Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

parallelodad posted:

Yeah but once Nickelodeon gets tired of it where will it go? Kids networks seem to cancel shows, even successful well liked ones, to make room for new ones on a whim.

Cartoon Network will probably be thinking it's a good idea to try a live-action block again by that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So here's a fun fact.

During the filming for the episode where Kira's "Patiently" song debuts Mesogog actor Latham Gaines was also on set to film some scenes. He was sitting around with nothing to do in full make up... and he had the idea to do his own take on the same song.

Somewhere on a shelf somewhere there's footage of Mesogog singing a pop song.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

TFRazorsaw posted:

So here's a fun fact.

During the filming for the episode where Kira's "Patiently" song debuts Mesogog actor Latham Gaines was also on set to film some scenes. He was sitting around with nothing to do in full make up... and he had the idea to do his own take on the same song.

Somewhere on a shelf somewhere there's footage of Mesogog singing a pop song.

I hope GWAR burst through the ceiling as the backup band.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

McTimmy posted:

Cartoon Network will probably be thinking it's a good idea to try a live-action block again by that time.

Cartoon Network bought rights to air Pokemon a while back, and then once the franchise really started picking up heat with Pokemon go and the new game being the fastest selling ever, they shunted probably the best series the show has ever had to 6am once a week, often preempted. I think Disney has it now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

He would later repay this by poo poo talking Disney and saying they added nothing of worth to the franchise.

This was around the time he was jockeying to come back in Megaforce and they weren't sending invitations to Disney season actors.

Jason David Frank seems like kind of an rear end in a top hat. Like, every interview I've read with him, he thinks he's the backbone of the franchise.

parallelodad posted:

Cartoon Network bought rights to air Pokemon a while back, and then once the franchise really started picking up heat with Pokemon go and the new game being the fastest selling ever, they shunted probably the best series the show has ever had to 6am once a week, often preempted. I think Disney has it now.

Yeah they moved to Disney as soon as the Sun & Moon series started.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly though one thing rewatching Dino Thunder has reminded me

These characters feel a lot more like real kids. They tease and make fun of each other. They get on each other's nerves beyond Episode Specific Conflicts. And yet you never doubt they're friends and teammates.

It all feels so much more genuine than the seasons where they all spend their time being Socially Responsible Ethical Role Models who only quarrel as part of a compressed vice or Zedd and Rita shooting them with a jerkass ray.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TwoPair posted:

Jason David Frank seems like kind of an rear end in a top hat. Like, every interview I've read with him, he thinks he's the backbone of the franchise.

He's not really but he does let this whole thing get to his head now and again. At least if Bulk and Skull's actors are to be believed I've never gotten to meet him myself.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
He takes "being a power ranger" wayyyyy too seriously, but it really seems like his heart is in the right place.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

parallelodad posted:

There may have been financial issues regarding how much CN was licensing the show for and how much they were getting for advertising and it didn't add up well enough. But :iiam:

parallelodad posted:

Yeah but once Nickelodeon gets tired of it where will it go? Kids networks seem to cancel shows, even successful well liked ones, to make room for new ones on a whim.

Quite possibly, it might go straight to Netflix

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I believe if you gave Jason David Frank a real Morpher he would do the right thing, but if you gave it to someone else, he might become possessed by the evil Dai Shi plan.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Honestly though one thing rewatching Dino Thunder has reminded me

These characters feel a lot more like real kids. They tease and make fun of each other. They get on each other's nerves beyond Episode Specific Conflicts. And yet you never doubt they're friends and teammates.

It all feels so much more genuine than the seasons where they all spend their time being Socially Responsible Ethical Role Models who only quarrel as part of a compressed vice or Zedd and Rita shooting them with a jerkass ray.

yeah the disney era definitely seems more like the sentais in that regard, a lot more leaning into what the characters are like and how they bounce off each other than just 'oh uh sometimes one is a nerd and usually there's a tomboy'

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

He's not really but he does let this whole thing get to his head now and again. At least if Bulk and Skull's actors are to be believed I've never gotten to meet him myself.

The guy is an egomaniac at the very least. It's an open secret that he never appears with Austin St. John at conventions or other outings and demands that he always be given top billing and that nothing ever be allowed to upstage him. Then there's how he tried manipulating the anniversary Morphin Madness poll to try and get all of his ranger forms, and his aforementioned shittalking of the Disney seasons despite all the attention they gave him for DT and allowances for absences during filming.

Not to mention, given how he's shown himself to be pretty much a fundie Christian, the way you can just see David Yost flinch when JDF gets in his space in recorded footage of the MMPR set, and the fact the two of them have never made any public appearances together in years since... well. I think you can draw conclusions about his involvement in certain black marks on the franchise's history.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why did they stop putting in another girl if the Sentai didn't support it?

Earlier seasons there would always be at least two, even if the Sentai had only one, but it seems starting with Ninja Storm if the Sentai had only one Power Rangers would have only one. The teams just started seeming a lot less gender balanced, which was disappointing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

parallelodad posted:

Earlier seasons there would always be at least two, even if the Sentai had only one, but it seems starting with Ninja Storm if the Sentai had only one Power Rangers would have only one. The teams just started seeming a lot less gender balanced, which was disappointing.

Wait until they adapt Kyuranger. 9 rangers, 2 girls, one of the girls is a robot suit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

The guy is an egomaniac at the very least. It's an open secret that he never appears with Austin St. John at conventions or other outings and demands that he always be given top billing and that nothing ever be allowed to upstage him. Then there's how he tried manipulating the anniversary Morphin Madness poll to try and get all of his ranger forms, and his aforementioned shittalking of the Disney seasons despite all the attention they gave him for DT and allowances for absences during filming.

Not to mention, given how he's shown himself to be pretty much a fundie Christian, the way you can just see David Yost flinch when JDF gets in his space in recorded footage of the MMPR set, and the fact the two of them have never made any public appearances together in years since... well. I think you can draw conclusions about his involvement in certain black marks on the franchise's history.

NO I don't think you loving can.

David Yost has never been shy about calling out the fact the production team bullied and belittled him.

The PRODUCTION team.

He has never once said or implied that his fellow actors did any of that, nor has literally anyone else.

Make jokes about his ego all you want, but you're crossing a very different line there with absolutely zero proof.

If David Yost has said different, that's one thing, but he never has to my knowledge.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TFRazorsaw posted:

I think Yost has said it's the crew that was dicks to him, not the cast. Frank is definitely a fundie, but I think that came later. He's more of an "extreme gains for Jesus" metal fundie than a Kirk Cameron scared of people who are different fundie.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

parallelodad posted:

disney probably didn't care as much but it doesn't help that hurricanger and abaranger start with 3 rangers then get extras, they might've been reluctant to make a '6th' ranger into a girl for whatever reason(even sentai's only done it a handful of times and never without there also being a dude somewhere)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah, I think RPM is the only series with a "sixth" ranger girl, and her twin ranger brother.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I just want a whole season of a female Red Ranger. That would be amazing.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Reading about JDF reminds me of that weird group of weight lifters that went around to schools ripping phone books in half to convince kids not to do drugs. I think they came to my school once, they couldn't rip the book apart :(.

edit: apparently they were called the Power team. How did JDF not join them?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

NO I don't think you loving can.

David Yost has never been shy about calling out the fact the production team bullied and belittled him.

The PRODUCTION team.

He has never once said or implied that his fellow actors did any of that, nor has literally anyone else.

Make jokes about his ego all you want, but you're crossing a very different line there with absolutely zero proof.

If David Yost has said different, that's one thing, but he never has to my knowledge.

I was referencing cinemablend's article about his interview, which mentions the cast and crew. If that's an erroneous description of what he says in the No Pink Spandex review then so be it.

But regardless. I was referencing this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvLwO8QZI7Q

Yost's expressions once JDF invades his space are not that of one who is comfortable around the other person. He goes from relaxed to visibly more tense.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As Nero Danced posted:

Reading about JDF reminds me of that weird group of weight lifters that went around to schools ripping phone books in half to convince kids not to do drugs. I think they came to my school once, they couldn't rip the book apart :(.

Ironically they probably could have if they did some drugs

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

parallelodad posted:

Yeah, I think RPM is the only series with a "sixth" ranger girl, and her twin ranger brother.

That was Samurai. And they simultaneously adhered too close to the Sentai plot line while totally screwing up the context in which it worked.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TFRazorsaw posted:

That was Samurai. And they simultaneously adhered too close to the Sentai plot line while totally screwing up the context in which it worked.

I never actually watched samurai. Didn't RPM have twins that had, like, cat gyrocopters or something?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

parallelodad posted:

I never actually watched samurai. Didn't RPM have twins that had, like, cat gyrocopters or something?

Oh, sorry. I got confused by the talk of a female red ranger. That's true yes.

One of the Zords was a chicken, though. Gemma had the cat and Gem had the chicken. They did their best to pretend the chicken was a falcon in PR though.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 22, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

no they're thinking of go-on wings, although idk if they were brother/sister in rpm

but yeah beside go-on silver there's magimother, the second kyoryu violet and kinda sorta the second shinken red and kyoryu cyan

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Samurai hosed up hard on the whole female ranger arc in samurai it's amazing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Magimother is awesome just for the concept of an old(ish, relatively) lady being a kickass ranger. And that actress was cool.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Tae posted:

Samurai hosed up hard on the whole female ranger arc in samurai it's amazing.

Yeah. The whole point in Shinkenger was that Takeru was never part of the Shiba Clan and that he had spent his entire life as a fraud.

Making Jaden actually related to her defanged the whole premise and all the reasons why he'd have to be upset by it.

And of course neither of them are actually Japanese.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Wait until they adapt Kyuranger. 9 rangers, 2 girls, one of the girls is a robot suit.

Having two girls basically fulfills their minimum need for female cast members, but I doubt they'll put pink in the robot suit for too long if at all

It'll be hilarious when they get the next two rangers (both males)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I was referencing cinemablend's article about his interview, which mentions the cast and crew. If that's an erroneous description of what he says in the No Pink Spandex review then so be it.

But regardless. I was referencing this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvLwO8QZI7Q

Yost's expressions once JDF invades his space are not that of one who is comfortable around the other person. He goes from relaxed to visibly more tense.

How about the fact that he literally just took up his screen time to chant something obnoxious like GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN and also the fact that he has never once implicated JDF as one of the ones responsible. He specifically called out producers at the time.

You are reading too much into it for your own reasons, which is fine up until its about some one ruining another person's life like what happened with Yost.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

no they're thinking of go-on wings, although idk if they were brother/sister in rpm

but yeah beside go-on silver there's magimother, the second kyoryu violet and kinda sorta the second shinken red and kyoryu cyan

The second Cyan needed more screen time. She was clearly too powerful for her own good

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My own reasons? I don't WANT to dislike this actor who plays a major character, who I like despite being weary of, in a franchise I care about a lot. I'm not out to get him, I'm responding to the information that's available to us. That does not look like someone who is comfortable being around that particular person, and again, what I'd read most recently mentioned Yost referring to the cast in addition to the crew and producers. As far as I'm aware he hasn't mentioned any specific names for ANYONE, or responded to anyone officially, beyond Bryan Cranston's remark about Billy being "the fey one", which was very public.

It looks sketchy to me and I think people should know if someone the franchise continues to treat like an icon potentially has this in their history. It doesn't make any of the other stuff I said about him untrue, either.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The secret thing about both Tommy and JDF is that while the show and himself tried their damnedest to portray him as a total badass, they're both complete awkward goofballs with tons of quirks.

TFRazorsaw posted:

That does not look like someone who is comfortable being around that particular person, and again, what I'd read most recently mentioned Yost referring to the cast in addition to the crew and producers.

You're kind of becoming a body language expert here. Yost's reaction here is the same as my reaction to several co-workers when they get in my cubicle space and are annoying, even though they've never wronged me. I think JDF if anything is probably a pretty annoying person.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 22, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Was there ever any official reason given for adding the silver trim to the MMPR Green helmet?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

My own reasons? I don't WANT to dislike this actor who plays a major character, who I like despite being weary of, in a franchise I care about a lot. I'm not out to get him, I'm responding to the information that's available to us. That does not look like someone who is comfortable being around that particular person, and again, what I'd read most recently mentioned Yost referring to the cast in addition to the crew and producers. As far as I'm aware he hasn't mentioned any specific names for ANYONE, or responded to anyone officially, beyond Bryan Cranston's remark about Billy being "the fey one", which was very public.

It looks sketchy to me and I think people should know if someone the franchise continues to treat like an icon potentially has this in their history. It doesn't make any of the other stuff I said about him untrue, either.

You don't see a problem propagating lies based on something you read in a headline about an actor that has no basis in reality? Lies that boil down to "this man nearly made me commit suicide"?

You don't think that's a little bit wrong to do without any kind of evidence or actually reading what he ACTUALLY said in the real interview, not the article that trumped up the headline and makes it sound like everyone was doing it to him?

And yes, he did implicate the casting director and one of the main producers in the actual interview that you apparently have not read.

And yes your own reasons. You don't like the character, and you want to turn that into a reason to not like the actor. You do this weird self justifying with a few other things as well from what I've seen.

JDF is, from all accounts, a very nice weird dude, who is super enthusiastic about the fandom and people in general and tries to do a lot of cool things. He's not very down to Earth but I couldn't imagine he would be considering he was a weird kind of celebrity in the 90s that never really went away with the core people that recognize him, on top of a pretty successful MMA career. He's never been one to start drama or hate The Gays or support harmful things.

He's banked on his career as Tommy because what the gently caress else does he have? He goes too far, I think, but that doesn't mean we get to sit and say that he probably bullied a cast member into leaving the show and nearly committing suicide.

You want to talk about a reprehensible actor that used to be a Ranger with ego problems way worse than JDF?

Try taking it to some one that deserves it.

Like our good buddy Samuell Benta who literally stole from cancer children.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

You don't like the character, and you want to turn that into a reason to not like the actor.

You know it's something to accuse me of lying and then lie about me in direct contradiction to what I said in the post you're quoting.

I'll talk about Benta when he actually comes up in conversation. He hasn't. What the hell, dude?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

jivjov posted:

Was there ever any official reason given for adding the silver trim to the MMPR Green helmet?

JDF thought it looked cool. The end.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Morby posted:

JDF thought it looked cool. The end.

That was actually his decision? How odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

You know it's something to accuse me of lying and then lie about me in direct conflict to what I said in the post you're quoting.

Except you do this

All the time

If something is super popular in the main stream thought and you don't care for it as much, you dig for any kind of flaws it may have or try to point out anything that makes it worse or equal to something that you do like more, while downplaying whatever it is that gets derided or less attention. You do this all the time with me on the threads we frequent.

This is just going in the opposite direction, and based on stuff you literally do not know.

Also I brought Benta up because with JDF, we know nothing that he has actually done wrong. Certainly nothing on the level that you're trying to accuse him.

Benta? We literally know what he did.

Richardo is questionable because who knows what happened there. Self defense or not. That's a whole other thing.