Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kokoro Wish posted:

Speaking as a mentally ill person, the Outlast games are actually more than fantastical enough to be safe in that regard. A psychologically and physically tortured prisoner fueled by brainwashing and the like is about as far from , say, a negative depiction of a manic depressive or schizophrenic as you'll get. M Night Shyamalan's "The Visit" is poo poo, exploitative mentally ill bullshit. Outlast is about as close to a reality as Resident Evil 4 is, or do you take that one to be a negative depiction of east-european Spanish people.

As another person with mental illness, I disagree entirely, it's setting is a lazy crutch and it's use of XTREME PSYCHOSIS is trite and thoughtless.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I want a game that accurately reflect mental illness so half your enemies will be too depressed to get out of bed and the other half will be really enthusiastic and get in your personal space a bit too much.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

1stGear posted:

I want a game that accurately reflect mental illness so half your enemies will be too depressed to get out of bed and the other half will be really enthusiastic and get in your personal space a bit too much.

Not good material for a horror game but you know someone will have "realistic portrayals of mental illness" dating sim like that one about physical impairments

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

1stGear posted:

That kind of stuff did happen in Undertale.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

1stGear posted:

It"s not like you couldn't make a good game with a realistic portrayal of mental illness. It's just that that's harder than making every character a violent murderer in a spooky rundown asylum that's full of rusty chains and jail cells.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've seen two people with bipolar disorder get into a screaming match arguing over who had the REAL version of it.

Making a mental illness oriented game would be inviting so many angry articles.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I played something that was designed by a teacher as a way of educating people on autism. You're a kid on a playground and everything in your own little corner is kind of serene but as you approach other children the screen warps and cacophonous wailing blows out your speakers.

It was the scariest game I've played and would be 5 minutes at most.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is there a thread for RE7 that I just can't find?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oldpainless posted:

Is there a thread for RE7 that I just can't find?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807206

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thank you

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Improbable Lobster posted:

It"s not like you couldn't make a good game with a realistic portrayal of mental illness. It's just that that's harder than making every character a violent murderer in a spooky rundown asylum that's full of rusty chains and jail cells.

I'm curious as to how you think this would work as a horror title, realistic portrayals of it wouldn't be scary and while having all of the patients being bloodlusting psychos is unrealistic as all hell it works in an Arkham Asylum-esque horror game.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"Watch a homeless guy mumble while jerkin' off" wouldn't fly off the shelves, for sure

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Watch a homeless guy mumble while jerkin' off" wouldn't fly off the shelves, for sure

Live the life in Penn Station Simulator 2017!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Realistic portrayals of it wouldn't be scary

Bipolar disorder and PTSD are pretty scary, having one of them and having family with both.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Turn Off Your Monitor Simulator 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yardbomb posted:

Bipolar disorder and PTSD are pretty scary, having one of them and having family with both.

In real life? Yeah, I'm sure they are but in a video game it would be pretty lame.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

In real life? Yeah, I'm sure they are but in a video game it would be pretty lame.

Do you think that the only way to engage with mental illnesses in video games is to shoot or run from people that have them?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This derail is headed in a dumb direction, but it's worth pointing out that in video games you almost universally interact with things, especially negative things, by shooting or running away from them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
A game where you enter into a nice, fine, safe mental asylum with the idea that they are doing some kind of horrible thing to its patients but really you're just a dummy who doesn't know how asylums work and it isn't scary

Alternately, a game where you are someone with mental health issues and they represent the issues by irregularly taking away control from the player as a means of showing that with mental illness, you are not always in complete control

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

FirstAidKite posted:

Alternately, a game where you are someone with mental health issues and they represent the issues by irregularly taking away control from the player as a means of showing that with mental illness, you are not always in complete control

That's just an MDickie game

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This derail is headed in a dumb direction, but it's worth pointing out that in video games you almost universally interact with things, especially negative things, by shooting or running away from them.

Even within those constraints you can tell somewhat thoughtful stories about personal challenges and limitations. Why reduce mental illness to a plot contrivance to make monsters when it's much more viscerally scary and affecting to get into the head of someone who has a tenuous or volatile relationship with the world around them?

You shoot and run away from a lot of stuff in Silent Hill 2, but at the end of the day it was still a story about people dealing with trauma and a weirdly intimate examination of being guilty and horny.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

So the Legion TV series.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tweet Me Balls posted:

A weirdly intimate examination of being guilty and horny.

Man, why you gotta namedrop my autobiography like that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tweet Me Balls posted:

You shoot and run away from a lot of stuff in Silent Hill 2, but at the end of the day it was still a story about people dealing with trauma and a weirdly intimate examination of being guilty and horny.

Yeah but at the end of the day it's a survival horror game where ammo and health is low and things are trying to kill you. Wondering what's sick demented form is around the corner and how they're going to kill you is where the tension comes from, not James wanting to cheat on his wife.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah but at the end of the day it's a survival horror game where ammo and health is low and things are trying to kill you. Wondering what's sick demented form is around the corner and how they're going to kill you is where the tension comes from, not James wanting to cheat on his wife.

Not really, the combat is pretty easy. The story is the only thing that people actually gave a poo poo about in SH2.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I just watched an LP of Outlast and its DLC, and while it looks really good I can't make sense of its timeline at all. At the beginning of Whistleblower the facility is fully operational, and the files you find around make it clear that while the walrider project was running the asylum above was fully-functioning. Then Waylon is strapped to a chair for an *indeterminate amount of time*, but he is freed in the midst of the staff evacuating as patients run wild. Since the staff is literally just then evacuating the facility can't have been going wild for too long.

Waylon then runs around for what can't be more than a few hours (the sun never comes up) before Murder McCorpseFucker traps him in a locker for 12 hours. Sometime during this 12 hours the *entire main game* occurs (after the facility is evacuated but before the troops roll in).

This means that the whole breakdown of the asylum has to have happened over a handful of a days, but this just doesn't mesh with how deteriorated the buildings are, nor with how the preacher was able to build up a large enough following to be able to exert even a measure of control over inmates like the cannibal twins. Everything about the setting kinda screams that things have been in this state for months or years, but the actual plot beats you're given don't allow more than a week or two to have passed between business as usual and total loving anarchy.

Has anybody else managed to make more sense of this than I have, or is it mostly an "ignore it and enjoy the atmosphere" thing?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The email you send at the end of Whistleblower is what the other dude reads at the start of the base game. Also, it's never said just how long Waylon was kept under and his head was hosed with; it could have been several weeks, with everything going to poo poo as the upper people let parts of the asylum get taken over by crazy inmates* out of apathy or being afraid to go back down there.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The email you send at the end of Whistleblower is what the other dude reads at the start of the base game. Also, it's never said just how long Waylon was kept under and his head was hosed with; it could have been several weeks, with everything going to poo poo as the upper people let parts of the asylum get taken over by crazy inmates* out of apathy or being afraid to go back down there.

This can't be right, because the Walrider helps you escape at the end which makes no sense unless it's the main game's protagonist controlling it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Not really, the combat is pretty easy. The story is the only thing that people actually gave a poo poo about in SH2.

Do you honestly think SH2 would have been held to such a high regard if it dropped it's hellscapes/creatures, wasn't a survival horror title but kept the same story?

edit: Do you think James being horny is scary?

sigher fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 22, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The scariest things in SH2 are those normal enemies that skitter around on the floor like cockroaches on fast forward if you knock them down :ohdear:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Do you honestly think SH2 would have been held to such a high regard if it dropped it's hellscapes/creatures, wasn't a survival horror title but kept the same story?

edit: Do you think James being horny is scary?

The setting and creatures are a metaphor for the plot, they're necessary, but I'm pretty positive that SH2 would've been well regarded even if it dropped its survival horror trappings. Whacking things with a steel pipe is literally the least interesting thing in Silent Hill games for me and bless the genius designer who was like "let's let the player choose their level of puzzle and gameplay difficulty" so I can blow through combat and get to what I enjoy. Horror games had existed with minimal action gameplay before then, Clock Tower hadn't gone completely bat poo poo yet.

If Silent Hill 2 had ended up like a more expensive Clock Tower in terms of gameplay that would've been okay.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 22, 2017

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The opening of Whistleblower is kinda hazy to me but I thought you were sending the email that the MC of the base game got at the beginning, and you got caught doing it which is why you got strapped into the crazy machine. And the end was just you telling the whole story to the world on not-wikileaks.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

al-azad posted:

The setting and creatures are a metaphor for the plot, they're necessary, but I'm pretty positive that SH2 would've been well regarded even if it dropped its survival horror trappings. Whacking things with a steel pipe is literally the least interesting thing in Silent Hill games for me and bless the genius designer who was like "let's let the player choose their level of puzzle and gameplay difficulty" so I can blow through combat and get to what I enjoy. Horror games had existed with minimal action gameplay before then, Clock Tower hadn't gone completely bat poo poo yet.

If Silent Hill 2 had ended up like a more expensive Clock Tower in terms of gameplay that would've been okay.

If Silent Hill 2 dropped it's horror tone and setting it would have been way less interesting

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I can't imagine Pyramid Head not being horrific. You'd need to rework a lot to have SH 2 work as an adventure game rather than a horror game.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

The entire section where the game forces you to give up your weapons and every other item is tense as gently caress and it's entirely done through the gameplay.

While I agree that story is by far Silent Hill 2's strongest aspect (christ knows I don't think much of its gameplay compared to its peers in the series) the gameplay definitely has its moments and that game wouldn't work at all if it weren't a survival horror game, with the bang bang shooty gun and whacking things with planks.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The entire section where the game forces you to give up your weapons and every other item is tense as gently caress and it's entirely done through the gameplay.

While I agree that story is by far Silent Hill 2's strongest aspect (christ knows I don't think much of its gameplay compared to its peers in the series) the gameplay definitely has its moments and that game wouldn't work at all if it weren't a survival horror game, with the bang bang shooty gun and whacking things with planks.

I think SH2's problem is that the enemy variety is terrible. 80% of the monsters are piss easy mannequins and patient demons, with nurses added in later. While it is an amazing story, SH3 definitely has it beaten in terms of core gameplay. I personally prefer SH3's more explicit body-horror-and-pounding-music style of fear, too.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 22, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lacklustre Hero posted:

If Silent Hill 2 dropped it's horror tone and setting it would have been way less interesting

those are pretty integral to the story though

Of anything that could be dropped in the game, "the vast majority of monster encounters", the runrunbangbang, is probably the biggest. Leave it with just the plot important encounters and you wouldnt be losing much of the horror.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

al-azad posted:

I played something that was designed by a teacher as a way of educating people on autism. You're a kid on a playground and everything in your own little corner is kind of serene but as you approach other children the screen warps and cacophonous wailing blows out your speakers.

It was the scariest game I've played and would be 5 minutes at most.

I would like to know more about this.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

I would like to know more about this.

I just did a little googling from work, looks like it's called Auti-Sim. Didn't find a download link but wasn't in a position to play with it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The thing with the SH2 monsters is that they are very easy to defeat if you are ready for them. It's pretty easy to let them get free hits if you are wandering around aimlessly, and that is their whole purpose. They aren't designed to be a mechanical challenge to beat, they are there to make sure that you are on your guard and moving cautiously through the world rather than just sprinting down every alley.