Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/842536808575647744
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/842537544189431808
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/842537672006615040
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/842538555201208322

Government funding of Hamilton made people vote Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I see St_Rev still subscribes to the "father wouldn't have to hit you if you weren't such an awful child" school of interpretation of the Trump Victory

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Also lol at this entire thread

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/843652044758114306
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/843652259485487104
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/843652745458606081
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/843653279846453254

He's mad about this, btw:
https://twitter.com/Intuit/status/842833184823758848

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"BAD THINGS EXIST THEREFORE I'M RIGHT" - a person who prides themselves on how smart they think they are

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

That's Admiral Grace Hopper to you, Intuit.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I would bet rear end hair that there are no Gamergaters who volunteer in soup kitchens.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

failing forward posted:

I would bet rear end hair that there are no Gamergaters who volunteer in soup kitchens.

I don't know, I can definitely think of some people I've met who volunteer specifically to support their self-image of "good person" while not actually being a good person. You can tell because they'll whip it out as their equivalent of a black friend in arguments

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How dare you call me a bigoted racist I helped out at a homeless shelter once!!!

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Imagine being St_Rev's roommate and having to listen to him bitch about all the mundane inoffensive crap he was exposed to that day.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sax Solo posted:

Imagine being St_Rev's roommate and having to listen to him bitch about all the mundane inoffensive crap he was exposed to that day.

And god loving help you if you make the mistake of committing the cardinal sin of making a normative judgement on a left-wing basis. St_Rev shall never forgive your transgresion

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

NLJP posted:

Excuse me? What?

Can you summarise his argument there or is that it?

That is the actual real opinion of grown man Jon Jafari.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
Jontron thinks that discrimination against minorities no longer exists but white people becoming a minority in the US is bad because ???.

Jontron thinks white people becoming a minority in their own country is wrong on principle but black Americans being a minority in their own country is unexamined because oh gee look at the time.

Jontron wants to talk about immigration but spends tons of time talking about black people instead but definitely isn't racist because [scene missing]

Jontron is a loving brainless baby man who is lucky enough to have made a living by playing bad games on camera and screening "what?? WHAAATT!?" in increasingly high pitched voices, him having dipshit halfwitted opinions is perhaps not unbelievable but the breathtaking idiocy on display in his debate needs to be seen to be understood.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

And god loving help you if you make the mistake of committing the cardinal sin of making a normative judgement on a left-wing basis. St_Rev shall never forgive your transgresion

Remember that time he got all "I can't even" over people calling out Peter Thiel's incredibly stupid "but what if having too few scandals is ~bad~" comment?

Like I'm sure it all makes sense in his head due to varying levels of mental gymnastics but christ the amount of effort he must have to invest to just keep his self-image positive while earnestly supporting really, obviously stupid statements like that has to be enormous

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

ate all the Oreos posted:

I don't know, I can definitely think of some people I've met who volunteer specifically to support their self-image of "good person" while not actually being a good person. You can tell because they'll whip it out as their equivalent of a black friend in arguments

That specific crew was all about purchasing indulgences, at least early on when they thought they still had a chance to shape the image people had of them. It tapered off once everyone knew what their deal was, ~for some reason~

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Igiari posted:

That is the actual real opinion of grown man Jon Jafari.

What the gently caress does cyan being blue or red or whatever the gently caress it is have to do about anything re. America and Europe???

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Samovar posted:

What the gently caress does cyan being blue or red or whatever the gently caress it is have to do about anything re. America and Europe???

Yes I mean Bad Racist Opinion Manchild Matinee is not exactly surprising anywhere on the internet but this argument seems to just be word salad nonsense? I don;t know why I'm even asking really because of course it'll be dumb as all hell but I kinda want to understand.

danger-carpet
Aug 3, 2016
Is anybody here familiar with Celia Green? Seems like another thinker for the Evola/Randroid crowd.

quote:

Together with some academic associates Dr Green runs Oxford Forum, an organisation which was set up to oppose increasing ideological bias in mainstream academia, and to be a centre for the expression of dissenting ideas in philosophy, psychology and other academic fields.

Dr Green currently holds no salaried academic position, a situation her associates regard as profoundly anomalous and unjust. One of the purposes of Oxford Forum is to reinstate her in the academic world.

The reason Dr Green is not a salaried academic is partly because her ideas are out of sympathy with the prevailing intellectual climate, but also because her education was ruined. A child prodigy, she was the victim of a hostile state education system, and an unsympathetic college when she was an undergraduate at Oxford. She is uniquely suited to doing research, and could be making significant progress in several areas of knowledge if she was not hampered by her exiled position and lack of funding.

From her bizarre wikipedia page:

quote:

There are strong hereditarian and anti-feminist elements in her thinking. The former element may have been part of the reason she received support from the psychologist, the late Professor Hans Eysenck, who for a number of years was Director of the Institute of Psychophysical Research which Green founded.

Reinforcing the impression of someone out of sympathy with the modern Zeitgeist is Green's interest in the concepts of royalty and aristocracy. This interest appears to relate, not to their political significance, but to their symbolic power as representing certain ideals of responsibility and self-reliance. In several of her books Green develops a concept of ‘centralisation’, which is far removed from the ‘Californian’ concept of ‘centredness’, and has more to do with a heroic reaction to the perception that the human condition is intolerable, and that single-mindedness and urgency are the only appropriate responses.

To the extent that a conventional political position can be inferred from Green’s writings it would appear to be one of extreme libertarianism, and in fact a pamphlet of Green's on education was published in the 1990s by the Libertarian Alliance.

quote:

The aphorism, with its tendency to paradox and extreme compression, seems to be particularly suited to Green’s confrontational mode of thought. Some of her ‘anti-feminist’ aphorisms have the power to shock even after long familiarity; for example: ‘If you think of women as human, they are exasperating on account of their incredible feebleness; of course, it’s all right if you don’t think of them as human at all.’

And finally,

quote:

Herbert Spencer was opposed to state interventionism and also to female suffrage, on the grounds that women would be too likely to support paternalistic (or interventionist) policies.

Personally, I regard the basic moral principle as being that one should refrain from imposing one’s own evaluations and interpretations on other people, but leave them as free as possible to make their own best guess in view of the existential uncertainty. The modern, and totally different, principle, appears to be that the individual should be willing to sacrifice his own interests in order to contribute to the greatest good of the greatest number of people. I find this horrifying.
He who pays the piper calls the tune, but the piper is paid with freedom confiscated from taxpayers, thus reducing their ability to build up enough capital to do what they would find most rewarding, which might include having children and educating them. If it costs £60,000 a year to keep a homeless person physically alive, that is about as much as it costs to send six boys to Eton. So the freedom of the taxpaying population is being reduced by that amount for every homeless person it ‘successfully rehouses’.

If the Government had not wished to keep Jim, and others like him, alive at the taxpayers’ expense, these homeless people would have drunk themselves to death more quickly, and the population of drifting homeless would not have become so offensive to the non-homeless population as to justify incarcerating them in the power of the iniquitous medical Mafia, which will not hesitate to deprive them of their mental, as well as physical, liberty by the enforced administration of mind-altering drugs.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wikipedia pages about fringe figures curated by die-hard fans and protected by obscurity and the few well-meaning editors who want to fix things being driven off by said fans is my favorite thing

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What is it with Libertarians liking old time governments? I just recently read some guy named Hoppe who fellated monarchy and Stefan Molyneux masturbated to the Roman Empire.

"I want small government that will stay out of everyone's lives which is why I worship societies where the government could have come along and stabbed everyone in the face any time it wished."

If you're sort of super Conservative/Traditionalist, fine. But Libertarianism still baffles me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

NikkolasKing posted:

What is it with Libertarians liking old time governments? I just recently read some guy named Hoppe who fellated monarchy and Stefan Molyneux masturbated to the Roman Empire.

"I want small government that will stay out of everyone's lives which is why I worship societies where the government could have come along and stabbed everyone in the face any time it wished."

If you're sort of super Conservative/Traditionalist, fine. But Libertarianism still baffles me.

Because they're petty fascists and contrarians who put more thought into their morning pancakes then politics

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Some of the really crazy libertarians want narrow government rather than shallow government; they're fine with government having basically unlimited power as long as it only uses it for collective defense and enforcing property rights.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

danger-carpet posted:

The reason Dr Green is not a salaried academic is partly because her ideas are out of sympathy with the prevailing intellectual climate, but also because her education was ruined. A child prodigy, she was the victim of a hostile state education system, and an unsympathetic college when she was an undergraduate at Oxford. She is uniquely suited to doing research, and could be making significant progress in several areas of knowledge if she was not hampered by her exiled position and lack of funding.

:qq: I'm a child prodigy everything is supposed to come to me easily without me having to do anything why won't anyone give me money to do my nonspecific research :qq:

e: How did I scroll past this

Celia Green's Horrible Self-Loathing posted:

If you think of women as human, they are exasperating on account of their incredible feebleness; of course, it’s all right if you don’t think of them as human at all.

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Mar 22, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Women are sub-human and driven by their disgusting ovarian oozes to seek paternalism you see :rolleye:

danger-carpet
Aug 3, 2016

ate all the Oreos posted:

:qq: I'm a child prodigy everything is supposed to come to me easily without me having to do anything why won't anyone give me money to do my nonspecific research :qq:

Celia Green posted:

If you have looked at my blog (which has been running since 2006), you will see that I am still attempting to enter on the 40-year professorial career which I should have started 50 years ago when I left college. I am also attempting to build up my current situation into at least one university department which will provide me with the hotel environment which I need to lead a liveable life of progressive intellectual activity.

As I said, I need people to come and work with me, to help me build up my situation. If people want to help me, they have to be unselective about what they do, and not insist on doing ‘creative’ work. If you are interested in this possibility, you are welcome to come. You would have to sort this out yourself if you are interested enough. Even if you do not wish to come yourself, please let other people know about my existence and my need for people to work with me. I would be happy to send complimentary books to anyone who supplies a postal address, including yourself. If you send your postal address we would send you complimentary copies of books, which you could present to public or university libraries.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My absolute favorite kind of libertarian are the whiny entitled ones that don't understand why people don't just give them free poo poo and an entire team of slaves because clearly they deserve it, since they're better than everyone :allears:

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Hoppe is evil and, on plenty of particular points, factually wrong, but he's perfectly consistent: he wants to protect the strong from the weak. Large central governments can get co-opted by the weak more easily than local-level arrangements put together by the strong, in his view; and if you're stuck with a large central government a democracy is more likely to be co-opted than a monarchy. Rule by local insurance companies is better than monarchies is better than democracies because property/authority rights are less transferable in the former forms than the latter; and this is amenable to justice (in the Gorgias sense) and economic growth (because security of property rights.)

Trying to understand Hoppe (who's happy to extend to these sovereign insurance companies basically unlimited power to police personal, etc life) or the like through the stated values of more moderate libertarians is a recipe for confusion.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Also, my favorite commentary on the mental health profession comes from people who may have done something that results in involuntarily commitment and subsequent diagnosis with a personality disorder.

Even the little bit in the quoted text makes me think "What did you do that you were subject to a short-term hold and evaluation?" because of its sheer rage.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Honestly I've been committed before and (at least in the US) it sucks, tends to be hugely underfunded and completely overlooked by society and there's a lot of ethical problems with it but none of that is what this person brought up so yeah this is totally "they made me go to group therapy those fascists!!!"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

danger-carpet posted:

Is anybody here familiar with Celia Green? Seems like another thinker for the Evola/Randroid crowd.

That quote from her site reads like an understated RationalWiki pisstake. I should add her to the RW to do list, but having trouble thinking of a concise reason as to why.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

divabot posted:

That quote from her site reads like an understated RationalWiki pisstake. I should add her to the RW to do list, but having trouble thinking of a concise reason as to why.

How concise is concise? Because Together with some academic associates Dr Green runs Oxford Forum, an organisation which was set up to oppose increasing ideological bias in mainstream academia, and to be a centre for the expression of dissenting ideas in philosophy, psychology and other academic fields.

Dr Green currently holds no salaried academic position, a situation her associates regard as profoundly anomalous and unjust. One of the purposes of Oxford Forum is to reinstate her in the academic world.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Peel posted:

How concise is concise? Because Together with some academic associates Dr Green runs Oxford Forum, an organisation which was set up to oppose increasing ideological bias in mainstream academia, and to be a centre for the expression of dissenting ideas in philosophy, psychology and other academic fields.

"doing research"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

She can research my anus

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Samovar posted:

"doing research"

Still my absolute favorite part. "Why won't people just give me money to 'do research' like i deserve, i'm a loving child prodigy!!!"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Does research, in this case, mean looking up screeds by other DE types and regurgitating them in new screeds?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I was looking at RationalWiki which has expanded pages for some of my "favorites." The page on Sargon now has a video of him saying to fellow faux-liberal Dave Rubin that "There's is no denying that Black people on average have a lower distribution of a lower distribution of IQ "
https://youtu.be/siLeJOIxYVM?t=34m30s

I knew misogyny generally goes hand-in-hand with racism but this level of honesty from Carl about his ideas is surprising.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

"There's is no denying that Black people on average have a lower distribution of IQ "

Cingulate probably agrees with this, though, right? (If by "on average have a lower distribution" is taken to mean basically the findings outlined in The Bell Curve.)

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Yeah, the actual measured distribution isn't particularly controversial; the relevant points of contention are etiology (genetics, nutrition, stereotype threat, whatever) and how successfully IQ measures track in-world reasoning capabilities, whether g makes sense theoretically, and so on.

The case for a genetic etiology seems pretty weak to me in light of the facts that (1) we know that {whatever standardized tests measure} tend to go up among populations over time, most plausibly connected in some way with economic development, (2) black-white standardized tests have been converging for a while, and were converging more rapidly when their economic positions were converging more rapidly, and (3) finding intelligence-linked SNPs seems to have been a pretty huge dud so far (unless this has massively changed in the last year or so?) (The Flynn effect stuff also seems to urge caution on the "standardized tests really meaningfully measure in-world reasoning capabilities" front, since past generations, and people in many less-developed countries, should barely be able to tie their shoes.) The main thing that gets trotted out in favor, the 50-80% heritability number, mostly seems to elide between the connotative and denotative meaning of heritability.

danger-carpet
Aug 3, 2016

ikanreed posted:

Does research, in this case, mean looking up screeds by other DE types and regurgitating them in new screeds?
It probably means parapsychology, given she's on record as an ESP advocate.

Speaking of which....

quote:

A scandal is brewing in academia. The photo accompanying a recent Atlantic article depicts Jason Reza Jorjani, who received a PhD in philosophy from Stony Brook University, embracing Richard Spencer, the white nationalist who coined the term alt-right back in 2010.

Jorjani’s writings, political activities, speeches, and media appearances have drawn charges of antisemitism and Islamophobia. In one instance, he suggested that Yahweh and Allah were actually space aliens who enslaved their believers and tricked them into committing genocide. He has openly characterized certain high-ranking Nazi officials as akin to supermen with psychic powers.

Stony Brook’s philosophy department, famous for its pluralism and progressive politics, seems like an unlikely context for this scandal. Many of the department’s students and professors identify themselves as leftists and liberals. Their focus on Continental philosophy includes research on critical theory, feminism, post-colonialism, and queer and critical-race theories. It came as a great shock, then, that one of Stony Brook’s newest alums had become the self-appointed spokesperson for “Aryan Imperium.”

The institutional embarrassment certainly stems from Jorjani’s reactionary views on culture, which he outlines in Prometheus and Atlas, the book based on his dissertation. But the parade of oddities that appear in the book — including, but not limited to, sorcerers, precogs, ancient aliens, telepathy, and the sunken city of Atlantis — are equally disconcerting.
In Jorjani’s telling, technology is not simply mechanical or instrumental, but rather supernatural and world-forming. He recasts the essence of Nazism as an esoteric spectral revolution that started with the occult Thule (Atlantis) Society and ended with Himmler’s Ahnenerbe (ancestral research) institute, organizations obsessed with lost cities, ESP, and clairvoyance that deemed Hitler an actual superman with occult powers.

From these premises, Jorjani concludes that a liberal society based on privacy and equality is impossible. James’s radical empiricism allows him to posit the existence of a “psychic elite” that would require the sort of organic-corporate state that Hitler advocates, and Jorjani cites this approvingly in his Stockholm speech.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/03/jason-reza-jorjani-stony-brook-alt-right-arktos-continental-philosophy-modernity-enlightenment/

It's like today's nazis are actually determined to live up to every ridiculous stereotype that's formed about them since WWII, right up to the Indiana Jones stuff. I actually kind of hope Peter Thiel finances some of these people, so he can very publically blow his fortune on treasure quests or whatever.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
These guys want to be the Wolfenstein nazis (The tesla zombie variants) so hard. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sax Solo posted:

********* probably agrees with this, though, right? (If by "on average have a lower distribution" is taken to mean basically the findings outlined in The Bell Curve.)
Sweet jesus, don't Beetlejuice that little turd back in here.