Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I tried to read the military history thread but it goes really fast and there's a lot of really deep insular stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If I had more time and money first thing I would paint before Napoleonics or even finish my BA/CoC armies would be to paint up a few fleets of GHQ's 1/2400 ships

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What are the long-gunned CVR(T)? Looks too thick to be a Rarden autocannon, but scale might be throwing it off.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Scorpion 90mm

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ah, thought it might be that but wasn't sure since those were IRL export only models. With a Cold War Gone Hot scenario you can do whatever you want though.

ETA: like my plan to eventually do a bunch of DDR T-34s :v:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Hell yeah post the results

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I didn't realise Auscam had so much black on it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Kommando posted:

I didn't realise Auscam had so much black on it.

There's a Terra Nullius joke to be made here

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

muggins posted:

I tried to read the military history thread but it goes really fast and there's a lot of really deep insular stuff

Ooh link?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Milhist and Cold War threads are constant gold (interspersed with WTF F-35 and reiterating how hosed Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan were).

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

spectralent posted:

FoW has soviet units where your core picks are two groups of 21 stands of 15mm infantry :negative:
Yeah but only 11 of them are armed.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Did a COC intro game for a buddy last night. I decided to try crowding the map as much as I could with terrain. We usually play with quite a bit of terrain, but I decided to just go overboard. The board was crammed with every piece of hedgerow, cornfield, farmhouse, and tree I could dig up in my closet, arranged in a semi-realistic rural Normandy kind of way.

Line of sight was super restricted. The rules we use for hedgerows are that they block LOS from infantry to infantry unless you're right next to them. Elevated positions (tank turrets, second floor windows) can see over them. The only place with a decent firing line was the second floor window of a farmhouse.

It was loving fantastic. I've never played as varied and mobile a game of COC. There was a lot of maneuvering, trying to get local superiority. Our tanks were constantly maneuvering to try to get shots on each other and avoid Panzerfausts and AT guns.

I need to make more hedgerows.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
By the way, Blessed Ivan just released his Scum of the Earth (I think) ruleset that runs the gammut from ECW to early WWI (when poo poo was still mobile). It's aimed at people who have a few dusty miniatures on their shelf that have no way to use them.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK quick Q) my ECW cavalry comes with sabers and pistols. I have three regiments-worth. Should I go all saber, all pistol, or a mixture?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

As much as I'd like to agree, I can't. If you haven't yet, then take a look. It is a work of pure goon glory.

It's good.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

it starts..

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Jesus gently caress, how do you assemble/paint/base/move those minis without putting an eye out?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I got some free METAL pikes once, and I did actually poke a hole in my thumb.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I once had a phalanx of Uruk Hai impale their pikes in my hand due to a misjudged length of pike. Even plastic will hurt.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arquinsiel posted:

I once had a phalanx of Uruk Hai impale their pikes in my hand due to a misjudged length of pike. Even plastic will hurt.

weak man flesh

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well, it's all assembled and all the individual miniatures are glued together, but each base only has half the figures attached so I can paint them properly:

I ordered the Pike and Shotte Battalia Starter and the $(rulebook + regiment) deal together. They hosed up and packed 'Imperial Infantry' from the TYW into a regular ECW Infantry box, so I got lots of free metal goodies including another command group that look suitably antiquated to represent some veteran of the continent on the Royalist side like Waller. I also happened to get a miniature leprechaun because I guess they had some laying around? And a chap with a pistol and banner pole that came with the rules. Stonking good value and since only the "For King and Country" sets seem to be heavily discounted, buying the Starter Battalia + Book + Regiment only came out about £10 dearer from Warlord direct than some ebay reseller.

Anyway, I'm thinking of breaking them down like so:

Force A)
1 battalia commander (painted red above)
1 regiment of eight cavalry
2 large shot regiments (5 bases) + 1 pike regiment (6 bases)
1 forlorn hope regiment

Force B)
1 battalia commander (in old-style TYW metal equipment, unpainted above)
2 regiments of eight cavalry
2 regular shotte regiments (4 bases) + 1 pike regiment (6 bases)

I think the force A should represent Parliamentarians, maybe with Cromwell's Cavalry (special rule: reliable to represent his control), and force B should represent the Royalists with Rupert's Cavalry (special rule: galloper to represent him charging off into the distance)).

I've been reliably informed I should pry my airbrush from my father's hands this weekend, and my first order is to get the horse painted and glued, so I can at least shuffle them around for a test game without the whole lot coming tumbling down.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 23, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Wow. That's a lotta dudes!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah, if you subtract £22 for the book (which is really the cheapest one can find it for), then for £83 I've ended up with 130 infantry and 24 cavalry. At least I can paint each regiment a different colour! I'm going to ensure this is very much table-top quality because I find it all too easy to get bogged down with detail. It's going to be basecoat -> wash -> single highlight - and I'm going to only paint those figures that are glued to the bases first - that leaves me with 'only' four 'blocks' of 16 figures (since P&S would share regimental colours), and 12 horsies.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

where do I buy magnetic rectangular bases for my 6mm armour?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Topside has finally released their new Jutland sets, in 3 different scales. Now I just need cash and a ruleset.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm still looking for a ruleset myself, although my plan is to go with GHQ Micronauts. That's more becauwe of RKKF availability than anything else.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Right so if I read my Osprey book correctly (and we exclude the New Model Army for the moment), the Pike and Shotte of a regiment were mustered together and were deployed to battle as a pair, but were split into separate units for orders. This to me would mean that each P&S as a gestalt would share uniform colours, mostly?

I finished Sharpe's Rifles and it was a great book, and mentioned Napoleonics to my opponent as a variant of P&S and he was similarly ambivalent so I think we'll shelve 6-10mm lasalle/BP/blucher for a future date. Has anyone played Blucher? It seems extremely abstracted but looks kind of fun.

The Battle of Jutland sounded epic when discussed on the Dan Carlin 'Blueprint for Armageddon' podcast series. I was actually hoping to find a good ruleset for naval wargaming but honestly had to stick with Dropfleet Commander. Having said that though, I'm sure one could do a find-replace with DFC to put in WW2 terms and it would mostly be fine?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

Right so if I read my Osprey book correctly (and we exclude the New Model Army for the moment), the Pike and Shotte of a regiment were mustered together and were deployed to battle as a pair, but were split into separate units for orders. This to me would mean that each P&S as a gestalt would share uniform colours, mostly?

Generally speaking the sleeves of shot would be raised alongside the pike and all be considered part of the same unit under the command of the same rich rear end in a top hat, but in practice this was an era where troops were allowed to dress themselves. State or royal troops would maybe be more uniform than mercenary bands, but at the end of the day everyone was constantly drunk and would steal anything they could drag away given the opportunity, so you can expect a ton of individual variation from man to man. You could model a freshly raised regiment all in identical Hapsburg white, or you could paint a group that's been on campaign for a year or two where everyone's dressed totally differently and have them both be period appropriate. Welcome to the early modern!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Ok so I'm practicing on getting cavalry done relatively quickly. It's going ok, especially since the uniforms of the french lancers are quite simple. I might be able to keep doing batches of 16-20, like infantry, without going mad.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

do you superglue to the nails?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

What is the grooved metallic cylinder hanging from his pack? I'm seeing it all over my nazi-mans and I have no idea what it is.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Gas mask holder

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Gas mask container I think.

I wonder how many kept it vs tossed it or used it to store more useful stuff like alcohol.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think they all kept the container, but I'm certain most dropped the masks.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Southern Heel posted:

do you superglue to the nails?

Wood glue works most of the time, the important thing is to have nails with very thich heads.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Numlock posted:

Gas mask container I think.

I wonder how many kept it vs tossed it or used it to store more useful stuff like alcohol.

I read an interrogation of a German panzergrenadier who said that everyone dutifully carried their gas mask for the first two weeks of Barbarossa and then left them behind in their half-track.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Between last night and today Too Fat Lardies have popped my cherry. CoC seems to be a little cleaner of a system, but Sharpe's Practice was pretty neat. GG muggins, Brit's/colonials may have won the war but French and Indians sure kicked your rear end in that battle. :gary:

The CoC scenario was Krinkelt-Rocherath, December '44. Me and some dude as the US holding against a load of Nazi fascists. The US was 3 platoons, some support and an M10 & Sherman. Nazi's had 3 platoons of lessor troops and a boat load of support/armor. Eventually our right flank fled and my lines were starting to faulter, but I used up a CoC dice to end turn 5 and win the day.

The guy running it was a local but older and creepy so I didn't get his email. But I will see him next month at little wars.OTOH the dude I played with against Muggins is also local but only a little weird so got his email despite his ridiculous unpoliced moo-stache

DiHK fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 25, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is the go-to scenario for CoC for avoiding a meatgrinder the mission wherein one must capture a JOP in the enemy deployment zone, or is there some other?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I find Probe (Mission #2) to be one of the most interesting, because it places a premium on movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Is the go-to scenario for CoC for avoiding a meatgrinder the mission wherein one must capture a JOP in the enemy deployment zone, or is there some other?

Avoiding a meatgrinder is more about having a ton of terrain that blocks LOS. Have a lot of hedges. So many hedges.