash the same tired formula over and over again.

Yeah, and I'd be okay with something more linear than Breath of the Wild, as long as it still keeps the great "just try poo poo out and it'll probably work" physics. That leads to a much more satisfying puzzle-solving experience because it makes me feel like I invented a solution, even though I probably didn't.

I also think classic Zelda is likely to stick around in one form or another, even if only in a new 2D game in the vein of Link Between Worlds, something meant to be played handheld on the Switch. And that's also great! I'd just be disappointed if the next main Zelda game was "Ocarina of Time again, only this time you have three hookshots and your shield talks to you like Navi did!"

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Dizz posted:

Is there a place where I can read up armor upgrade materials? Kiiiinda sucks to upgrade a piece and then find out you either don't have enough for the entire set, or are short for the next levels.

It's a little annoying, but once the fairy says she can't upgrade any more, talk to her again and you'll be able to review what everything needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dizz posted:

This page has most of it, I think: https://rankedboost.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild/armor-upgrades/