Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Holy poo poo the scene during the credits in tonight's ep of The Mick.

Yeah. This show- this show is going places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

are we not watching Trial and Error in here? It feels like a cross between Arrested Development and Pawnee, IN.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

are we not watching Trial and Error in here? It feels like a cross between Arrested Development and Pawnee, IN.

someone told me it was good, so i got the first two episodes, not watched yet tho

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched the first two eps but don't think I'll be watching more. Good cast but the writing isn't that great or funny imo. Would for sure pick it back up again if I heard it improved, though.

Sherri Shepherd's character especially is just super ultra lame to me.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

BSam posted:

someone told me it was good

It's not. John Lithgow's and Jayma Mays' performances are its only saving grace.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

i won't bother then

i'll just rewatch iron fist again

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Someone edit Jessica Jones into a 2 hour movie

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mu Zeta posted:

tv shows aren't movies

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

TV movies can be good. I like a bunch of the young Indiana Jones adventures that were edited together on the DVD release.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Arist posted:

tv shows aren't movies

Tell that to Strike Back.

Man I miss Strike Back. That show didn't need smart writing or good dialog, they made up for it with gratuitous nudity and firefights.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Nothing like it on TV anymore. Sad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ash v Evil Dead has fun gory action.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Into The Badlands has the best action on television, bar none.

That said, there's usually a handful of shows around that compete. A few years back it was Korra, Spartacus, Banshee and Strike Back.

I'm looking forward to the new show the Banshee guys are making. Warrior, with Justin Lin. Hopefully it goes to series.

quote:

Set against the backdrop of San Francisco’s Chinatown in the aftermath of the Civil War, the story follows a young martial arts prodigy, newly arrived from China, who finds himself caught up in the bloody Chinatown Tong wars. Based on original material written by Bruce Lee.

Plus, there's new Strike Back with Warren Brown.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess I missed the Korra episodes with gratuitous nudity.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

TV movies can be good. I like a bunch of the young Indiana Jones adventures that were edited together on the DVD release.

Those definitely don't count as movies. They aired as completely separate episodes and were only referred to as movies in the marketing materials for the DVDs. It undercuts that show's many achievements to deny its status as a TV show that was well ahead of its time.

However, the DVD cuts are far superior to the TV cuts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

Been watching that lately myself. Sean Patrick Flanery isn't bad. I didn't even think the kid who played 10-year old Indy was terrible. It's a shame that the movies don't get the bookends with George Hall as nonagenarian Indy.

Generally speaking they're fine but I think a lot of the movie edits make it a bit slow. Sometimes they're very well done and it feels fairly natural (e.g. the one where he starts in Istanbul and meets Ataturk, then goes to Venice for his next assignment and moves on to Romania where he meets a Romanian separatist played by Bob motherfucking Peck who claims to be a reincarnated vampire) but then there's others where the episode split is sort of distracting.

Not hard to see why it didn't last, though, because they all look incredibly cinematic for early 1990s TV. There's a lot of 2017 shows that don't even look as good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Been watching that lately myself. Sean Patrick Flanery isn't bad. I didn't even think the kid who played 10-year old Indy was terrible. It's a shame that the movies don't get the bookends with George Hall as nonagenarian Indy.

You can watch them on YouTube. It's like they're out of a completely different, goofier kids show.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not hard to see why it didn't last, though, because they all look incredibly cinematic for early 1990s TV. There's a lot of 2017 shows that don't even look as good.

Much like his next big TV project The Clone Wars, Lucas was paying out of pocket to make the show look as good as he could. Young Indy never really made money because it was just so drat expensive to make, which shows. I doubt The Clone Wars will be rivaled in TV animation for another 20 years either.

I really, really wish that they'd been able to finish season 3 properly, or maybe even get a season 4, because they were planning on shifting the show a little more into where the movies were. You can see that in the last few episodes, specifically Treasure of the Peacock's Eye and Masks of Evil, which brought in treasure hunting and supernatural foes respectively. I would've killed to see a young Belloq on screen at the beginning of their friendship/rivalry.

The fact that Young Indy's production was as globetrotting as it was is incredible, though. That sort of global production for a TV show wouldn't be matched until Game of Thrones more than 20 years later.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

Man I miss Strike Back.

GreenNight posted:

Nothing like it on TV anymore. Sad.

http://deadline.com/2016/12/strike-back-reboot-series-cinemax-sky-cast-alin-sumarwata-daniel-macpherson-1201867058/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Why did they even cancel it then? The original cast wanted to make more seasons, as did the showrunner.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

Much like his next big TV project The Clone Wars, Lucas was paying out of pocket to make the show look as good as he could. Young Indy never really made money because it was just so drat expensive to make, which shows. I doubt The Clone Wars will be rivaled in TV animation for another 20 years either.

I remember how for a good few years after Revenge of the Sith came out there'd be regular updates on starwars.com (dutifully reported by Wookieepedia) about the Star Wars live-action TV series that was definitely going to happen; it was going to bridge the gap between the prequels and the originals, it was going to include young Boba Fett in its ensemble cast, it was going to be produced by Rick McCallum, it would have at least 100 episodes.

And it probably would have been the most expensive TV series ever made.

quote:

I really, really wish that they'd been able to finish season 3 properly, or maybe even get a season 4, because they were planning on shifting the show a little more into where the movies were. You can see that in the last few episodes, specifically Treasure of the Peacock's Eye and Masks of Evil, which brought in treasure hunting and supernatural foes respectively. I would've killed to see a young Belloq on screen at the beginning of their friendship/rivalry.

Who would've been a good Belloq in the mid 1990s? Presuming you'd be setting it in maybe the late 1920s / early 1930s, it would probably have to be someone around 10-15 years younger than Paul Freeman (i.e. same approximate age as Flanery, maybe a bit older). Somebody like Paul McGann or Bruce Payne maybe.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think there are union rules saying their pay keeps going up every season. With a new cast of british and aussie newcomers they can pay them dirt cheap fees again.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah that reeks of it being a financial cancellation.

Can't say it couldn't have used a refresher though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

We've finally come full circle from people saying that every film adaptation would work better as a miniseries.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guy Mann posted:

We've finally come full circle from people saying that every film adaptation would work better as a miniseries.

Oh I don't think this is at all the first time something has been criticized for being given the wrong treatment in terms of runtime. I'm very happy to tell anyone who will listen that The Hobbit really shouldn't have been very nearly 8 hours (over 9 if you watch the extended ones) of movie. An extreme example, yes, but pacing in an adaptation is extremely important.

That being said I'm not familiar with the JJ source material, but whatever the show was based on, for the half season of it I watched, didn't seem to demand the runtime it got. At least for me, I'm not trying to dunk on people that liked it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but it's really weird/amusing seeing "Jessica Jones is the first show to show how invasive and long lasting in all aspects of life abuse is" followed up by "it should be cut down to something I can watch in one sitting.".

I'm not judging.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Leave Roy Thomas alone, he's just a confused old man.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dave Chapelle has two new comedy specials up on Netflix.

The first one was ok.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I think one of my personal reasons for not being on board with Jessica Jones is that I have a distaste for dramas with dialogue that doesn't sound anything like how people actually talk, which imo every Marvel Netflix show has in spades. There are exceptions if it's stylised in a way I enjoy, ala something like This Is Us or Hannibal, but the dialogue in Marvel shows doesn't really have a style to me, it's just uber-bland. This is why I don't really watch a lot of network dramas tbh - the dialogue tends to be so much more about moving plot forward than ringing true. Plus the whole thing of characters acting stupid to service the plot (unrelated but this is why Get Out is like the best horror movie in years)

I'm watching through Sopranos for the first time (I know, I know, only watched episodes here and there before), and the dialogue there is so perfect for how it circumvents the problem you mentioned. These people NEVER talk about how they're really feeling, it's all implied, and plot happens by action suggested by psychology and previous patterns.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember how for a good few years after Revenge of the Sith came out there'd be regular updates on starwars.com (dutifully reported by Wookieepedia) about the Star Wars live-action TV series that was definitely going to happen; it was going to bridge the gap between the prequels and the originals, it was going to include young Boba Fett in its ensemble cast, it was going to be produced by Rick McCallum, it would have at least 100 episodes.

And it probably would have been the most expensive TV series ever made.

100 scripts were in development, a large number of them fully written and multiple drafts in, Disney has acknowledged that they exist but are not actively developing them, as the series would be too expensive. Even Lucas-era Lucasfilm was waiting a few more years for technology to get cheap enough for them to make the show.

Kennedy has come out and suggested that the stories still have a future. There have been rumors that the new storygroup is planning on cannibalizing them or using them as launching points for spinoff stories - specifically that the Boba Fett movie. I think it's great that so much Lucas-developed material is able to be drawn upon for a new canon, means that some future material will be less derivative than it would be otherwise.

Young Indy also had a number of scripts written that didn't go into production. I hope some day these scripts leak, or have some sort of a future. I'd love a Young Indy animated show that picks up where the actual show left off. It would even start at the perfect place: Indy going to college and discovering his love for archeology.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 22, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

whowhatwhere posted:

Surely the TVIV hivemind isn't so narrow as to only be able to come up with nerd shows?!

There's not a super prominent analogue I can think of, however. Closest I can think of is Happy Valley, which is brilliant but not really the same (doesn't really get into the twisted sense of guilt for having suffered the abuse which was to my mind the core of JJ's examination).

Top of the Lake

Then it makes EVERYONE abused

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shameless doesn't really deal with physical abuse but there's a whole lot there about the long term affects and consequences of psychological and emotional abuse. And its never like spelled out like that, its just watching these kids constantly gently caress up and make bad decisions or lose it because of all the poo poo their parents put them through.

Like, I just finished S5 in my binge and one of the more troubling stories is in that season is 14-year-old Debra deciding to get intentionally pregnant after hearing her boyfriend's sister-in-law tell her how their family embraced her when she got pregnant and it was the loving and supportive family she always wanted. They never flat out spell out she's trying to trap her boyfriend so she can escape her family and get the perfect stable family she never had but its all there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but it's really weird/amusing seeing "Jessica Jones is the first show to show how invasive and long lasting in all aspects of life abuse is" followed up by "it should be cut down to something I can watch in one sitting.".

I'm not judging.

I think this was a reference to the recent editing down of Breaking Bad into a 2 hour movie by someone.

Shageletic posted:

I'm watching through Sopranos for the first time (I know, I know, only watched episodes here and there before), and the dialogue there is so perfect for how it circumvents the problem you mentioned. These people NEVER talk about how they're really feeling, it's all implied, and plot happens by action suggested by psychology and previous patterns.

Sopranos is my favourite show and I totally agree :)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

I think this was a reference to the recent editing down of Breaking Bad into a 2 hour movie by someone.

I heard about this, and my post was in reference to the fact that it was a terrible idea. My favorite episodes of both Breaking Bad and Jessica Jones aren't focused on plot, they're ones where they mix things up for an episode. You can't do that with a movie and it's part of what makes television valuable. It's part of how people who are trying to use TV to tell a really long movie are kind of missing the point.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

IRQ posted:

Tell that to Strike Back.

Man I miss Strike Back. That show didn't need smart writing or good dialog, they made up for it with gratuitous nudity and firefights.
So Spartacus/Banshee?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll say Spartacus actually had some good writing and acting hiding under the over the top violence and sex. Starz shows seem good at that kind of thing as its very similar to how Black Sails is deceptively good underneath the obvious stuff.

Cinemax shows like Banshee and Strike Back are all guns and fighting and sex and while its fun to watch I don't really miss it when its done. There's always more of that in tvs and movies.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Black Sails doesn't fall under what I was talking about at all, no. I love Black Sails for totally different reasons than I ever liked Strike Back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh yeah Tuco especially is the exception there. Would have to go back and check to say more about Skinny Pete and Badger.

Skinny Pete is absolutely not a "cartoon character", go to any small town in Tennessee and drive through the Wal-Mart parking lot and you'll see 20 Skinny Petes buying meth. The only thing cartoonish is that he's secretly a great piano player.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

Black Sails doesn't fall under what I was talking about at all, no. I love Black Sails for totally different reasons than I ever liked Strike Back.

But Black Sails has the same kind of "sex and violence" level that kind of hides the fact that its actually a pretty well written and compelling character piece. Which is also how I'd describe Spartacus.

Although Spartacus certainly had MORE of the sex and violence to the point where a lot of people watched it JUST for that the same way Strike Back or Banshee work.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I heard about this, and my post was in reference to the fact that it was a terrible idea. My favorite episodes of both Breaking Bad and Jessica Jones aren't focused on plot, they're ones where they mix things up for an episode. You can't do that with a movie and it's part of what makes television valuable. It's part of how people who are trying to use TV to tell a really long movie are kind of missing the point.

Yeah I agree it's dumb as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Skinny Pete is absolutely not a "cartoon character", go to any small town in Tennessee and drive through the Wal-Mart parking lot and you'll see 20 Skinny Petes buying meth. The only thing cartoonish is that he's secretly a great piano player.

And that's not even much of a cartoonish thing. I'm sure his parents paid for lessons when he was a kid and he just still retains a lot of that when he grew up and became a junky. You find people like that all over the place, who used to explore their talents before drugs took over their lives.

• Locked thread