Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is how the Negan story ended in the comics The allied communities go to war with Negan, there's some battles and stuff, it ends with a big climactic battle at Hilltop. Negan and Rick are fighting, Negan seems like he's gonna win because he's got like 6 inches and 50 pound and an arm on Rick, and then Rick is like, "why are we fighting? This is really stupid. You don't want to farm? fine. You have like fifty goons, if you used your manpower to keep the areas between the communities clear of zombies, we'd willingly pay you in food for that service. You could be the corner stone of a new post-zombie world, but you're just killing people for no gain"

And Negan pauses and basically says, holy poo poo he's right. Then Rick slits his throat with a straight razor. Rick yells "hey everybody the war is over, Negan is gonna die but our doctor is gonna save him because we're the good guys, so this fight is over, everybody go home. We're not gonna kill Negan, we're gonna lock him up in a basement dungeon for the rest of his life. He'll be fed regularly and bathed and shaved monthly, because we're the good guys, I am literally stating to all of you that this is purely to establish my moral superiority"

And that's it, war over, comic then time-jumps two years ahead, Negan is still locked in a dungeon

Part of the problem TWD the telly show has had is TWD the comic is poo poo. I'm being harsh, as it started out fairly well, but following it up to around episode 100 it was clear that Kirkman is not a great writer, he is however very good at continually recycling a single idea, with paper-thin characters. If the TV show had been brave and totally liberated itself from the source material, it may have been decent*, but as it is there's so much that doesn't work, right down to the stupid loving costumes everyone has to wear, giving them the appearance of cosplayers at a con that decided to go and play in the woods.

*Sadly Fear The Walking Dead proves that liberation from the source material isn't enough, you still need competent writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I can't wait for the next installment of Fear the Walking Dead: Trump Metaphor to come out

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Fear the Walking Dead was (is?) so bad that I didn't even bother to check out the second season, and I watched Heroes past season 1 so you know I can handle some awful TV.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

I can't wait for the next installment of Fear the Walking Dead: Trump Metaphor to come out

All Mexicans are superstitious creatures, wedded to arcane death rituals and need whitey to come and show them how it's done.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

Bigass Moth posted:

Fear the Walking Dead was (is?) so bad that I didn't even bother to check out the second season, and I watched Heroes past season 1 so you know I can handle some awful TV.

I'm loving the progression of these two shows.

FTWD first made TWD look like goddamn gold

now TWD is so loving bad I'm starting to think, "drat, at least FTWD had ~*~NEW poo poo~*~ in it"

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I liked FTWD in the beginning, it was pretty engaging, but it rapidly fell apart. As usual, they don't know how to play to the show's strengths. S2's fixation on emo dullard Nick was as dreary as poo poo, plus not enough of the interesting characters like Strand and El-Salvidad who were the best things in the show. Ideas that go nowhere; it's the only constant in the TWD universe.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Wait how long was Sasha's tunnel?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Lori 2.0

http://i.imgur.com/dZsfPf3.gifv

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Best part of FTWD, lmfao

Chrisopath somehow breaks his femur in two places inside the cab

guys passed out in the truckbed don't get a scratch

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Bigass Moth posted:

What does the dude in charge of the hilltop do all day? He's just sitting around his office drinking. Can't imagine there's a lot of paperwork or management needed when everyone else just does their farming or map drawing all day. Why would anyone follow him?

The workings of Hilltop are actually way more absurd than the Shakespearen king and his pet tiger.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Wait what, how did those two guys get out of the truck???

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They landed on those soft cushy tents

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
oh and when is this supposed to come in handy? To pull out a knife and then have a stunt double actually throw it?

http://i.imgur.com/Ep24J5W.gifv

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The knife CQC metal gear training scene made me laugh out loud for real.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Throwing a knife and getting it to stick in a piece of wood like that is super easy, the actress may have done it. It took me, a relatively uncoordinated kid, less than 5 minutes to learn how to do it with what was surely an inferior knife as a 7 or 8 year old.

Now, how it comes in handy in TWD world, I don't know.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
A zombie cannot grab you if you disable his hand!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

lol is this for real, that's how they killed that annoying kid?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Varg posted:

lol is this for real, that's how they killed that annoying kid?

Honestly it's worse than you can imagine, he out of nowhere turned into a psychopath

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's to be assumed he died since this was a flashback sequence being described by the people that killed him but there's a chance Chris the dipshit idiot is still alive out there

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sulman posted:

I liked FTWD in the beginning, it was pretty engaging, but it rapidly fell apart.

From the second it started and they had ninja-zombies that were sneaking around the US for weeks, I knew it was going to be poo poo

Then they did a time fade over the interesting part and Los Angeles had a population on the street of 1, 2 zombies at a time because apparently the rapture also happened or something and it just got worse from there.

The ONLY interesting thing is if they finally catch on that the whole show is a villain origin story. I'm not sure if they're aware of that yet. All the characters are hosed in the head, evil or crazy as poo poo now.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Wait wasn't there supposed to be a crossover this season? Or is the piss drinker/suave Black man going to be on the show next season

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly it's worse than you can imagine, he out of nowhere turned into a psychopath

This is something the writers of both shows do all the loving time and it drives me crazy. I remember first noticing it (how couldn't you) in TWD Season 2, when Lori and Shane had absolutely zero internal consistency. From one episode to the next you had Lori either being standard shrew or Lady Macbeth, and Shane being stand-up guy with a secret or weirdly deranged skinhead. There was no development or consistency at all, it just happens.

Same with Carol now. I'm happy! I'm sad! Now I'm happy again!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

redleader posted:

I like the GTA5 guy and the depressed old man savior who picks up stuff from the Kingdom.

It's frustrating because the basic setup of this season has a LOT of room for a great TV show. You have:
- An occupation plotline
- A threat requiring an alliance
- A whole bunch of new settlements with personality
- Breaking the characters down to build them up again

Problem is they are BLOWING IT.

I know I keep picking on the time table of the show, but it's not because I'm picking on plot holes. I'm picking on the fact that for this story to work it should have been glimpses of life under occupation for at least a year. Daryl should have been in that cell for three straight months before even being let out the first time. Alexandria should be suffering, badly, from the loss of supplies; we should see famine and disease, get to know the people there.

Again, there's a good show in there somewhere. They just have no idea how to loving make it. The framework is absolutely fine.

Sulman posted:

This is something the writers of both shows do all the loving time and it drives me crazy. I remember first noticing it (how couldn't you) in TWD Season 2, when Lori and Shane had absolutely zero internal consistency. From one episode to the next you had Lori either being standard shrew or Lady Macbeth, and Shane being stand-up guy with a secret or weirdly deranged skinhead. There was no development or consistency at all, it just happens.

Same with Carol now. I'm happy! I'm sad! Now I'm happy again!

They take it to new extremes in Fear though, like holy poo poo, I keep saying it makes WD look good in comparison.. and there's a good example.

One episode a character suddenly got a full head-character and went completely nuts. Just out of nowhere. Just happened. Another turned into a literal serial killer.

One decided that zombies are like, one with nature and stuff, and literally roams and possibly even feasts with them.

They're loving nutballs. Several iconic Negan moments.. the heroes did the same things. Yet the show seems utterly unaware of it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

Wait wasn't there supposed to be a crossover this season? Or is the piss drinker/suave Black man going to be on the show next season

You know it's really hilarious but of the entire Fear cast, smooth talking con artist mercenary guy is the best person they have. Like any of the others would destroy any community they interact with in a week.

moist turtleneck posted:

It's to be assumed he died since this was a flashback sequence being described by the people that killed him but there's a chance Chris the dipshit idiot is still alive out there

I half think he has an emerging acting career and FWD was literally going to hold him back, so this was their way to write him out with the door held open.

Here's hoping he's a smashing success in the film industry so his character stays loving dead. I don't hold a grudge against the actor, there is literally nobody that could play that character.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 22, 2017

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Every episode,

1) the calm, cool, collected and rational one experiences trauma that makes them reach the breaking point and do ambiguously suicidal things or hallucinate
2) someone who has been mad at the world for a pretty long says they are finally happy
3) the badass one breaks down in tears and can't go on
4) someone who thought they could never go on finds the strength to be badass

Imagine one of those board games where the path loops around. The writers have the characters start out at staggered locations and throw dice to see how far which one advances.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 22, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

galenanorth posted:

The writers have the characters start out at staggered locations and throw dice to see how far which one advances.

Actually it'd be kind of hilarious to see a total trash TV show where the writers room literally uses some RPG to roll out every situation

You'd literally never know who was going to roll 1 and die

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Negan is going to find Eugene's Zork maps and accuse him of providing that map to Sasha

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blazing Ownager posted:

Actually it'd be kind of hilarious to see a total trash TV show where the writers room literally uses some RPG to roll out every situation

You'd literally never know who was going to roll 1 and die

There have actually been successful TV shows that were just adaptations of the writer's D&D campaigns

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blazing Ownager posted:

They're loving nutballs. Several iconic Negan moments.. the heroes did the same things. Yet the show seems utterly unaware of it.

The Fear cast's lack of self-awareness is ridiculous. Smooth talker Strand and El Salvidad are the only interesting/not pants-on-head idiotic characters.

After the main crew brained a guy that was trying to stop Cliff Curtis from murdering people and the daughter killed the closest thing the Hotel group had to a doctor, I couldn't understand why they were bamboozled that Strand refused to go with them when they were being thrown out. I would have also been 'Yeeeah, I'm not particularly close with them'.

Both shows are like 'It would have been better if....' the series, but to different degrees.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

moist turtleneck posted:

oh well then in that case he's most definitely hiding under a dumpster somewhere

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I defended Walking Dead longer than I really should have and even I thought Fear was a huge mistake. The main show has more problems than I can count at this point but I still have fun watching it, as incredibly stupid as it is, but Fear lost me almost immediately. Strand rules, though.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I thought until now that Fear the Walking Dead was a joke about how bad the show was where you just make up ridiculous and absurd plots and dumb characters and didn't realize it was an actual series.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The Chris death on FTWD definitely had shades of Dumpster Glenn.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

FTWD is what you got from AMC when they came up with an original plot instead of following a comic book. So, as hard as it is to imagine, TWD could be much, much worse.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I liked the idea of a hotel group as someone that grew up in a hotel. You get people from all walks of life staying there, which is usually what they go for when making up some random cast. A lot of them are people that live there and have to pay $600/month markup over apartment rent due to bad credit. Rednecks in camo gear, retired Z-list band members, people from the city's performing arts center, a retired couple that were both scientists who worked at the nearest Department of Energy laboratory. The front desk worker had a good relationship with my parents, and it was company policy to let front desk workers order a free pizza from a local company they had a relationship with, so my family got free pizza every few weeks. I guess that's a tangent, though.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Space Crabs posted:

I thought until now that Fear the Walking Dead was a joke about how bad the show was where you just make up ridiculous and absurd plots and dumb characters and didn't realize it was an actual series.

I think it's still on Netflix so you can give it a try and see how far you can get

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

IDK I like FTWD for all the ridiculous dumb poo poo that happens, and the settings are all infinitely more interesting. At this point I'll take the middle of the Pacific Ocean over 7 seasons of "forest, and suburban neighborhoods within forest." My heart kind of sank when I happened across a comic spoiler and found out they are still currently in Alexandria in the comics. At least in FTWD they have pretty big changes in setting every season/half a season. And all the dumb drama and plot armor is entertaining for me. In TWD all they do is stare at each other and mutter some of the worst dialog I've ever heard in a TV show while stretching every other episode out way longer than they need to be.

Also I heard in season 3 they're bringing Daniel back.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
This should be within the constraints

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fog Tripper posted:

Gelato != Iced Cream :colbert:

Fog Tripper posted:

It is loving GELATO