Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Twilight Princess is a great game with a few glaring problems. They're not as bad as the horrendous problems of Skyward Sword, but I can understand someone getting really annoyed by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Twilight Princess' most glaring problem imo is that it's one of the ugliest goddamn next-gen games I've ever seen

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CJacobs posted:

Twilight Princess' most glaring problem imo is that it's one of the ugliest goddamn next-gen games I've ever seen

It was originally a Gamecube game, which at least explains the technical issues.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CJacobs posted:

It looks fine.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I feel like the Wii actually looked worse than the Cube but that's probably just because it was the point I switched over to a HDTV and it looked like rear end on that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

It looks fine.

The soft bloom effect that makes light colors super bright and casts a weird blurriness on the whole screen looks really bad.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Twilight Princess is a great game with a few glaring problems. They're not as bad as the horrendous problems of Skyward Sword, but I can understand someone getting really annoyed by them.

The most glaring problem, even in my rose tinted sight, was the lack of difficulty. Not just that the game was easy, but that even the bonus challenge dungeon was easier than hitting Orca 500 times in WW.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

they're making a remake of the first one for 3DS which is nice because the original was not a super high print run and at least i'd be able to get this one digitally

i assume it'll come to america too because atlus is good on that

I don't really understand this. I can buy a brand new copy from amazon right now for $22.

Lurdiak posted:

Twilight Princess is mostly forgettable in my book. It was long and not always compelling, and I can only remember a few dungeons off the top of my head. Skyward Sword has it's problems, but I really loved the dungeons in that game, and it's color palette is much more "Zelda" than TP.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I remember when WW was first debuted it was met with some pretty strong reactions of dislike cause of the graphics. People said Nintendo was loving Zelda up with cartoony graphics and not the realistic graphics it deserves. Always interesting how it's now seen as one of the top looking ones

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I remember when WW was first debuted it was met with some pretty strong reactions of dislike cause of the graphics. People said Nintendo was loving Zelda up with cartoony graphics and not the realistic graphics it deserves. Always interesting how it's now seen as one of the top looking ones

All those people losing their minds is probably why they made TP brown and Mature, so screw those people

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yup, lots of complaints about "Celda", as well as a general perception that Ocarina was still the height of perfection and could never be matched.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I remember this as well. Especially after the fervor for Metroid Prime, people were pissed over cartoon Link. I remember Nintendo Power spreading rumors of a WW remake with OoT-type art-style only a few months after the game launch. It's one of the few times I remember the public opinion being proved wrong with time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Harrow posted:

it has really strong character designs

are you giving me the goat's leg... the strongest character design in botw is the lizalfo, all the hylians are insanely generic townfolk and the only other enemy for 66% of encounters (bokoblins) aren't too stellar

so lizalfo + sidon + guardians + kass maybe

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Twilight Princess being so dull and by the books is why I still want to kind of defend Skyward Sword. For the myriad of problems that game has, it at least has a far more interesting style and cast of characters with some kind of personality.

I do kind of want to go through TP HD though to at least see if my feelings about it persist 11 years later.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I was looking for the old Zelda 128 videos and came across a forum of angry Zelda fans from 2004.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Franchescanado posted:

I don't really understand this. I can buy a brand new copy from amazon right now for $22.

It's a full remake for a current handheld which will make Altus a lot more money than someone hopefully picking up a copy of a 7 year old DS game.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's also weird how much of a response WW is to Majora's Mask.

MM is a dark, intimate story about impending doom, with a challenging and constraining gimmick. Then WW comes in all light-hearted and colorful with a relaxing open world where you can just sail around on your boat buddy.

I remember a Nintendo Power article talking about the future of the Zelda franchise before Windwaker was announced, with the developers concerned that the N64 Zeldas were "too scary/dark", and they wanted to pull back from that perception.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was looking for the old Zelda 128 videos and came across a forum of angry Zelda fans from 2004.

Valk123 posted:

You have to be kidding. Wind Waker isn't 1/10th as good as Ocarina. It looks gay, Link has no hands or feet and his head is like 2 times the size of his body. Should have called it the Legend of Pikachu. Chu jelly, my God! Just put a ballerina suit on Link next time and focus the game around him picking out a different wardrobe, only way it could have been gayer. Yeah I played it, almost completed gale fortress as I finished metroid and have nothing to do, but can't deny I am hugely disappointed in this childrens game. It's so incredibly easy I haven't even died once or even went down to half life on a boss fight. Also the ghost boss, the statue boss, they were just completely gay. Scorpion looked kind of cool, but that fat dragon was also gay. What happened to the myriad of dungeons and bosses we are used to (didn't play Majoras so can't speak for that one as I hated playing little hobbit link)? They really shortchanged all of us fans, short easy game with gay looking kiddy pokemon graphics, thanks a lot Shigeru

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only 13 years later and everyone is posting pics of Link wanting to gently caress a man-fish, that's progress folks.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

wind waker was really easy though yeah

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm glad enemies do damage in Skyward Sword/Breath of the Wild

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

Only 13 years later and everyone is posting pics of Link wanting to gently caress a man-fish, that's progress folks.

kass is a man-bird, not a man-fish

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

"Just put a ballerina suit on Link next time and focus the game around him picking out a different wardrobe, only way it could have been gayer" somebody at Nintendo listened to this suggestion too

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Twilight Princess is mostly forgettable in my book. It was long and not always compelling, and I can only remember a few donjons off the top of my head. Skyward Sword has it's problems, but I really loved the donjons in that game, and it's color palette is much more "Zelder" than TP.

Skyward Sword is the only Zelda I never finished and will probably never finish. I even finished Spirit Tracks. Having brighter colors doesn't make up for how awful everything about the flying was or how incredibly dull and linear the overworld was. And fuuuuuuuck the writing in that game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i'm glad they finally made link a girl, officially​

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Skyward Sword is the only Zelda I never finished and will probably never finish. I even finished Spirit Tracks. Having brighter colors doesn't make up for how awful everything about the flying was or how incredibly dull and linear the overworld was. And fuuuuuuuck the writing in that game.

I liked Ghirahim but man gently caress fighting that guy and that big black lump with legs like 3 loving times each. I already hate zelda boss battles but that just took the cake.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I agree, the flying gets repetitive, and it's over-written, but I stand by the quality of the dungeons and puzzles.

To this day, I still feel really weird about turning into a wolf in TP. That fulfilled the fantasies of waaaay too many people I don't want to think about.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Franchescanado posted:

I agree, the flying gets repetitive, and it's over-written, but I stand by the quality of the dungeons and puzzles.

To this day, I still feel really weird about turning into a wolf in TP. That fulfilled the fantasies of waaaay too many people I don't want to think about.

I think that says a lot more about you than it does the game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

[while performing liu kang's dragon fatality in mortal kombat 2] Hm. Problematic.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Controversial opinion: Skyward Sword was the first console Zelda I ever beat and it's good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't dislike any Zelda game apart from maybe Spirit Tracks. And the NES ones are too old for me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The NES games are cool but I'm terrible at both of them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I remember trying to play Zelda 2 when I was six and it confused me so I didn't play another Zelda game until Majora's Mask, which I completed and is in fact the only Zelda game I've ever gotten more than 25% into. So MM is a 10/10, all other Zelda games 0/10 or 2.5/10 at best.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im so jealous of Switch owners this weekend...I wanna play Splatoon 2...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't dislike any Zelda game apart from maybe Spirit Tracks. And the NES ones are too old for me.

Yeah

I even liked ST just enough to beat it once but it's impossible to replay because the train is just so loving boring.

I've beaten all the others at least twice but I'll never touch ST again.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Controversial opinion: Skyward Sword was the first console Zelda I ever beat and it's good

I didn't play it until like a year after it came out but I liked it too and was kind of surprised when I realised the internet hates it (I had only seen reviews + thought it was pretty well liked) The backlash against the motion controls was especially weird to me because I thought they worked great

But I like pretty much every Zelda I've played so I dunno. The weird thing to me is people liking the top down ones better than the 3D zeldas because I think the combat/dungeon design/puzzles are way better in 3D

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would also say that Spirit Tracks is the only Zelda that I've beaten and actively disliked.

I can still go back to Zelda 1 (I even beat it again in recent months to test out my NESRGB). That game, for what it is, has still aged quite well. It's a comfort food type of game that I can always go back and and fart around in a dungeon or two. The Second Quest however I have not been able to revisit nearly as frequently because it relies so heavily on BS bombable/hidden walls to get around.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I played through Twilight Princess in 2014 when I bought a cheap Wii on Craigslist that came with it. The dungeons are cool but I think I logged in about 42 hours total and I'd say MAYBE 15 of those hours were fun and the rest felt pretty tedious. I think the art style was cool in some aspects of TP (Ganondorf looks really badass, for example) but I wasn't feeling the wolf thing or Midna. After Breath of the Wild, I couldn't imagine trying to play it or the HD version again.

I got Majora's Mask when I was extremely ill as a kid and something I'm forgetting about the intro made me feel REALLY nauseous so I never got very far in it. That's next on my Zelda queue.

Oh and ANOTHER Zelda opinion! I played Link Between Worlds right after the Twilight Princess slog and it's way up there for me because even though its short and easy as hell, its charming as hell and it was a fun little appetizer-sized adventure. Man, what a good game.

chibi luda fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 22, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I got Majora's Mask the Christmas it came out, along with Banjo-Tooie.

I remember being weirded out by MM. I was expecting OoT 2.0, and what I got was this dark weird game that I couldn't wrap my mind around. I gave up in the swamp and instead played Banjo-Tooie, since I wanted something light and fun, and then they killed Bottles and I'm doing a FPS mission in a temple.

It was a confusing Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I would also say that Spirit Tracks is the only Zelda that I've beaten and actively disliked.

I can still go back to Zelda 1 (I even beat it again in recent months to test out my NESRGB). That game, for what it is, has still aged quite well. It's a comfort food type of game that I can always go back and and fart around in a dungeon or two. The Second Quest however I have not been able to revisit nearly as frequently because it relies so heavily on BS bombable/hidden walls to get around.

I've always overlooked Zelda 1 but BOTW has re ignited a love affair with the series and I think I might take my first serious go at it this year! As soon as I find the time... :(

• Locked thread