Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This is a live, actual feed from the US Senate. Irony is dead, self-awareness is dead. Let none of us ever be fooled into thinking the GOP and any of its candidates are anything but the full-on enemy ever again.

edit: he can't loving stop

quote:

Alexander Hamilton would be rolling over in his grave based on the state of the confirmation process, says Graham.

edit 2: Let's dodge questions by appropriating language we've criticized the left for using! Checkmate, libtards :smug:

quote:

Graham: Are you an originalist?
Gorsuch: I do worry about the use of labels.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
On the first day of the hearings, Graham said both that it was okay that the republicans didn't consider garland bc the dems would do the same and that it was a shame that the Supreme Court picks had become so politicized

Graham is a shithead as usual

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Leahy now talking about lack of any higher authority over the SCOTUS to review recusals

So, from reading transcripts of yesterday and today, I find that Goresuch's ubiquitous answer of "It depends on the facts of the case" in response to ideological questions refradmed as review of his record in the 10th circuit and subsequent utter refusal to discuss how he interpreted those facts on any level farther than "read my assent / dissent" is trying to hide something from more than just the left. Is he trying to avoid having the christian conservative right call for Trump yanking Goresuch at the last second due to perceived weakness on reversing Roe?

His language is fascinating when he gets into detail but so loving frustrating when it comes to guessing what he's going to do to human rights. SCOTUSblog has run several pieces reviewing his stance on contentious amendments and theories, and the answer has been "Well, he's definitely a Federalist and originalist, he is liable to gently caress you if you're poor, but he's hit the mark frequently enough that we just don't know."

This just isn't the goddamn kind of uncertainty we (the set of modern, humane loving persons in the States)need this many decades into the fight for actual equal protection, voting rights, and what are accepted as human rights in much of the rest of Western loving Civilization. I look back at exit polling from the General Election and :psyduck: at the notion that it was R voters who ranked the SCOTUS pick high on their list of considerations.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 22, 2017

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Discendo Vox, what do you think about this piece laying out why the author thinks Originalism is bunk?

Honestly, the only good that could come of this would be McConnell going nuclear to confirm Gorsuch. At least then my PredictIt shares pay out.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Rygar201 posted:

Discendo Vox, what do you think about this piece laying out why the author thinks Originalism is bunk?

Honestly, the only good that could come of this would be McConnell going nuclear to confirm Gorsuch. At least then my PredictIt shares pay out.

Honestly, Goresuch is probably the absolute best candidate you could expect from this adminstration.

If he gets Borked somehow I full expect Trump to nominate his daughter or some dumb poo poo like that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^ Ivanka is nominally pro-LGBT, or at least not rabidly against the existence of gay people, so she'd be far to the left of Gorsuch on social matters. She'd be even more pro-business though. I'd rather see him nominate his own sister, though she'd be the oldest nominee for SCOTUS by a large margin IIRC.

Potato Salad posted:

Leahy now talking about lack of any higher authority over the SCOTUS to review recusals

So, from reading transcripts of yesterday and today, I find that Goresuch's ubiquitous answer of "It depends on the facts of the case" in response to ideological questions refradmed as review of his record in the 10th circuit and subsequent utter refusal to discuss how he interpreted those facts on any level farther than "read my assent / dissent" is trying to hide something from more than just the left. Is he trying to avoid having the christian conservative right call for Trump yanking Goresuch at the last second due to perceived weakness on reversing Roe?

Roe isn't getting reversed until Kennedy or one of the liberals gets replaced by Trump, or Kennedy suddenly decides he wants to outlaw abortion.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 22, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So is this person (who iirc has a background in law) correct in his assessment?

quote:

They're not that different. And Schumer and Biden, at least, publicly said that they should do it if a SCOTUS vacancy came up in the last year of both Bush presidencies. Schumer lamented not working harder on the filibuster of Alito (a filibuster denies a nominee an up or down vote).

So I'm tired of hearing about the "unprecedented" obstructionism against Obama's nominees. There was plenty of precedent for it, much of it supplied by two of the loudest voices who spent 4 years (staggered at the end of each Obama turn) crying about how every nominee deserves an up or down vote. Obama had more judges confirmed than Bush II did (which is not a perfect proxy for lack of obstructionism in and of itself, but it does demonstrate that Obama wasn't deprived of the opportunity to make his mark on the judiciary).

Each party has escalated every single time they have controlled the Senate against an opposite-party President. That escalation has been predictable and basically linear.

The Republican's escalation this time was to do the same thing Leahy did to numerous appellate judges to a SCOTUS nominee. There's nothing magic about SCOTUS nominees.

The Republicans will likely counter-escalate by nuking the filibuster for SCOTUS nominees, but that is also something the Democrats did first. Both sides will be wildly hypocritical about it, I'm sure.

quote:

I get that we can almost always point to similar things the opposite party has done when someone complains, but I feel like that's just not moving anything forward (as much as any discussion ever is able to anyway).

If Leahy had just complained about it, then I probably wouldn't have said anything. But it's the repeated statement that it's unprecedented or that the tarnish to the Judiciary Committee is somehow new that gets to me. When he says that, he's minimizing what he (specifically) and his party have done in the past. In essence, he's the one who brought up the past, if only implicitly, and I'm talking about the past in response to that.

As for fixing the problems, it requires a constitutional amendment to (1) remove life tenure and (2) put a time limit on an up or down vote in the Senate. (2) requires a rule that prevents reverse filibusters, but that should be easily manageable.

My thoughts on this are:
1. Didn't Obama get a bunch of confirmations through only because Ted Cruz screwed up with his showboating?
2. Isn't this argument essentially "The Democrats did it first/did it too"?
3. What is the claim about how there's nothing "Magic" about SCOTUS nominees? Aren't they the final say? Isn't there a higher degree of tradition/norms about them supposed to be a-political versus the lower courts?
4. Didn't John Oliver go through each of the arguments about "precedent" about blocking Supreme Court nominees for the last 50 something years and none of them apply to Obama?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rygar201 posted:

The question won't come down to McConnell going nuclear or not. Enough Dems will cross over to make any question on what McConnell would do moot.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Honestly, Goresuch is probably the absolute best candidate you could expect from this adminstration.

If he gets Borked somehow I full expect Trump to nominate his daughter or some dumb poo poo like that.

It's why I was surprised to see Goresuch selected. I do not know whether Goresuch has conservatives who actually care about pulling reproductive rights squirming a bit.

More with Leahy / Goresuch. Read this from bottom to top

quote:

Gorsuch: They don't speak for me, and I don't speak for them.
Leahy: What vision do you share with President Trump?
Leahy: Steve Bannon was a big supporter of yours. He's supported by racists and misogynists.
Gorsuch: Designed to protect the civil rights of Americans. I don't speak for Justice Scalia; I speak for myself.
Gorsuch: Yes.
Leahy: Also updated just a few years ago, during Bush's tenure.
Gorsuch: VRA passed to protect civil rights.
Leahy: Do you agree with Scalia's characterization of Voting Rights Act as a perpetuation of racial entitlement?
Leahy: Scalia was a friend of mine. I voted for him.
Leahy: During the campaign, Trump promised to appoint justices just like Scalia.
Leahy: You have been very hesitant to even talk about Supreme Court precedents. Even Roberts said he agreed with Griswold.
Leahy asking Gorsuch about Emoluments Clause, which none of us had ever heard of until recently.
[Going back and forth on whether Gorsuch can discuss future cases.]
Gorsuch: I am a judge now and I take that seriously.
Gorsuch: That's the rule of law in this country.
Leahy: Assuming the ban is upheld, do they have to comply with it?
Leahy: The architect of Trump's Muslim ban suggested that judges could not review.
Gorsuch: We have courts to resolve these disputes. I would approach through the lens of the Youngstown analysis.
Gorsuch: I don't want to deal with a case that might come before me. But I can speak generally. Presidents make all sorts of arguments about inherent authority.
Leahy: It's the same law, with the exception that not reviewable.
Gorsuch: Just have to study the law and practice on the court.
Leahy: Standards are the same, it's just that decision to recuse or not is not reviewable for Supreme Court.
Gorsuch: He is a former client, and I treated him as my former client. Would have to look at recusal standards for Supreme Court justices.
Gorsuch: I would go through the same process I did on Tenth Circuit.
Leahy: You say you follow broader recusal standard, but if you were confirmed, would you still recuse yourself?
Leahy: Yesterday I asked about your connections to Philip Anschutz and his role in lobbying the White House to get you on the Tenth Circuit. Commend you for recusing from cases in which he was involved.
Person who performed abortion would blackmail the woman who had it. Leahy pointed out that woman was trained to do abortions by SS at Auschwitz. Leahy got a plea bargain from her.
Leahy v. Bartlett: Was a case in which I prosecuted someone for an abortion after a young woman nearly died from a botched abortion.
Leahy: I have experience with time before Roe v. Wade. In one case, Leahy v. Beacham, I brought a declaratory judgment case to allow VT Supreme Court to rule on constituitonality of VT's anti-abortion statute.
Leahy: Notes that although Graham described Obama as nominating 2 justices, Obama actually nominated 3, including Merrick Garland. Laments that Senate refused to have a hearing or a vote on Garland.

Slippery motherfucker will not loving comment on the elephant(s) in the room, and its giving me queasy, unfounded hope that Gorsuch will not destroy voting rights and human rights. There is no basis for that hope other than my brain's desire not to panic. If he intends to yank human rights and let the GOP hard-counter ballot access, this walk-the-line silence will let enough spineless Dem Senators cross the line to let him through. If Gorsuch's thoughts on Roe and the VRA are favorable for voting rights and reproductive rights, then he's a trojan horse avoiding backlash from Breitbart and FOX until it's too late and he's approved.

I am so loving sick of these games.

It is utterly loving despicable that we are even considering touching on these issues with any prospective outlook other than expanded personal liberty in the Year of Our Lord 2017.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 22, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I may be pickled in the USPol cesspit and an unreconstructed cynic on this, but the slipperiness and non-answer/punting responses are, to me, textbook political triangulation. It was particularly blatant in North Carolina, but similar tactics were used in places like Wisconsin and in senate races all over - you basically punt on everything, defer to process or 'the law over my personal opinions' so that you don't piss too many people off, and then once you're elected just tear through the place like a buzzsaw.

Gorsuch's decisions aren't always a good way to get a feel for his theory, but these hearings are more than enough to sow massive distrust since he's straight up not answering anything. Everyone I've seen doing that has gone on to be a complete dirtbag in office, though it's all been elected officials​ and not a SCOTUS justice.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

quote:

Durbin: We are trying to figure out what you are really like, in essence. What made your record so attractive to the Heritage Foundation and Federalist Society?
Durbin: I am sure the public is puzzled about why we are spending so much time talking about the frozen truckers.

:bern101:

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I'm not an American legal scholar so happy to be corrected but coming from the UK, Originalists seem pretty scary radical to me as a judicial philosophy. At its core it's a rejection of common law and stare decisis, it basically relegates precedent and the most fundamental principles of common law to cases where the wording of the Constitution​ and laws don't directly apply. Which is probably not the majority.

If fully applied generally it would make legal outcomes dependent on which judge you got because of they read a law as saying X they should totally ignore that everyone has treated it as saying Y for the history of the law.

It's utterly radical and seems like a pretty massive shift from how law has operated in the US since its founding. How the gently caress does such a philosophy get labelled conservative when it's throwing out one of the longest existing principles of government?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There's good reading in the OP that will illuminate how originalism and (slightly unrelated) the Federalist Society gained mindshare in legal education.

tldr: $$$$$

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 22, 2017

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Maybe i should rephrase, i get why it is attractive from a political viewpoint how there are political and financial pressures in the US judicial system we don't have to anything like the same degree in the UK. I was seeking to check if my understanding of originalism was broadly correct and if it was, how does that come to be labelled a conservative judicial philosophy? It's radical, like super radical. I've always had a great sympathy for Burkean conservatism and i cannot reconcile in any way with wanting to throw out the whole foundation of Common Law.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

MrNemo posted:

Maybe i should rephrase, i get why it is attractive from a political viewpoint how there are political and financial pressures in the US judicial system we don't have to anything like the same degree in the UK. I was seeking to check if my understanding of originalism was broadly correct and if it was, how does that come to be labelled a conservative judicial philosophy? It's radical, like super radical. I've always had a great sympathy for Burkean conservatism and i cannot reconcile in any way with wanting to throw out the whole foundation of Common Law.

American conservatives don't give a gently caress about principals, only achieving their goals. Originalism is, almost entirely*, a stalking horse for just achieving the goals of movement conservatives.

*One Justice Thomas excepted.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The article is poo poo, I dunno why I approved it. Like it critiques all originalists of doing(and like, in practice, virtually every legal academic does), it starts with its conclusions and then works backwards from there.

MrNemo posted:

I'm not an American legal scholar so happy to be corrected but coming from the UK, Originalists seem pretty scary radical to me as a judicial philosophy. At its core it's a rejection of common law and stare decisis, it basically relegates precedent and the most fundamental principles of common law to cases where the wording of the Constitution​ and laws don't directly apply. Which is probably not the majority.

If fully applied generally it would make legal outcomes dependent on which judge you got because of they read a law as saying X they should totally ignore that everyone has treated it as saying Y for the history of the law.

It's utterly radical and seems like a pretty massive shift from how law has operated in the US since its founding. How the gently caress does such a philosophy get labelled conservative when it's throwing out one of the longest existing principles of government?

It's not fully applied generally. It's usually a theory of constitutional interpretation, not general statutory interpretation, which has different connotations for the role of precedent. It's also not particularly radical (unless you're on SA). People really want originalism to be illegitimate right now because they don't have a good way to attack Gorsuch or prevent his confirmation. While it's true that a particular form of it has been beneficial to conservatives (under one definition of conservatism) thanks to the Federalists and Scalia in the past couple decades, that's basically not relevant to what the underlying legal philosophical theories are or how they work.

Meanwhile, Potato Salad is freaking out about a SCOTUS confirmation that's identical to every one we've had from both parties for decades.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 22, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MrNemo posted:

It's not that it's conservative in a judicial or legal sense, it's that it tends to lead to conservative political outcomes and roll back more recent constitutional protections and legal developments.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FAUXTON posted:

I may be pickled in the USPol cesspit and an unreconstructed cynic on this, but the slipperiness and non-answer/punting responses are, to me, textbook political triangulation. It was particularly blatant in North Carolina, but similar tactics were used in places like Wisconsin and in senate races all over - you basically punt on everything, defer to process or 'the law over my personal opinions' so that you don't piss too many people off, and then once you're elected just tear through the place like a buzzsaw.

Gorsuch's decisions aren't always a good way to get a feel for his theory, but these hearings are more than enough to sow massive distrust since he's straight up not answering anything. Everyone I've seen doing that has gone on to be a complete dirtbag in office, though it's all been elected officials​ and not a SCOTUS justice.

He knows the hearing is entirely for show because the GOP is going to confirm him and the Democrats have no ability to prevent it. Nothing short of him announcing unwavering support for women's choice and gay rights will change the outcome.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Originalism, despite its use across the country and on the SCOTUS is just code word for return to when white landowners had almost all the power. Clarence Thomas is actually a Kaufmanesque actor demonstrating the absurdities in theory.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Mr. Nice! posted:

Originalism, despite its use across the country and on the SCOTUS is just code word for return to when white landowners had almost all the power. Clarence Thomas is actually a Kaufmanesque actor demonstrating the absurdities in theory.

It's code for actually following the legitimate rules of our government, which happened to have been established by white landowners after a violent revolution gave them the power to establish those rules.

The honest path for those who dislike the rules seems clear.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Discendo Vox posted:

Meanwhile, Potato Salad is freaking out about a SCOTUS confirmation that's identical to every one we've had from both parties for decades.

It is worth freaking out over. Last time we had an R president + R congress + R courts all at the same time, we started facially violating statutes and international law on detention and torture, saw securities markets explode, and got embroiled in a war that's incurred unbelievable debt and arguably accelerated the destabilization of a segment of the planet.

It is sensible and right to be freaking out about a SCOTUS pick that's walking the line in juuuust a right way such that a few Dem senators are likely to flip and let him in. After the theft of the seat. By the same party responsible for the above.

Get over the idea that any of this is normal or not worth freaking out over.

Meanwhile, in SCOTUSland, read from bottom to top.

quote:

Whitehouse: You say that Congress can demand disclosure. Once you let certain political interests achieve the kind of dominance that Citizens United allows, they start to have disproportionate influence over Congress, and that won't happen.

Whitehouse: On the Tenth Circuit, I don't believe you ever have party-line decisions. But it's a very different world where you are, compared with the Supreme Court.

Gorsuch: I don't see Republican judges and I don't see Democrat judges. Then why are you so reticent to comment on your support from the Heritage Foundation, Freedom Caucus, and Federalist Society you brilliant motherfucker you Answer: because you'd be giving the Dems a clear reason to find their goddamn spines. Instead, you're cautiously inviting them to be the adults in the room as always and let you through unopposed.

Whitehouse: It distresses me too. Quite a lot.

Gorsuch: I am distressed to hear you think that judges is an organ of a party.

Gorsuch: I will follow the law of judicial precedent in this area. I make no promises.

Gorsuch: Arguments for overturning precedent include changed circumstances.

Gorsuch: I will promise you what I promise every litigant when I hear someone asking me to overturn a precedent.

Gorsuch: I have a couple of reactions.

Whitehouse: More than a third think the court will be much more favorable to a corporation than to a person. If you thought any of those presumptions were wrong, would you be willing to reconsider that case?

Whitehouse, not Durbin, sorry.

Durbin: They made some presumptions. One was that all this corporate political spending was going to be independent of candidates. Presumption 2 was that it would all be transparent. Presumption 3 was that the back and forth would not affect confidence in government. I think that reality completely belies all 3 of those points.

Durbin: The court in Citizens United did say that there is no limit on corporate spending in politics that could lead to corruption or the appearance of corruption. To me that is fanciful in the extreme.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 22, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not that it's conservative in a judicial or legal sense, it's that it tends to lead to conservative political outcomes and roll back more recent constitutional protections and legal developments.
This. Almost always it's, "How can I read the tea leaves here to get the outcome to match maintstream movement conservatism?"

It leads to some incredibly tortured readings of the founders' writings and contemporary legal decisions, where they mostly take the founders' opinions that agree with theirs and explain away as irrelevant the ones that don't.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

EwokEntourage posted:

On the first day of the hearings, Graham said both that it was okay that the republicans didn't consider garland bc the dems would do the same and that it was a shame that the Supreme Court picks had become so politicized

Graham is a shithead as usual

They don't only have to steal the seat in a shameless and despicable manner that will taint the court forever. They have to pretend like it never happened too and clutch their pearls about politicization. Any democratic senator that votes for a republican president's SCOUTS nominee from now on should be primaried.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Not an hour ago, Gorsuch and his interviewers were discussing how even Alito and Roberts were confirmed each with 97 votes or more. Head's up your arse if you want to see anything about this as "normal."

Correction, this was the line:

quote:

[Graham is decrying the deterioration in the confirmation process, from when Scalia and Ginsburg were confirmed with 98 and 96 votes, to today . . . . ]

It's even more :ironicat: than I remembered

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 22, 2017

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Republicans follow "you gotta make sure you hurt them before they hurt you, because you know if you were them, it's what you'd do" in every aspect of life, from parliamentary tactics to pre-emptive strikes on countries with alleged WMDs. Democrats follow "when you see a bear, you should lie down and play dead so that instead of mauling you to death, it'll walk away".

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

People really want originalism to be illegitimate right now because they don't have a good way to attack Gorsuch or prevent his confirmation. While it's true that a particular form of it has been beneficial to conservatives (under one definition of conservatism) thanks to the Federalists and Scalia in the past couple decades, that's basically not relevant to what the underlying legal philosophical theories are or how they work.
This is a stupid non-argument. It's illegitimate now (and always has been) because it's founded upon illegitimate principles,

1) that we can reconstruct the mindset of the authors of the Constitution (and do so without going into actual primary sources in depth and full context, using historical research performed by experienced and trained historians and instead often just keyword-searching for useful out-of-context snippets), and
2) that what they meant (or how people at the time would have interpreted it) should take precedence over existing case law or modern interpretations of what Hamilton called the "manifest tenor" of the Constitution.

This despite the Founding Fathers clearly not intending that we interpret the Constitution that way, nor was this type of interpretation actually used by the original Supreme Court justices back when they could have just asked Hamilton et al what they meant by this or that.

Your defense of originalism seems to be "no you're ignoring [something] and also it's deeper and smarter than you're presenting, and often it's used in innocuous and subtle ways," but you're not actually bothering to present any of these deeper or smarter arguments. Do you even have any book recommendations or such for those of us who are generally open to reading alternate arguments? Meanwhile, the "particular form" people are discussing is the one on the table, the one promoted by rabidly political actors who have spent decades building power in the judiciary to the extent that this extremist (version of the) philosophy has several adherents on the Supreme Court. It's led to several truly terrible decisions that impact everyone. It's a big deal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Discendo Vox posted:

The article is poo poo, I dunno why I approved it. Like it critiques all originalists of doing(and like, in practice, virtually every legal academic does), it starts with its conclusions and then works backwards from there.

It's not fully applied generally. It's usually a theory of constitutional interpretation, not general statutory interpretation, which has different connotations for the role of precedent. It's also not particularly radical (unless you're on SA). People really want originalism to be illegitimate right now because they don't have a good way to attack Gorsuch or prevent his confirmation. While it's true that a particular form of it has been beneficial to conservatives (under one definition of conservatism) thanks to the Federalists and Scalia in the past couple decades, that's basically not relevant to what the underlying legal philosophical theories are or how they work.

The democrats can't stop Gorsuch but the seat being stolen makes every other reason to oppose him (and there are many starting with his horribly regressive world view) moot.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Let us dispense with the idea that the political left is only upset with Originalism out of convenience.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Worth noting that Democrats can have up to 7 deserters on cloture.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Worth noting that Democrats can have up to 7 deserters on cloture.

And they should have a few. Joe Manchin should vote for cloture, as should Claire mccaskill.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If we can't stop 8 Dems from voting for cloture we're useless as a party and as a movement.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Franken: If there are no Democratic or Republican judges, what was Merrick Garland about?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Potato Salad posted:

Franken: If there are no Democratic or Republican judges, what was Merrick Garland about?

Oh poo poo he said the quiet part loud

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Potato Salad posted:

“It was about letting the American people decide. They rejected Crooked Hillary and Stupid Garland.”

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I used to hate Al Franken.

Following is from Salon so it's aggrivated as hell, but goddamn, this exchange from yesterday.
https://www.salon.com/2017/03/22/al-frankens-grilling-of-gorsuch-exposes-the-heartless-cruelty-behind-conservative-legal-philosophy/

quote:

“But the plain meaning rule has an exception,” Franken continued. “When using the plain meaning rule would create an absurd result, courts should depart from the plain meaning,” he said. “It is absurd to say this company is within its rights to fire him because he made the choice of possibly dying from freezing to death or causing other people to die possibly by driving an unsafe vehicle. That’s absurd.”

Then Franken added, “I had a career in identifying absurdity,” referring to his former roles as a “Saturday Night Live” writer and performer, and people in the room briefly burst out in laughter. “And I know it when I see it . . . and it makes me question your judgment.”

Platystemon posted:

“It was about letting the American people decide. They rejected Crooked Hillary and Stupid Garland.”
|/

*loses popular vote by millions*

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 22, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

I used to hate Al Franken.

Following is from Salon so it's aggrivated as hell, but goddamn, this exchange from yesterday.
https://www.salon.com/2017/03/22/al-frankens-grilling-of-gorsuch-exposes-the-heartless-cruelty-behind-conservative-legal-philosophy/

*loses popular vote by millions*

How could you possibly ever hate Al Franekn? He rules and has always ruled.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Al Franken 4 Prez

Jokers Wild

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Academician Nomad posted:

This is a stupid non-argument. It's illegitimate now (and always has been) because it's founded upon illegitimate principles,

1) that we can reconstruct the mindset of the authors of the Constitution (and do so without going into actual primary sources in depth and full context, using historical research performed by experienced and trained historians and instead often just keyword-searching for useful out-of-context snippets), and
2) that what they meant (or how people at the time would have interpreted it) should take precedence over existing case law or modern interpretations of what Hamilton called the "manifest tenor" of the Constitution.

This despite the Founding Fathers clearly not intending that we interpret the Constitution that way, nor was this type of interpretation actually used by the original Supreme Court justices back when they could have just asked Hamilton et al what they meant by this or that.

Your defense of originalism seems to be "no you're ignoring [something] and also it's deeper and smarter than you're presenting, and often it's used in innocuous and subtle ways," but you're not actually bothering to present any of these deeper or smarter arguments. Do you even have any book recommendations or such for those of us who are generally open to reading alternate arguments? Meanwhile, the "particular form" people are discussing is the one on the table, the one promoted by rabidly political actors who have spent decades building power in the judiciary to the extent that this extremist (version of the) philosophy has several adherents on the Supreme Court. It's led to several truly terrible decisions that impact everyone. It's a big deal.

Because

Discendo Vox posted:

All of the jurisprudential theories are based on fundamentally invalid foundations, depending on the criteria of evaluation. It doesn't get you to

Admitting to being an originalist should itself be grounds to keep someone off the court (really any court).

Formalism, textualism, realism etc have similar problems that are more or less severe depending on how you weigh the criteria of what jurisprudence ought to do. These problems are generally parallel to broader issues of rhetorical theory or the elements of the problem of induction. They're a collection of rhetorical techniques for justifying outcomes, not scientific methods. The fact that Republicans have been using one of those methods recently to the near-exclusion of all the others doesn't make it a special sign that someone can't be a judge.

As you continue to burden shift, move goalposts and cite to law review articles written after Scalia joined SCOTUS, let me give you a useful piece of information about law review articles in legal theory argumentation: they're almost universally low-quality arguments in service of particular outcomes, and nigh-worthless to cite in argument. The ones you are citing now aren't an exception. Law review articles, and legal academic writing from within the field generally, is really bad. The fact that you get waves of reactionary academic writing whenever a particular theory becomes more influential doesn't help your argument in any way.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 22, 2017

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

As you continue to burden shift, move goalposts and cite to law review articles written after Scalia joined SCOTUS, let me give you a useful piece of information about law review articles in legal theory argumentation: they're almost universally low-quality arguments in service of particular outcomes, and nigh-worthless to cite in argument. The ones you are citing now aren't an exception. Law review articles, and legal academic writing from within the field generally, is really bad. The fact that you get waves of reactionary academic writing whenever a particular theory becomes more influential doesn't help your argument in any way.
Jesus Christ I wasn't citing them as some kind of checkmate appeal-to-authority. I thought they were a decent exposition of some arguments I find convincing. But I guess we can skip any kind of merits of the case because you don't like legal writing?

Generally speaking it's lovely to just quote out some 20 book bibliography in an Internet argument. You can't get anywhere because the other person's not realistically going to have time/access to get to them. Law review articles are shorter, if obviously less rigorous, and these weren't behind a paywall. I guess I could go find blog posts or podcasts or something? Or just go without any longer-form expositions at all? Or is all discussion of legal philosophy of Supreme Court nominees simply futile in the SCOTUS thread?

Academician Nomad fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 22, 2017

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Why originalism is super duper awesome, 16 CALIFORNIA STRIP MALL SCHOOL OF LAW AND PEST CONTROL 152 (May 2012).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jesus Christ I wasn't citing them as some kind of checkmate appeal-to-authority. I thought they were a decent exposition of some arguments I find convincing. But I guess we can skip any kind of merits of the case because you don't like legal writing?

When your starting position is "the entirety of one of the most popular schools of constitutional interpretation is garbage and no one who agrees with it should be a judge", there's not much merit to find. And you're not going to get to that merit by citing law review articles. The arguments you cite either don't really apply to originalism as a whole body of theory unless you've already decided to condemn it (your first point) or commit the same fallacies you claim make it uniformly worthless (your second point). Both rely on selective citation and aren't able to address the other side of the induction issue, which is the role that the text of the constitution ought to play in its own interpretation.

The induction issue can't actually be solved. It's a fundamental problem of epistemic philosophy. All of the arguments of statutory and constitutional interpretation are methods of justification, and all of them have these problems. Which is why your original claim is so nuts.

EwokEntourage posted:

Why originalism is super duper awesome, 16 CALIFORNIA STRIP MALL SCHOOL OF LAW AND PEST CONTROL 152 (May 2012).

Yes, basically. Law review is pretty much the lowest form of all academic discourse, for a whole array of reasons. There can be good writing in a law review, but it's incidental to the process and setting- and it's usually there because the author has training in another field, and the article still isn't of high enough quality to get published elsewhere, or is a draft.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 22, 2017