Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I really wish I put wild card tags under my war ham. I earned them with my archaeology of Bad Threads past, but never put them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just watched episode 4 and 5, hot drat this show goes places. And we've still got up to episode 13 to go! They should make a Miller action figure by the way. Goddamn he's cool.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I visited a Tyco (sic) Engineering plant last week and somehow resisted the effort to congratulate them on the Nauvoo.

Heavy Metal posted:

Just watched episode 4 and 5, hot drat this show goes places. And we've still got up to episode 13 to go! They should make a Miller action figure by the way. Goddamn he's cool.

He is.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 22, 2017

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Dreylad posted:

All that chat about the preview and nothing about Avasarala's smiling "Wherever I goddamn liiiiiike"? Come on thread!

Look a few posts up!

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
It would be easier to avoid discussing book spoilers if we had a higher quality of show-only watchers commenting here. I'm finally watching last week's episode and there's a pretty obvious evasion by a character that hints at something that no one here has apparently noticed.

:sad:

I can't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure I'd have gone "huh, that's noteworthy!" if I were watching blind. This isn't the first thing like that that gets no recognition on the thread.

Anyway, good acting and writing by someone about a thing in this episode.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

Alternatively you could stop being a huge baby and get a drat hairless cat with a tiny hat and a drinking problem.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

gently caress this attitude. You're a dick.

There's a whole book thread where you can literally discuss anything. How hard is it to NOT say something in this thread regarding the books if it's not come up in the show yet? Spoiler: it's not. You assholes just get a semi from ruining poo poo for others.

Be cool. Goddamn.

How many people have had the show completely ruined for them by posts ITT? Probably none. Take your own advice and chill.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

It would be easier to avoid discussing book spoilers if we had a higher quality of show-only watchers commenting here.
We'd probably have a higher quality of show-only watchers if the conversation wasn't dominated by endless pages of coy hints and outright spoilers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

How many people have had the show completely ruined for them by posts ITT? Probably none. Take your own advice and chill.

I was, actually, so...

Look, we've got enough people complaining. Maybe we should have some common courtesy and institute a flat out no book spoilers policy, since a) there's already a thread for that kind of thing, and b) spoiler bars clearly aren't cutting it for this thread at least.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dreylad posted:

All that chat about the preview and nothing about Avasarala's smiling "Wherever I goddamn liiiiiike"? Come on thread!

Just watched it. I love that delivery. If the episode's Avasarala-heavy then I will be a happy camper

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Enough people have hinted about and posted spoilers without warning about what I assume is a big upcoming event in the books that I am currently reading that it is severely annoying.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I also read the book reader analysis of events that already happened in the show and retroactively spoil myself of thimgs that Ive already seen

You have ruined my life with your coy suggestions, paired with my inability to think

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

I don't think there was anything to conclusively indicate that the protomolecule was alien until season 2? I only knew it was alien because people in this thread will not shut the gently caress up about book stuff. If you just watch the show, it would be easy to assume in season one that it was created by humans.

I think if you're going to have aliens, just do it. Don't pretend to be something else for an entire season and then spring aliens on us in season two. People who wanted aliens from the beginning got bored and stopped watching, people who don't want aliens are disappointed when they show up.

It did seem like he was different after he had that conversation with the scientist where the scientist told him he should have it done, but I think it's meant to be a fake out, so we won't be sure if he's changed or not but it'll turn out he didn't go through with it.

I too am dumb and have eyes of glaze, to notice Dresden speaking of the PM and noting that it is both extrasolar and something that is unknown to protogen

Woe! If only i knew the meaning of extrasolar! If only I watched the show with my brain turned on!

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Phi230 posted:

I also read the book reader analysis of events that already happened in the show and retroactively spoil myself of thimgs that Ive already seen

You have ruined my life with your coy suggestions, paired with my inability to think

I remember when after I graduated from college my mom told me some stories about how her college experience was similar to and differed from mine. It ruined what had previously been a good experience. I shared my experience of despair with my former roommate, a cool kid named Seung-Hui, and he didn't take it well, either.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Book readers are good to have around because they're the only defense against an onslaught of blind inattentive tv watchers which, as far as I can tell, is everyone but me.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Gotta pay tribute to bae
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=888880825

That Miller's life also sucked.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Are you guys arguing spoiler tags or just no spoilers at all? I'm down with using tags

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
So if I say "The show is deviating so much from the book I don't think we will get to meet the pinkwater mercs." Am I book spoiling? I think it's a big change worth discussing that Ganymede in the show is about a refugee crisis where as the books was about a cascading ecosystem collapse.

No, the book thread is not the place to discuss the show but until a spoiler show thread is created I think it is appropriate to discuss contrasts between the show and its source material and media.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think having everyone fleeing Ganymede in the show helps feed the OPA tension nice and directly. Now there are refugees everywhere, eating OPA emergency rations, whose homes were collateral damage for the inyalowda coyos

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Are you guys arguing spoiler tags or just no spoilers at all? I'm down with using tags
Yeah, I've been staying out of this 'cause I can't tell either.

Spoiler tags are good. Hinting at stuff outside of tags makes you an rear end in a top hat. That much is clear to me at least.

Are people actually arguing that someone posting, "wow, this is better than the book, where they did [x]" is partially ruining the thread for them? Because I post like that on occasion, and I wouldn't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment of this pretty awesome show. Is referencing the books at all bookposting?

Personally I'm open to not doing things that bother other people, but it's not entirely clear what that is, and it'd be kind of futile for me to do something if most others aren't on board (which it sounds like they're not).

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Eiba posted:

Are people actually arguing that someone posting, "wow, this is better than the book, where they did [x]" is partially ruining the thread for them? Because I post like that on occasion, and I wouldn't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment of this pretty awesome show. Is referencing the books at all bookposting?

Personally I'm open to not doing things that bother other people, but it's not entirely clear what that is, and it'd be kind of futile for me to do something if most others aren't on board (which it sounds like they're not).

I'm guilty of this but I prefer this thread to the book thread because this thread is more in-line with where I am book-wise and I've already, ironically, had major stuff spoiled for me by untagged spoilers in the book thread. :(

I don't see how "X is different from the book" chat is harmful, but I'll spoiler tag it anyways.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Eiba posted:

Spoiler tags are good. Hinting at stuff outside of tags makes you an rear end in a top hat. That much is clear to me at least.
Sometimes even spoiler-tagged replies to some speculation is pretty assholish. Quite a few times it could be interpreted as confirmation, and often rightly so.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If people were actually posting major spoilers like "Miller dies" then I could see the point, but most of the complaints are about minor details, and treating them like major spoilers.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I don't post in this thread a whole hell of a lot, but I find it to be a very good and informative thread, especially by TVIV standards. I haven't read the books (yet) and I'm also a hugely tremendous piss baby when it comes to spoilers, and I think this thread has generally been really careful and sensitive to them.

Surely there are more like me so I just wanted to pop in to say that. :)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Haven't read the books and book spoilers that are behind labeled spoiler tags are fine by me, it's not that big a deal. :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I haven't read the books and I could care less about spoilers, but 95% of the book spoilers that have been posted here have been behind giant walls of black that are incredibly easy to avoid. You'd have to be really careless to a) stumble over them and b) remain hovered over them long enough to actually read the spoiler itself.

This thread is good by TVIV standards and splitting it into a zero spoiler thread and a book spoiler thread would just give you two mediocre threads.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Blackchamber posted:

Alternatively you could stop being a huge baby and get a drat hairless cat with a tiny hat and a drinking problem.

I have a cat, I'm gonna do what's right and put some space moonshine in their mug!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love theories and wish people posted more speculation and comparisons, even if you dun read the books and are posting about how things are different and how you wonder how they'll handle X thing now that Y thing is totally different.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
But really, rewatch the scenes where Naomi and Holden confront Prax, there's some good stuff in there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Number Ten Cocks posted:

But really, rewatch the scenes where Naomi and Holden confront Prax, there's some good stuff in there.

I was yelling at the screen during that scene that they were idiots not picking up on the clues he was dropping.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

More than many shows I've watched, this show really benefits from rewatches. There a tons of little details in the background that fill out the characters, world, and connect the bigger story together. Things like the Coriolis effect on Miller's whiskey, or the French doctor on the rescue ship to Eros showing up as a talking head on TV the episode before. I'm certain I'm forgetting or missing other examples and that doesn't count the explicit book foreshadowing/reference​s peppered throughout.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It's perfectly reasonable for people to post book stuff REALLY CAREFULLY with an over abundance of spoiler tags, if it gets at all into things that aren't revealed. Some people have definitely demonstrated that. There are always a few assholes who just refuse to get it.

I will fall back on: "...it's cool to mention things that have already happened and even discuss differences and expound on show happenings as long as you're not spoiling future stuff."

I think a general rule of not specifically discussing upcoming events from the books is fair? I think most people who want to know book things just want to know MORE about stuff they've seen on the show or about how things were modified.
This prevents spoilers and still lets us get into book stuff relatively safely. I can't see how there's any value in revealing upcoming plot points from the books in this thread. There are other places to get that info if someone wants it.
Certainly willing to discuss how that's too restricting if someone thinks so.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 23, 2017

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think background detail and stuff the show has definitely moved past is fine, but stuff like this from a page back is no bueno:

Smiling Jack posted:

Book Draper and several other characters realize that training at 1g and living at 1g are very different things.

(wasn't originally spoiled.) Like, it's not a huge plot detail revealed by any stretch but it's unquestionably something the show hasn't gotten to yet. This, to me, is a dick move. Book readers drop in on discussions about the future of the show with an authoritative air that can totally rub people the wrong way because it short circuits fun discussion.

Also in general don't be a dingleberry about it and if someone says 'hey you shoulda spoilered that' maybe edit your post, it's not that drat hard. Calling it out just tends to draw attention to it and make it worse, though. Someone is gonna bitch at me for quoting the above, I bet. :shrug:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's a really petty thing to complain about. In addition to being an incredibly minor detail (like maybe a sentence or two in the book), it's also a known scientific fact.

e: In the book they say that the Earth revolves around the Sun!!!

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 23, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NmareBfly posted:

I think background detail and stuff the show has definitely moved past is fine, but stuff like this from a page back is no bueno:

(wasn't originally spoiled.) Like, it's not a huge plot detail revealed by any stretch but it's unquestionably something the show hasn't gotten to yet. This, to me, is a dick move. Book readers drop in on discussions about the future of the show with an authoritative air that can totally rub people the wrong way because it short circuits fun discussion.

Also in general don't be a dingleberry about it and if someone says 'hey you shoulda spoilered that' maybe edit your post, it's not that drat hard. Calling it out just tends to draw attention to it and make it worse, though. Someone is gonna bitch at me for quoting the above, I bet. :shrug:

1. They say Draper is going to Earth explicitly in the show, as of like an episode or two ago.

2. Season 9 sneak peak, promo both have shots and scenes of Draper on Earth.

If its being promoted by the show, its fair game.

If its being said by the show, it can be fair game.

If both, its absolutely without question fine.

There is absolutely no reason anybody should be spoiled by the fact Draper goes to Earth for the conference. How do I know this, assuming I didn't read the books? Because the show tells me to my face, in clear and concise language. IE, "Draper you're going to Earth for a peace conference" -Thorsson.

Not even to mention the promo or sneak peak

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

NmareBfly posted:

This is pants on head idiotic and if you consider that a spoiler you're a loving idiot smdftb

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
There are people who think trailers are spoilers.

Spoiler culture is beyond stupid.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In the books the meeting takes place at a large oak table while in the upcoming episode which I've now ruined, everyone seems to have a small table of their own.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Phi230 posted:

1. They say Draper is going to Earth explicitly in the show, as of like an episode or two ago.

2. Season 9 sneak peak, promo both have shots and scenes of Draper on Earth.

If its being promoted by the show, its fair game.

If its being said by the show, it can be fair game.

If both, its absolutely without question fine.

There is absolutely no reason anybody should be spoiled by the fact Draper goes to Earth for the conference. How do I know this, assuming I didn't read the books? Because the show tells me to my face, in clear and concise language. IE, "Draper you're going to Earth for a peace conference" -Thorsson.

Not even to mention the promo or sneak peak
Well, I think you're missing the point about the spoiler.

What is spoiled from the books is there is a specific scene where Bobbie has that revelation. It's an important character moment for her, part of her understanding that everything she'd assumed is doused in ridiculous propaganda.

Bobbie having that specific revelation is not a spoiler because it indicates she goes to Earth, it's a spoiler because it's a specific thing that changes her character when she goes to Earth, and it arguably loses something of its impact without the full context.

I wasn't going to mention anything at the time, but it was a kind of lovely spoiler.

Milky Moor posted:

There are people who think trailers are spoilers.

Spoiler culture is beyond stupid.
Who cares? Some people would rather experience things as a whole, rather than getting out of context snippets of it before. You don't care. So why not respect the wishes of the people who do care?

If someone's emotionally freaking out about something, sure, that's undignified. If that's the kind of thing you make fun of, go ahead. But if folks are just talking about preferences, why get worked up about it yourself? No point in deliberately being a dick after someone says "please don't be a dick".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

get a loving life jfc

• Locked thread