Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Daredevil Seasons 1 and 2 were ok, 2 was maybe worse than 1. Jessica Jones was also ok but had horrible pacing (i think Killgrave was introduced too early). Luke Cage started strong but got worse as it went. I haven't watched Iron Fist yet.

Out of all of them that I've seen, they're all still better than the 1st half of Agents of SHIELD Season 1.

Also I think it's been mentioned already but I do like how this season has had 3 distinct (but connected) story arcs. I think it has worked really well. Doing 22 episodes about essentially the same thing really drags (even the 13 eps of the Netflix shows does).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Also I think it's been mentioned already but I do like how this season has had 3 distinct (but connected) story arcs. I think it has worked really well. Doing 22 episodes about essentially the same thing really drags (even the 13 eps of the Netflix shows does).

The three-act structure for seasonal construction has been around for a while; most genre shows easily fall into it. This is particularly true of 22 episode seasons, largely bolstered by the need to insert climaxes during the sweep ratings periods, who tend to coincide with act climaxes. For example, every season of any Mutant Enemy show largely tracks this way, from SHIELD to Buffy.

For its faults, Iron Fist gets some very basic structural things correct that several other Netflix shows gently caress up (Luke Cage being a primary example, but several other Netflix shows fail this), in terms of pacing its acts and treating episodes like individual nuggets of content.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Yakmouth posted:

I'm still working through Iron Fist but I'm liking it lots.

It's an Origin Story, exactly like Luke Cage, JJ and S1 Daredevil was.

I can sort of understand the hate, but I don't share it.

(AoS is better, but it's had four years to figure itself out).

I've only seen episode 1 so far, but it seems really meh. I'll probably finish it because I'm terrible.

It's not just that it's an origin story, it just feels like such a retread. Marvel stole half the plot of Batman Begins when they made Dr Strange, now we know where the other half of that stolen plot went.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

DD Season 1 is almost a perfect series. The last episode, specifically the ending, feels mildly rushed but otherwise the show is perfect. You have developed villains (and plenty to set up for later), a supporting cast that had chemistry, and some pretty drat good stunts with Daredevil.

Jessica Jones mostly had a solid show, though I think it dragged a bit in the middle, but I believe it ended strong.

Luke Cage is the only one I haven't re-watched. First half was pretty strong, but the second half loving sucked. Still Coulter rocks as Cage and it is worth watching for that alone.

Iron Fist is just aggressively mediocre with flashes of being horrible. I can't say I've seen one genuinely good scene...well, except for Ward giving his dad the finger.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Open Source Idiom posted:

The three-act structure for seasonal construction has been around for a while; most genre shows easily fall into it. This is particularly true of 22 episode seasons, largely bolstered by the need to insert climaxes during the sweep ratings periods, who tend to coincide with act climaxes. For example, every season of any Mutant Enemy show largely tracks this way, from SHIELD to Buffy.
There's a big difference between a season-long arc split into a clear beginning-middle-end, and what Agents of SHIELD is doing this season, though.

Compare last season with this season and it's night and day. A lot of shows struggle with pacing on season-long arcs.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

notthegoatseguy posted:

Luke Cage is the only one I haven't re-watched. First half was pretty strong, but the second half loving sucked. Still Coulter rocks as Cage and it is worth watching for that alone.

Yeah I would divide Luke Cage into two parts because once they finished off Cottonmouth and introed the magic bullet they dropped into goofy comics territory (Toaster in the bath to shock him back to life? oh jeez). I feel there was more to the Mariah/Cottonmouth history that could have played out and also been compared to Luke's childhood (with Diamondback).

I so far have enjoyed Iron Fist, but I also enjoyed AoS from the beginning, so maybe I'm just broken :downs:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
JJ is my favorite Netflix show and is also the one I will never go back to rewatch.

That show is so goddamn oppressive with how it tosses it's themes at you that I was loving it but physically got ill while watching it.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I liked Iron Fist, but a slightly better show set around these events would have been The Adventures of Colleen Wing and her goofy mystical-kung-fu boyfriend

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Dexo posted:

JJ is my favorite Netflix show and is also the one I will never go back to rewatch.

That show is so goddamn oppressive with how it tosses it's themes at you that I was loving it but physically got ill while watching it.

I used to think Iron Man 3 was the MCU's story about PTSD

Then I saw JJ

It is SO good, but SO intense.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

irlZaphod posted:

There's a big difference between a season-long arc split into a clear beginning-middle-end, and what Agents of SHIELD is doing this season, though.

Compare last season with this season and it's night and day. A lot of shows struggle with pacing on season-long arcs.

Yeah, I think genre shows tend to break into 2 parts that connect pretty clearly. Its basically a midseason cliffhanger that resolves some mystery or initial threat to introduce a much bigger one. Sometimes they have more distinct 2 parts that stand alone, SHIELD seemed to do that the last season or two. But this season of SHIELD's the only one I can think of that has 3 distinct parts. Although the Ghost Rider section kind of stands alone while the LMD one doesn't really get resolved but just builds up into the Hydra part more like the usual thing.

Overall I just think its good that they're pacing their stories to how much they think it needs and the fact that they're managing to match it with teh long breaks in airing is also good for viewing. So if next season (if there is a next season so all the "its getting cancelled" people don't jump down my throat) it has 2 parts because that's what they think is the right pacing, cool.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yakmouth posted:

I'm still working through Iron Fist but I'm liking it lots.

It's an Origin Story, exactly like Luke Cage, JJ and S1 Daredevil was.

I can sort of understand the hate, but I don't share it.

(AoS is better, but it's had four years to figure itself out).

I don't want to get all comic book nerd, but for being an Origin Story they removed absolutely *all* the interesting parts of Iron Fist's story.

Every time they set up a scene for rich flashback... nothing

"Oh this is a perfect segue to K'un-L'un where he... nope"

"Oh, this is where we get him training to... nope"

It's just a flat story that tells you *nothing* about Danny Rand other than he sticking rich and is also Iron FIst.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mind boggling that they don't utilize the most unique elements about Iron Fist. Why didn't they just choose any of the dozens "good at kick punching" type guys without powers in Marvel? Because that's all Danny is in this show.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought episode 2 was better than the first, but not, you know, a lot. I'm mostly watching at this point because the old lady from DDS1 was in the previews.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

flosofl posted:

I don't want to get all comic book nerd, but for being an Origin Story they removed absolutely *all* the interesting parts of Iron Fist's story.

It's just a flat story that tells you *nothing* about Danny Rand other than he sticking rich and is also Iron FIst.

That's a fair criticism, it is. I liked the show anyway :shrug:

What I'd meant with my comment is that, just like the other Defenders, Danny starts the series off with his powers right away but he hasn't yet learned how to be a hero. So I guess I'm more forgiving of Danny being pretty emotionally stunted throughout the show. I've been told people enjoy character development from their leads -- if Danny starts episode 1 as a master of zen with all his poo poo together, well where's he supposed to go from there?

Even as I'm typing this out I can counter-argue what I just wrote (I'm a fanboy but I'm not critically blind). Unlike the other defenders Danny finishes his show not knowing how to be a hero; he's just as messed up (arguably more) as when he started. That's disappointing. To me, Iron Fist didn't feel like a Netflix Mini-series the way Jessica Jones or Luke Cage did. Iron Fist felt like the first half of a network show that got cancelled mid season. It felt like it didn't finish, it just ended (if that makes sense).

I enjoyed it just fine, and I have a knee-jerk reaction to defend the things I like. But honestly, it's not a hill I'd be willing to die on. I can't argue against the Iron Fist people wanted (Asian-American lead, MMA lead, more focus on the mystical elements of the source material), this show is obviously not that. All I can say is that taken on its own terms, I thought the show was a good thirteen hours spent.

Yakmouth fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 22, 2017

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Aside from the lackluster fighting, my biggest complaint was: why is Gau part of the Hand? How is that a thing? There was no connection to that in Daredevil, she was doing her own thing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Soonmot posted:

Aside from the lackluster fighting, my biggest complaint was: why is Gau part of the Hand? How is that a thing? There was no connection to that in Daredevil, she was doing her own thing.
They wanted to streamline the big villain for the Defenders so everything turns out to be part of the Hand

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Soonmot posted:

I'm more concerned that the show introduces, and then forgets, that she has telekinesis

I cant remember if she's every made explicitly NOT Hand in DD. DD S1 has her being all weird and mystical, and Nobou being a random ninja, and S2 retcons him into being Hand, right?

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 22, 2017

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Nobu was part of the organization handling the Black Sky stuff, which is pretty much Hand property isn't it?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm more concerned that the show introduces, and then forgets, that she has telekinesis

I cant remember if she's every made explicitly NOT Hand in DD. DD S1 has her being all weird and mystical, and Nobou being a random ninja, and S2 retcons him into being Hand, right?
Nah Nobou was always Hand judging by his ninja gear in DD S1

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 22, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

[spoiler] [/quote]? God how do I even manage to tie my shoelaces.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

flosofl posted:

Every time they set up a scene for rich flashback... nothing

"Oh this is a perfect segue to K'un-L'un where he... nope"

"Oh, this is where we get him training to... nope"

It isn't even about being a comic book nerd (I am not one). Making his struggle between defending K'un-L'un and defending our world a more difficult one would have been good! Making his training turn out to be useful would have been good (it worked in The Karate Kid)! Giving him a conflict other than "I am an idiot and blunder into everything with my heart on my sleeve" would have been good!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

They wanted to streamline the big villain for the Defenders so everything turns out to be part of the Hand

It's also mildly racist because all asians are the same and interchangeable, amirite?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Doesn't she leak some information to Matt about Nobu because the Hand were squeezing her out of her turf in Season 2?

I also don't buy the 'they couldn't do a Shang Chi show instead because they don't have the rights Fu Manchu' since they could have easily made him Madame Gao's son instead.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 22, 2017

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I also don't buy the 'they couldn't do a Shang Chi show instead because they don't have the rights Fu Manchu' since they could have easily made him Madame Gao's son instead.

Or they could just call him Zheng Zu.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Or keep Danny and they could have gone with the original actor they had in mind before Loeb/Perlmutter stepped in;
http://m.imdb.com/name/nm1167985/?ref_=m_ttfcd_cl42

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Or keep Danny and they could have gone with the original actor they had in mind before Loeb/Perlmutter stepped in;

I don't know if we can blame Loeb or Perlmutter for anything. Lots of the problems (poor pacing, poor characterization) are seen in other Netflix shows and in many cases their producers/directors said they've had nearly complete freedom; its just these problems weren't mitigated by a competent showrunner so we got this trash that doesn't really say anything, nor is it overtly entertaining. It is just trash.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, Iron Fist is way more tied to Cage, Jones, and DD than Shang Chi or anyone else, no? It doesn't seem at all surprising me that they they'd want him with the Defenders and that they'd make him more "street" and grounded to fit the rest of them. More "Heroes for Hire", less "dragons."

Admittedly, I still haven't watched it so I'm flying blind.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, Iron Fist is way more tied to Cage, Jones, and DD than Shang Chi or anyone else, no? It doesn't seem at all surprising me that they they'd want him with the Defenders and that they'd make him more "street" and grounded to fit the rest of them. More "Heroes for Hire", less "dragons."

Admittedly, I still haven't watched it so I'm flying blind.

He's not grounded. It takes a few episodes before he even wears shoes . . . or showers . . . or changes his clothing. Iron Fist's nuanced strategies for dealing with enemies are 1) go in the front door, punching, and 2) sneak in, punching on the way out. He fights to retain control of a company he visits two or three of times for company (i.e. not anti-Hand) business.

Like, yes, he's more grounded than putting Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Daredevil with the Angel Summoner, but compared to the other Defenders, he is absolutely the group's BMX Bandit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I was just going by the idea that people seem to really want him to be dealing with dragons and crazy mystical magical poo poo but like the entire point of the Defenders' shows are they're street level New York City heroes so that was probably never going to be a big part of Iron Fist S1.

But I should really stop commenting on a show I haven't watched. I'm being dumb.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Was this a fan casting or was this seriously an option the studio had? Where'd you hear about this?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

STAC Goat posted:

Well I was just going by the idea that people seem to really want him to be dealing with dragons and crazy mystical magical poo poo but like the entire point of the Defenders' shows are they're street level New York City heroes so that was probably never going to be a big part of Iron Fist S1.

But I should really stop commenting on a show I haven't watched. I'm being dumb.

There's actually a pretty funny scene where a guy from K'un Lun is explaining the whole dragon thing to a character from New York. "You mean like a komodo dragon, a big lizard?" "No, a gigantic dragon." "Did he have to kill it? "Ha ha no, the dragon is undying!"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pan Dulce posted:

Was this a fan casting or was this seriously an option the studio had? Where'd you hear about this?

The actor himself, they brought him in to read for Danny a few times before they went with Finn Jones for the GoT connection. Given what he did with the small role they ended up giving him I can't believe they decided on Jones because he was the better actor.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Then why choose Iron Fist if you're not going to use any of the things that makes Iron Fist unique than the hundreds of other characters whose abilities boil down to "super skilled kick puncher"? I don't think it is an unrealistic expectation to expect to see a dragon when it is mentioned several times and is how the character in question got his one super power.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Then why choose Iron Fist if you're not going to use any of the things that makes Iron Fist unique than the hundreds of other characters whose abilities boil down to "super skilled kick puncher"? I don't think it is an unrealistic expectation to expect to see a dragon when it is mentioned several times and is how the character in question got his one super power.

Because Iron Fist is really deeply tied to the other Defenders, especially Luke Cage, so fits into the picture in that sense?

That's my point. I never read a lot of Iron Fist but my take has always been that there's basically two sides of him. The "punching dragon" stuff and the "Heroes for Hire" stuff. Iron Fist wasn't just placed with the Defenders because he's "punchy kicky". In the comics he's Luke Cage's best friend and longtime partner, the godfather to Cage and Jones' kid, and WAS Daredevil for awhile to help Matt. Most of my personal knowledge of Iron Fist comes from his appearances with these other characters in their books and stories.

Like, my hope for "Phase 2" of the Netflix series' is more intermingling where Cage returns to JJ S2, Rand joins Cage S2 for a Heroes for Hire thing, and maybe Fist S2 expands on some of the more out there Iron Fist stuff.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am hoping that the thing that unifies the four heroes isn't "bad guys killed Claire Temple." With SHIELD, they started out nominally as a team and stuff went the other way.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

homullus posted:

I am hoping that the thing that unifies the four heroes isn't "bad guys killed Claire Temple." With SHIELD, they started out nominally as a team and stuff went the other way.

Oh my god that would be awful, I hate you for putting this in my brain and making me sure they're going to do it now

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Arist posted:

Oh my god that would be awful, I hate you for putting this in my brain and making me sure they're going to do it now

I mean, what else is going to make Luke Cage risk prison again and make Jessica Jones lay off the sauce and put herself at risk again? Daredevil and Iron Fist will fight bad guys, especially the Hand, without being asked twice, but the other two . . . especially if Claire and Luke Cage are dating . . .

That's actually my question for Agents of Hydra too -- if they're not all even working for SHIELD/HYDRA, what's going to get them working together and staying together?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Whedons aren't involved, so their tired old schtick shouldn't apply. Seriously, they've done it to death, and it's lost all meaning now.

homullus posted:

I mean, what else is going to make Luke Cage risk prison again and make Jessica Jones lay off the sauce and put herself at risk again? Daredevil and Iron Fist will fight bad guys, especially the Hand, without being asked twice, but the other two . . . especially if Claire and Luke Cage are dating...

That's actually my question for Agents of Hydra too -- if they're not all even working for SHIELD/HYDRA, what's going to get them working together and staying together?

OTOH, this is a pretty valid argument in favor of it happening...

Also, there's a thread for the Netflix stuff.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 22, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

homullus posted:

That would actually be a great way to tie the Netflix stuff to AoS and even the MCU to some degree. A post credits scene of Claire waking up in a hospital. Phil is there and says "Died to bring the team together huh?"

"Yep"

*Phil gives an understanding, sympathetic nod*

*Rosario Dawson joins AoS*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Finally caught up with the thread.

cant cook creole bream posted:

In this timeline, Coulson wasn't around. So May became buddies with Garret instead. I'd love to see Bill Paxton again.

This is really sad to me.

• Locked thread