Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

it's really good. you can easily grab it at the high wall and never switch to another weapon again

Heck yes, off to make the most milquetoast quality build ever and play through the entire game in knight armor with a claymore :sparkles:

Fly Molo posted:

Poise is decent now, great swords attack pretty fast 1-handed and have pretty good poise when 2-handed. Straight swords aren't quite as supreme, and hammers (especially the warpick) kick rear end.

When you say poise is decent, do you mean that weapons get more super armor than before in general or that heavy armor now actually serves a function beside fashion? Glad to hear that the gap between "straight sword" and "everything else" has closed a bit, and I'm saying this as someone who has always loved straight swords in the souls games (the Lothric Knight Sword is gorgeous).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

fargom posted:

Wow I've heard some strange DS2 opinions but this takes the cake, DS2 has the absolute best MP in the series. Rat/bell covenant was great but all of it was top notch compared to 1 or 3. I played PS3 at launch and PS4 now, and both versions have always had a very good population for invasions, ect for me.

yeah at its peak places like heide's tower were constant invasions and summoning was great. Even better after they did the show where people are doing multiplayer thing.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

fargom posted:

Wow I've heard some strange DS2 opinions but this takes the cake, DS2 has the absolute best MP in the series. Rat/bell covenant was great but all of it was top notch compared to 1 or 3. I played PS3 at launch and PS4 now, and both versions have always had a very good population for invasions, ect for me.

I played through the entire game and was never invaded once outside of the designated covenant zones. It was bad, much like most of DS2

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

I played through the entire game and was never invaded once outside of the designated covenant zones. It was bad, much like most of DS2

Were you always human? Apparently DS2 is kind of backwards and the more hollow you are the more likely you'll be invaded.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
That's only true if you're a sinner and have invaded a bunch yourself. If you're hollow you can get invaded still in 2, but so long as you were at least mostly clean, you were so low on the invasion likelihood chart that you would almost never get invaded. You're much more likely to be invaded while human.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Really the only problem with DS2 is the lack of an infinite orb...

...if you weren't on PC and didn't have someone hand you 99 orbs like someone with a functioning brain.

And let's be brutally honest: it's not like you got invaded outside the hotspots in the other games either. At least in 2 the blue orb would occasionally search other areas...

...especially if you knew to have a hotkey to rapidfire the orbs, which made the server hand you a connection in record time.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 22, 2017

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
It's pretty clear that anti-cheat is the worst thing to ever happen to the Dark Souls series

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm not even joking when I tell you that my connections were immediate, no matter what orb I used. If someone was there, I would find them just from the sheer number of connection attempts.

For bonus points, my red orb spawned me as an arbiter spirit in DS2, which terrified a number of people who realized I shouldn't have been able to do that since they had no sin.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is this thread also for other Dark Souls chat? The DS1 thread is dead and I want to share my happiness at finally having beaten Manus for the first time, despite some jerk putting a message over the top of Sif's summon sign forcing me to toggle before I could summon. I tanked hits with my crest shield, took a few swings, backed out, repeated. Sif didn't actually help all that much, she mostly just ran around the edges of the arena not pulling aggro at all. But I did it dammit! Now just Kalameet and Gwyn to go.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Got that onyx blade out of sheer luck of that idiot getting close to the cliff, then we both got caught in the rocks, but he couldn't heal or attack. Level 39.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phuzun posted:

Got that onyx blade out of sheer luck of that idiot getting close to the cliff, then we both got caught in the rocks, but he couldn't heal or attack. Level 39.

I am going to be extremely sad if they fix that with a patch. Since the DLC came out I looked for a way to kill him (first did it with parries, then with getting the living trees nearby to kill him with frostbite before discovering that you can lure him off the cliff) and after that I've taken every new character through the DLC once I reach the cathedral just to pick up souls, cool weapons/armor and upgrade mats. Other than killing the Dancer (which is way more difficult and less rewarding) it's the one "sequence break" you can do in DS3.

I also really hope there's something similar in the second DLC. Being able to take a fresh character into the DLC and pick up weapons early makes for fun gimmick runs :3:

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I am going to be extremely sad if they fix that with a patch. Since the DLC came out I looked for a way to kill him (first did it with parries, then with getting the living trees nearby to kill him with frostbite before discovering that you can lure him off the cliff) and after that I've taken every new character through the DLC once I reach the cathedral just to pick up souls, cool weapons/armor and upgrade mats. Other than killing the Dancer (which is way more difficult and less rewarding) it's the one "sequence break" you can do in DS3.

I also really hope there's something similar in the second DLC. Being able to take a fresh character into the DLC and pick up weapons early makes for fun gimmick runs :3:

Both Ariandel and Old Hunters are really good about letting you get a ton of goodies early on without getting walled by a boss or mandatory fight.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Me and a buddy have just been making use of password summons allowing for any level summoning to transfer weapons to new alts for gimmick runs and the such. Can't pass a weapon of an upgrade level higher then the alt has obtained. It's not quite as honest as sequence breaking, but its very fun.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Me and a buddy have just been making use of password summons allowing for any level summoning to transfer weapons to new alts for gimmick runs and the such. Can't pass a weapon of an upgrade level higher then the alt has obtained. It's not quite as honest as sequence breaking, but its very fun.

Yeah, that's probably a good way of doing things... if you have friends who play Dark Souls :negative:
I've been using CE as a surrogate for this, using it to spawn in weapons/armor for gimmick runs since it's a lot easier than trying to convince people to play Dark Souls. If anyone knows where to get updated tables (I asked in a previous post) then I'd love to know, unless it's :filez:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Perfect Potato posted:

Multiplayer activity was hot garbage in DS2 outside the bell towers and the rat dungeons (and maybe the dragon covenant bridge, ie the very end of vanilla). Turns out not a whole of people want to grind orb shards in a half baked arena for the opportunity to lose or get disconnected on

Did you never hang around Iron Keep or something? Soapstone PvP and fight clubbing was where it was at, 24/7.

Also I never had too much trouble getting opponents in the arena.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Did you never hang around Iron Keep or something? Soapstone PvP and fight clubbing was where it was at, 24/7.

You mean the thing I directly mentioned? In the post you're quoting? Yeah, I dabbled

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, that's probably a good way of doing things... if you have friends who play Dark Souls :negative:
I've been using CE as a surrogate for this, using it to spawn in weapons/armor for gimmick runs since it's a lot easier than trying to convince people to play Dark Souls. If anyone knows where to get updated tables (I asked in a previous post) then I'd love to know, unless it's :filez:

4chan generally has a link to the newest tables

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Here's my thoughts on the entire souls series re: invasion stuff.

Demon's souls: pretty sure most people didn't really have a clue what they were doing. It was almost pure and innocent then.

Dark souls: really great stuff besides the legend. After the first few months you'd stay clear of undead burg due to high amounts of twinkers there. Personally I loved invading low level in the sewers with the creepy skull Lantern. Dark souls 1 is when the series really took off, and so for a lot of people, invasions and pvp stuff was new, exciting and fresh.

Dark souls 2: it's only decent due to the specific invasion areas in the form of rat and bell. I've played through ds2 entirely human and scholar of the first sin with a buddy for a total amount of 3 full playthroughs and I can count the number of invasions in non rat/bell areas on one hand.

Dark souls 3: pretty good in my opinion. Aldrich and watchdogs are more fun than rat/bells. I'll say rat was more creative though. Purples are a new twist and helped make things interesting for the first few months even if it's died out now. It's a little worse than dark souls 1 just because the host gets so many advantages against an invader.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Here's my thoughts on the entire souls series re: invasion stuff.

I agree for the most part. I've had the most fun in 3 in terms of balls-to-the-wall action, thanks to the overall game speed increase and phantom estus, but 1 was the most fun in terms of randomly squaring off for a duel. 2 was hellaciously hosed up in terms of traditional invading, and while Belfry Luna and the Iron Keep bridge had their moments, they hosed it all up in SOTFS by putting Glencour as a summon in the bell tower :argh:

Demon's was a hilarious no-man's-land of overpowered bullshit. It's kind of charming because everything was so wildly broken that it wrapped around into being fun??

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

gently caress Scraping Spear.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I agree for the most part. I've had the most fun in 3 in terms of balls-to-the-wall action, thanks to the overall game speed increase and phantom estus, but 1 was the most fun in terms of randomly squaring off for a duel. 2 was hellaciously hosed up in terms of traditional invading, and while Belfry Luna and the Iron Keep bridge had their moments, they hosed it all up in SOTFS by putting Glencour as a summon in the bell tower :argh:

Demon's was a hilarious no-man's-land of overpowered bullshit. It's kind of charming because everything was so wildly broken that it wrapped around into being fun??

Yeah like I said, for demon's souls most people didn't really do a meta or anything, we were all young babes reveling in a completely new kind of experience and just some of us had discovered really fun stuff. Can you imagine the scraping spear actually making a comeback?

I almost forgot about dragon Bridge in ds2 but let's be fair, every game has had their non traditional fight club. Undead burg, iron keep bridge, pontiff fight club. Every game was equal in that aspect besides demon's souls.

Dark souls 3 is really fun as an invader or invadee as long as you didn't tip the balance too far in your favor (if you were host and summoned two phantoms and have way of the blue and giant seed on your hotkey, I'm sorry but gently caress you, you're ruining part of the real fun of a souls game) if you didn't want to be invaded then summon the phantoms allowed to you without a dried finger or go embered at boss gate and summon there. I'm fine if you keep way of the blue on, blues are fun to fight as an invader, they're usually idiots.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

cis autodrag posted:

Is this thread also for other Dark Souls chat? The DS1 thread is dead and I want to share my happiness at finally having beaten Manus for the first time, despite some jerk putting a message over the top of Sif's summon sign forcing me to toggle before I could summon. I tanked hits with my crest shield, took a few swings, backed out, repeated. Sif didn't actually help all that much, she mostly just ran around the edges of the arena not pulling aggro at all. But I did it dammit! Now just Kalameet and Gwyn to go.

That's great man. Manus is a bastard-man, killing him feels really good. Have fun with Kalameet, that was the hardest FROM boss for me, probably across all the games I've played (with the possible exception of Orphan of Kos).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah like I said, for demon's souls most people didn't really do a meta or anything, we were all young babes reveling in a completely new kind of experience and just some of us had discovered really fun stuff. Can you imagine the scraping spear actually making a comeback?

I almost forgot about dragon Bridge in ds2 but let's be fair, every game has had their non traditional fight club. Undead burg, iron keep bridge, pontiff fight club. Every game was equal in that aspect besides demon's souls.

Dark souls 3 is really fun as an invader or invadee as long as you didn't tip the balance too far in your favor (if you were host and summoned two phantoms and have way of the blue and giant seed on your hotkey, I'm sorry but gently caress you, you're ruining part of the real fun of a souls game) if you didn't want to be invaded then summon the phantoms allowed to you without a dried finger or go embered at boss gate and summon there. I'm fine if you keep way of the blue on, blues are fun to fight as an invader, they're usually idiots.

People did DeS fight clubs in the starting area of Shrine of Storms. They probably still do tbh. It's a special kind of insanity, an endless parade of underwear-clad ghosts dual wielding katanas and meat cleavers flipping around sucking down grass like a Denver tourist.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of invasions, is Catacombs of Carthus one of those unofficial hotspots like post-Sulyvahn?

On my last 3 or 4 characters I've been invaded within moments of setting foot into the catacombs, and other than the last one (who constantly chugged estus and spammed a WA that eventually one-shot me) they've all been the most equal and fun 1-on-1's I've had in the game :iiam:

I haven't been invaded anywhere else (except post-Sulyvahn of course) on any of these characters and it would be weird if it was just a coincidence that all of them were invaded in the same place.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of invasions, is Catacombs of Carthus one of those unofficial hotspots like post-Sulyvahn?

On my last 3 or 4 characters I've been invaded within moments of setting foot into the catacombs, and other than the last one (who constantly chugged estus and spammed a WA that eventually one-shot me) they've all been the most equal and fun 1-on-1's I've had in the game :iiam:

I haven't been invaded anywhere else (except post-Sulyvahn of course) on any of these characters and it would be weird if it was just a coincidence that all of them were invaded in the same place.

Catacombs has some good traps, alternate routes, and reasonably dangerous enemies, without being so gigantic you'll never find the host, so it's a natural place to invade.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I still think of this meme when I think of demon's pvp

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

When you say poise is decent, do you mean that weapons get more super armor than before in general or that heavy armor now actually serves a function beside fashion? Glad to hear that the gap between "straight sword" and "everything else" has closed a bit, and I'm saying this as someone who has always loved straight swords in the souls games (the Lothric Knight Sword is gorgeous).

Yes, to both. When DS3 first launched, poise only applied to weapons with hyper armor (like certain weapon arts, great axes, etc.) and you got almost the same results while wearing rags or heavy armor, it only affected your hyper armor very slightly. Now (post-1.08) it applies during normal swings to a shitload of weapons, and even more if you two-hand them (hammers, great swords, some other weapons), meaning that heavy armor's actually worth it now. Here's a bunch of redditors rambling on about it in more detail.

It's made a big difference. Now somebody with a two-handed claymore and some medium armor can poise through and gently caress up a straightsword-user's day.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
DeS invasions were the worst. gently caress a whole lotta Scraping Spear. It's like a troll's wet dream. I have had dudes not even trying to kill me. They just break all my poo poo and leave.

I miss DS1 Goon Fight Clubs. That was super fun.

I think where any of the Soulsborne multiplayer breaks down in when the meta game starts to get ridiculous. It's no fun to constantly run into the same cookie cutter build no one has found a counter for yet. Giant Dad being the first really widespread example I can recall.

DS3's big problem is gank squads. It would really only take minor tweaks to fix it - get rid of near instant resummons for starters. It's so fast that it can easily be done literally in the middle of a fight even if you have to tank a hit, then just roll spam away and estus back up. Play defense until reinforcements show up. It just becomes so boring as an invader when the host simply won't fight you until the odds are even MORE in his favor and you're outnumbered 3 to 1.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Add a lloyd's talisman like item that lets you dismiss phantoms if there are more phantoms than invaders in a session :getin:.

E: The DLC better add a shovel so I can invade people as shovel knight :argh:.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Re-summoning phantoms should open you up to more invaders or increase your chance of pulling in more invaders.

It seems real messed up that as a Watchdog I'll sometimes get backup (a second dog or a red) against a solo host, but against the guy who has two phantoms, and keeps resummoning them, nothing happens. No watchdogs, no reds, no purples. And this was in crucifixion woods - so they had to have been using dried finger, yet they don't ever get a second invader?

I had a real annoying host who kept re-summoning his sun bro. I get it - you want to be co-oped with your buddy and your buddy wants to help you, but you're on a bonfire, out of estus, I've killed your phantom three times now, just let me have this! At no point during the half hour or so of this invasion did any other invaders show up... I think? Maybe one showed up but they ate poo poo fast.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Not trying to support the poor design decisions FROM made with invasion balance this go around but, it does make it really satisfying when I do successfully kill a host that's trying to run a gank squad.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Oxyclean posted:

I had a real annoying host who kept re-summoning his sun bro. I get it - you want to be co-oped with your buddy and your buddy wants to help you, but you're on a bonfire, out of estus, I've killed your phantom three times now, just let me have this! At no point during the half hour or so of this invasion did any other invaders show up... I think? Maybe one showed up but they ate poo poo fast.

I had one just last night in post Pontiff as an Aldrich-bro that went just like this. Dude I have killed your phantom 3 times - let me have my loving Dreg. Finally won when a red bro invaded and helped me keep the host away from the summon area.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's that time again; since I'm playing through DS3 again I'm looking for some background entertainment. I always love to put on let's play's on my second monitor while doing my nth gimmick run, I'm not sure why but it's tradition now since I've been doing it since DS1 :v:

Does anyone have any recommendations, preferably for blind runs (e.g. first playthroughs)? I've watched LobosJR, ENB and a couple of the immediate search results on YouTube when just searching for "dark souls 3 blind playthrough" but I'm sure there's plenty out there both on YouTube and Twitch that I haven't seen yet.

Fly Molo posted:

-snip-
It's made a big difference. Now somebody with a two-handed claymore and some medium armor can poise through and gently caress up a straightsword-user's day.

This is very cool, thanks!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations, preferably for blind runs (e.g. first playthroughs)? I've watched LobosJR, ENB and a couple of the immediate search results on YouTube when just searching for "dark souls 3 blind playthrough" but I'm sure there's plenty out there both on YouTube and Twitch that I haven't seen yet.

Super Best Friends did a blind playthrough when it came out, there's a few really solid moments (one early on, and one at the catacombs), and a lot of the guy playing making wild lore guesses and getting excited about poo poo. Dunno how enjoyable it is for someone who isn't familiar with the group though.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Fly Molo posted:

Or even better: somebody with an ultra-great whatever and light armor can poise through straightswords/spears/halberds etc! Light rolling with the carthus curved greatsword is my favorite build across the souls games, it's sooo much fun combining poise with agility

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oxyclean posted:

Re-summoning phantoms should open you up to more invaders or increase your chance of pulling in more invaders.

It seems real messed up that as a Watchdog I'll sometimes get backup (a second dog or a red) against a solo host, but against the guy who has two phantoms, and keeps resummoning them, nothing happens. No watchdogs, no reds, no purples. And this was in crucifixion woods - so they had to have been using dried finger, yet they don't ever get a second invader?

Hell sunbros are supposed to queue into current invasions over fresh ones. White phantoms should be a stacking dried finger it should break down into a huge clusterfuck, with reds and blues pouring in. Make it so the reds spawn together in the numbers of the defenders

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Your Computer posted:

It's that time again; since I'm playing through DS3 again I'm looking for some background entertainment. I always love to put on let's play's on my second monitor while doing my nth gimmick run, I'm not sure why but it's tradition now since I've been doing it since DS1 :v:

I liked this run, it's a blind run of DS3 by an experienced player of DS1/DS2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhDVlPT654U

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Super Best Friends did a blind playthrough when it came out, there's a few really solid moments (one early on, and one at the catacombs), and a lot of the guy playing making wild lore guesses and getting excited about poo poo. Dunno how enjoyable it is for someone who isn't familiar with the group though.

DMCrimson posted:

I liked this run, it's a blind run of DS3 by an experienced player of DS1/DS2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhDVlPT654U

Thanks, I'll check that out! Not familiar with them, but I'll give it a try. I know it's a pretty narrow preference but I enjoy blind playthroughs by people interested in the previous games/lore the most. I just love hearing people gush over seeing Andre, discovering what's in Irithyll, etc. :3: I tried watching one playthrough on twitch with someone who was only interested in the gameplay, rushed through everything and skipped through all dialogue and it just made me sad.

Unrelated; I name this picture "DS3.jpg"

drat teleporting dogs :arghfist:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I tried watching one playthrough on twitch with someone who was only interested in the gameplay, rushed through everything and skipped through all dialogue and it just made me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXIewCMep64&t=11s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dunkey is a treasure, he gets a free pass :allears: