Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought BoI. I have never played it, but I love rogue-like games. Looking forward to lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Experience bars are bad because they encourage mindless grinding and give you the feeling while exploring that if you aren't murdering everything on the way through that you're gimping your character. It's totally at adds with any kind of spoken narrative and probably most unspoken narratives as well, ala "and then the noble hero, on his way to carry the request of the princess to the capital, dallied among the woods, seeking every forest creature to murder them as quickly and brutally as he could, and did not rest until mountains of corpses lay in his wake". I mean sometimes you do go out of your way to fight in BotW too but not to the same degree where it's just like "murder for murderin's sake!"

The first two paper Mario games handled them pretty well though, when you come across a new area with stronger monsters you get tons of experience, then it peters out pretty aggressively as you level up so it doesn't feel like tons of grinding is meaningful at well.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 22, 2017

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cicero posted:

when you come across a new area with stronger monsters you get tons of experience, then it peters out pretty aggressively as you level up so it doesn't feel like tons of grinding is meaningful at well.

Isn't that how experience works in pretty much every game?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah, but since Mario only goes up to level 30 instead of 99 it peters out relatively a lot quicker.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Wheany posted:

It was more on a logarithmic scale with Paper Mario from what I remember (or exponential depending which direction you want to look at it from.) I think it worked out that after a few levels, grinding the monsters that were closest to your level was basically the same as grinding level 1 monsters and nearly impossible in that it'd take hours and hours and hours to get a single level, not the normal scale of how things work.

Pretend that the level 48 monsters give 1000xp. It'd be something like
48-49: 10000xp
49-50: 15000xp
50-51: 25000xp
51-52: 500000000xp

and the level 51 monsters would give out something like 50000000xp. But you couldn't physically get to them early to powerlevel before it.

Or I'm grossly misremembering. Probably that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't wait for a fallout to appear on a switch and suddenly experience points are the favorite thing of all Nintendo fans. I forgot you guys live 10 years in the past. But hey, Fallout 3 came out in 07 so!!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone using a dock sleeve notice any heating issues the extra fabric brings? Was thinking of picking one up but am worried of melting.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
While I agree BoTW doesn't necessarily need a leveling system, I have found myself skipping most sidequests since so many of them seem to give you very little in the way of rewards.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It would never get hit enough to cause you to melt, and even if it did you would be long dead by that point.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Also while BoI is kinda fun I find it hard to justify spending $49.99 on a game I got for free on PS+ a few months ago.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

robodex posted:

While I agree BoTW doesn't necessarily need a leveling system, I have found myself skipping most sidequests since so many of them seem to give you very little in the way of rewards.

I do side quests to interact more with the world. I want to hear what people have to say. I don't really care if giving them bugs gives me rupees.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

robodex posted:

Also while BoI is kinda fun I find it hard to justify spending $49.99 on a game I got for free on PS+ a few months ago.

BoI: Rebirth was a PS+ game in November 2014, and Afterbirth+ is practically a brand new experience.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

My lazy rear end still hasn't gone out and got BoI. I'm a failure.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

Andrast posted:

Things that are minor things to you might not be minor things to them and they might not enjoy the great things in the game as much. People have different tastes.

Look, I'm not saying that none of the complaints that people have about the game are valid, but you have to admit that complaining that the load times add up over the course of a 100+ hour game and that the guy who expands your inventory does so with maracas is reaching quite a bit for something to complain about.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You're nitpicking his nitpicking my dude

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Revol posted:

Second version of my work-in-progress 3D printed grip based on the Steam controller. The Joycon dock lower and deeper into the model. This allows the index fingers to comfortably rest on the trigger buttons. Also, the slight angle allows the thumbs to move more naturally downward.

Still some work to be done. In moving the Joycon dock deeper into the model, the grips aren't as big, so they don't rest on the palms like the original Steam controller does, or how the first version of this grip does. That may be acceptable, though, since now you grip the grip using your fingers, which I think feel pretty good. Might still play around with that design, though. Beyond that, I have to start smoothing out the hard edges. I'm starting to learn Fusion 360, so I'll be able to move on from using the rudimentary Tinkercad.

I like the dick slot where I could rest my dick

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Seriously though it's a real cool thing but joycons in a controller is just wrong

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Why is your dick a triangle

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Mommy why is that man like that

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Zelda seriously doesn't have an experience bar? Then what has kept me playing for like four pro controller recharge cycles :confused:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's the triforce of power

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Dr Cheeto posted:

is it not supposed to be? :confused:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dr Cheeto posted:

...you mean your dick isn't?

Stop making me feel like a weirdo

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Also seems to me that It'd be a lot easier to burn out on something playing it for 10-12 hours a day every day for over a week, as opposed to an hour or two every day or so for a month.

I see this with books too. When a new book comes out, often the super-fast bingers and skimmers who finish it that night are some of the harshest reviewers, while people who spread it out over more time are able to contextualize and see past any flaws in the writer's​ style.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I just really hope Breath of the Wild 2: Gasp of the Savage improves on the original's tired formula by introducing factions, motorized vehicles, experience points and objective marker arrows all over the place

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Drunk Tomato posted:

Also seems to me that It'd be a lot easier to burn out on something playing it for 10-12 hours a day every day for over a week, as opposed to an hour or two every day or so for a month.

I see this with books too. When a new book comes out, often the super-fast bingers and skimmers who finish it that night are some of the harshest reviewers, while people who spread it out over more time are able to contextualize and see past any flaws in the writer's​ style.

uh what.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I just really hope Breath of the Wild 2: Gasp of the Savage improves on the original's tired formula by introducing factions, motorized vehicles, experience points and objective marker arrows all over the place
The towers. They should add a thousand dots on your mini map when you climb them.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

VideoGames posted:

I do apologise if you thought I was being unfair to you personally. It was truly not my intent.

Nah I didn't mean to sound like you were targeting me or leaving me specifically left out. Sorry about that.

Wheany posted:

Systematically, it's how a lot of games worked naturally since higher levels -> more exp, which then begets more exp -> fight tougher enemies. Specific to the Paper Mario example though, is that exp can actually scale so that the same enemies you fight give less EXP when you are higher leveled. There are still a lot of other RPGs that do this, but it is currently not used as much.

Not to mention that you don't even need to grind a lot of RPGs with experience points anyways, so that complaint is still weird...

Takoluka posted:

I do side quests to interact more with the world. I want to hear what people have to say. I don't really care if giving them bugs gives me rupees.

Yeah, basically this. Sidequests imo are at their best when they enrich the world and characters (which is also one of my complaints, since I personally didn't find enough of the sidequests engaging or fulfilling, much like the Bunnyhop video pointed out).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Wheany posted:

It was far more drastic in Paper Mario. From what I remember it was common to see something like, you go to a new area and a new monster gives you 4XP, then you level up once and it gives you 2XP, then you level up again and it gives you 1XP, you level up again and it gives you nothing.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Norns posted:

The towers. They should add a thousand dots on your mini map when you climb them.

Yeah i've done every objective marker on my map already so I'm waiting for the DLC

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Zelda seriously doesn't have an experience bar? Then what has kept me playing for like four pro controller recharge cycles :confused:

it's because you like a Nintendo that means you're living ten years in the past which means *faaaaaaaaarrrrrt*

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cicero posted:

It was far more drastic in Paper Mario. From what I remember it was common to see something like, you go to a new area and a new monster gives you 4XP, then you level up once and it gives you 2XP, then you level up again and it gives you 1XP, you level up again and it gives you nothing.

They always gave 1. You always need a hundred exp. So yeah, 100 fights per level if you really wanted to grind

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I just can't believe an originally 5 dollar game is now 50 dollars

Blow me, Binding of Isaac

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Spellman posted:

Isn't street fighter 2 going to be like $50?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cicero posted:

you level up again and it gives you nothing.

Worst. Game. Ever.

If I want to run in a circle in the starting area, squishing mangy rats for 2 years grinding my character to level 99, the game should let me.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I managed to pick up a Switch at the Nintendo Store yesterday, I'm pretty excited to finally get some Zelda action. So is there a consensus on the best cable/adapter to get if I just want to be able to easily charge my Switch with either USB or AC on the go?

Also does anyone have any strong case opinions?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Empress Brosephine posted:

Can't wait for a fallout to appear on a switch and suddenly experience points are the favorite thing of all Nintendo fans. I forgot you guys live 10 years in the past. But hey, Fallout 3 came out in 07 so!!
I hope no Fallout games come to the Nintendo Switch because Fallout 4 was pretty dull and bad.

If Fallout is your measure of a good game then :yikes:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Norns posted:

I want them to add the ability to swan dive 1000 meters off a tower into a small haycart.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spellman posted:

Rebirth isn't a $5 game and the switch edition also has multiple expansions added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Norns posted:

Thankfully Nintendo saw fit to have us create the dots on our mini-maps and have the opportunity to miss stuff instead of automatically giving us the dots.

• Locked thread