Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah I realise that and of course intellectually I knew that these kinds of calculations must take place. But it's still quite another thing to be sat in a room and there's some guy going "well our 737 carries X number of people, expected legal liability per fatality $Y, so we're willing to spend $Z per plane on improving security this year".

The really weird thing is how we accept this as necessary for day to day running of society and commerce but you apply it to running a government and suddenly hoxhas the bad guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
There's a bit of a barney going on outside parliament - some kind of standoff with armed police and at least one dead guy.

https://twitter.com/sikorskiradek/status/844561194207920130

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/844561615731249152

https://twitter.com/westicles69/status/844560649745301505

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...r-politics-live

5m ago Reports of shooting at House of Commons

What the gently caress?

https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/844560104154419200

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

The really weird thing is how we accept this as necessary for day to day running of society and commerce but you apply it to running a government and suddenly hoxhas the bad guy
I thought we were applying it to the running of society? "The local hospital treats X number of people, but we can save $Y per year by letting Z of them die, which will allow us to reduce corporation tax by Z% for 'economically productive' people" seems to be happening a lot lately.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I was wondering how long it'd take, nowhere near the full year I gave it

Guavanaut posted:

I thought we were applying it to the running of society? "The local hospital treats X number of people, but we can save $Y per year by letting Z of them die, which will allow us to reduce corporation tax by Z% for 'economically productive' people" seems to be happening a lot lately.

yeah but when you do that the maths does not add up. Nobody is "economically inactive" unless they live in the woods and eat berries. Existence is a net corporate profit because it's all about that lovely velocity.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Here's a great speech by Chris Hedges. It's got a US bent, but is actually about general trends of facism, neo-liberalism, how the two are linked; the failure of the liberal centrists and how they've actually just pushed the corporate agenda, corporatism, nationalism and a whole bunch of other isms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na_jAtxpmiI

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Journalists on twitter are reporting an explosion followed by gunfire - one guy said someone had a knife?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

someone OP that blythe piece yo, it's like a reference cheatsheet for dishonest "centrists"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Other reports saying someone drove up onto the pavement on Westminster Bridge and was shot by Plod outside Parliament after crashing into the barriers there.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Other reports saying someone drove up onto the pavement on Westminster Bridge and was shot by Plod outside Parliament after crashing into the barriers there.

worst possible outcome

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Talk of explosions seems erroneous so far, considering there was apparently a car crash and police gunfire to account for the loud bang. Possibly 12 injured?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/844561948465418241

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This is from the Press Association.

There was a major security alert at the Palace of Westminster after a man apparently carrying a knife charged through the gates into the front yard of the parliamentary compound.

Amid shouts and screams, sounds similar to gunfire rang out.

Two people were seen to be lying within Old Palace Yard, immediately outside Westminster Hall.

The sitting in the House of Commons was suspended while police officers sealed off the area around the incident.

Immediately before the incident, at around 2.45pm, a crowd of passers-by was seen running from the direction of Westminster Bridge and around the corner into Parliament Square.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This journo is providing some tweets in his feed

https://twitter.com/CharlieCooper8/status/844563633942286336

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

has this turned into some right wing sad ill man murdering protestors because he's just so sad and ill

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Pretty sad smugcuntery going around on all sides hoping the incident supports their narrative, this is where we've gotten to nowadays.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I'm entirely in favour of directed violence at capital but what the gently caress is this amateur hour nonsense

fantastic, this oval office has killed some random protestors and non-fatally injured a cop. Better start banning everything in sight.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What was their plan, ram the fence and then stab the building? That's about the only thing they could realistically have achieved given the security there.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

HJB posted:

Pretty sad smugcuntery going around on all sides hoping the incident supports their narrative, this is where we've gotten to nowadays.

literally the only person mentioning anything but the immediate circumstance is me and that should be predictable. Kill all cops, kill yourself, kill me, end humanity.

This is going to have serious consequences and these are not going to be good. The only smug oval office here is you at the mo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This all sounds quite bad. Wonder who did it & why.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I can't tell if this Mail guy is being sarcastic

https://mobile.twitter.com/thequentinletts/status/844561262889586688

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Spangly A posted:

literally the only person mentioning anything but the immediate circumstance is me and that should be predictable. Kill all cops, kill yourself, kill me, end humanity.

This is going to have serious consequences and these are not going to be good. The only smug oval office here is you at the mo

I didn't mean this thread but it's interesting you instantly leapt to your own defence.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

I'm entirely in favour of directed violence at capital but what the gently caress is this amateur hour nonsense

fantastic, this oval office has killed some random protestors and non-fatally injured a cop. Better start banning everything in sight.
I wonder what they'll actually ban. If they banned cars in London that might actually improve things for tangential reasons, so it won't be that.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

HJB posted:

I didn't mean this thread but it's interesting you instantly leapt to your own defence.

there's a terrorist attack and you're talking about people's posting and twitter or some bullshit, the gently caress is wrong with you

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Guavanaut posted:

What was their plan, ram the fence and then stab the building? That's about the only thing they could realistically have achieved given the security there.

I think you're trying to rationally investigate the actions of a nutter

jBrereton posted:

Have a quality day that doesn't involve getting stabbed/shot at, UKMT posters.
and a terror-free day to you, goonsir :tipshat:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Have a quality day that doesn't involve getting stabbed/shot at, UKMT posters.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Probably close the street in front of Parliament for cars but keep it open for rich people, a common occurrence

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I think you're trying to rationally investigate the actions of a nutter

Let's not go down that path again.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/844566605723938816

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Apparently there were at least two separate incidents: one man rushed into the parliamentary compound with a knife and injured a policeman before being shot by the other officers stationed there, and another person used an SUV to run over multiple people on Westminster bridge before driving away. The second person may still be at large.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

That makes sense given the conflicting reports. Oh dear...

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

LemonDrizzle posted:

Apparently there were at least two separate incidents: one man rushed into the parliamentary compound with a knife and injured a policeman before being shot by the other officers stationed there, and another person used an SUV to run over multiple people on Westminster bridge before driving away. The second person may still be at large.

source that there were multiple people?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Spangly A posted:

there's a terrorist attack and you're talking about people's posting and twitter or some bullshit, the gently caress is wrong with you

You just posted *in support* of the terrorists, so please shut the gently caress up.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

this is bad for jeremy corbyn

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The timelines aren't certain yet, like did the knifer get out of the car and get the driver to cause a distraction?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

BarbarianElephant posted:

You just posted *in support* of the terrorists

What?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Looke posted:

this is bad for jeremy corbyn

I'm pretty sure he has an alibi

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

You just posted *in support* of the terrorists, so please shut the gently caress up.

no I'm not generally in favour of unannounced 5 civilian car incidents and getting yourself shot for injuring a cop

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Did he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Spangly A posted:

nah, you're definitely a smug oval office

• Locked thread