Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Whole lotta good birds on this the previous page :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If you ever need to find time to bond with a bird - break a foot, leg, or any system with which you locomote.

Jesus, I wish I had a bird to shove in my face that was cuddly right now.

Chael has also shown that he dislikes Walkers. (Zombies from The Walking Dead) The first time in our house he piped up, a lady walker was on the television getting chopped.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
My leg is freshly shaven and smooth and slippery so Galbedir can't climb up it and is angrily scolding it instead.

E: in the time it took to make this post she realised she can jump onto my phone and then onto my knee, success!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

My leg is freshly shaven and smooth and slippery so Galbedir can't climb up it and is angrily scolding it instead.

E: in the time it took to make this post she realised she can jump onto my phone and then onto my knee, success!

And Crouton just rammed her off so she's back to angry beeps again.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
I'm sorry for your loss, learnincurve. Birds carve their own special places in our hearts and it hurts when they aren't there anymore. I absolutely understand why you donated the cage.

btw thread, meet Holly.

She is a 12 or 13 year old Yellow-naped Amazon. She isn't my bird, but she lives in my house, I make her food, and I am helping to train her. So she's like, 30% my bird for now.

She plucks, but it's a habit I hope she will give up as she adjusts to her new lifestyle. She already joins in on long walks around the city and is really quite loving for only having been in her new home for a few weeks.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Here's a video of a bird kissing a tangerine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R1btRr_F28

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

I feel like bird pictures are 90% of why I even look at this thread. Also, you should name him Reginald.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Beelerzebub posted:

I feel like bird pictures are 90% of why I even look at this thread. Also, you should name him Reginald.

Oh...thats a good name!! He needs a people name and he looks like a Reginald :)

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

I have two budgies who might be sick, and I can't decide whether it's better to take them to a vet 1 hour away that will be able to see them this week, or one that's 15 minutes away that can't see them until next week. :(

Is a long car trip hard on small birds?
My situation is "sneezing, tail bob, and wheezing audible when you put your ear against the belly persisting over 1-2 months." Is this a case where you want to get the bird to a doctor NOW or a case where 8 more days will be fine? :ohdear: (One is a little more lethargic than usual, but the other one has normal behavior.)

e: Then again, that lethargy might be because she stays up for hours tearing up newspaper at the bottom of her cage <:saddowns:> bird mischief!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Hug in a Can posted:

I have two budgies who might be sick, and I can't decide whether it's better to take them to a vet 1 hour away that will be able to see them this week, or one that's 15 minutes away that can't see them until next week. :(

Is a long car trip hard on small birds?
My situation is "sneezing, tail bob, and wheezing audible when you put your ear against the belly persisting over 1-2 months." Is this a case where you want to get the bird to a doctor NOW or a case where 8 more days will be fine? :ohdear: (One is a little more lethargic than usual, but the other one has normal behavior.)

e: Then again, that lethargy might be because she stays up for hours tearing up newspaper at the bottom of her cage <:saddowns:> bird mischief!

Would definitely take the car ride. It may be rough on them but if they have a respiratory infection or something they may not make it a week. I would get them to the doctor ASAP, esp if one is lethargic.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

subpar anachronism posted:

Would definitely take the car ride. It may be rough on them but if they have a respiratory infection or something they may not make it a week. I would get them to the doctor ASAP, esp if one is lethargic.

Yeah, this. Birds are pretty okay with cars, just keep the heat up a bit. If you're transporting them in a cage and not a carrier, I like to put the cage at window-level so they can see around which seems to make it even easier for them.

Hour car ride is not going to mess with the birds, they should go in asap

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Car ride, I suspect if they can't make it though one hour in the car then they won't make it though the week. The most stressful part is catching them and being moved into the car, which they would have to do no matter the distance.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Scheduled them for this Friday ☺️ Thanks for the assurance that they'll be okay in the car. It will be tricky to coordinate with work, but they're so important to me, they're worth it!

Thanks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Horn of Arby's posted:

Meet unnamed bird! He was Gaspard, but in the interests of a non lovely name, he's currently just Beast or Bird Brain until something else sticks. Beaker?

For being ignored for 2 years, I'm shocked how loving and tame he is! He was fearful of hands trying to get him out of his cage, but after 3 days later he has the hang of 'step up' with a 90% no bite rate (brought to you by Smart Birb & millet). Loves head scritches, licks EVERYTHING, gives kisses, and is slowly learning that pellets are food. I've never had to switch a bird from seeds - any hints? He'll eat/chew mushy pellets, but god forbid he has to CRUNCH A PELLET. Time? I'm currently mixing half & half w his seed mix plus some fresh fruit.

Like a good birb, he's smashing his head into my fingers looking for scritches as I'm typing. And using his tongue to try and type. So. Much. Licking. :bird:

Also, I'm apparently a jungle gym.

modedit for working links

Bernard B. Birdregard. (The B stands for Bird.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Best Name

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Hug in a Can posted:

Scheduled them for this Friday ☺️ Thanks for the assurance that they'll be okay in the car. It will be tricky to coordinate with work, but they're so important to me, they're worth it!

Thanks!
Get better, budgies!

And yeah taking them sooner is definitely the best choice here, even if somehow there is nothing wrong. Birds go downhill too fast not to be over-vigilant.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hug in a Can posted:

Thanks!

If you have a buddy who can drive, it helps, because you can talk to your budgies in the carrier. Some gentle pop music also helps, in my experience, as does playing the "see if you can catch my finger!" game.

If not, no worries; it mostly just makes it easier on you, not the bird. We've had to drive our budgie about an hour before, to pick him up from the breeders, to take him to (or pick him up from) professional bird-sitters for vacations, and the good vet is about 45 minutes from us; sometimes I was there to help calm bird, sometimes my wife had to take him alone. It's stressful, because both of our budgies always cried, but it's stressful for them in the same way that clipping their nails is, in that it's for their own good, and helpful, but it makes them toddler-grumpy.

You're making the right decision, even if your bird does little angers at you during and after your trip.

Fingers crossed that the vet can help 'em out and that everything will turn out okay! :)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Wandy would always cling to the top of her travel carrier once we hit the car. She never did that at home and was about as agile as, say, a potato. Couldn't figure that out so I just started covering her up for the visits.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If anything, his first name should be Berdtrand/Birdtrand.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Birdnard B. Birdginald

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Birdoit B Mandelbird.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just want to chime in that the few times I've driven my birds to the vet, which is a 40-60 minute trip by car, they've not had any problems. In fact seemed to enjoy the trip overall.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

(((inspect)))

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Hey bird thread, I used to post here years ago and had two budgies, Peep and Campion and a cockatiel called Artie. Unfortunately the budgies died of old age some time back and Artie now lives with her egg-laying 'brother' at my Mum's house which is best as she'd always had other birds around and I still get to see her when I visit.

Now a few years later I'm getting that serious bird itch again. I've contacted a local breeder and they have a week old black capped conure that I've told them I'm interested in. The conure crew in this thread made me think some kind of pyrrhura conure would be the best bird for me, although my heart dreams of having a bigger parrot running around my house like a dog. I'm looking for a bird that's more interactive than the budgies I used to have who were absolutely lovely but did not want me to touch them except to step up or act as a perch when they sat on my shoulder/head/knee, as well as a bird that's hopefully not gonna bother the neighbours. I think I'm on the right track, although I haven't been able to find too much detailed information about black capped conures compared to green cheeks, but it seems like they're very similar, am I on the right track?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You're on the right track for a cuddlebug, yes.

Cockatiels are a little too independent for you?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

You're on the right track for a cuddlebug, yes.

Cockatiels are a little too independent for you?

It may just be my experience with Artie, or her having budgies to hang out with rather than just me but she was very standoffish. She would hang out on a shoulder but hiss at me for bringing a hand up for her to step up onto; she also didn't really want to play or interact with me too much, preferring to just watch stuff or play fight with the rowdier of the two budgies. I'd like a bird I can do more stuff with and not feel like I'm stressing them out as much. I'm hoping I can harness train Futurebird so I can take them to work with me on quiet days, for example. I can't imagine how I would have gone about doing that with Artie.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Trauma Tank posted:

It may just be my experience with Artie, or her having budgies to hang out with rather than just me but she was very standoffish. She would hang out on a shoulder but hiss at me for bringing a hand up for her to step up onto; she also didn't really want to play or interact with me too much, preferring to just watch stuff or play fight with the rowdier of the two budgies. I'd like a bird I can do more stuff with and not feel like I'm stressing them out as much. I'm hoping I can harness train Futurebird so I can take them to work with me on quiet days, for example. I can't imagine how I would have gone about doing that with Artie.

I've been working on training Cricket to use her harness for the last 3-4 months. Needless to say, I'm excited for it! She, however, is not quite so enthused about the icky red harness thing that I keep moving closer to the cage. She is finally FINALLY beaking it when I ask her to boop it. (I have been working on 'target training' her and boop is our word for it) She hates it. Just before I left she let me rub it on her feathers, but...yeah...with me being gone for a week I probably will have to start over with it.

Be prepared for your little birdie to becoming a raging ball of feathers when they see it at the beginning...I don't know why she hates it so much. I don't think its the color red cos she has red toys and and has seen me and my husband wear red before. I am half wondering if I should get her a different color one to see if it makes a difference. She REALLY hates the sight of it and mumbles conure curse words at it constantly when she can see it. But I am determined for her to wear it eventually...she wants to see outside so much and if I could just get it thru her head that if she WEARS the harness of death then she can go outside and have a great time. This will be a while though lol

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Disco Salmon posted:

I've been working on training Cricket to use her harness for the last 3-4 months. Needless to say, I'm excited for it! She, however, is not quite so enthused about the icky red harness thing that I keep moving closer to the cage. She is finally FINALLY beaking it when I ask her to boop it. (I have been working on 'target training' her and boop is our word for it) She hates it. Just before I left she let me rub it on her feathers, but...yeah...with me being gone for a week I probably will have to start over with it.

Be prepared for your little birdie to becoming a raging ball of feathers when they see it at the beginning...I don't know why she hates it so much. I don't think its the color red cos she has red toys and and has seen me and my husband wear red before. I am half wondering if I should get her a different color one to see if it makes a difference. She REALLY hates the sight of it and mumbles conure curse words at it constantly when she can see it. But I am determined for her to wear it eventually...she wants to see outside so much and if I could just get it thru her head that if she WEARS the harness of death then she can go outside and have a great time. This will be a while though lol

Hah, yeah I know it can be a slow process. I'm thinking that if I do commit to getting this black cap I'll ask the breeder if she would be willing to familiarise the bird with it and try to have it wear it as a baby so it's used to that kind of thing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
For a period of time Wandy the cockatiel was on Zupreem coloured pellets and she meticulously discarded the yellow ones.

Bird's ability to irrationally hate things would make most American's proud. It's time to buy another harness.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Captain Log posted:

For a period of time Wandy the cockatiel was on Zupreem coloured pellets and she meticulously discarded the yellow ones.

Bird's ability to irrationally hate things would make most American's proud. It's time to buy another harness.

Mookie spent most of a week hissing at a rolled-up rug, once upon a time. He was fine once I got around to unrolling it.

Birds.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Captain Log posted:

My cockatiel does the same thing! These are supposed to be banana flavored right? Or do they all taste the same? Cause he loves banana.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it may be the simple and broadly-accepted** fact that Yellow is Evil

**among some birds, as in some birds in this thread

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Does anyone else's cockatiel (or any other bird for that matter) appear to have a foot fetish? I don't know what it is but mine is super attached to my feet socks on or off. Doesn't give a poo poo about other people's though.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

birds posted:

Does anyone else's cockatiel (or any other bird for that matter) appear to have a foot fetish? I don't know what it is but mine is super attached to my feet socks on or off. Doesn't give a poo poo about other people's though.

Yep. When ours is hanging out with us on the bed, if he realises the toes are out he'll wander down to the feet so he can look at/sing to the toes. To the point where if you then hide your foot he'll go looking for them, which is the most inquisitive he ever gets.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Our B&G macaw once took a waddle under the dinner table and mistook my beany little toe for a peanut. Fortunately he liked to delicately remove the papery skin before chomping down and his confusion when this was not possible lasted long enough for me to still have that toe.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Trauma Tank posted:

Hey bird thread, I used to post here years ago and had two budgies, Peep and Campion and a cockatiel called Artie. Unfortunately the budgies died of old age some time back and Artie now lives with her egg-laying 'brother' at my Mum's house which is best as she'd always had other birds around and I still get to see her when I visit.

Now a few years later I'm getting that serious bird itch again. I've contacted a local breeder and they have a week old black capped conure that I've told them I'm interested in. The conure crew in this thread made me think some kind of pyrrhura conure would be the best bird for me, although my heart dreams of having a bigger parrot running around my house like a dog. I'm looking for a bird that's more interactive than the budgies I used to have who were absolutely lovely but did not want me to touch them except to step up or act as a perch when they sat on my shoulder/head/knee, as well as a bird that's hopefully not gonna bother the neighbours. I think I'm on the right track, although I haven't been able to find too much detailed information about black capped conures compared to green cheeks, but it seems like they're very similar, am I on the right track?

Black capped and green cheeks are indeed quite similar. Fun wiki tidbit:

quote:

In the past, some speculated that it might be conspecific with the green-cheeked parakeet. This was based on an apparent black-capped–green-cheeked hybrid found in Puno, Peru, though the identification of this individual (or at least its provenance) must be considered questionable, as beyond the range of the green-cheeked parakeet, which has never been recorded in Peru.
My own birb is most likely a hybrid himself and so I'm pretty enthusiastic about black-caps in general. Do ittt :sun:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

birds posted:

Yeah, Yoshi definitely gets into moods when he wants to sit on feet and talk to toes (as did Loki). Go figure.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Black capped and green cheeks are indeed quite similar. Fun wiki tidbit:

My own birb is most likely a hybrid himself and so I'm pretty enthusiastic about black-caps in general. Do ittt :sun:

I've sent the email to the breeder saying I definitely want the black cap.

Now I need to get my old cage back from my Mum and buy new perches/toys and stuff and a harness if the breeder agrees to help familiarise and and and...

Birds! :dance:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011