Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I've only gotten the upgrade items from quest rewards and I still haven't found a single purified water, and they do enough damage as-is that there doesn't seem to be any reason to like go out of your way to upgrade them. Mine are all still level one with A and B doing 25 damage per hit, and the bomb skill just kills anything but bosses and other ridiculously strong enemies so I'm not worried.

I found purified water on the ground in the flooded City. Just as one of those random mat spawns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think Missile Pod gets that same shot, but the Pod Upgrades are generally postgame stuff. It's not like weapon upgrades where the game gives you them around the time they'd be nice and earlier if you look around

Yeah, that's why I'd like an NG+. They're mainly post-game upgrades... but there's not a much post-game content to use them on.

Edit: Someone suggested adding a feature to de-level yourself. That'd also work just fine. Just wanna play with new gear while not leveled so high that I one-shot everything.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 22, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Lmbo at route G.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Quick question: If an item's description mentions "can be sold for money," like dictionaries, is it always safe to sell it? I got some kind of machine core after beating a boss (right before going underground to the alien ship) that I can sell for 10,000 G but I suspect it might be used in a quest or upgrade component.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A couple of those items are required for quests, but machine cores are fine though they sell for more than double that later in the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Contingency Plan posted:

Quick question: If an item's description mentions "can be sold for money," like dictionaries, is it always safe to sell it? I got some kind of machine core after beating a boss (right before going underground to the alien ship) that I can sell for 10,000 G but I suspect it might be used in a quest or upgrade component.

It is always safe to sell. There is literally only one of those items in the entire game that is used for a quest, and the quest spawns a bunch of them you can just go collect.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A dude in the forest asks for boar meat as well but that's pretty trivial to get.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

A dude in the forest asks for boar meat as well but that's pretty trivial to get.

Oh I guess I forgot that one because yeah it takes no time at all to get it

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Emil finally sold me those drat fists. I could cry tears of joy

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

An ability to turn off exp gain and one to level lock like in TWEWY, like someone in the thread mentioned would be the tightest poo poo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

when can I get a pair of gauntlets? I haven't found any in the game yet.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Augus posted:

when can I get a pair of gauntlets? I haven't found any in the game yet.

The earliest you can get some is in the forest. There's a weapon shrine there that has one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whoops I got ending D first.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

98% weapon completion wow maybe I can actually pull this off.

Now the issue is actually beating the first Emil boss. He keeps getting me with his one hit kill attack he uses when he's almost beaten.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh yeah, now I remember I was gonna ask something mechanics-wise. I realised holding down Evade as A2 activated what I can only describe as afterburners. Just wondering, does the game ever actually tell you it is a thing, and probably more importantly, what the heck does it do apart from look cool and let you do ZOE figure skating?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

McDragon posted:

Oh yeah, now I remember I was gonna ask something mechanics-wise. I realised holding down Evade as A2 activated what I can only describe as afterburners. Just wondering, does the game ever actually tell you it is a thing, and probably more importantly, what the heck does it do apart from look cool and let you do ZOE figure skating?

I've been experimenting with it and I think it's there just to look cool. I haven't discovered any hidden moves combining it with other inputs.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

McDragon posted:

In my limited experimenting it appeared to change something about the heavy attack if you use it during that moment. I couldn't tell if it was just a different animation or also a functional difference, though.

e:

Sakurazuka posted:

Whoops I got ending D first.

Yeah ok you have some spoilered explaining to do here. I'm having the weirdest frown right now.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 22, 2017

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

e: gently caress

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

McDragon posted:

It does damage when you're in Berserk mode.

Also character design gimmick between the two games I didn't notice till a friend mentioned it.
2B wears her bandana thing like Dad!Nier, 9S wears his like Emil's blindfold and A2 wears her like Kaine does :v:. Kinda neat.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Does anyone know where or under what circumstances I might find an Amusement Park Rampaging Medium Biped? The non-hostile ones don't count and there's so few enemies in the endgame amusement park that it seems weird I can't find one. At least with the stupid enhanced enemies I'm missing I have been able to find places they supposedly rarely spawn.

I only need 2% more for the unit data quest.... on the one hand I don't care too much but on the other hand I got so CLOSE without having to work very hard for it...

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Does anyone know where or under what circumstances I might find an Amusement Park Rampaging Medium Biped? The non-hostile ones don't count and there's so few enemies in the endgame amusement park that it seems weird I can't find one. At least with the stupid enhanced enemies I'm missing I have been able to find places they supposedly rarely spawn.

I only need 2% more for the unit data quest.... on the one hand I don't care too much but on the other hand I got so CLOSE without having to work very hard for it...

I got it by taunting one of the non-hostile ones before killing it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've not checked it but I did read that the glow at the end of A2's dash also buffers her attack power for a little while.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I got it by taunting one of the non-hostile ones before killing it

Ooh I did not think of that! Thanks!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well as long as it doesn't harm me I guess looking cool and possibly being a buff is good enough. Although using it as a ram sounds fun as well. Gosh there's some cool things lurking in this game. Thanks for all the replies about it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay didn't have time to post last night because I needed to get to bed, but holy poo poo...

Just go to the part in Route B where 9S finds out that humans are extinct. Now, I had considered this as a possibility, on like, a plot twist level. And I had also considered the idea, in general, that humans were the "gods" in this crazy allegorical setting. But like, the journey of getting to this reveal makes it work so much more effectively. So many pieces fall into place. The YorHa are basically angels. "For the Glory of Mankind"? Where Mankind is translated as GOD.

This poo poo is so good.

But also, this game continues to be loving hilarious (still Route B) <154 years ago> "We have put the last memories of our king into this child. We must protect and nurture him so he may grow up to be king" <150 years later> "He has no grown at all" "Nope" "How do we make him bigger" "I don't know. We are too dumb to figure it out"

Like, yeah, it's existential tragedy, but also really funny.

"According to this book, Eve is a woman's name... shouldn't we be called Cain and Abel or something?"

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It does damage when you're in Berserk mode.

Also character design gimmick between the two games I didn't notice till a friend mentioned it.
2B wears her bandana thing like Dad!Nier, 9S wears his like Emil's blindfold and A2 wears her like Kaine does :v:. Kinda neat.

Does A2 even ever wear hers? I don't remember that

Snak posted:

Okay didn't have time to post last night because I needed to get to bed, but holy poo poo...

Just go to the part in Route B where 9S finds out that humans are extinct. Now, I had considered this as a possibility, on like, a plot twist level. And I had also considered the idea, in general, that humans were the "gods" in this crazy allegorical setting. But like, the journey of getting to this reveal makes it work so much more effectively. So many pieces fall into place. The YorHa are basically angels. "For the Glory of Mankind"? Where Mankind is translated as GOD.

This poo poo is so good.

Yep. Though instead of angels I see them more as being a religious paramilitary being manipulated through faith.

Nina fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 22, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like how I spent the whole game wondering what the hell the deal with the blindfolds was and then after I beat it I get an item that just says they're just goggles.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Snak posted:

But also, this game continues to be loving hilarious (still Route B) <154 years ago> "We have put the last memories of our king into this child. We must protect and nurture him so he may grow up to be king" <150 years later> "He has no grown at all" "Nope" "How do we make him bigger" "I don't know. We are too dumb to figure it out"

I like the bit where they say at least he's cute. :3:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

I like the bit where they say at least he's cute. :3:

Yeah, it feeds right back into the cycle. "This isn't working at all. We're too dumb" "He is cute though" "Yeah, we should protect him".

I'm surprised how much I like the writing in this game. Like, I knew that the story was a big selling point for a lot of people, but even so... Most of the time "good video game writing" is still just like, freshman level observations about the human condition or whatever. And this game is full of stuff like that. But it all comes together into something bigger. Like, seperately. the "Ship of Theseus" guy, and Simone, and The Wandering Couple etc are kind of basic, "robots as metaphors 101" type stuff. But all the pieces come together pretty well into a thematically cohesive whole that is more than the sum of its parts.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Regy Rusty posted:

I like how I spent the whole game wondering what the hell the deal with the blindfolds was and then after I beat it I get an item that just says they're just goggles.

I adore how that item isn't even for like removing the goggles. It's just another blindfold that's invisible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mindblast posted:

In my limited experimenting it appeared to change something about the heavy attack if you use it during that moment. I couldn't tell if it was just a different animation or also a functional difference, though.

e:

Yeah ok you have some spoilered explaining to do here. I'm having the weirdest frown right now.

I meant before ending C not first first.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm having trouble processing what happened in this game. I didn't get emotional about the ending, in fact I feel almost completely numb.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure all the machines and androids who learn more about the nature of reality and then just don't see the point in living are foreshadowing the player's experience. But I have a lot left to see, so...

(barely a spoiler. Thematic stuff that new players might not expect)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
beep

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm having trouble processing what happened in this game. I didn't get emotional about the ending, in fact I feel almost completely numb.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh no...not the Amusement Park :ohdear:
I never even hurt the Amusement Tank because of how cheerful the place was and now...:(

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Snak posted:

I'm pretty sure all the machines and androids who learn more about the nature of reality and then just don't see the point in living are foreshadowing the player's experience. But I have a lot left to see, so...

(barely a spoiler. Thematic stuff that new players might not expect)

There are a lot of side-quests that embody bigger themes, or act as microcosms of bigger plot points.

Regarding the pointlessness of life: how did humanity cope with existence, without a machine network to give them orders, belonging, or meaning?

There was that one 9S side-quest, where an idiot machine in Pascal's village was thanking people for insulting it. 9S tries to debug it, only to find that it's actually really smart, and just playing dumb to get money thrown at it, and have other robots reveal their true nature at it. I felt kind of a chill, because that made me think that the machine network might also be 'playing dumb' by being so unfocused and mostly inactive. Except it turned out that in route C, that was exactly right, and they went ape-poo poo murder-house once YoRHa's back-door opened, and it was horrible.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

well i beat the game, all the way i guess

really glad i did as many sidequests i could, because the way everything ties together thematically and storywise is genuinely masterclass.
there's so much foreshadowing and so many character moments that tie back into the main game's story.

it's crazy how much the cast grew on me 'cuz i really found them boring through the first half.
2b is a really, really great character. too bad folks are prob. just gonna focus on her design instead of her story forever

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 22, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Fereydun posted:

well i beat the game, all the way i guess

2b is a really great character, jesus

What makes you think so? I'm just curious to hear that point of view since I like her concept but she's the least fleshed out main character IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Oh no...not the Amusement Park :ohdear:
I never even hurt the Amusement Tank because of how cheerful the place was and now...:(

For my Route A run I destroyed it cos 9S told me to. In route B I decided to see what would happen if I left it alone.

Screw you 9S, don't destroy the fun-tank! :argh: