Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was $12 as the Humble Monthly headliner last month!

Awww, i'm sad that I missed this one. Humble Bundle says that it was the March one, it's still March though so I don't understand why I can't get this bundle still. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Controversial opinion: Skyward Sword was the first console Zelda I ever beat and it's good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Part of what for me makes Windwaker so good in regards to its art style is Link himself. In all the other games(havent played botw but judging on videos) he's a really blank character action wise even though he's visually unique. In Windwaker he has more personality in his eyes alone than most game protagonists. This moves him away from the weird individual/player insert limbo he's normally in and the game is much better for it.

Breath of the Wild Link is an interesting case. His face isn't nearly as expressive as Wind Waker Link's, unfortunately, and he comes across as something of a passive cipher in the voiced cutscenes, which I don't like. But in non-voiced dialog, the wording of the little dialog choices you have for him actually do show a character. He's about what you'd expect for a guy who'd wake up in a weird cave with no memories, grab a magical iPad, and then be told by an old man he has to defeat Calamity Ganon and go "yeah, that makes sense." He's very gung-ho about things, and a lot of the options also paint him as something of a goofball. I wish that came across in the cutscenes, too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also everyone wants to make out with him

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish there was like, a GBA remake of the original Zelder or something. It's got a lot of good design in it, but man is it ugly, and man does it sound like poo poo. And the bosses are uh, not very good. It could really use some quality of life updates.

I like Zelder 2 more, even though it's a completely weirdo game and the overworld theme kinda sucks. Like it sounds like it's off-key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyMluaZDRik

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Zelder?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You know, the Zelder series.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go warsh my car.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kids today with the zelder and their pokeemans.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

When I edit my posts it harcodes my word filters and I don't always notice.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

zelder? drat near killed'er

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBkOWN8yBUQ

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when you put on the lady clothes you can tell link's really into it. you go girl

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lurdiak posted:

I wish there was like, a GBA remake of the original Zelder or something. It's got a lot of good design in it, but man is it ugly, and man does it sound like poo poo. And the bosses are uh, not very good. It could really use some quality of life updates.

I like Zelder 2 more, even though it's a completely weirdo game and the overworld theme kinda sucks. Like it sounds like it's off-key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyMluaZDRik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv0rbIZNEMA

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I googled Zelder and apparently some people call the new Zelda game The Zelder Scrolls.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Palpek posted:

I googled Zelder and apparently some people call the new Zelda game The Zelder Scrolls.

Now I do as well, thank you

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
BS Zelda IIRC does a lot weird/gimmicky things with some of the dungeons and overworld, though it certainly looks neat as hell. I definitely wished there had been a Mario All-Stars equivalent for Zelda 1 & 2 growing up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not really anything like any of the Elder Scrolls games though....

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh neat, last time I looked into this they hadn't gotten the emulation down quite right and you still had the weird time limit and the even weirder non-link sprite.

Nate RFB posted:

I definitely wished there had been a Mario All-Stars equivalent for Zelder 1 & 2 growing up.

Heck, same.

Palpek posted:

I googled Zelder and apparently some people call the new Zelder game The Zelder Scrolls.

I already posted the origin of the term!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, for example there's actually stuff to do in BOTW's game world

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The AM2R guy should take a run at Zelda 1 & 2 remakes.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

seems funny to compare Zelda to the game where Todd Howard said "you see that mountain? you can go there" which was a complete lie, while the opposite is true in BotW

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Play BS Zelda

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lurdiak posted:

I like Zelder 2 more

I like you. Zelda 2 gets a ton of undeserved hate but I love it to death and have more fun playing it than I do its predecessor.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Zelda 2 only got hated on IMO in retrospect. It was not thought of as being weird/bad at all in the late 80s and early 90s, until it became abundantly clear that they were no never going back to that format and all everyone saw was either a 3D Zelda or a top-down LttP equivalent. The only thing people would say against it at the time was that it was loving hard.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Oh neat, last time I looked into this they hadn't gotten the emulation down quite right and you still had the weird time limit and the even weirder non-link sprite.

Heck, same.

I already posted the origin of the term!

Yeah it's like, an actual game now and pretty fun to boot! And you can still enable the voice and time limit stuff if you want to see what the OG satellaview experience was like. It's a weird piece of history.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the first time i played zelda 1 was in animal crossing and it wasn't very good. the first time i played zelda 2 was last year i think and it also wasn't good

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I played Zelda 1+2 in that very good Gamecube compilation with Zelda 1/2/Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask (did it also come with master quest because I have that too and I don't remember how I got it)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Help Im Alive posted:

I played Zelda 1+2 in that very good Gamecube compilation with Zelda 1/2/Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask (did it also come with master quest because I have that too and I don't remember how I got it)

I'm pretty sure it didn't come with Master Quest. There was an OoT/MQ dual disc that you could get free if you pre-ordered Wind Waker though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There were two different special Gamecube Zelda discs yeah. One was the collection of Zelda 1, 2, OOT, and MM (and a windwaker demo). The other was Master Quest. I dunno what the conditions were for getting each of them since I just bought the former from some kid on my block so I could finally play all the stuff on it besides OOT.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

I like you. Zelder 2 gets a ton of undeserved hate but I love it to death and have more fun playing it than I do its predecessor.

Zelda 2 is a very unique game. The original game's formula has been redone a lot of times by more complex entries in the series. I won't go so far as to say that it's obsolete, because it still has some unique features and contexts that later games don't reproduce exactly, but there's no Link to the Past or Link's Awakening equivalent of Zelda 2. It's the only one of its kind.

Nate RFB posted:

The AM2R guy should take a run at Zelda 1 & 2 remakes.

That would be pretty great. AM2R is almost a 10/10 game. If only the Metroid fights weren't so annoying and lovely...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i can't believe i sold my oot/mm disc. and my jirachi disc

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The combat in Zelda 2 feels great. There is just something magical about a properly timed jump+stab at an Iron Knuckle that feels satisfying. The downward stab is also a lot of fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valk123 posted:

Just put a ballerina suit on Link next time and focus the game around him picking out a different wardrobe, only way it could have been gayer.

Wow, they predicted Tri Force Heroes back in 2004!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Regy Rusty posted:

There were two different special Gamecube Zelda discs yeah. One was the collection of Zelda 1, 2, OOT, and MM (and a windwaker demo). The other was Master Quest. I dunno what the conditions were for getting each of them since I just bought the former from some kid on my block so I could finally play all the stuff on it besides OOT.

The former was either a Wind Waker preorder bonus, or getting amazingly lucky and spotting it on a GameStop used rack (:smugdog:)

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Regy Rusty posted:

It was to buy enough Nintendo games (I think it was either two or three) and registrar their codes online. I cheated the system and rolled through blockbuster writing down as many codes as possible and ending up getting the Master Quest.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Sakurazuka posted:

Breath of the Wild plays like Morrowind. You have to win the favor of various tribes and factions by proving that you're a prophesied hero of legend. The opening dialogue has a character tell you to 'open your eyes, wake up Link'/'wake up, stand up.' The disembodied voice of a powerful woman guides you throughout your journey. Various mini-dungeons house ancient treasure guarded by technologically advanced robots, including an enemy with a sword-arm and a spider-like robot. You can manually create notes and markers on the world map. Level design places value on high vantage points to gives you line of sight on important buildings or locations. Some buildings are inaccessible or untraversable without the use of levitation/flying. Instead of traditional open world quest markers, you have to ask for directions, follow historic landmarks, decipher riddles, read documents, or follow signs/hiking markers to get to a destination. A volcanic region is full of annoying flying enemies. You can beeline it to the final boss or follow the intended questline to gain valuable artifacts and abilities.

Oh, and alchemy is broken.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The key to the Zelda collections on Gamecube were:
OOT/MQ - pre order Wind Waker
Big Collection - subscribe to Nintendo Power for 12 months. That collection was great in theory but I only got it for Majora's Mask and it was so buggy I never finished the intro without the game crashing before I could save.

I only remember these conditions because I was in high school and felt embarrassed to be subscribing to NP.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

I only remember these conditions because I was in high school and felt embarrassed to be subscribing to NP.

Wear your gamer badge with pride.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

A great regret of mine is getting rid of all my Nintendo Power Magazines. I remember a particular story that was a personality test to determine the proper clear colored plastic N64 for you. I have had no success finding scans of this story or even what issue i would want to buy on ebay, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Some really cool guy uploaded literally all of nintendo power magazine in incredibly high res scans on an easy to navigate site last year, and it took I think 3 days for Nintendo of America to shut it down.

At least I was able to save this amazing cover.

• Locked thread