Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
why is everyone talking about mitte? no one lives in mitte, no one goes to mitte except tourists.

but yes i was just about to post that the suburbs, which are technically still berlin, have a different character than the actual berlin people talk about when they talk about berlin.

edit: i guess, because i dont venture past the ring of course, except to go to sisyphos

oliwan fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

oliwan posted:

why is everyone talking about mitte? no one lives in mitte, no one goes to mitte except tourists.

but yes i was just about to post that the suburbs, which are technically still berlin, have a different character than the actual berlin people talk about when they talk about berlin.

edit: i guess, because i dont venture past the ring of course, except for sisyphos

Charlottenburg war auch mal "nicht Berlin", bevor es eingemeindet wurde. Nach der Definition bleibt nicht viel übrig von Berlin.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollow Talk posted:

Charlottenburg war auch mal "nicht Berlin", bevor es eingemeindet wurde. Nach der Definition bleibt nicht viel übrig von Berlin.

na ja, charlottenburg ist ja auch nicht wirklich berlin.

but anyway, here is a generous approximation of what constitutes berlin, pictured in the circle:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Your circle goes way too far to the east.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Ja super. Dann kann ich mich auch in London in Mayfair oder Soho hinstellen und sagen, dass es alles total unenglisch ist. Ja wie? Ja ne, Harrow, Tooting, Hammersmith, Hampstead, das ist alles ja nicht wirklich London. London, das ist Westminster, Soho, Mayfair. Und das ist ja voll unenglisch. Also ist London unenglisch! Da nimmst du doch aber schon die Definition von Berlin, die typisch ist für diejenigen, die Berlin nur als Mitte+ kennen. Berlin ist also der Kern West-Berlins + ein Stück Friederichshain & Lichtenberg?

edit:

Drone posted:

:respek:

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

oliwan posted:

Because that's the one part that isn't stereotypically German. Tell yourself that you're a cosmopolitan metropolis citizen all you want, but nobody who doesn't live in Berlin will believe you.

Oh, and I lived in Berlin for 5 years and I still say Viertel. And berliner, not pfannkuchen :p

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 22, 2017

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollow Talk posted:

Ja super. Dann kann ich mich auch in London in Mayfair oder Soho hinstellen und sagen, dass es alles total unenglisch ist. Ja wie? Ja ne, Harrow, Tooting, Hammersmith, Hampstead, das ist alles ja nicht wirklich London. London, das ist Westminster, Soho, Mayfair. Und das ist ja voll unenglisch. Also ist London unenglisch! Da nimmst du doch aber schon die Definition von Berlin, die typisch ist für diejenigen, die Berlin nur als Mitte+ kennen. Berlin ist also der Kern West-Berlins + ein Stück Friederichshain & Lichtenberg?

edit:

:respek:

ehm if the "Kern West-Berlins" includes kreuzberg, neukölln, tempelhof and schöneberg then yes.

i hear what you are saying about london, but you can't really compare it because the areas you mention are still visited by tourist and have an active city life. however, no one visits the areas outside that circle except for special interests. no one talks about zehlendorf, let alone spandau, if they talk about berlin. they are seperate places with seperate villagey centres.

Drone posted:

yeah wanted to include die linke voters :hfive:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

cebrail posted:

Because that's the one part that isn't stereotypically German. Tell yourself that you're a cosmopolitan metropolis citizen all you want, but nobody who doesn't live in Berlin will believe you.

Oh, and I lived in Berlin for 5 years and I still say Viertel. And berliner, not pfannkuchen :p

who said anything about cosmopolitan metropolis?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I assumed that's what you meant, since you didn't mention something about Berlin that's not typically German.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

oliwan posted:

yeah wanted to include die linke voters :hfive:

The irony is that you purposefully exclude those voters who would identify themselves as most German (whatever merit that might have or whatever merit one might ascribe to that notion more generally), i.e. the "Vorstadt"wähler who voted AfD, CDU and Linke.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollow Talk posted:

The irony is that you purposefully exclude those voters who would identify themselves as most German (whatever merit that might have or whatever merit one might ascribe to that notion more generally), i.e. the "Vorstadt"wähler who voted AfD, CDU and Linke.

yes, we are working with wildly different definitions here and the circle wasnt 100% accurate

suffice to say though, that you can walk around in berlin with 10 grams of weed or multiple xtc pills or a couple grams of speed without charge, whereas in münchen you'd be publicly hanged. choose whichever is more german to you.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyway, maybe I was totally wrong;

https://twitter.com/oneandonly_ms/status/831134250174910464?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Calling for the elimination of the jewish state in his avatar is the cherry on the kartoffelcake.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Hi thread! In going to Berlin for three days in about two weeks.
Has anyone been to Müritz nationalpark, schorfheide-chorin or the unteres odertal nationalpark?

I want to do a nature hike but I only have time to visit one nature reserve.
Anyone who has been that can tell me how those places are like during the middle of march?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is the first time I have ever heard anyone wanting to visit Berlin to do some nature hiking.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
March is hella unpredictable for hiking as far as I can tell from Berlin. Could be nice and sunny, could be terrible and sludgy. Chorin is pretty sweet though, nice cathedral there.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Well, i really love wandering the outdoors and biology, so there's that.
Besides, i've been to Berlin several times and will visit more in the future. Most of the major sights i have already seen so i'm more interested in exploring the outskirts.
I have set aside some time for the few major Berlin stuff i haven't seen yet, chiefly Potsdam and the Spandau citadel, and i'll try to squeeze in a visit to a flea market on sunday.
Haven't been to the antique market near the Ostbahnhof, can you still find interesting items there?

I have also looked up Chorin, definetely one of my candidates.

I know the weather might be rainy and cold, but as a Swede i'm very familiar with being outdoors in poo poo weather. I certainly hope for a sunny day on saturday 18th, but if it rains, well, what will be, will be.

Plus, less people around in the unstable march weather. Lots of birds around too, some of which are migrating through Brandenburg around this time of year. Less flora and insects though (my favorite things), so i'll will have to return for a longer stay in summer.

I went to Saxon Switzerland last December and despite the lack of green it was well compensated by the lack of people, who can clog the more popular parts of the park during the summer i hear.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 8, 2017

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Oh, you're Swedish. Carry on then. :v:

Zitadelle Spandau is neat, yeah. If you dig outdoors stuff maybe Teufelsberg is worth a shot. The radar station there is kinda overrun by tourists these days but at least you can get in there officially now and not through holes in the fence. Might have to book in advance though. You can visit everything except the radar station without issue though.

No idea about the antiques market near Ostbahnhof.

You might like Stechlinsee, apart from looking like an old woman's face in profile, it's a major water research station and probably has the clearest water in Germany. And a defunct GDR nuclear plant nearby but that's just a coincidence.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Does anyone know anything about the so-called 1%-Regel for Dienstwagen?

My employer is going to be rolling out some new "JobRad" concept with a third-party company... apparently I can go to a partnered bike shop (there are three within a kilometer from me, so hey that's neat), pick out a thing, then go back to my employer and sign some sort of Überlassungsvertrag regarding the bike, then go back to the shop and take home my chosen bike. Monthly fees will then be taken out of my Gehalt over a period of 36 months, and apparently this is somehow cheaper for me than just buying a bike outright. Somethingsomething because German law now apparently treats a bicycle as a Dienstwagen and there's some kind of steuerlichen Vorteil to this whole thing that makes this whole thing possible, and I can't wrap my head around it.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
I'm hardly an expert, but essentially:

If your employer provides access to a Dienstwagen (company vehicle) which it also lets you use in your private life, the tax authority considers this a job perk subject to taxation - a "geldwerter Vorteil". Your employer is supposed to "add" the value of this job perk to your gross income to determine how many taxes and duties they're supposed to pay for you. The law assumes that this job perk is worth one percent of the vehicle's list price (rounded down to the nearest hundred Euros) per month, plus a certain amount per kilometer you're using the vehicle for to cover running costs for your travel between your home and your workplace. As usual in German law, there are multiple ways to calculate that, but generally the easiest rule is to say that it's equal to 0.03% of the list value per kilometer.

Say this shiny new bike costs a thousand Euros, on the dot. One percent is ten Euros. Say it's exactly ten kilometers between home and work that you are gonna travel on that bike. That's (0.03% times 10 kilometers times 1000 Euros) = 3 Euros on top. The "geldwerter Vorteil" in total would be 13 Euros per month. Your employer then pays taxes on the salary they're paying you as if it was 13 Euros higher.

If your employer charges a monthly fee for the privilege of letting you use the vehicle privately, then that's deducted from this fictional job perk and can (if the fee is equal or higher than the calculated worth of the perk) in theory completely eliminate it.

You said that the fee they'd charge would be over 36 months. It's possible that at the end of this period the bike is either returned (and you may be given the option to get a new one and pay the fees for that), or they'll work out some voodoo and tell you "Hey, if you pay us X Euros (likely whatever corporate math says the bike is still worth on the books), we'll let you own the bike." Or whatever, this very much depends on what's in the Überlassungsvertrag.

Bottom line for you, as far as I understand it: you don't need to do any accounting for this other than determine the distance between your home and work so they can work out the Kilometerpauschale. The tax (and math) burden is on your employer. I assume they'll work it out so that their monthly fee is equal to or greater than the "worth" of the job perk so they don't need to deal with paying more taxes for you. The advantage to you over buying your own bike in the first place is that this will likely cost you less money up front than getting the bike on a 36-month loan payment scheme from the shop yourself, the interesting part is liable to be at the end where you might have to decide whether to buy the darn thing or turn it in. Along the way, the bike does remain company property, so they'll (probably) cover maintenance and repairs and whatever, but you'll be expected to handle it with the appropriate amount of care. The details will all be in the Überlassungsvertrag.

Again, not an expert, talk to a Steuerberater if you're still unclear or want to ask your questions to somebody who actually knows this poo poo.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Drone, you might want to read the relevant article over at Finanztip.de which gives a pretty succint explanation on how it works and why it saves you money compared to leasing the bike with post tax money.

While it's basically what Gatac already explained, the calculation over there might make it a bit more clear.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Is rolling r's universally considered offensive in german? I got kind of chewed out by a coworker for doing it when I was practicing my german and I was bewildered - apparently at least this person associated it with nazis. It kind of came as second nature after learning mostly spanish when i grew up. Is my bad habit of blending something I picked up from another language offensive enough to make a concerted effort to stop it?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Is rolling r's universally considered offensive in german? I got kind of chewed out by a coworker for doing it when I was practicing my german and I was bewildered - apparently at least this person associated it with nazis. It kind of came as second nature after learning mostly spanish when i grew up. Is my bad habit of blending something I picked up from another language offensive enough to make a concerted effort to stop it?

It is, for basically that reason. If you watch any modern German television show, and then listen to Hitler's speech, the by far biggest difference is that he really rolls the R's. It's strongly associated with Hitler and the Nazis in popular culture, and if a German was speaking that way, I would suspect he's a fascist. You're absolutely not doing yourself any favors by rolling the R's when speaking German.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

^^^ e: the dreaded north-south-discrepancy strikes again! :v: but seriously Torrannor, tons of people roll their r's without being fascists ^^^

Lol no, your co-worker would probably drop dead in horror when she hears me talk in my southern German dialect, I roll my r's like there's no tomorrow. I guess you're somewhere up north? They don't do that there at all, I think (outside of very rural, low German-speaking areas maybe) so that would explain why your co-worker wasn't familiar with that outside of American Nazi movies.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 22, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

It's certainly unusual in most of Germany, and that association wouldn't surprise me given the accents of a lot of the Nazi higher-ups. I think I honestly hear it more from native English speakers than from Germans, largely because rolling R's tends to be easier for most native speakers than properly pronouncing a German R, which can be really difficult without lots of practice. I've been speaking German for ten years and only in the last couple have I felt comfortable with the word "reparieren", for example. Would honestly rather hear someone using American English-style R's in German than trying to roll them, but maybe that's just a personal preference since I find rolled R's so grating.

That being said it's also not unheard of either, especially in music. Opera has a ton of rolled R's, and Till Lindemann from Rammstein famously and dramatically rolls his R's for lyrical effect when performing.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 22, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

System Metternich posted:

^^^ e: the dreaded north-south-discrepancy strikes again! :v: but seriously Torrannor, tons of people roll their r's without being fascists ^^^

Lol no, your co-worker would probably drop dead in horror when she hears me talk in my southern German dialect, I roll my r's like there's no tomorrow. I guess you're somewhere up north? They don't do that there at all, I think (outside of very rural, low German-speaking areas maybe) so that would explain why your co-worker wasn't familiar with that outside of American Nazi movies.

It's different for dialects, yes. I didn't want to make this more complicated than necessary, but if his co-worker chewed him out, he's obviously not from Bayern. And I'm not kidding, if somebody uses Hochdeutsch in casual conversation with me, and he rolls his R, then my first thought is that he's a Neonazi. And speaking from personal experience, it's a valid suspicion.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drone posted:

That being said it's also not unheard of either, especially in music. Opera has a ton of rolled R's, and Till Lindemann from Rammstein famously and dramatically rolls his R's for lyrical effect when performing.
Then again, not few people in the 90s connected Rammstein to Nazis as well, so there's that.

As for opera, we all know about Wagner.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rolling your R's in German indeed signifies that you're retarded, i.e, a Nazi, or from Bavaria / southern Germany.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

oliwan posted:

Rolling your R's in German indeed signifies that you're retarded, i.e, a Nazi, or from Bavaria / southern Germany.

At least we know the difference between warten and waten :beerpal:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Rolling "r" owns. You northern fucks.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

oliwan posted:

In my defense I'm just a stupid american living here and am self-taught, nobody ever told me it was bad until now :shrug: I certainly wasn't doing it to be purposefully offensive, I didn't even really realize I was doing it until he pointed out.

I and the co-worker in question are in Heidelberg, but he is from the north so maybe that explains his reaction.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In my defense I'm just a stupid american living here and am self-taught, nobody ever told me it was bad until now :shrug: I certainly wasn't doing it to be purposefully offensive, I didn't even really realize I was doing it until he pointed out.

I and the co-worker in question are in Heidelberg, but he is from the north so maybe that explains his reaction.

It might also be that he thought you were mocking him. What was the comedy series with the Brits (American?) prisoners of war who regularly outfoxed their dumb Nazi captors? The Germans there had really exaggerated rolled R's, it's more or less a hallmark of British TV (and culture in general).

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Torrannor posted:

It might also be that he thought you were mocking him. What was the comedy series with the Brits (American?) prisoners of war who regularly outfoxed their dumb Nazi captors? The Germans there had really exaggerated rolled R's, it's more or less a hallmark of British TV (and culture in general).

Hogan's Heroes, or "Ein Käfig voller Helden" in German.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
What kind of stuff is open in Germany (Bavaria/Munich) over the Easter weekend (Good Friday-Easter Monday)? Also, anyone have experience with the Porta Alpinae doorways art project, and have any idea how accessible they are/which ones are still up?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

In Bavaria? Churches, gas stations and (some) bakeries, mostly. In Munich there should be plenty of restaurants and stuff that are still open (though their opening times might be different from the rest of the year). This doesn't apply on Holy Saturday though, which is a normal work day.

No idea though about this alpine project, sorry

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
My girlfriend and I are landing in Cologne from Miami at 11:45AM on Saturday May 20th. It is my first time in Europe, and both of our first times in Germany.

I have always wanted to see a European soccer game (Bundesliga prefferable) so I am considering going to Dortmund to watch the 3:30 game.

Is this realistic? Is it possible to get to Dortmund in time for kick-off?

If not, are there any games in Cologne to go watch, or good soccer bars I can watch at?

If we do stay in Cologne, does anyone have any recommendations for beer halls, clubs or lounges? Also nice cheap clean hostels? I would be very appreciative for any advice!

We are than considering flying from Cologne to Milan after because the train is like 10 hours.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Can't tell you about how easy it will be to get tickets for a Dortmund game on the day of (or even now -- I assume all 1. Bundesliga games are pretty much sold out at the beginning of the season, but I could be wrong on that). But getting to Dortmund from Cologne in around 3 hours is definitely do-able, depending on how long it takes you to go through passport control and to get your baggage at the airport. Bear in mind though: you'll be needing some place to drop off your luggage before heading to Dortmund, since you won't be able to take it with you to the stadium or anything.

Also something to bear in mind: I dunno about you, but probably the very last thing on this Earth that I would want to do immediately after travelling for like 12 hours straight (including airport times) and across six different time zones would be to go to a goddamn football game. You might be better off either finding a place to watch the game on TV, or choosing to go to a different match on a different day, assuming you're able to get tickets.

How long will you be in Germany, and are you just going to be in Cologne or travelling around?

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
You can try the 1. FC Köln Ticket Börse and see if they have any tickets for the Mainz game. Assuming you can't get tickets and aren't too tired, two good football bars in Cologne are Gotes Grüne Wiese and Zum Goldenen Schuss. I would try and get there ~45 mins early so you can get a place to sit.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
We will be in Cologne for the night of Sat may 20th (I think) leave for Milan, and back in Cologne night of may 27th (sat?) For our 1PM flight home on Sunday the 28th.

So looking for places to drink mostly or walk around that Sat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
*wrong tab*