Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Ok just impulse bought fast rmx

Very fun

Although a bit tricky after a bottle of wine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Waltzing Along posted:

Human Resource Machine is breaking my brain. I'm at year 20. I have done everything save one optimization challenge (I need to get my commands from 15 down to 10 somehow...don't remember which year this was. 18 maybe.) Anyway, can someone give me a hint on how to do 20? I can only find solutions online and I don't want a full solution. Just have no idea how to do multiplication using only math and nothing to decipher what the numbers are. Sigh.

Was really enjoying the game up to this point, too.

I've definitely done that level but don't remember it and the machine I played it on is in storage. Can you remind me what the challenge is and which operators you have access to? I can probably give you a hint.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I'm kinda convinced that people who seemingly really hate botw are trolls or that they seriously have something wrong with them? Like the cnet switch reviewer who said the kickstand was terrible, except this time its botw.

making GBS threads on botw is a great way to get a lot of attention with very little effort. I really doubt it's more complicated than that.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

making GBS threads on botw is a great way to get a lot of attention with very little effort. I really doubt it's more complicated than that.

Man, I really hate this meme. I don't think it's good to dismiss criticism in this way.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Did that guy come with an A to C cord? I've got the Anker power bank and apparently the converter cords that came with it are of the "do not use" type, or at least were some months ago.

No, I use a C-to-C cable I got separately; it's also Anker, the braided one

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

Dr Cheeto posted:

Man, I really hate this meme. I don't think it's good to dismiss criticism in this way.

If the criticisms were valid I'd agree with you, but the negative reviews I've seen made it sound like the reviewer hadn't played the game or put a lot of emphasis on minor things while completely ignoring what makes the game great. That combined with the fact you're guaranteed a lot of views makes it really hard not to see it as someone being contrarian in order to attract attention.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

If the criticisms were valid I'd agree with you, but the negative reviews I've seen made it sound like the reviewer hadn't played the game or put a lot of emphasis on minor things while completely ignoring what makes the game great. That combined with the fact you're guaranteed a lot of views makes it really hard not to see it as someone being contrarian in order to attract attention.

Things that are minor things to you might not be minor things to them and they might not enjoy the great things in the game as much. People have different tastes.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The kickstand is kinda bad though t b h

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I'm kinda convinced that people who seemingly really hate botw are trolls or that they seriously have something wrong with them? Like the cnet switch reviewer who said the kickstand was terrible, except this time its botw.

Or maybe some people just like different kinds of video games.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

No Switches at Target this morning :rip:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I submit that the people with negative videos about BoTW made those videos ON PURPOSE.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The kickstand snaps into place and has never fallen over for me, even when I accidentally hit the table it's on. I consider myself a general, average consumer, so I'd like to think I'm treating my electronics pretty normally. Given that, I don't know how nearly any of the problems people have with the Switch come up.

I'm not saying they aren't happening, but with things like the kickstand, what are you doing that is, under normal circumstances, making this stuff happen?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

El Burbo posted:

The kickstand is kinda bad though t b h

True but the video where the guy bullies his Switch over and over is extremely silly

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think we're getting NEO Turf Masters this week.

https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/844519040236204032

Unless that's only in Japan, but even then you can just buy it from the Japan eShop. The other ACA NeoGeo games have been released more or less simultaneously in all regions (except the initial batch were delayed by a week in NA for some reason).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I knocked my switch over imediately the first time I was using the kickstand while setting it up.

But it hasn't really been an issue, it was just kind of funny.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Takoluka posted:

The kickstand snaps into place and has never fallen over for me, even when I accidentally hit the table it's on. I consider myself a general, average consumer, so I'd like to think I'm treating my electronics pretty normally. Given that, I don't know how nearly any of the problems people have with the Switch come up.

I'm not saying they aren't happening, but with things like the kickstand, what are you doing that is, under normal circumstances, making this stuff happen?

Did you not see the Cnet video? The Switch can easily topple over if you smack it hard with a Joycon! Nintendo better get that fixed ASAP and give us early adopters a recall.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Takoluka posted:

It tends to fall over whenever I press the power button in tabletop mode

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Human Resource Machine is breaking my brain. I'm at year 20. I have done everything save one optimization challenge (I need to get my commands from 15 down to 10 somehow...don't remember which year this was. 18 maybe.) Anyway, can someone give me a hint on how to do 20? I can only find solutions online and I don't want a full solution. Just have no idea how to do multiplication using only math and nothing to decipher what the numbers are. Sigh.

Was really enjoying the game up to this point, too.

Use a combination of Add and Bump-, that should help you figure it out without giving it away.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The problem with Zelda reviews and the reactions to them is the same problem the world is currently locked within.
Everyone seems so very polarised on all sides of issues that there are large fragments of ideas and viewpoints that seem to cause friction against others. I wish this wasn't the case. I wish we (the royal we) could be a bit more willing to accept where an idea is not black and white, but many shades of context. Zelda is a small microcosm of it. For some people it truly is the best game ever. For some people it's dumb and bad and nothing compared to previous titles.

Both of these viewpoints are true and the extra curricular fun is supposed to be derived from discussing why one personality thought one way and vice versa. I feel like I say this a lot but I only do it because I want to reinforce the idea that can often be lost.

An attack on a product/idea that you hold dear is not an attack on you as a person. You are not a bad person for loving Zelda. You are not a bad person for hating Zelda.

You are, and always will be, a person. A unique person that has unique experiences in approaching a consumative media. We want to hear these experiences and discuss them.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

VideoGames posted:

The problem with Zelda reviews and the reactions to them is the same problem the world is currently locked within.
Everyone seems so very polarised on all sides of issues that there are large fragments of ideas and viewpoints that seem to cause friction against others. I wish this wasn't the case. I wish we (the royal we) could be a bit more willing to accept where an idea is not black and white, but many shades of context. Zelda is a small microcosm of it. For some people it truly is the best game ever. For some people it's dumb and bad and nothing compared to previous titles.

Both of these viewpoints are true and the extra curricular fun is supposed to be derived from discussing why one personality thought one way and vice versa. I feel like I say this a lot but I only do it because I want to reinforce the idea that can often be lost.

An attack on a product/idea that you hold dear is not an attack on you as a person. You are not a bad person for loving Zelda. You are not a bad person for hating Zelda.

You are, and always will be, a person. A unique person that has unique experiences in approaching a consumative media. We want to hear these experiences and discuss them.

This isn't directed at any specific person, just something that has been bothering me lately due to this thread and the mass effect thread.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

AlphaKeny1 posted:

On March 22, 2017 AlphaKeny1 discovers "opinions"

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Zelda is great but is in no way a perfect game, there, I said it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Takoluka posted:

I consider myself a general, average consumer, so I'd like to think I'm treating my electronics pretty normally. Given that, I don't know how nearly any of the problems people have with the Switch come up.
                                /

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

irlZaphod posted:

I think we're getting NEO Turf Masters this week.

https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/844519040236204032

Unless that's only in Japan, but even then you can just buy it from the Japan eShop. The other ACA NeoGeo games have been released more or less simultaneously in all regions (except the initial batch were delayed by a week in NA for some reason).

Nice, this and Baseball Stars were the two NeoGeo games I actually wanted.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I've been using a standard macbook wall wart and cord for bedside charging and nothing's caught on fire yet so you're probably fine. Someone can yell if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the situation (from having looked into it finding a power bank for said macbook) is that pretty much anything C to C is fine (though it might be slow if it's a comparatively underpowered charger) but there's something with USB A to C cords where you have to do a lot of research to make sure the cord you're buying isn't improperly made in a way that might gently caress your poo poo up.

So if you have an explicit USB C charger you're probably fine, but if you have one of those $5 walgreens USB A car chargers and a $2 A to C cable from whatever the cheapest amazon search was you might want to do some double checking.

Nah, they're good C-C ones. Did my research before I bought them. They had great reviews from the google guy. I have a couple A-C ones that I use for poo poo like updating my ROM and those are fine as well, but probably wouldn't come into play here. They should do it at whatever fast charge thing it expects, I think, but I guess we'll find out.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

I'm glad Etika got a drawing of his waifu

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

VideoGames posted:

Not that I have a problem with your general message here, but I wanted to clarify one point

I know you probably are speaking from the perspective of a mod that has to sift through tons of poo poo here, but criticism doesn't exist solely from the perspective of thinking the game "dumb and bad" or not as good as the previous titles. The only negative responses/critiques I've paid attention to so far are Jim Sterling's, that Super Bunnyhop video there, and my own. And each of us liked the game a lot? Sterlings review still was mostly praise about the gorgeous design, the Bunnyhop video still called it GOTY, and I still am really loving a lot about the game and want to 100% + play the dlc and don't regret it. But we all have our issues, and none of us share much of the same complaints.

What I mean to say is, it feels kinda unfair that even in your generalization up there, you yourself seem to be filtering out sides and think that criticism exists at another end of the spectrum and that we have to reach across a far ways to accept it. Yeah there are people who love it, and there are people who hate it, and that won't change. But there really are people who sit in the middle (like me) and little acknowledgement is given to that, so we end up being pushed to the extreme sides anyways.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ventana posted:

Not that I have a problem with your general message here, but I wanted to clarify one point

I know you probably are speaking from the perspective of a mod that has to sift through tons of poo poo here, but criticism doesn't exist solely from the perspective of thinking the game "dumb and bad" or not as good as the previous titles. The only negative responses/critiques I've paid attention to so far are Jim Sterling's, that Super Bunnyhop video there, and my own. And each of us liked the game a lot? Sterlings review still was mostly praise about the gorgeous design, the Bunnyhop video still called it GOTY, and I still am really loving a lot about the game and want to 100% + play the dlc and don't regret it. But we all have our issues, and none of us share much of the same complaints.

What I mean to say is, it feels kinda unfair that even in your generalization up there, you yourself seem to be filtering out sides and think that criticism exists at another end of the spectrum and that we have to reach across a far ways to accept it. Yeah there are people who love it, and there are people who hate it, and that won't change. But there really are people who sit in the middle (like me) and little acknowledgement is given to that, so we end up being pushed to the extreme sides anyways.

Hello! I understand exactly what you're saying and you are not the sort of person I was referring to. When I said 'some' up above I meant a small fraction. There has been lots of well structured criticism/love in both threads. There has also been quite a deluge of the other kind (again, from a small fraction) in here too as well as other random threads around SA.

I myself have a tendency to be overly positive about things because I genuinely want to experience fun and enjoyment out of anything I choose to spend time on. I don't mean to do this and I am fully aware that its not standard. For someone reading my posts they might get frustrated at that and choose to be overly negative which causes a spiral effect when someone else takes offence.

Like I said, my comments are not directed at one person in particular just that I'd like to see even more of the people who are in the middle of these things. Those who love something and can explain its flaws just like something who hates something but can see some good points are the most interesting things to read and I want so much more of it across Games.

I do apologise if you thought I was being unfair to you personally. It was truly not my intent.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Personally I think I am worth less than a steaming poo poo for having purchased shovel knight, a nostalgia jerk-off retro game for idiot babies that is also fun and good

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Takoluka posted:

But what if something from your entertainment center was to fall on it?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I enjoy Zelda I just don't think it's some amazing life changing game and actually got bored of it half way through because imho the combat is boring and there's no reason to actually do it other than weapons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Speaking of reviews, I just finished Blaster Master Zero and really liked it. Not mind blowing, but a good, solid, fun game. Totally a 7 or 8 or maybe even 9 depending on how you weigh your scale.

It's IGN review really bothered me though. Not it's score, which was a seven. That's fine depending​ on what your scale is like. But its main complaint is the game is just too easy. Towards the end of the review he also complains the is no New Game + mode. That's not compatible with the rest of the review, because there is a new game + mode. You unlock it by getting the true ending and beating area 9.

So for his main complaint about the game being too easy, he never actually beat it or did the final, most difficult world or he would have known there is in fact a New Game + mode.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Second version of my work-in-progress 3D printed grip based on the Steam controller. The Joycon dock lower and deeper into the model. This allows the index fingers to comfortably rest on the trigger buttons. Also, the slight angle allows the thumbs to move more naturally downward.

Still some work to be done. In moving the Joycon dock deeper into the model, the grips aren't as big, so they don't rest on the palms like the original Steam controller does, or how the first version of this grip does. That may be acceptable, though, since now you grip the grip using your fingers, which I think feel pretty good. Might still play around with that design, though. Beyond that, I have to start smoothing out the hard edges. I'm starting to learn Fusion 360, so I'll be able to move on from using the rudimentary Tinkercad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Empress Brosephine posted:

I enjoy Zelda I just don't think it's some amazing life changing game and actually got bored of it half way through because imho the combat is boring and there's no reason to actually do it other than weapons.

Well monster parts for armor upgrades, potions, and monster suits.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Needless grinding imho. Game needed a experience bar and perks to be perfect

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

Needless grinding imho. Game needed a experience bar and perks to be perfect

Oh god no

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The perks are basically your armor set bonuses

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
No game anywhere ever needed an experience bar

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Wheany posted:

/

Marie treats her Switch well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Revol posted:

Second version of my work-in-progress 3D printed grip based on the Steam controller. The Joycon dock lower and deeper into the model. This allows the index fingers to comfortably rest on the trigger buttons. Also, the slight angle allows the thumbs to move more naturally downward.

Still some work to be done. In moving the Joycon dock deeper into the model, the grips aren't as big, so they don't rest on the palms like the original Steam controller does, or how the first version of this grip does. That may be acceptable, though, since now you grip the grip using your fingers, which I think feel pretty good. Might still play around with that design, though. Beyond that, I have to start smoothing out the hard edges. I'm starting to learn Fusion 360, so I'll be able to move on from using the rudimentary Tinkercad.

Now that's cool, dude

• Locked thread