Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

The combat in Zelda 2 feels great. There is just something magical about a properly timed jump+stab at an Iron Knuckle that feels satisfying. The downward stab is also a lot of fun.

Yeah, that's why Shovel Knight has it, along with every reincarnation of Link in the Smash Bros. series. Down stab is love/life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Wear your gamer badge with pride.

no don't

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Joe Gillian posted:

Yeah, that's why Shovel Knight has it, along with every reincarnation of Link in the Smash Bros. series. Down stab is love/life.

Twilight Princess has a down stab. :getin:

What's unfortunate about TP, and to a lesser extent Wind Waker, is that it adds all these extra moves for combat, but you never really need to use them or face enemies that require you to have a good sword fight. All the bosses can be easily cheesed using other weapons, and the ones that are a challenge are more of a challenge in the traditional action puzzler sense that Zelda is known for.

It's kinda like if you had Bayonetta's moves in a Mario game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Obligatory
Zelder? I 'ardly know 'er!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Twilight Princess has a down stab. :getin:

What's unfortunate about TP, and to a lesser extent Wind Waker, is that it adds all these extra moves for combat, but you never really need to use them or face enemies that require you to have a good sword fight. All the bosses can be easily cheesed using other weapons, and the ones that are a challenge are more of a challenge in the traditional action puzzler sense that Zelda is known for.

It's kinda like if you had Bayonetta's moves in a Mario game.

If I remember correctly from my time with Twilight Princess, part of the issue is that they made all the cool sword moves optional. They couldn't design enemies around the player having them because it was likely that players would miss some of them. So really they shouldn't have made them optional so they could amp up the combat complexity as the game progressed.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Some really cool guy uploaded literally all of nintendo power magazine in incredibly high res scans on an easy to navigate site last year, and it took I think 3 days for Nintendo of America to shut it down.

At least I was able to save this amazing cover.

That's the most depressing story

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I finished Nier and when it deleted my save I think a bit of my soul went with it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

I finished Nier and when it deleted my save I think a bit of my soul went with it.

Nier automata? Please spoiler that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sefal posted:

Nier automata? Please spoiler that.

The original Nier.

edit: Or maybe not, I don't know, but I assume the original because that's a thing it does and that's about all I know about it

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lurdiak posted:

Some really cool guy uploaded literally all of nintendo power magazine in incredibly high res scans on an easy to navigate site last year, and it took I think 3 days for Nintendo of America to shut it down.

At least I was able to save this amazing cover.

Don't doxx me pls.

It's a drat shame that archive got taken down. I know it's "protection of IP" but goddam. Nintendo isn't doing anything with Nintendo Power right now, right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want Bioware to patch Mass Effect: Andromeda and not just fix the animations, but also some of the shittier character designs, and maybe even do some rewrites like they did when they did that free "okay, fine, we'll slightly change the ending" DLC.

They won't. But drat it, I want to play a fun space RPG without cringing every time a human or asari's face is on screen.

Or just replace everyone with krogans. Actually, let's do that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They're not HQ but I was able to grab cbz archives that were posted in I think GBS of all places a number of years ago. I only grabbed up to the start of the GCN era because that's around when I stopped caring about the magazine to stay subscribed.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
A Mass Effect set before or during first contact with humanity might be interesting!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want to play a Mass Effect game set entirely on a fully-realized version of the Citadel, obviously before the whole Reaper conflict. The player is a new C-Sec agent and it's all about solving crimes and busting up a crime syndicate. And let me play as a non-human, too. Because Citadel racial politics are important, each race could be like a background choice in Dragon Age Origins--not game-changing, but inflecting certain quests and scenes. So if you're turian you're in the majority of C-Sec agents and might have more respect from fellow C-Sec agents by default, while being human might mean people treat you with a bit more skepticism because you're relatively new to C-Sec as a species even if there are more human agents than salarian or asari. Obviously it'd be a big departure because it wouldn't be about exploring space, so definitely more spin-off material than sequel material. But high-tech crime solving on a space station would be cool.

Although something set during first conflict or the human/turian war would be cool, too.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a mass effect where ... you play viva piñata on your omnitool

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

oddium posted:

finally some good ideas in this thread

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

Easily a G6F6 imo

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Joe Gillian posted:

Shovel Knight utilizes Scrooge McDuck's cane pogo move and I'll thank you to never forget that

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

delusions

Bioware can only write "Ancient Evil" or "Evil uses Ancient Civilization for their schemes" plots sorry

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lakbay posted:

Bioware can only write "Ancient Evil" or "Evil uses Ancient Civilization for their schemes" plots sorry

They got the right guy for the job.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh my god you guys andromeda is so good

I don't think it's even because I lowered my expectations, it's just... actually a drat good game

but it is very different to ME1-3 as I said before. Replay value will be hit hard on this one because like I said it doesn't have the "pick up and play" quality that 2 and to a lesser extent 1 and 3 had. There is a lot of non-shooting exploration and talky talky poo poo, as I said more like DA:I but without the horrible quest bloat

I just now finally got my whole crew unlocked. Drak is a pretty typical Krogan but he's still funny and great VA

I still really like Liam

As Sara you can pick the Flirt option with literally everyone you meet for the first time and she usually says something hilarious and awkward

It's really neat to actually grow your colony, like making your castle bigger in DAI but much more immediately gratifying

and the multiplayer oh god I've only slept 4 hours today :shepicide:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm glad you like it but I just landed on the first planet and the prologue left me feeling lukewarm :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

In Training posted:

"Just put a ballerina suit on Link next time and focus the game around him picking out a different wardrobe, only way it could have been gayer" somebody at Nintendo listened to this suggestion too

Yeah, Triforce Heroes is a pretty good game.

That fella had some good ideas in between all his raging homophobia, tell u hwut

Nate RFB posted:

The AM2R guy should take a run at Zelda 1 & 2 remakes.

Eh, AM2R was good but it felt more like a Super Metroid fangame than it did the original Metroid 2. Which I guess is for the best because I replayed the original after beating AM2R and good god did that game not age well. I liked it so much when I was 10!

Nate RFB posted:

Zelda 2 only got hated on IMO in retrospect. It was not thought of as being weird/bad at all in the late 80s and early 90s, until it became abundantly clear that they were no never going back to that format and all everyone saw was either a 3D Zelda or a top-down LttP equivalent. The only thing people would say against it at the time was that it was loving hard.

Much like Metroid 2, I thought I liked Zelda 2 for many years, until I decided to replay the whole series a few years ago. I never want to see that piece of poo poo game again as long as I live.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lakbay posted:

I'm glad you like it but I just landed on the first planet and the prologue left me feeling lukewarm :(

I am certainly glad they are enjoying it but man it sounds like they are playing an entirely different game from me.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Wamdoodle posted:

Don't doxx me pls.

It's a drat shame that archive got taken down. I know it's "protection of IP" but goddam. Nintendo isn't doing anything with Nintendo Power right now, right?

Any year before last year? Not really. But then last year they actually produced a hardcover book alongside the NES classic full of relevant guides, interviews and articles.

Also they reprinted those old Mario and LTTP comics they would run in NP last year as well IIRC.

No Howard and Nester reprints though.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Who did downstab first? Link or Scrooge McDuck?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Who did downstab first? Link or Scrooge McDuck?

Zelda 2 predates Ducktales by like 2 years.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHH2DFDcpH8

how is everyone today

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/844528853083176960?s=09

indeed

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The worst time to read a game-specific thread is when you have some time put into the game that you think you can read some spoilers but then it turns out the vague description was about something else entirely and whoops there's actually a ton of poo poo you haven't encountered yet.

In other news, NieR: Automata is good, y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIryKlq1gFc

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
ya that's why I have like 1500 unread posts in the nier thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sometimes I wish Yoko Taro would put his storytelling efforts towards something that doesn't leave me feeling like a hollow shell of a person.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 22, 2017

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

David Cage throws out all work on Detroit: Become Human after watching this.

He knows nothing in the game can connect to the player as emotionally as the character in this video can. He has failed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty good about not clicking on spoilers, but what I hate is that when I've finished the game, I have to skim back through like 80 pages to catch up on the spoiler discussion in between posts I've already read. I wish it was just standard to make a spoiler thread for games that have heavy plot discussion. Like yeah, both threads end up being lower traffic, but it's more convenient to catch up on the lore-talk when you beat the game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

precision posted:

and the multiplayer oh god I've only slept 4 hours today :shepicide:

You spent like a couple thousand hours playing ME3 multiplayer, right? This isn't a callout, I'm just trying to provide some context to your post.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

David Cage throws out all work on Detroit: Become Human after watching this.

He knows nothing in the game can connect to the player as emotionally as the character in this video can. He has failed.

https://twitter.com/kshipwhitecat/status/844299813550153728

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It's me I'm the spoiler fairy that ruins that thing you have yet to experience

Totally would've been the "Snape kills Dumbledore!!!" guy back when Harry Potter movies were releasing :twisted:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Oh my god I need this real bad and I might get a facsimile made by a hipster printing website or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I need one!

• Locked thread