Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Policenaut posted:

Thankfully Nintendo saw fit to have us create the dots on our mini-maps and have the opportunity to miss stuff instead of automatically giving us the dots.

Yeah gently caress exploration. I like to straight line to everything in open world games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

shortspecialbus posted:

It was more on a logarithmic scale with Paper Mario from what I remember (or exponential depending which direction you want to look at it from.) I think it worked out that after a few levels, grinding the monsters that were closest to your level was basically the same as grinding level 1 monsters and nearly impossible in that it'd take hours and hours and hours to get a single level, not the normal scale of how things work.

Pretend that the level 48 monsters give 1000xp. It'd be something like
48-49: 10000xp
49-50: 15000xp
50-51: 25000xp
51-52: 500000000xp

and the level 51 monsters would give out something like 50000000xp. But you couldn't physically get to them early to powerlevel before it.

Or I'm grossly misremembering. Probably that.

drat, that really makes grinding not worth your while, like the game wants you at a certain level for balance with the illusion of freedom.

Hell in Mario and Luigi (3)ds games the enemies don't respawn with no random battle. Some of them at least I haven't played them all. So you can clear areas to be the max level but you can never overlevel. Seems like a continuation of that philosophy without the math and possibility to brute force it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Norns posted:

Yeah gently caress exploration. I like to straight line to everything in open world games.

I liked exploring in Breath of the Wild too.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Good!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

irlZaphod posted:

I hope no Fallout games come to the Nintendo Switch because Fallout 4 was pretty dull and bad.

If Fallout is your measure of a good game then :yikes:

New Vegas was good in spite of the terrible gameplay and lovely engine. The first two are supposed to be good but lol if you've tried to play them for the first time in the past decade.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I want Nintendo to go full Nintendo and release some joycon pros. Gimme some big loving grips and sticks in handheld mode.

Like that big rear end 3ds attachment for monster Hunter.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Policenaut posted:

This is literally all I do. I have only done one major dungeon/beast. I get sidetracked by just wandering around like a hunter/gatherer. It's great.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool let's go explore and look at some interesting geometry I guess. Maybe you'll find a shrine but that's it. It's not like Skyrim where you can find a town and quests. At most you'll find a enemy camp and have to slog through the boring combat once again.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Empress Brosephine posted:

Cool let's go explore and look at some interesting geometry I guess. Maybe you'll find a shrine but that's it. It's not like Skyrim where you can find a town and quests. At most you'll find a enemy camp and have to slog through the boring combat once again.

Stop trolling.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

This is a good bit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zelda has the most interesting geometry. It's got angles. It's got shapes. It's got, fuckin... Parabolas and poo poo. It's got everything.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This is literally all I do. I have only done one major dungeon/beast. I get sidetracked by just wandering around like a hunter/gatherer. It's great.

I put 50+ hours into BotW before I even went to the second major dungeon/beast. Shrine hunting has been really fun.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"No mans sky is a poo poo game there's nothing to do!!" - said while looking at trees in Zelda

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I just really hope Breath of the Wild 2: Gasp of the Savage improves on the original's tired formula by introducing factions, motorized vehicles, experience points and objective marker arrows all over the place

It almost had at least one of those things.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Skyrim is the only game that put me to sleep while playing it in the middle of the day

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

VideoGames posted:

The problem with Zelda reviews and the reactions to them is the same problem the world is currently locked within.
Everyone seems so very polarised on all sides of issues that there are large fragments of ideas and viewpoints that seem to cause friction against others. I wish this wasn't the case. I wish we (the royal we) could be a bit more willing to accept where an idea is not black and white, but many shades of context. Zelda is a small microcosm of it. For some people it truly is the best game ever. For some people it's dumb and bad and nothing compared to previous titles.

Both of these viewpoints are true and the extra curricular fun is supposed to be derived from discussing why one personality thought one way and vice versa. I feel like I say this a lot but I only do it because I want to reinforce the idea that can often be lost.

An attack on a product/idea that you hold dear is not an attack on you as a person. You are not a bad person for loving Zelda. You are not a bad person for hating Zelda.

You are, and always will be, a person. A unique person that has unique experiences in approaching a consumative media. We want to hear these experiences and discuss them.

You're too good for this forum VideoGames.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

whaley posted:

Skyrim is the only game that put me to sleep while playing it in the middle of the day

I don't get that everywhere I look people say how terrible Skyrim was. I platinumed that poo poo and loved every minute, and back in 2011 everyone else was wild about it too.

I'm looking forward to doing a more casual playthrough on the go with the dlc where I make a character who just does one thing in particular instead of everything.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I like Skyrim and Breath of the Wild

Fallout 4 is bad

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Raserys posted:

I like Skyrim and Breath of the Wild

Fallout 4 is bad

I agree, but New Vegas is amazing. The floating brain DLC is especially good.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

New Vegas is cool and good and even better when you play it on the personal computer.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Was someone in this thread saying New Vegas was bad???

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Skyrim is fine. Fallout 3 was ok. Haven't played New Vegas (I bought it in a Steam sale while drunk though, I think :v:). Fallout 4 was really disappointing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

New Vegas is lauded for the best stories in the series. Its DLC's can be REALLY poo poo though.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I put 50+ hours into BotW before I even went to the second major dungeon/beast. Shrine hunting has been really fun.

Yeah, once I did one and realized how amazing the reward was immediately did the next 2, then I held of on the 4th until I "cleared" (thought I cleared) every other area in the world. Didn't want the game to end.

Started playing Horizon Zero dawn now and I am getting pissed that I cant climb everything. But I did turn off navigation and markers to make it more BotWie

Breath of the Wild is the spiritual opposite of the "waist high wall". Its special.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Raserys posted:

Was someone in this thread saying New Vegas was bad???

They're dumb as gently caress

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

New Vegas was made by Obsidian or something instead of Bethesda, though

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Beat (but not finished) Zelda today.

It's great, GOTY unless Persona 5 lives up to Persona 4 Golden.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Spellman posted:

I just can't believe an originally 5 dollar game is now 50 dollars

Blow me, Binding of Isaac

I also can't believe it. Probably because it's not true.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Beat (but not finished) Zelda today.

It's great, GOTY unless Persona 5 lives up to Persona 4 Golden.

I've played a lot of GotY's this year and its on March. ITs a good good good loving year for games. Breath of the wild completely blew all my expectations away though. A unique and amazing experience.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Breath of the Wild is exactly the game I hoped it would be, but I agree with Austin Walker in that I'm kinda surprised at the across-the-board perfect review scores, because I can see why it's not a game for everyone.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Every piece of the game is hand touched, I don't think Nintendo is going to be making another open world game like this. It must have cost a fortune, have you looked at how long the credits are? Most open world games use procedural generation or copy pasting of areas. The Shrine puzzles alone could be a $50 puzzle game.

I hope they do, but it's going to have to sell a ton of copies to make it worth making another open world game of this scope and polish again.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Breath of the Wild is exactly the game I hoped it would be, but I agree with Austin Walker in that I'm kinda surprised at the across-the-board perfect review scores, because I can see why it's not a game for everyone.

Not you necessarily, but a lot of people put stock in "Perfect score = Perfect game" which is kind of dumb. If a game is awesome and one of the best new games of the past however many years, it deserves a perfect score since a game literally being perfect is impossible.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

"gently caress weapon durability" is a super valid complaint. Especially when it starts with just a few hits. And "play 50 hours until weapons don't suck so bad" isn't a good counter. Maybe with a proper repair system that costs gems? Or if weapons lasted 5x as long.

Its not good the way it is. Even though deep in the game I had more weapons then I knew what to do with.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've never really had trouble with durability. I'm always full up on weapons and having to toss them anyway. They are essentially ammo. A damaged weapon is just a free critical hit.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Bombadilillo posted:

I've played a lot of GotY's this year and its on March. ITs a good good good loving year for games. Breath of the wild completely blew all my expectations away though. A unique and amazing experience.

Yeah, it's not even April and there's already so many good games this year

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Weapon durability encourages you to experiment with combat. It's good.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

The 10 = perfect thing is so dumb because no reviewer uses it that way and no game is perfect except maybe Tetris. If it bothers you that much, just pretend the scale goes to 11 or 10.1 or whatever.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Nobody gets bent out of shape when an imperfect movie gets five stars

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

"gently caress weapon durability" is a super valid complaint. Especially when it starts with just a few hits. And "play 50 hours until weapons don't suck so bad" isn't a good counter. Maybe with a proper repair system that costs gems? Or if weapons lasted 5x as long.

Its not good the way it is. Even though deep in the game I had more weapons then I knew what to do with.

It doesn't help that there's no way to easily craft new weapons outside of the absurd prices for the special regional weapons, so I eventually reached a point closer to the end of the game where I stopped fighting enemies because the only steady way to get new weapons is to either find them laying around or pick them up off defeated enemies and the idea of losing a Great Flameblade or a Royal Longsword in exchange for some goblin's stick with a rock on it wasn't a very appealing proposition.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

It's a valid complaint but it's also one that isn't necessarily an issue? In this particular game the "use weapon/get new weapon" cycle flows so quickly, it's very deliberate that every encounter you're able to discard and add something. I've had more weapons than I know what to do with even from the start of the game. There have been times when I had to use a cool sword I was "saving" for later, but that's kind of the point.

It reminds me of Majora's time mechanic: it's fine if you don't like it and it's a reason you can dislike the game, but it's also a key part of the game's flow and for many people is a feature not a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
It's almost like this is the best time to be playing video games.

• Locked thread