Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Condiv posted:

uh

did you just watch the same ad I did? that's not trapping anyone

dems: if ahca passes, you might have to sell your car or your wedding ring to care for your kid! yeah you might have to do that under ppaca too, but ahca is bad because *REASON NOT INCLUDED IN COMMERCIAL*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

uh

did you just watch the same ad I did? that's not trapping anyone

weirdly their campaign strategy wasn't just summed up in a 30 second spot about healthcare.

they're gonna poo poo on the gop for proposing terrible policies and also for being incompetent at governing/ineffective. it's the most obvious strategy on the planet. pelosi was already out there doing literally both of those things yesterday

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 14:19 on Mar 22, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Concerned Citizen posted:

weirdly their campaign strategy wasn't just summed up in a 30 second spot about healthcare.

they're gonna poo poo on the gop for proposing terrible policies and also for being incompetent at governing/ineffective. pelosi was already out there doing literally both of those things yesterday

lol that's a poo poo strategy, it's the exact one they tried in the election!

"look at how bad these repubs are! what am I gonna do instead? nevermind that, look at how bad those repubs are!"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

lol that's a poo poo strategy, it's the exact one they tried in the election!

"look at how bad these repubs are! what am I gonna do instead? nevermind that, look at how bad those repubs are!"

i mean if you want me to disagree with you that dems need to provide a more positive message, i'm sorry to say i won't. but they're going to leave that for the candidates rather than project that on a party-wide basis.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

here's a new campaign slogan for the dems which is as witty as the dems are!

"dems rule republicans drool"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i mean if you want me to disagree with you that dems need to provide a more positive message, i'm sorry to say i won't. but they're going to leave that for the candidates rather than project that on a party-wide basis.

no i'm saying the dems need a message other than republicans suck. also, lol at leaving it to individual dems to get the message out about why republicans suck

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

no i'm saying the dems need a message other than republicans suck. also, lol at leaving it to individual dems to get the message out about why republicans suck

well that's what i mean. dems should have a message that points to a particular future we want to see, not just protecting the status quo. it's hard to build a party brand around "everything is good, except for the things we didn't fix yet." but they're not going to do that because it's hard to get dems to come together on policy without a sitting president to be the spokesperson for it. it's hard to present "the democratic plan" when you have 10 guys on the left saying the plan doesn't go far enough and 10 guys on the right saying the plan is left-wing garbage

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the plan needs either more or less bernie

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
fewer bernie?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

well that's what i mean. dems should have a message that points to a particular future we want to see, not just protecting the status quo. it's hard to build a party brand around "everything is good, except for the things we didn't fix yet." but they're not going to do that because it's hard to get dems to come together on policy without a sitting president to be the spokesperson for it. it's hard to present "the democratic plan" when you have 10 guys on the left saying the plan doesn't go far enough and 10 guys on the right saying the plan is left-wing garbage

hmm, we just had a sitting president for 8 years. one who refused to be the spokesperson for anything. it sounds to me like the dems need to get a message without a president, cause they're certainly not getting another pres without a message

they've already got a senator sending out a clear and strong message, and he's the most popular politician in america! sounds like they've got everything they need, a message and a spokesperson for it, but they refuse to adopt that message in lieu of deafening silence

of course, it's because centrists don't like that message, but they had 8 years to forge their own and they sat with their thumbs up their asses

Condiv has issued a correction as of 14:35 on Mar 22, 2017

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

FactsAreUseless posted:

Republicans: We'll do whatever the gently caress we want and you can suck our drat dicks and the people will love us.

Democrats: Two wrongs do NOT make a right.

Democrats: When they go low, we go high! :laugh:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

they're gonna poo poo on the gop for proposing terrible policies and also for being incompetent at governing/ineffective. it's the most obvious strategy on the planet. pelosi was already out there doing literally both of those things yesterday

well i for one am glad to see that the next 8 years are republican led

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

hmm, we just had a sitting president for 8 years. one who refused to be the spokesperson for anything. it sounds to me like the dems need to get a message without a president, cause they're certainly not getting another pres without a message

well that's not true that obama "refused to be a spokesperson for anything," but anyway yes i agree dems need a more concrete message. but their approach is a district-by-district one, tailoring a message to particular geographic and political realities. that's (probably) actually a good approach in the short term for maximizing seats in a given election, but not really great for the party's health overall. but the entire system is setup to incentivize that sort of strategy, since "how did we perform in the election" is the most salient metric that anyone can be held accountable to.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

well that's not true that obama "refused to be a spokesperson for anything," but anyway yes i agree dems need a more concrete message. but their approach is a district-by-district one, tailoring a message to particular geographic and political realities. that's (probably) actually a good approach in the short term for maximizing seats in a given election, but not really great for the party's health overall. but the entire system is setup to incentivize that sort of strategy, since "how did we perform in the election" is the most salient metric that anyone can be held accountable to.

set up to incentivize this strategy? maximizes wins? since what election? this isn't a new strategy and we've been bleeding seats for 8 years. also, dems are not being held accountable to that most salient metric, since if they were we'd have seen a change in direction instead of dems pretending nothing happened.

also, please don't pretend obama used the bully pulpit effectively. as far as presidents go, he was one of the most silent.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
These people have not only been thrown out, they still hold power and influence.

https://twitter.com/sarahcasiano/status/844537287375572994

And that's example 1,000,000 why anything the dem establishment or their sycophants, including the ones in this thread, says should be met with distrust and disdain.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

lol, donna brazile staying prominent is a big sign to progressives telling them the party will not cater to them ever

the dems will cheat and lie as necessary to avoid embracing leftism

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Condiv posted:

here's a new campaign slogan for the dems which is as witty as the dems are!

"dems rule republicans drool"

All this slogan does is remind me that dems rule nothing and have zero power. So they'll probably go with it.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

set up to incentivize this strategy? maximizes wins? since what election? this isn't a new strategy and we've been bleeding seats for 8 years.

the dem campaign apparatus is setup around the principles that 1. partisan preferences are sticky, 2. the same seats/states are usually competitive every cycle, and 3. largely the same people tend to turnout to vote. there's a standard suite of tools used - paid media, earned media, digital, field, etc - and within that narrow scope, the dccc/dscc tend to do a decent to good job. the gop largely follows the same pattern. but those tools are marginal when it comes to moving the needle. and if one of those principles is wrong, the effects can be unpredictable. (i.e. 2016)

it's a strategy to win races that are likely to be close, but it does not do a good job at shaping the overall electoral landscape that produces winnable races. because this approach requires a lot of money, and since the party funding every race is not feasible, it means the dccc's #1 criterion when recruiting candidates is fundraising ability. most candidates that fundraise well look pretty similar to each other - business or non-profit background, somewhat polished, connected, moderate-to-liberal views.

so the party is in a bit of a rut when it comes to messaging. it would be nice if everyone could come together for a message around a common proposal, but the reality is that any proposal that could get enough elected dems to coalesce around it without a president or presidential candidate would be banal and ineffective.

quote:

also, please don't pretend obama used the bully pulpit effectively. as far as presidents go, he was one of the most silent.

i mean this is just objectively not true. it only seems that way because his presidency was overshadowed by the presidential election in 2015-2016, but that is common at the end of a 2 term presidency. regardless, it's not 1939, the bully pulpit doesn't mean the same thing it used to mean. the president has extraordinary power to elevate issues, but it's very hard to push a message when 1 minute of speaking produces 30 minutes of muddled analysis on any given subject.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 15:11 on Mar 22, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:cry: "It's haaard to set a message!" :cry:

Well then get the gently caress out of politics

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

SirPhoebos posted:

:cry: "It's haaard to set a message!" :cry:

Well then get the gently caress out of politics

it's not hard to set a message, it's definitely hard to set a compelling national message that plays in every competitive district in the country. which is why the party tends to go district-by-district.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

it's not hard to set a message, it's definitely hard to set a compelling national message that plays in every competitive district in the country. which is why the party tends to go district-by-district.

Setting a national message is their loving job if they want to lead a national party.

So far, this district-by-district poo poo has resulted in Dems losing ground everywhere. It's time they re-evaluate that, and maybe not put some weaksause fund-babby up against Marco Rubio next time.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

No they're not

Dude the Dems have failed everything they ever set out to do :psyduck:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

but there's a lot of low-hanging fruit that would play well everywhere that the dems never go for, is the problem. the whole issue with the district-by-district strategy is that the democrats get lost in the weeds of trying to appeal on very specific issues to very specific people instead of having huge central issues at the center of the message and then addressing smaller concerns on a district-by-district basis. as a result, the democratic party as a whole stands for nothing. people vote based on self-interest but also ideology; the bad dems are dedicated to the fiction of "ideology? we don't have one!" so voters are left with nothing but self-interest. which is effective, but also can be overridden by ideology.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

SirPhoebos posted:

Setting a national message is their loving job if they want to lead a national party.

So far, this district-by-district poo poo has resulted in Dems losing ground everywhere. It's time they re-evaluate that, and maybe not put some weaksause fund-babby up against Marco Rubio next time.

well that's the issue, isn't it? no one really leads the national party in a year without a president. creating a national message requires consensus that isn't going to happen except around boring, non-controversial issues. so we're going to get grab bags of policies that poll well instead. and that's not really great, but without radical transformation of the party it probably won't change.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

No they're not

Dude the Dems have failed everything they ever set out to do :psyduck:

But CC can assure us that they really thought they were being smart when they did it!

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

"We can't do our job because we're bad at it"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

well that's the issue, isn't it? no one really leads the national party in a year without a president. creating a national message requires consensus that isn't going to happen except around boring, non-controversial issues. so we're going to get grab bags of policies that poll well instead. and that's not really great, but without radical transformation of the party it probably won't change.

Good thing the DNC is doing everything in their power to resist even minor changes!

Literally the only thing Obama has done related to politics since leaving the presidency is to make sure Perez was installed as DNC chair to make sure a spooky progressive didn't get it.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/844553163738927105

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

The Brown Menace posted:

"We can't do our job because we're bad at it"

hosed up but true.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/844554782794829824

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Jazerus posted:

but there's a lot of low-hanging fruit that would play well everywhere that the dems never go for, is the problem. the whole issue with the district-by-district strategy is that the democrats get lost in the weeds of trying to appeal on very specific issues to very specific people instead of having huge central issues at the center of the message and then addressing smaller concerns on a district-by-district basis. as a result, the democratic party as a whole stands for nothing. people vote based on self-interest but also ideology; the bad dems are dedicated to the fiction of "ideology? we don't have one!" so voters are left with nothing but self-interest. which is effective, but also can be overridden by ideology.

well first, most people don't vote on ideology. most people don't even have an ideology. but yes, you're right that the dem party stands for nothing. i mean, anyone can be a member of the democratic party and they can't be kicked out. alan dershowitz says he a dem, even if he agrees with the dem party on exactly nothing. if trump became a democrat tomorrow, no one could tell him he wasn't. in some aspect this is unavoidable, and in some ways the party could do a much better job of branding itself. right now, it doesn't do that well and i agree with those criticisms of the party.

anyway, a lot of stuff is "low-hanging fruit" that polls well everywhere, and dems have tried it. see this nyt story from dec 2013:

quote:

WASHINGTON — Democratic Party leaders, bruised by months of attacks on the new health care program, have found an issue they believe can lift their fortunes both locally and nationally in 2014: an increase in the minimum wage.

The effort to take advantage of growing populism among voters in both parties is being coordinated by officials from the White House, labor unions and liberal advocacy groups.

In a series of strategy meetings and conference calls among them in recent weeks, they have focused on two levels: an effort to raise the federal minimum wage, which will be pushed by President Obama and congressional leaders, and a campaign to place state-level minimum wage proposals on the ballot in states with hotly contested congressional races.

With polls showing widespread support for an increase in the $7.25-per-hour federal minimum wage among both Republican and Democratic voters, top Democrats see not only a wedge issue that they hope will place Republican candidates in a difficult position, but also a tool with which to enlarge the electorate in a nonpresidential election, when turnout among minorities and youths typically drops off.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/30/us/politics/democrats-turn-to-minimum-wage-as-2014-strategy.html

and so they did - raise the minimum wage ads all over the place. everyone liked it, everywhere. we used it everywhere. but it turns out that things that are well-liked doesn't always move voters. the composition of the message isn't really as important as the entire story that's being driven, and it's hard to create a story on a national basis when you have a lot of people in your own party who will be forced by either their personal beliefs or electoral considerations to run away from parts of that story.

our apparatus is really good at driving specific messages within a narrow context, but it has struggled to perform in races that need very different approaches to be winnable. we tend to have cookie-cutter approaches that simply alter the composition of issues per district that we use and slap them on bland candidates that are similar to all the other candidates we run. it's not really a great approach even if it's effective in specific contexts.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

haaaaahahahahahahaha

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

lol that owns

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Resume checkmark achieved.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Am I missing something or are they not even pretending to say what those achievements are?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

why can't "full communism now" be played everywhere

everyone wants full communism now

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

well first, most people don't vote on ideology. most people don't even have an ideology. but yes, you're right that the dem party stands for nothing. i mean, anyone can be a member of the democratic party and they can't be kicked out. alan dershowitz says he a dem, even if he agrees with the dem party on exactly nothing. if trump became a democrat tomorrow, no one could tell him he wasn't. in some aspect this is unavoidable, and in some ways the party could do a much better job of branding itself. right now, it doesn't do that well and i agree with those criticisms of the party.

anyway, a lot of stuff is "low-hanging fruit" that polls well everywhere, and dems tried it. see this nyt story from dec 2013:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/30/us/politics/democrats-turn-to-minimum-wage-as-2014-strategy.html

and so they did - raise the minimum wage ads all over the place. everyone liked it, everywhere. we used it everywhere. but it turns out that things that are well-liked doesn't always move voters.

our apparatus is really good at driving specific messages within a narrow context, but it has struggled to perform in races that need very different approaches to be winnable. we tend to have cookie-cutter approaches that simply alter the composition of issues per district that we use and slap them on bland candidates that are similar to all the other candidates we run. it's not really a great approach even if it's effective in specific contexts.

lol, did the dems actuall try to raise the minimum wage everywhere? cause they resisted raising it in a lot of places

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Guys, there's no way Chelsea Clinton would get involved in politics and you're just crazy if that's a thing you're worried about. And Hillary will surely not even consider running or trying to influence who runs in the 2020 presidential primaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Samurai Sanders posted:

Am I missing something or are they not even pretending to say what those achievements are?

1) isnt george w bush

• Locked thread