Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Looke posted:

this is bad for jeremy corbyn

You joke but its pretty much guaranteed that the usual suspects are going to jump on him for not condemning this incident fast/hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Cerv posted:

nah, you're definitely a smug oval office

yeah this is true but what can we do, eh

HJB posted:

The timelines aren't certain yet, like did the knifer get out of the car and get the driver to cause a distraction?

Is the car still not on scene? It'd be a weird coincidence, this sounds likely

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Spangly A posted:

I'm entirely in favour of directed violence at capital but what the gently caress is this amateur hour nonsense

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm pretty sure he has an alibi

can he even drive? he's famously a bike man

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

You're in the wrong thread.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cerv posted:

can he even drive? he's famously a bike man

I don't want to rule anything in or out at this early stage of investigation

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

What was their plan, ram the fence and then stab the building? That's about the only thing they could realistically have achieved given the security there.

Nobody ever accused people who go around running over and stabbing people of being bright.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
can't wait for the trump tweet

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Jose posted:

can't wait for the trump tweet

Lepen also can't hold that long, she really needs to finish

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

WeAreTheRomans posted:

source that there were multiple people?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/844566605723938816

Maybe i misinterpreted it, but my reading of that witness account is that the guy who ran away from the SUV was not the guy who was shot - if he had been, presumably the witness would've seen him fall.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Most importantly, who won PMQs today?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Looks like the copper is dead anyway, poo poo

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/844570465570033664

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/844566605723938816

Maybe i misinterpreted it, but my reading of that witness account is that the guy who ran away from the SUV was not the guy who was shot - if he had been, presumably the witness would've seen him fall.

The person seen running away could also have been entirely unrelated and just getting the gently caress out of there - eye-witness accounts are basically worthless whenever anything big and out-of-the-ordinary happens.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Might be the guy with the knife. Half the reports made in the first few hours usually turn out to be wrong for this sort of stuff.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The person seen running away could also have been entirely unrelated and just getting the gently caress out of there - eye-witness accounts are basically worthless whenever anything big and out-of-the-ordinary happens.
Well, maybe, but someone must've been driving the SUV.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I am so glad we have twitter for instant, confusing and pretty traumatising minute-by-minute accounts of bad things

I am a journalist who has studied journalistic ethics, here's a big picture of a dead guy you weren't expecting

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

So the best recap so far seems: shortly before 2;30pm, a driver mounted the curb to attack civilians and crashes at the intersection, allowing co-conspirator to break into westminster gardens while distracted, approached two police officers and attacked one, and was then given fair warning before being shot

casualties between 5-12, knife-wielding assailant assumed dead(?), at least 5 knocked by car per eyewitness reports, and air ambulance on scene and transporting people. Driver has either legged it and got away from the most heavily guarded building in the country or he's having a conversation with the police.

Anything else? there's not going to be more good info until the police and ambulance are prepared to give statements

e; the time

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 22, 2017

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Like some thing from a film.

3m ago
15:29
Rajeev Syal
Theresa May, the prime minister, was rushed in to a car forty yards from the gates outside Parliament where shots were fired minutes after the incident occurred according to footage filmed by a member of staff.

She was ushered by at least eight armed undercover police, some with their firearms drawn, in to a waiting black vehicle in Speaker’s Court, the footage seen by the Guardian shows. Loud bangs can be heard in the background as she is is ushered in to a car, but it is unclear whether the bangs are gunshots.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

UrbicaMortis posted:

Might be the guy with the knife. Half the reports made in the first few hours usually turn out to be wrong for this sort of stuff.

Very true, I'll refrain from passing commentary as you're right, it's basically totally worthless when the situation is not escalating

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jippa posted:

3m ago
Rajeev Syal
Theresa May, the prime minister, was rushed in to a car forty yards from the gates outside Parliament where shots were fired minutes after the incident occurred according to footage filmed by a member of staff.

She was ushered by at least eight armed undercover police, some with their firearms drawn, in to a waiting black vehicle in Speaker’s Court, the footage seen by the Guardian shows. Loud bangs can be heard in the background as she is is ushered in to a car, but it is unclear whether the bangs are gunshots.

Doesn't it seem like having a secure bunker inside the building would be safer than having to rush her to a car in the middle of a crisis?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
This is the fella who took the earliest footage - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rados%C5%82aw_Sikorski. He's giving interviews now.

https://twitter.com/HadjMDahou/status/844573756391591936

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sinteres posted:

Doesn't it seem like having a secure bunker inside the building would be safer than having to rush her to a car in the middle of a crisis?
Maybe when they relocate Parliament for the repairs they could put them in one of our many Secure Buildings.

The one in Leicester is even shaped like a castle, classy!

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Michael Fabricant on LBC ostensibly being interviewed about what he saw veered into promoting a piece he wrote about armed police last week for the Telegraph while also gushing about how proud he is of the police and that they'll have to face a mountain of paperwork... what an odious turd

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

Most importantly, who won PMQs today?

May apparently, BBC reckons she delivered a knock-out blow by saying "typical Labour, pulling up the ladder" when Corbyn criticised her for Grammar schools and she reminded him his own son went there.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jippa posted:

3m ago
Rajeev Syal

The BBC is saying she was put into a silver Jag :tinfoil:

I wonder if they have a dummy PM for these situations. A second one I mean..

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tortuga posted:

The BBC is saying she was put into a silver Jag :tinfoil:

I wonder if they have a dummy PM for these situations. A second one I mean..

I'm not sure they could excavate Thatcher's desiccated corpse without someone noticing.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Scottish parliament refusing to suspend sitting while Nicola Sturgeon runs for a bunker

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Private Speech posted:

May apparently, BBC reckons she delivered a knock-out blow by saying "typical Labour, pulling up the ladder" when Corbyn criticised her for Grammar schools and she reminded him his own son went there.

Glad someone is dealing with the important questions.

Also, I happened to put on BBC News & they had some pretty awful helicopter shots of a line of people on Westminster Bridge on the ground, being treated by what I presume were paramedics. It was sad. So I'll continue making lame references to PMQs & other things that don't matter until there's more details because it's either that or jokes with a nugget of truth in them lamenting that no politicians were harmed, which is probably a bit "too soon" for right now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She's got a fair while, even on the train it'd take a few hours to get to Scotland, probably longer knowing southern rail.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Detective Inspector Garbage Internet-Comments has already solved the case!

ShredsYouSay posted:

Scottish parliament refusing to suspend sitting while Nicola Sturgeon runs for a bunker
Scottish parliament is quite a long way from Westminster. Brussels is closer if someone was doing synchronized drive and stab attacks.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

quote:

Police: No terrorists have got into the building. Two have been caught
on Westminster bridge, one officer down.
We have been evacuated from Portcullis to Norman Shaw North. We have
hardly any phone signal. It is complete chaos- MPs have been told to
go back to their rooms. We are being told conflicting information
about where to go. Currently penned in a corridor with hundreds of
people.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...r-politics-live

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Sinteres posted:

Depends, if it's anything like the American presidential car with inches-thick composite armour (it's probably not but maybe halfway there) then it might be safer.

e: misunderstood the question. maybe she was nearby?

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Guavanaut posted:

Scottish parliament is quite a long way from Westminster. Brussels is closer if someone was doing synchronized drive and stab attacks.

I think it was more a "respect" thing rather than a safety thing why that msp asked if sitting should be suspended

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Suspect packet of ready salted.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trotskyist infiltrator crisps.

Obviously under a tory government pickled onion is the only acceptable flavour.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

my apologies hjb I had briefly forgotten about this thing people do

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ShredsYouSay posted:

I think it was more a "respect" thing rather than a safety thing why that msp asked if sitting should be suspended

Well, apparently it has been suspended now. Though I'm pretty sure people can show respect while still governing. Nobody bemoans journalists for lacking respect when they carry on doing their jobs and report on terror attacks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Well, apparently it has been suspended now. Though I'm pretty sure people can show respect while still governing. Nobody bemoans journalists for lacking respect when they carry on doing their jobs and report on terror attacks.

I mean I actually might do that, but I don't like journalists.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I actually might do that, but I don't like journalists.

Yeah, I feel like that's a different matter. It's not so much respect for a tragedy as it is respect for truth & decency & not stirring up xenophobia just to temporarily halt plummeting sales that you feel journos lack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

They should have suspended proceedings ages ago.

• Locked thread