Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
fakest of edits:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286440

There's a PowerShell thread in the Cavern of Cobol but it's pretty low traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just a random thought that I'd like to bounce off people - which is that Mimecast is not worth putting in front of Office 365 if your only reason for doing it is to improve availability. Since you aren't really adding resiliency in the same way as having multiple servers behind a load balancer, you're just substituting one set of MX records for another, then your best case scenario for availability becomes whatever Mimecast's is. And in the worst case scenario aren't you just doubling your total annual outage duration, assuming both products have the same SLA?

Am I missing something here? I can't think of a situation where the uptime stats for Mimecast are going to be higher than Office 365 or G Suite. Especially as anecdotally I have witnessed a Mimecast 'not an outage honest' that slowed down mail delivery, but haven't had the same issue across multiple Office 365 tenants.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

Just a random thought that I'd like to bounce off people - which is that Mimecast is not worth putting in front of Office 365 if your only reason for doing it is to improve availability. Since you aren't really adding resiliency in the same way as having multiple servers behind a load balancer, you're just substituting one set of MX records for another, then your best case scenario for availability becomes whatever Mimecast's is. And in the worst case scenario aren't you just doubling your total annual outage duration, assuming both products have the same SLA?

Am I missing something here? I can't think of a situation where the uptime stats for Mimecast are going to be higher than Office 365 or G Suite. Especially as anecdotally I have witnessed a Mimecast 'not an outage honest' that slowed down mail delivery, but haven't had the same issue across multiple Office 365 tenants.
Maybe you prefer Mimecast's filtering to Microsoft's?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I wouldn't use the e-mail continuity service with Office 365, but if you prefer their archiving and filtering services over the ones built in to O365, that could be worthwhile.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Fool posted:

I wouldn't use the e-mail continuity service with Office 365, but if you prefer their archiving and filtering services over the ones built in to O365, that could be worthwhile.
You can do journaling in Mimecast and still keep your O365 MX record.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In fairness I hadn't thought about the filtering. I know the Microsoft one used to be terrible on the older BPOS service when I first evaluated it against Google Apps, but I couldn't pick a winner between what comes with the major :yaycloud: providers now - as long as you've sorted out SPF/DKIM/DMARC etc. I could see value in being able to tweak Mimecast policies in terms of accepting mail that would otherwise be filtered if you have clients with poorly configured email servers and people yelling at you to make it work.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 22, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

In fairness I hadn't thought about the filtering. I know the Microsoft one used to be terrible on the older BPOS service when I first evaluated it against Google Apps, but I couldn't pick a winner between what comes with the major :yaycloud: providers now - as long as you've sorted out SPF/DKIM/DMARC etc. I could see value in being able to tweak Mimecast policies in terms of accepting mail that would otherwise be filtered if you have clients with poorly configured email servers and people yelling at you to make it work.
Something like Mimecast could also be useful if you're switching between different email providers, like an internal Exchange server to Office 365/G Suite.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sunblood posted:

A ticket came in: "Please see attached spreadsheet. Users listed should be the only members of Security Group X. Please add and remove members as necessary."
Attached spreadsheet has over 1000 names on it. Security Group X already has 600 members, half of whom are not on the spreadsheet. T1 helpdesk does not have access to scripting tools that would make this process extremely simple, so they forward the task to the server admins. Admins send it back to T1 stating "Helpdesk has access to perform this change." I reply back, "Hey guys, we will have to dedicate multiple man hours to updating this group, introducing a thousand instances of potential human error, instead of having someone write a 5-minute script to take care of it instantly."

Guess who won that argument...

An update to office 365 will create a new group for each manager will all of their managed by users if certain requirements are met. These groups will not automatically updated if new managed by users are added or removed.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lampey posted:

These groups will not automatically updated if new managed by users are added or removed.

Typical

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

thebigcow posted:

fakest of edits:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286440

There's a PowerShell thread in the Cavern of Cobol but it's pretty low traffic.
Eh even if it's a dead thread, it is a great place to start, thank you!

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Eh even if it's a dead thread, it is a great place to start, thank you!

Wouldn't call it dead, just not as active as these threads.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah. There's not a lot of idle conversation, but there are enough people that have it bookmarked that questions get answered fairly quickly.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

ticket posted:

I'm going to contact BMW to get their help but wondered if you have any suggestions. The problem is that I can't read the body of a plain text email in the car. I can read the body of some emails - those that aren't plain text. I'll forward one of the emails that I can read in a moment. If you have any thoughts as to why l would be very grateful.
Why would you want to set up email on your car?
Why does this feature exist?

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

A really effective way to reduce the population issue?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

bitterandtwisted posted:

Text to speech bruh.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 22, 2017

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Test.to.speach.bee are ue atche.

Ever listen to someone visually impared use something like jaws or magic (when they work :newlol:)? If they've been using it for a while they'll have the speed turned up so high it's barely understandable.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm baffled that any kind of email reader, speech-to-text or not, would handle rich text parts but not plain text :psyduck:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I'm baffled that any kind of email reader, speech-to-text or not, would handle rich text parts but not plain text :psyduck:

It's a high end BMW, only rich text need apply.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A new ticket came in:

Hi, I cant remember my password. Here are the instructions I received:
1. Go to the Supplier site log in page <redacted>.
2. Enter your Login ID: <redacted>
3. If you have forgotten your password, you can click on the ‘forgot password’ link.

My response was "Please refer to the instructions that you were provided" then I closed the ticket.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Today's fun is Firefox 52 doesn't automatically fill username/passwords on insecure sites. Oh man are the users raging.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oh poo poo.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
SSL will never properly gain traction until the SEO types who warn about the handshake protocol affecting results shut the gently caress up.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Heard about that in the Schadenfreude thread:

Parts Kit posted:

Some of you guys may have noticed Firefox is now warning you if a login username/password box is not protected by encryption. If you haven't seen it, Firefox is putting a little pop up on the boxes like the little hover tool-tips you see for image alt-text and so on.

A website operator had complaints about their insecure login page from its users and in turn complained to Mozilla about it, saying in part: "Please remove it immediately. We have our own security system, and it has never been breached in more than 15 years. Your notice is causing concern by our subscribers and is detrimental to our business."

They've been hacked into oblivion.

MisterOblivious posted:

"Even good 'ol Netscape warns you!
Let this one sink in: A 20 year old browser is telling users not input any credentials into this website due to lack of encryption."

If you understand nerd talk the reddit thread Ars linked to is great.

"It's fully vulnerable to SQL injection. Just put a ' in the login form and you get a pretty ASP.NET debug stack trace."

"Their database is broken now, somebody dropped their users-table which was vulnerable to SQL injection... Via the login form." "Haha, yep. The OGIUser table seems to be gone." "To be fair, that's probably the nicest way to gently caress them over, rather than just stealing user data, at least this way now no one is vulnerable to getting their user/pass stolen."

"Their subscription registration page (conveniently named "SSL_Subscribe\subscribe_us.aspx") in fact does not use SSL and sends credit card information unencrypted over the wire.
A note at the bottom reads "All credit card information is encrypted using our Secure Transaction Server." Who needs SSL when you have STS?"

:laffo::laffo:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bob Morales posted:

Today's fun is Firefox 52 doesn't automatically fill username/passwords on insecure sites. Oh man are the users raging.

Is this what my mom has been panic calling me about all week? She insists her "fox fire" has a virus on both the desktop and laptop. I assumed it was something like this, is there a way to disable that poo poo? It's really freaking her out and I'm not sure I'll be able to convince her it's because the site isn't using https.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pixaal posted:

Is this what my mom has been panic calling me about all week? She insists her "fox fire" has a virus on both the desktop and laptop. I assumed it was something like this, is there a way to disable that poo poo? It's really freaking her out and I'm not sure I'll be able to convince her it's because the site isn't using https.

There is no way to disable this. That's kind of the point.

Chrome will also warn either in the current version or one of the very soon to be released versions IIRC and Microsoft plans to add it to Edge by next year.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

hihifellow posted:

Ever listen to someone visually impared use something like jaws or magic (when they work :newlol:)? If they've been using it for a while they'll have the speed turned up so high it's barely understandable.

One of my friends is blind, and I see her put her phone up next to her ear and rapidfire gibberish comes out, but she understands it all. It's amazing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The good news is this will very quickly flush out all the awful unencrypted sites when their admins* inevitably raise hell and attract the gleeful hordes. If that was the strategy then it's already paying off handsomely.

*dumbass business owners who hired the cheapest web devs they could find / cajole / bribe with balloons and amusement park rides and who are now a million miles away and there is no hope of them ever fixing the site

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I understand where Chrome/Firefox are coming from but man it makes it a pain in the dick for the users on websites where the vendor isn't going to change poo poo.

IT USED TO WORK WHY DID YOU BREAK IT

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

fishmech posted:

There is no way to disable this. That's kind of the point.

Chrome will also warn either in the current version or one of the very soon to be released versions IIRC and Microsoft plans to add it to Edge by next year.

I do get that it's the point, the only site she's mentioned it come up on is her work email. She also thinks her work email might have a virus. Trying to explain this away to non technical person is just a headache. I'll gladly take a look because I'm not a jerk, and I also will get a free meal. I understand pushing sites to actually use SSL as this will turn users away it's just a problem I see coming up every week until her work fixes their poo poo which they probably never will.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Our Microsoft licenses were up for renewal, so I contacted the company that handles those for a quote. After three weeks of pestering them, I finally got the quote. I shot off a PO to get the process started and after another week, I was informed that they would have to update the information on the account from my predecessor to me, and that it would take a little time. I told them to please do it as fast as possible because our licenses were approaching expiration and we needed this done.

Another two weeks of pestering and they finally send the agreement to my tech. Fine, whatever, we both order stuff so they probably just got the emails mixed up. I log in to volume licensing to sign the agreement and holy poo poo they have set up my technician as the representative for our district. They've taken so long to get this done that I can't wait for this to be corrected without losing access to O365 so it looks like he's the rep the for the next year.

I hate this company so goddamn much but my predecessor signed a three year contract with them before he left.

Desk scotch is my only savior.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Client facing Slack channels continue to be a source of both amusement (to me) and embarrassment (to my boss)

:supaburn: (client): We're doing a (totally unsupported by the vendor) SQL upgrade and need $vendor_services shutdown on $vendor_appliances so we can do the upgrade. Please leave the servers on
:downs: (coworker): Okay I shut down the servers and let you know when they've stopped responding to pings
:supaburn: Why did you shut down the servers, they're supposed to be left on!!!

Thankfully I'm on site at said client so I go up to turn on said servers. Find that they're somehow in sleep mode/frozen so I reboot them.

:downs: Okay the servers are back on. I shut down $vendor_services and SQL
:supaburn: Part of the upgrade is SQL, please stop shutting things down
Me: ::aaaaa:

This client is hard to deal with at the best of times, this is going to make things worse. My coworker is like "well I hope this doesn't make him mad". Of course not, why would you cutting their upgrade window short by a half hour and possibly screwing up the upgrade make him mad?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

I understand where Chrome/Firefox are coming from but man it makes it a pain in the dick for the users on websites where the vendor isn't going to change poo poo.

IT USED TO WORK WHY DID YOU BREAK IT

If it pushes people towards vendors that do crazy futuristic things like protecting logins with SSL then it has achieved its goal.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

My face when someone finds poo poo I did basically in my spare time useful: :3:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Why are they doing a fire drill in the middle of the day with no preparation?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Why are they doing a fire drill in the middle of the day with no preparation?

That's the point of a fire drill though

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Firefox still lists the login under the warning and fills in if you click on it. Am I missing something, or are people freaking out because it takes an extra mouse click?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

thebigcow posted:

Firefox still lists the login under the warning and fills in if you click on it. Am I missing something, or are people freaking out because it takes an extra mouse click?

Because if you tell an average computer user "entering your password here means hackers are probably gonna get it" with a warning box they'll freak out

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

thebigcow posted:

Jewel posted:

Because if you tell an average computer user "entering your password here means hackers are probably gonna get it" with a warning box they'll freak out

And also do you really think a user is going to figure this out on their own, unless by accident?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

KoRMaK posted:

That's the point of a fire drill though

nah doing one unannounced kills productivity, interrupts work, and can cause unnecessary panic. There's no reason to not tell people ahead of time so they can appropriately schedule their work around the drill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

thebigcow posted:

If Firefox changed the color of their icon people would be freaking out. You know this.

• Locked thread