Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Nobody bemoans journalists for lacking respect when they carry on doing their jobs and report on terror attacks.
I bemoan them when they jump to garbage conclusions. The first 6 hours should be "here's what happened" "here's how you can stay safe" "here's how to find out about loved ones".

Instead we get

Owlkill posted:

Michael Fabricant on LBC

e: 117 is the emergency number in Switzerland.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pissflaps posted:

They should have suspended proceedings ages ago.

Why?

Guavanaut posted:

I bemoan them when they jump to garbage conclusions. The first 6 hours should be "here's what happened" "here's how you can stay safe" "here's how to find out about loved ones".

Instead we get

The Beeb had Quentin Letts on over the phone, explaining what he saw from his window. His eye-witness testimony was very valuable because he described a man carrying "what might have been a stick".

Edit: Apologies, I misquoted Mr Letts from my memory. Have found a transcript. The phrase was "He had something in his hand, it looked like a stick of some sort"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/tobyhelm/status...%3D2583%23pti37

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, I feel like that's a different matter. It's not so much respect for a tragedy as it is respect for truth & decency & not stirring up xenophobia just to temporarily halt plummeting sales that you feel journos lack.

Well, also they're a bit like vultures, I feel like there's something inherently gross about people whose response to a bad thing happening is to run up to it and take photographs of it and use it to get publicity.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Because people were dying and fighting for their lives in an attack on the same institution they were debating.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

forkboy84 posted:

Why?

The Beeb had Quentin Letts on over the phone, explaining what he saw from his window. His eye-witness testimony was very valuable because he described a man carrying "what might have been a stick".

Edit: Apologies, I misquoted Mr Letts from my memory. Have found a transcript. The phrase was "He had something in his hand, it looked like a stick of some sort"

Perhaps it was a really sharp stick?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

OwlFancier posted:

She's got a fair while, even on the train it'd take a few hours to get to Scotland, probably longer knowing southern rail.

If you're trying to get to Scotland via southern rail you're really doing it wrong.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pissflaps posted:

Because people were dying and fighting for their lives in an attack on the same institution they were debating.

So, the terrorists win?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
oh god those corpses on my screen were children

peace out guys, hold your loved ones tonight

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dead Goon posted:

So, the terrorists win?

Yes, it looks that way?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord of the Llamas posted:

If you're trying to get to Scotland via southern rail you're really doing it wrong.

I dunno what rail it is that does the bit near London, just that it seems like all the southern operators seem to be in the poo poo.

East coast generally works albeit costing far too much.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Jaroslaw Kaczynski's also in town, for the record, and is "safe" according to reports.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think the terrorists were attacking ship-to-ship oil transfers in the Cromarty and Moray Firths.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Imagine if there had been a terrorist attack on the eu parliament resulting in dead civilians during the article 50 debate - do you honestly think it wouldn't have been suspended?

Use your brains.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Spangly A posted:

oh god those corpses on my screen were children

peace out guys, hold your loved ones tonight

I just saw this tweet:

https://twitter.com/emmaclarkuk/status/844578406473912320

It might be true, then. Jesus.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Imagine if there had been a terrorist attack on the eu parliament resulting in dead civilians during the article 50 debate - do you honestly think it wouldn't have been suspended?

Use your brains.

I think there is room for a perspective where, after an attack on an institution of democracy, maybe it is OK to not instantly close other parliaments/assemblies but allow for business to continue as normal, and that can not be disrespectful to the dead and injured. That it in fact sends a sign of not giving in to those who would rather end democracy in this country.

I respect your view but it's churlish to think it's the only reasonable one. You can show respect in a variety of ways.

Kassad posted:

I just saw this tweet:

gently caress. Horrible. Whole thing is horrible.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Kassad posted:

I just saw this tweet:

hugely heartbreaking if true

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

it's churlish to think it's the only reasonable one. You can show respect in a variety of ways.

You saw who you were responding to, yes?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

I think there is room for a perspective where, after an attack on an institution of democracy, maybe it is OK to not instantly close other parliaments/assemblies but allow for business to continue as normal, and that can not be disrespectful to the dead and injured. That it in fact sends a sign of not giving in to those who would rather end democracy in this country.

I respect your view but it's churlish to think it's the only reasonable one. You can show respect in a variety of ways.

I think you're working backwards to justify the decision that was made.

I'd ask you to consider my question about the EU parliament and answer if you'd honestly expect Westminster to continue debating Brexit under those circumstances.

mehall posted:

You saw who you were responding to, yes?

Stay classy, little cheerleader.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Looke posted:

hugely heartbreaking if true

I'm hoping that it's not because it's early reporting and so on. It's also not being reported in French media at the moment, for what it's worth.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I think you're working backwards to justify the decision that was made.

I think you're making an assumption based on everyone being as disingenuous as you, & that's very stupid because most folk aren't. And seeing how you never answer hypotheticals put to you, you've some cheek asking someone to answer one for you. But yes, if the attack had happened at the European Parliament, regardless of what was being debated there is an argument to be made to not stop debate at Westminster, Holyrood, Stormont, Cardiff, or anywhere else, because refusing to give in to terrorist threats & attacks is a positive message to send. As opposed to the peeling back of civil liberties that often occurs in the aftermath of a terror attack, which is a very negative message to send.

I also think having this argument with anyone, least of all you, right now, is a stupid idea. I realise we're twiddling thumbs until some actual concrete news comes through but this is a stupid way to do it. If you can't see the argument I'm making, whatever, I'll live.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Pretty sure both Scottish and Welsh Assemblies have now been suspended

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

I think you're making an assumption based on everyone being as disingenuous as you, & that's very stupid because most folk aren't. And seeing how you never answer hypotheticals put to you, you've some cheek asking someone to answer one for you. But yes, if the attack had happened at the European Parliament, regardless of what was being debated there is an argument to be made to not stop debate at Westminster, Holyrood, Stormont, Cardiff, or anywhere else, because refusing to give in to terrorist threats & attacks is a positive message to send. As opposed to the peeling back of civil liberties that often occurs in the aftermath of a terror attack, which is a very negative message to send.

I'm not interested in reading yet more of your opinions about me.

We've both made our position on this clear. I'll leave it to the neutral reader to determine which is more appropriate.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Woman confirmed dead, I'm guessing hit by the vehicle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39355940

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Stay classy, little cheerleader.

You don't engender debate, you decree your opinion from on high then berate those who deem it their solemn duty to disagree with you.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mehall posted:

You don't engender debate, you decree your opinion from on high then berate those who deem it their solemn duty to disagree with you.

The majority of your posts in this thread are to or about me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

The majority of your posts in this thread are to or about me.

You say this about everyone, it's never true.

Anyway

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/844583028437516288

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/844589669702623232

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

You say this about everyone, it's never true.

No I say it about those that it is true for.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

gently caress, this is just what I feared...

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
It was always going to happen, and it's gonna happen again eventually. The police response has been pretty drat fast from what I'm seeing, but London has been planning for this for ages.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Jesus christ, I was walking along that stretch literally 24 hours before it happened.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

loving great, thats that then innit, mega double down on all the everyone who isnt a british bulldog rhetoric forever. I actually hope they were the IRA

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Why?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/844589483559452676

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Rakosi posted:

It was always going to happen, and it's gonna happen again eventually.

Well that's the thing, terrorism doesn't require big plots for the security services to foil. So far this is a fuckup with a car and another with a knife, both with the motivation to hurt people. You can't prevent that kind of thing from happening, you have to stop people from wanting to do it

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Seaside Loafer posted:

loving great, thats that then innit, mega double down on all the everyone who isnt a british bulldog rhetoric forever. I actually hope they were the IRA

What an incredibly stupid loving to even think, let alone say.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Seaside Loafer posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you?

you want the Troubles to restart because you find it politically convenient?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Slightly less worse than being all the other brown foreigns as a macro group, your basic nazi oval office hates ireland in general enough already so not much of a shift and no reason to put 'Muslims attack UK, must kill them all' all over the moron press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Seaside Loafer posted:

Slightly less worse than being all the other brown foreigns as a macro group, your basic nazi oval office hates ireland in general enough already so not much of a shift and no reason to put 'Muslims attack UK, must kill them all' all over the moron press.

This is hosed up.

• Locked thread