Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

SiliconX posted:

I see the obvious question has already been asked so my question then is, "why?" Mods like this seem to usually be a cheap imitation of something else, so what the hell is that even supposed to be?

How are you gonna boot / clamp that car when it's parked sideways across 3 disabled bays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Two BMW technicians cost the car manufacturer 'nearly a million pounds' after going on drugs bender at work causing assembly line to grind to a halt for 40 minutes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4331440/Two-BMW-technicians-cost-car-manufacturer-nearly-1m.html

dailymail, so who knows.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guess they found the exec coke stash, had some(a lot) and tried to flush the rest.

A million pounds (of coke)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

quote:

drugs bender by two technicians whose breaktime marijuana binge

I completely stopped reading after that sentence and decided to look up google news articles of the incident, where ironically, the Daily Mail's article didn't show up in my results. No idea about the credibility of the most credible looking source I could find, but it sounds much more believable than the Mail's version

http://www.dw.com/en/drunken-bmw-workers-disrupt-car-production/a-38029221 posted:

Confirming a report in the German tabloid Bild on Monday, the Munich-based premium carmaker said two of its assembly line workers had collapsed towards the end of their shift earlier this month after drinking "copious amounts of alcohol" and smoking synthetic marijuana.
Other BMW employees had called for an ambulance, which caused production to be suspended for a period of 40 minutes, a BMW spokesman said. The incident resulted in a financial loss "in the five figures," he added.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'll believe the Daily Mail when their front pages states "we're loving bullshit artists and clickbait nonsense masters and our readership are complete idiots"

It'll also be one of very few occasions where they've gotten anything factually accurate.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I work for a teir 2 automotive supplier and the rate we've been informed we will be charged if we cause a line shutdown (specifically at Honda) is $17,000 per minute. That works out to $680k for 40 minutes. Factoring in BMW and the current low value of the pound I wouldn't be surprised if a million pounds isn't far off the mark.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
My company has an entire department dedicated to ensuring the automotive freight we haul is on-time. Any potential plant shutdown and it's all hands on deck to get whatever the issue is resolved ASAP.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I work for a teir 2 automotive supplier and the rate we've been informed we will be charged if we cause a line shutdown (specifically at Honda) is $17,000 per minute. That works out to $680k for 40 minutes. Factoring in BMW and the current low value of the pound I wouldn't be surprised if a million pounds isn't far off the mark.

true but does third shift run at the same pace or even do the same work as 1st/2nd? seems unlikely

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So they drank and smoked weed, and had a whitey. Nice going lads. :rolleyes:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'll believe the Daily Mail when their front pages states "we're loving bullshit artists and clickbait nonsense masters and our readership are complete idiots"

It'll also be one of very few occasions where they've gotten anything factually accurate.
Once again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Plus don't BMW line workers in Germany make stupid good money, like upwards of $60/hour? I can kind of understand pissing away a lovely barely above minimum wage manufacturing job in that manner but not for a position that pays six figures...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geoj posted:

Plus don't BMW line workers in Germany make stupid good money, like upwards of $60/hour? I can kind of understand pissing away a lovely barely above minimum wage manufacturing job in that manner but not for a position that pays six figures...

Haha no. A friend of mine works on the i3 line in Leipzig. He makes maybe half of that.
VW factory workers have a reputation for being grossly overpaid, but I don't know if that's really accurate anymore, either.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TotalLossBrain posted:

Haha no. A friend of mine works on the i3 line in Leipzig. He makes maybe half of that.
VW factory workers have a reputation for being grossly overpaid, but I don't know if that's really accurate anymore, either.
"Overpaid" is as much about what they do as it is about how much they earn...

Also I don't think Leipzig counts

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

One of their gearbox engineers is a friend of mine and earns about 30/hr. I'd be very very very surprised if the line blokes earn more than 15 and if they aren't just salaried tbh. Jag and Aston line earn ~30k for example. BMW pay okay for design consultants though at 60/hr.

E: Euros that is

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 21, 2017

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

InitialDave posted:

So they drank and smoked weed, and had a whitey. Nice going lads. :rolleyes:

Once again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

It said synthetic weed which that poo poo will really do fucky stuff to a person.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bape Culture posted:

One of their gearbox engineers is a friend of mine and earns about 30/hr. I'd be very very very surprised if the line blokes earn more than 15 and if they aren't just salaried tbh. Jag and Aston line earn ~30k for example. BMW pay okay for design consultants though at 60/hr.

This is the article I was thinking of.

Forbes.com posted:

In 2010, Germany produced more than 5.5 million automobiles; the U.S produced 2.7 million. At the same time, the average auto worker in Germany made $67.14 per hour in salary in benefits; the average one in the U.S. made $33.77 per hour. Yet Germany's big three car companies—BMW, Daimler (Mercedes-Benz ), and Volkswagen—are very profitable.

Do German autoworkers get a $30/hour equivalent in benefits that would explain the difference?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geoj posted:

This is the article I was thinking of.

Do German autoworkers get a $30/hour equivalent in benefits that would explain the difference?

probably. american ones used to, too. health, dental, vision for the family, retirement matching, pensions, one of New GM's excuses for weaseling out of old GM's liabilities was senior employees were costing $77/hour after benefits.

American market cars are also stupid cheap. There are obviously lower taxes, but for the price americans pay for the 4.3 second to 60, 175mph scat pack charger in germany, you get a golf GTI performance.or a bmw 320i with 180 SCREAMIN horsepower.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Perversely some places count everything you can possibly claim as benefits, whether or not you take advantage of it. For example I can lease a car through work, they count it as a benefit even though I could finance a BMW for the money they want from me to lease a dull-as-gently caress sub-100hp hatchback.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Edd China leaves Wheeler Dealers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IB15T1LYiY

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So Velocity is going to ruin the show trying to save a dime. Leave it to an American company to buy a golden goose just to cut it open trying to get to the eggs.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I pay $15 more per month on my PS Vue package to get Velocity, almost entirely for Wheeler Dealers. Love that show, mainly for Edd's work in the shop, which has been excellent at showing novice mechanics like my wife and me why he's doing what he's doing and what the function is on a part. That's a bummer, but hey, an extra $15 bucks in my pocket isn't so bad.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Q_res posted:

So Velocity is going to ruin the show trying to save a dime. Leave it to an American company to buy a golden goose just to cut it open trying to get to the eggs.

Well that sucks. One of the few car shows my wife likes. Granted, there were some hokey episodes. But watching Edd actually look like a filthy DIY dealing with oil leaks and rust as the show went on was a pleasure.

Loved the Urraco episode. Not something you see everyday. And crazy how they had the drat thing parked when they picked it up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I liked the TVR episode where mike bought one with a rusty chassis and went to ed and was like "you have to replace the chassis, but not to worry, i got you a new one" and ed was just like

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

KoRMaK posted:

It said synthetic weed which that poo poo will really do fucky stuff to a person.

That piss testing for marijuana led people to use the (faaaaaaaar worse) synthetic stuff is probably somewhere in a textbook under "consequences someone must have seen coming"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ha ha ha nah man it's cool we're just trapped in a dystopian late-capitalist hellscape and even the few escapist opportunities we had are being eliminated, we'll be fine and definitely won't end up killing ourselves, abusing substances, or picking up the tools of our labor and marching off to overthrow the CEOs and bankers ha ha ha ha

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

That piss testing for marijuana led people to use the (faaaaaaaar worse) synthetic stuff is probably somewhere in a textbook under "consequences someone must have seen coming"

Hahaha, as if. DRUGS ARE BAD, FULL STOP. Synthetic stuff doesn't even register because a) it's not poo poo like actual weed (WHICH IS BAD) but also because people who are very against things generally know gently caress all about them.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

:negative:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

ha ha ha nah man it's cool we're just trapped in a dystopian late-capitalist hellscape and even the few escapist opportunities we had are being eliminated, we'll be fine and definitely won't end up killing ourselves, abusing substances, or picking up the tools of our labor and marching off to overthrow the CEOs and bankers ha ha ha ha

Lol if you don't think I'd be still engaging in escapism drug use hunting for mushrooms and plants to smoke if I was a loin clothed cave man

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its me
Im the caveman with munchies that dived headlong into a nightshade bush for berries and died.

*years later*

Its me
Im the modern day man ordering mystery internet powders and shoving them up my butt

*the future*

Its me
Im the post-FtL travel man grinding up and eating the dried glands of sapient pre-technology alien species because i cant sustain an erection

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 22, 2017

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

I remain convinced that Edd and his 1916 Cadillac were Revenge for Brewer turning up with that worthless pile of poo poo Bronco. The guy that sold them that heap of poo poo needs a good swift kick in the beanbag.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its me
Im the caveman with munchies that dived headlong into a nightshade bush for berries and died.

*years later*

Its me
Im the modern day man ordering mystery internet powders and shoving them up my butt

*the future*

Its me
Im the post-FtL travel man grinding up and eating the dried glands of sapient pre-technology alien species because i cant sustain an erection

You mean human horn?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Powershift posted:

I liked the TVR episode where mike bought one with a rusty chassis and went to ed and was like "you have to replace the chassis, but not to worry, i got you a new one" and ed was just like

I might be mistaken but wasn't that the Morgan? Actually went to the factory and they were like "yeah we have those in stock."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

I might be mistaken but wasn't that the Morgan? Actually went to the factory and they were like "yeah we have those in stock."

He did a morgan too, but they got a TVR cerbera and he literally had to rebuild the entire car around a new chassis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-A5PBkV4Cc

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hahaha, as if. DRUGS ARE BAD, FULL STOP. Synthetic stuff doesn't even register because a) it's not poo poo like actual weed (WHICH IS BAD) but also because people who are very against things generally know gently caress all about them.

:chloe:

edit: I didn't realize you were pretending to be the daily mail, carry on.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Colostomy Bag posted:

Loved the Urraco episode. Not something you see everyday. And crazy how they had the drat thing parked when they picked it up.

I kept thinking Mike was dealing with the Polish Mafia (which may or may exist).

"Can I start the car?"
"No."

"Can I move the car?"
"No."

"You buy car or not buy car as is."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This is clearly terrible car stuff, but I also have a question about it. That little chrome thing at the bottom of the pump handle, is that some sort of quick release connector? Has this sort of thing become so common they felt the need to figure out a fix for it?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Quick connects have been there for at least a decade on new pumps.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I have literally never seen one in Australia. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough? The Skyline needs fuel tomorrow, I'll have a good look then, but I'm almost completely sure that they are nothing but black tube from the cable to the bowser.

fake edit:

They just look like that here, with the black tube not stopping until it goes inside the machine.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Most of the hoses here have them all the way at the top of the pump.

Edit: if I'm breaking tables, please let me know. Phone posting.

th vwls hv scpd fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 23, 2017

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Quick connects have been there for at least a decade on new pumps.

I would guess at least 30 years to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI-HK-npZvg

Australian dashcam footage. So many people not understanding the concept of lanes and which direction they should be traveling in those lanes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI-HK-npZvg

Also "You silly person!"