Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

quite stretched out posted:

im not a very smart man can someone set out what Straight Black Kaiser actually is? I've seen it used several times and can't work it out

It's basically a joke about asking stuff like "What would happen if Ned Kelly was Chinese and wore a pointy hat on top of his helmet?"

algebra testes posted:

Lmao just lmao at this post. Try reading a book lmao

or questions like "What would happen if Auspol threads were funny?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
holy poo poo that was quick lmao

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat.

Game respect game.

I actually came in to ask that exact question but Willus beat me to it, thanks for clearing it up!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

my dad posted:

Ah, I see it's time for the annual forums game of "Spot the actual historian" :v:

There's quite a few.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

HEY GAIL posted:

knecht in the military context is usually a term of honor for infantry. it's respectful. "servant of the land."

and if the space force descends from an air force which regarded itself as symbolic cavalry they wouldn't use it. infantry only.
Huh, I so it's servant of the land even though they're mercenaries?

Yeah, it's for a 40K game - I'm spit-balling ideas for a one-shot, mercenary soldiers serving on ships for boarding and such. So I was trying to figure out what they'd be called if they had the hats and the poofy slashed clothes and laser pikes and everything.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Elyv posted:

Gay Black Hitler is sort of a catch-all in this thread for "hey what if <insert incredibly improbable thing here> were to happen, could Germany have won WW2?"

As I understand it, you start with "hey what if certain event went like (this) instead", but to make that happen in that way a bunch of earlier things have to be different, and for those to have been different then other conditions must have changed, and it keeps ramifying until you have Gay Black Hitler purging the Zoroastarians from Hyper-Brazil.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 22, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ulmont posted:

So Weltraumskavallerie?

Weltraumsritter or Kosmosritter is probably the word to use.

Also, Knecht is actually a term meaning 'boy' or 'young man', but can be both adoring or perjorative. When used in a military sense, like HEY GAIL says, it's more akin to 'soldier'.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Hmmm...

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Tias posted:

Weltraumsritter or Kosmosritter is probably the word to use.

Also, Knecht is actually a term meaning 'boy' or 'young man', but can be both adoring or perjorative. When used in a military sense, like HEY GAIL says, it's more akin to 'soldier'.

Weltraumsjaeger or Weltraumsgrenadier could be your space special forces. Raumsoldat was used in some old sci-fi, I think.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm just going to use 'fire eaters' if I ever come up with my OC Donut Steel not-Astartes setting.

Calling your special soldiers something German is just asking for an Anime adaptation.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tias posted:

'Lad'? As in, 'the lads' and 'our lads'.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 22, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'd like to think it has a special kind of meaning that's hard to translate to non-germanics, but yeah, 'lad' is actually near perfect!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also at around 26:20 we can see that the time-honored tradition of stealing your enemy's boots off their corpse was still alive and well in 1944.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Drop the -s after Weltraum, it sounds weird. Also I wouldn't translate “Knecht“ as “lad“ - in today's usage it means “farmhand“, and in earlier times it additionally meant “foot soldier“ in contrast to cavalry (Ritter), though outside of the Landsknechte I think this meaning disappeared along with the Middle Ages or so.

I'd suggest “Raumknechte“, you can drop the Welt- from Weltraum (cf. Raumschiff, 'space ship') and make it sound less clunky. It still sounds kinda weird I think, but to non-German ears it should be perfectly serviceable :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just finished a rather interesting history book called Iron Dawn, about the Monitor and Merrimack. While it's a battle most Americans remember from school, what I thought interesting about this book is that the ironclads' first battle (they fought more than once) only occupies a single chapter near the end, and the majority of the book is spent looking at the politics, industry, and innovations that lead to both ironclads' construction. I'd never heard of John Ericsson, the man responsible for much of the Monitor's design and innovations, and had no idea the two ships were such political and industrial hot potatoes for their respective nations.

Pretty good read if you have an interest in those two ships in particular or just a love of ironclads and the general stumbling along of people transitioning from wooden ships to metal ones.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Thanks! I just wanted my spacemans to have poofy clothes, but now I have consider space cuirassiers, too.
Are reiters and cuirassiers the same thing in different languages?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Rockopolis posted:

Thanks! I just wanted my spacemans to have poofy clothes, but now I have consider space cuirassiers, too.
Are reiters and cuirassiers the same thing in different languages?

Space cuirassiers sounds like some kind of 30YW in space.
"WE ARE THE PAPPENHEIM. PROTESTANTISM IS FUTILE."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ulmont posted:

So Weltraumskavallerie?

plz post your space german merc story

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Traditionally, most writers like to equate footsoldiers on spaceships to marines, so it seems like the most logical thing would be to use the German word for that if there is any.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Traditionally, most writers like to equate footsoldiers on spaceships to marines, so it seems like the most logical thing would be to use the German word for that if there is any.

I think in WW2 the German word for "Marines" was "Amerikaner".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I propose Raumseebataillon or Raummarinestoßtrupp

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

chitoryu12 posted:

Also at around 26:20 we can see that the time-honored tradition of stealing your enemy's boots off their corpse was still alive and well in 1944.

Dead men don't walk.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wouldn't you get in trouble for turning up to fight with the wrong boots on?

Or at least for failing to look after your boots, uncomfortable, walking, for the use of?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

OwlFancier posted:

Or at least for failing to look after your boots, uncomfortable, walking, for the use of?

Not in the middle of combat in an active campaign, everyone has slightly bigger problems to worry about.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

By this point in time, unless you were a Soviet conscript shivering in a threadbare jacket with 5 rounds of 7.62x54 and a broken rifle stock to your name, you were probably stealing from corpses for souvenirs to send back home rather than augmenting your own kit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

By this point in time, unless you were a Soviet conscript shivering in a threadbare jacket with 5 rounds of 7.62x54 and a broken rifle stock to your name, you were probably stealing from corpses for souvenirs to send back home rather than augmenting your own kit.

Actually about that, how did people manage to bring home stuff like japanese swords and enemy rifles and stuff?

Were you just allowed to grab whatever you wanted and ship it home no worries or something?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Advance Wars + Carcassone?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

Actually about that, how did people manage to bring home stuff like japanese swords and enemy rifles and stuff?

Were you just allowed to grab whatever you wanted and ship it home no worries or something?

A US GI in vietnam mailed a vietnamese man's skeletal arm home as a souvenir

They met together recently and became friends. There is a pic of the US guy presenting the VN guy his arm back as a gift

https://www.google.com/amp/www.inde...1787.html%3Famp

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Phi230 posted:

A US GI in vietnam mailed a vietnamese man's skeletal arm home as a souvenir

He was only practising his 2nd Amendment right to bear arms :colbert:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

OwlFancier posted:

Here's the paperwork my grandfather filled out to bring home his Luger:

So...pretty much yes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

OwlFancier posted:

Pretty much. There WERE official channels where you would get an officer to sign off on your trophy rifle or whatever and have it shipped back military post, and this is where you get things like bring back rifles with capture papers, but for the most part people just didn't give a gently caress. This is before all the assorted import bans. Hell, before 1968 felons etc could still buy guns, and it's not until 1993 that you have mandated background checks to make sure that prohibited possessors aren't buying.

Along with the official path there was just throwing poo poo in your duffel and going home. LOTS of guns (and medals etc) came back this way as well. There is a thing in German rifle collecting known as the "duffel cut" where rifle stocks were cut in half so that the guns could fit in a guy's bag, and then the cut repaired in the states.

The '68 legislation is where gun ownership started being really controlled, so Vietnam is the first one where they really started giving a gently caress about guys taking things back.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I think in WW2 the German word for "Marines" was "Amerikaner".

I think that was WWI. In WWII, it was whatever is German for "Thank You For Your Service In The Pacific Theatre, No, We're Fine, Please Keep Hammering Our Erstwhile Asian Partners."

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
In Anthony Beevor's book on the fall of Berlin, he mentions the Red Army gave every soldier a regular parcel delivery back home through their field postal system, "an open invitation to loot". There are tales of Russian soldiers trying to put postage on sheets of glass. All the belligerent armies had tales of officers quietly advancing their careers with thoughtful gifts for their commanding officers.

So yes, it wasn't even backchannel in WW2, it was profoundly frontchannel.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty much. There WERE official channels where you would get an officer to sign off on your trophy rifle or whatever and have it shipped back military post, and this is where you get things like bring back rifles with capture papers, but for the most part people just didn't give a gently caress. This is before all the assorted import bans. Hell, before 1968 felons etc could still buy guns, and it's not until 1993 that you have mandated background checks to make sure that prohibited possessors aren't buying.

Along with the official path there was just throwing poo poo in your duffel and going home. LOTS of guns (and medals etc) came back this way as well. There is a thing in German rifle collecting known as the "duffel cut" where rifle stocks were cut in half so that the guns could fit in a guy's bag, and then the cut repaired in the states.

The '68 legislation is where gun ownership started being really controlled, so Vietnam is the first one where they really started giving a gently caress about guys taking things back.

Still not too hard to bring back.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

chitoryu12 posted:

Still not too hard to bring back.

Yeah, the only really HUGE difference is that people gave way more of a gently caress about MGs. I mean, in WW2 technically you were supposed to pay your tax to get the stamp because of the '34 law, but that was readily ignored and TONS of vets registered them after the war or amnesty dewatted them. Hell, even now you have the odd tragic story of someone finding grandpa's take home MP40 in the attic and having to quietly part it out rather than sell it for $20k+ because the old man never did the paperwork.

You still see full auto bringbacks in vietnam, but hte paperwork was annoying enough for that that you see a LOT more regular rifles and pistols. What they really cut down on was the free for all of just carrying guns back home with you.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Loxbourne posted:

In Anthony Beevor's book on the fall of Berlin, he mentions the Red Army gave every soldier a regular parcel delivery back home through their field postal system, "an open invitation to loot". There are tales of Russian soldiers trying to put postage on sheets of glass. All the belligerent armies had tales of officers quietly advancing their careers with thoughtful gifts for their commanding officers.

So yes, it wasn't even backchannel in WW2, it was profoundly frontchannel.

Looting was explicitly forbidden. Yes, you could send parcels back home. These parcels were checked. If you had poo poo in there you weren't supposed to have, criminal charges were laid. Calling it an open invitation to loot is incredibly lazy scholarship.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

Just finished a rather interesting history book called Iron Dawn, about the Monitor and Merrimack. While it's a battle most Americans remember from school, what I thought interesting about this book is that the ironclads' first battle (they fought more than once) only occupies a single chapter near the end, and the majority of the book is spent looking at the politics, industry, and innovations that lead to both ironclads' construction. I'd never heard of John Ericsson, the man responsible for much of the Monitor's design and innovations, and had no idea the two ships were such political and industrial hot potatoes for their respective nations.

Pretty good read if you have an interest in those two ships in particular or just a love of ironclads and the general stumbling along of people transitioning from wooden ships to metal ones.
since i have a special place in my heart for what might have been the silliest naval battle of all time, this looks great, thanks!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ensign Expendable posted:

Looting was explicitly forbidden. Yes, you could send parcels back home. These parcels were checked. If you had poo poo in there you weren't supposed to have, criminal charges were laid. Calling it an open invitation to loot is incredibly lazy scholarship.
you can't expect the barbarian hordes to have any grasp of etc etc

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAIL posted:

since i have a special place in my heart for what might have been the silliest naval battle of all time, this looks great, thanks!

Full title is Iron Dawn: The Monitor, the Merrimack, and the Civil War Sea Battle that Changed History by Richard Snow.

The American Civil War was an awkward one in general, right in the sweet spot of technological and social change to make the war a complete loving nightmare for everyone involved. The book makes an interesting note, that while the total number of people killed in the naval theaters of the ACW was exceeded by the death toll of some battles on a single day, the proportion of the dead versus the number who served was the same. Whether you were in the army or navy, your odds of survival were the same.

One funny bit I learned from the book: the Merrimack almost sank from ramming an ordinary frigate on its first day of combat. There's an excellent chance that the only reason the ship survived was because the ram hadn't been properly attached to the Merrimack and broke off with the sinking frigate before it could drag the ironclad completely under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

I thought the mass looting and postage happened only in the east Prussian campaign, I know by Berlin things were getting a bit more formal, but the postage for loot thing in East Prussia crops up in a lot of sources beyond Beevor.