Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Magic the Gathering: My Basic Land's Better Than Your Basic Land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Here's that truly spectacularly awful box btw. Minus one Past in Flames a friend bought off me for 2 whole bucks

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ShaneB posted:

Here's that truly spectacularly awful box btw. Minus one Past in Flames a friend bought off me for 2 whole bucks

That's a loving spectacle.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I just got a MODO account because I want to draft while sitting around unshowered on a Sunday morning. But sometimes maybe I want to play a bit of constructed.

Can someone post that UR zombies list that gets referenced around here as a fun budget deck? Also, a quick recommendation for a good bot chain? Cardhoarders fine?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thanks guys, now I want to go out and buy dozens of different basic lands.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
You're a scrub if you're not already using Unmastered's 3D lands

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Jace:VP is still over 25 dollars despite Frontier crashing and burning. Wut.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

anglachel posted:

Its a mythic that one day could be good. Its another good card without a deck atm so people will want to hold off on moving him for cheap.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

anglachel posted:

No guys Frontier is the new Modern!!!!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Frontier appears to be dominated by pumped-up standard decks from BFZ onward which leads me to believe that it sucks rear end.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Joel Larsson has a Frontier article at the top of CFB about his recent experience and now love of the format.

Guess it's something that's going to be pushed since Standard is so bad

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Boxman posted:

I just got a MODO account because I want to draft while sitting around unshowered on a Sunday morning. But sometimes maybe I want to play a bit of constructed.

Can someone post that UR zombies list that gets referenced around here as a fun budget deck? Also, a quick recommendation for a good bot chain? Cardhoarders fine?

Here you go:

R/U Zombies

Decklist:

4 Advanced Stitchwing
4 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Stitchwing Skaab
4 Cathartic Reunion
4 Fevered Visions
3 Fiery Temper
4 Kozilek's Return
3 Lightning Axe
3 Tormenting Voice

6 Island
7 Mountain
2 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Wandering Fumarole

SB: 3 Dispel
SB: 1 Fiery Temper
SB: 2 Nahiri's Wrath
SB: 2 Negate
SB: 2 Release the Gremlins
SB: 2 Wretched Gryff
SB: 1 Lightning Axe
SB: 1 Key to the City
SB: 1 Shock

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
Frontier should have never included fetch lands with no controller card like blood moon.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheAsterite posted:

Frontier should have never

Fixed for you.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

anglachel posted:

I mean, some Grixis Control builds in Modern used him for a while, so there's that.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
https://twitter.com/MagicOnline/status/844585729309081600

I guess they found someone who was willing to copy and paste card names into a list.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Hellsau posted:

I guess they found someone who was willing to copy and paste card names into a list.

"The system works!"

I feel bad for that dev team because they probably have solutions for a lot of the more glaring issues on MTGO that they could implement if only they had more resources.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ThePeavstenator posted:

"The system works!"

I feel bad for that dev team because they probably have solutions for a lot of the more glaring issues on MTGO that they could implement if only they had more resources.

Beat quote ever ITT:

"It's too bad that this multimillion dollar brand owned by a billion dollar corporation can't solve the gargantuan task of allocating an appropriate amount of resources to a real product that they charge money for."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

this is actually worse then if they had taken the month, cause it means that when they made that tweet they could have always done it this easily

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

mandatory lesbian posted:

this is actually worse then if they had taken the month, cause it means that when they made that tweet they could have always done it this easily

welcome to software dev, where simple fixes take weeks or months due to the standard release process

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

welcome to software dev, where simple fixes take weeks or months due to the standard release process

That's not just software. Change management in all industries varies from difficult (commodities) to onerous (automotive) to impossible (life science).

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

What do these have to do with MTGO though? :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

the simple fix didn't actually take weeks, and it clearly never needed weeks

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You're literally asking for them to not publish any estimates on when they might fix an issue.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

that's my whole point

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

It potentially could have needed weeks. It definitely shouldn't have needed weeks, but the MTGO's management is allegedly horrendous and the devs might not have been allowed to implement the easy fix of "add cards to list" and somehow, WotC decided that it was a better PR move to tell their customers that it takes four weeks to add cards to a list than to hire more devs to not be so short handed that they have to leave such an embarassing situation be for four weeks.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hellsau posted:

It potentially could have needed weeks. It definitely shouldn't have needed weeks, but the MTGO's management is allegedly horrendous and the devs might not have been allowed to implement the easy fix of "add cards to list" and somehow, WotC decided that it was a better PR move to tell their customers that it takes four weeks to add cards to a list than to hire more devs to not be so short handed that they have to leave such an embarassing situation be for four weeks.

It's not about hiring more devs; it's about pushing out a fix outside of the standard development cycle. Even a quick/simple fix needs to be tested and QA'ed and pushed live*.

*though FWIW, QA is probably where MTGO is the most understaffed

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ShaneB posted:

I feel better about doing one draft and opening nothing more expensive than a Path to Exile in my 3packs + prize pack now.

You just gotta go back in time to when Bonfire was a $40 Standard card.

Did you seriously get no foil rares, and no Paths or Inquisitions or Serum Visions? There's even some commons in the set that are worth a bit in foil, like Spell Pierce.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Entropic posted:

I feel better about doing one draft and opening nothing more expensive than a Path to Exile in my 3packs + prize pack now.

You just gotta go back in time to when Bonfire was a $40 Standard card.

Did you seriously get no foil rares, and no Paths or Inquisitions or Serum Visions? There's even some commons in the set that are worth a bit in foil, like Spell Pierce.

Uncommons of any value are: Terminate, Path, Lingering Souls. Only foil rare was Cyclonic Rift. I guess that's $10.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's not about hiring more devs; it's about pushing out a fix outside of the standard development cycle. Even a quick/simple fix needs to be tested and QA'ed and pushed live*.

Yeah it's likely that it got added to the end of whatever they were working on and then moved up when everyone complained

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

TheChirurgeon posted:

if you don't have api level automation (and this should eb handled by an api) written to cover stuff like this lol hell a unit test should be sufficient for "is bool there"

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Holy crap MM3 drafts at GP Orlando this weekend are $50 each? I could have sworn when I checked last week they were $35. I was hoping to maybe get in a couple if I scrubbed out of the main event but gently caress that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

St0rmD posted:

Holy crap MM3 drafts at GP Orlando this weekend are $50 each? I could have sworn when I checked last week they were $35. I was hoping to maybe get in a couple if I scrubbed out of the main event but gently caress that.

I am sure that extra money goes toward prize support.

:laffo:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So Lsv moved out anyone know what's the deal?

Moved out of what

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 23, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with 10 dollar packs will continue to be the fact that the cards inside have a median value of 0

Entropic posted:

Don't 👏 Crack 👏 Packs 👏 For 👏 Value

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mm17 is 25 backs to draft online?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Hellsau posted:

The "simple fix" (which is usually working late and/or copy-pasting a bunch of stuff) was probably what the devs were avoiding because those are usually either tedious, a band-aid over a more serious issue of the system's design, or both. Also a "quick fix" for "just one thing" is a bad thing to start jamming in your releases because if you do that you set a precedent that it can be done and you basically defeat the whole purpose of having a development cycle.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ThePeavstenator posted:

The "simple fix" (which is usually working late and/or copy-pasting a bunch of stuff) was probably what the devs were avoiding because those are usually either tedious, a band-aid over a more serious issue of the system's design, or both. Also a "quick fix" for "just one thing" is a bad thing to start jamming in your releases because if you do that you set a precedent that it can be done and you basically defeat the whole purpose of having a development cycle.

But they've already set the precedent of having cards be legal in their respective formats when they're released.

But I suppose they've also set the precedent of not fixing mistakes, so it's kind of a tossup.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Sickening posted:

I am sure that extra money goes toward prize support.

It is a much higher prize payout than a lot of the other side events, but still just an obnoxiously rapacious rake.

$50 x 8 players = $400/pod

600 prize tix for pod (400/1st, 200/2nd)

10 tix = 1 standard pack ($2-3)
100 tix = $25 SCG gift cert

If we're generous and call face-value of a prize wall ticket 25 cents (ignoring the fact that it's company scrip that they get to claim an additional margin on), we get roughtly $150 in prize support, making the cost of the draft - prizes $250/pod or $31.25/player or $10.42/pack. After all prizes are paid out they're still charging well over MSRP just for the privilege of drafting and playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

mm17 is 25 backs to draft online?

Don't worry I'm sure they'll put up $12 phantom drafts at some point

• Locked thread