Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Lemming posted:

It's not a strawman, it's analogous to how removing weapon durability in BotW would severely and negatively impact the balance of the weapon system. Just because you don't care to think about the consequences of changing the system doesn't mean a reasoned argument is a strawman.

you literally said it was a hypothetical argument. perhaps a better way to make your point would be to use an actual example next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

If you found a super strong OH sword, you would always use that sword when you need a OH weapon. The same goes for any category. The current system works pretty well to make you switch things up every once in a while.

It's not just about switching things up, it's about the rewards system they use for encouraging combat and exploration. It's an additional thing you can be excited to find when exploring a new area or seeing a group of enemies off the path.

Edit:

Stux posted:

you literally said it was a hypothetical argument. perhaps a better way to make your point would be to use an actual example next time

Just like how removing the weapon durability system is a hypothetical situation. What are you even talking about?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stux posted:

well exactly, as its not easy to tell if you have an older or newer joycon without tearing it down, its worth sending them in to be fixed anyway imo. if you dont want to then thats ok too, but if someone is worried about issues in the future there is no harm in getting it sorted now.

those things are part of engineering

You're wasting everyone's time. Nintendo's and your own if you send in something for repair that you've had no trouble with, and worse you're probably helping make a queue in which people who actually have had problems are waiting behind you and a bunch of other people who didn't have issues but want some free foam.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Just lol if you don't have the one true weapon and use it until it's gone then wait 10 minutes to use it again.

The first thing I did with it was cut down a bunch of trees to help a guy make a village.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It was brought up earlier but I really do enjoy the way different weapon types (1H/2H/spear) are balanced against each other

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Lemming posted:

Just like how removing the weapon durability system is a hypothetical situation. What are you even talking about?

no, there are many games without durability systems or more lenient ones, its not hypothetical at all

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why do people bother arguing with stux?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

parallelodad posted:

You're wasting everyone's time. Nintendo's and your own if you send in something for repair that you've had no trouble with, and worse you're probably helping make a queue in which people who actually have had problems are waiting behind you and a bunch of other people who didn't have issues but want some free foam.

if you feel its a waste of your own time then dont do it, but i dont think you should worry too much about the time of the company who you bought the product from fixing the thing they sold you, and i doubt its going to cause some kind of queue when it appears to be a small section of people with the issue and the solution is quite simple. you could even do it yourself but sending it out to be repaired is probably a better idea so that you dont void any warranties etc

Spellman posted:

The thing is you don't know if your playing conditions right now are the ones you're always going to have. You might get an aquarium or something, and according to Nintendo, that could set off interference

If all early Joy-con are missing the foam and all latter ones will have the foam, then it's a free foamy bluetooth connection enhancer that will only serve to improve your experience

at least someone understands, thank you

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I wish Nintendo would start pumpin' out Directs or just well anything vocal to keep fans engaged more so this thread could stop sucking. I don't wanna have to watch those unpleasant Nintendo Minute videos. Is that all there is? Get that motherfucking Japanese Dracula back on camera for some Directs, he rules.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stux posted:

if you feel its a waste of your own time then dont do it, but i dont think you should worry too much about the time of the company who you bought the product from fixing the thing they sold you, and i doubt its going to cause some kind of queue when it appears to be a small section of people with the issue and the solution is quite simple. you could even do it yourself but sending it out to be repaired is probably a better idea so that you dont void any warranties etc

at least someone understands, thank you

"Fixing the thing they sold you" except you are explicitly advocating for sending in non broken ones. Yeah they have no trouble fixing them because only a small subset of people have had issues, maybe that would change if every person started sending them in even if they weren't broken.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Spellman posted:

The thing is you don't know if your playing conditions right now are the ones you're always going to have. You might get an aquarium or something, and according to Nintendo, that could set off interference

If all early Joy-con are missing the foam and all latter ones will have the foam, then it's a free foamy bluetooth connection enhancer that will only serve to improve your experience
The only ones with foam are ones that you send in for repair. No other Joycon, new or old, has any sort of foam.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

enojy posted:

I wish Nintendo would start pumpin' out Directs or just well anything vocal to keep fans engaged more so this thread could stop sucking. I don't wanna have to watch those unpleasant Nintendo Minute videos. Is that all there is? Get that motherfucking Japanese Dracula back on camera for some Directs, he rules.

I wanna see Bill Trinen get fired again, personally.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Andrast posted:

Why do children starve to death? Because God wills it.

Stux posted:

no, there are many games without durability systems or more lenient ones, its not hypothetical at all

If my claim that there are games that exist with poor balance is a hypothetical, then the universe you live in is extremely enviable to me.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

parallelodad posted:

"Fixing the thing they sold you" except you are explicitly advocating for sending in non broken ones. Yeah they have no trouble fixing them because only a small subset of people have had issues, maybe that would change if every person started sending them in even if they weren't broken.

i dont think telling people in the dead forum games subforum to send them in just in case is going to cause any kind of issue for nintendo, i wouldnt worry about it.

Bill Barber posted:

The only ones with foam are ones that you send in for repair. No other Joycon, new or old, has any sort of foam.

this is correct, the fault has been fixed on the board in later revisions it would appear

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Lemming posted:

If my claim that there are games that exist with poor balance is a hypothetical, then the universe you live in is extremely enviable to me.

Lemming posted:

I was bringing up a hypothetical

they were your words, not mine. if you had an example in mind perhaps you shouldve used it instead

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I've been noticing that when my TV (nothing fancy or out of the ordinary; just a standard, not-smart 40something'' LG I got from Target) is on another input, sometimes the notifcation window will pop up saying that it's found a new connection to HDMI2, where my Switch is docked and on sleep mode. Obviously, It does this when the Switch is newly docked, but it will curiously do it even when it's been docked all day. Has anyone else run into this issue? My PS4 never does it despite being constantly plugged in and on sleep mode as well.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Andrast posted:

They're idiots. Every single one of them.

There is not enough talk how nice it is I can take the same system between two of my tvs without having to fuss with wires (now that I shelled out money like a chump) and then take it with me when I go out. All while the game is saved in memory and boots up in a couple seconds. This is so much nicer than all the other dumb boxes that seem to take forever.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Andrast posted:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Does anyone know why my AV Receiver initially said "Nintendo Switch" on the little led display for the first few days, but now it just says "HDMI3"? It doesn't really matter, but I'm kinda curious.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
i dont know why anyone is arguing with me when im openly saying what nintendo is doing is good and very consumer positive. i guess people are just getting mad at the idea of there being any hardware faults? or maybe its just that they see my name and assume the worst. either way i dont think its very helpful and just clogs up the thread for no reason.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stux posted:

they were your words, not mine. if you had an example in mind perhaps you shouldve used it instead

The specific game doesn't matter because the point was to illustrate a type of situation, which you refuse to address because you're not having an argument in good faith, as evidenced by how you're trying to argue over wording instead of backing up your own argument​.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Earth Table posted:

I've been noticing that when my TV (nothing fancy or out of the ordinary; just a standard, not-smart 40something'' LG I got from Target) is on another input, sometimes the notifcation window will pop up saying that it's found a new connection to HDMI2, where my Switch is docked and on sleep mode. Obviously, It does this when the Switch is newly docked, but it will curiously do it even when it's been docked all day. Has anyone else run into this issue? My PS4 never does it despite being constantly plugged in and on sleep mode as well.

yup. there have been mentions of it. my TV will just sometimes randomly change to my switch's input when it's docked and asleep.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Lemming posted:

The specific game doesn't matter because the point was to illustrate a type of situation, which you refuse to address because you're not having an argument in good faith, as evidenced by how you're trying to argue over wording instead of backing up your own argument​.

i backed up my own argument with a game where there are many different weapon types and a genuine benefit to min maxing with dark souls. im happy to continue talking about this if you want to provide an actual example of what you're saying happens in your hypothetical argument.

edit: its also not arguing about wording, you called it a hypothetical yes, but also it is hypothetical as its not an example from an actual game, its one that you have concocted. thats not arguing about wording at all, unless relying on what words mean to communicate counts.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

i dont know why anyone is arguing with me when im openly saying what nintendo is doing is good and very consumer positive. i guess people are just getting mad at the idea of there being any hardware faults? or maybe its just that they see my name and assume the worst. either way i dont think its very helpful and just clogs up the thread for no reason.

From the article:

quote:

A Nintendo representative was not immediately available to respond to a request for comment from Ars Technica at press time. In a statement to CNET, Nintendo said that "there are no widespread technical problems" with the Switch hardware, and it affirmed its commitment to fix any issues through its support service. Nintendo also told BGR this week that "the total number of repair or replacement requests for Nintendo Switch, including for Joy-Con, is consistent with what we’ve seen for any new hardware Nintendo has launched."

This doesn't mesh with what you are saying.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my thought is that the switch fuckin owns

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

eonwe posted:

It's fine, at best.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

eonwe posted:

:yeah:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's a pretty fantastic time to play a game no matter what hardware you've got

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

VideoGames posted:

From the article:

This doesn't mesh with what you are saying.

im not saying its widespread either, i said myself its a small section of people who have this problem and that anyone who thinks they may be at risk should look into the service nintendo are offering. what i am saying is entirely consistent with nintendo's own admission that there are a small number of people experiencing an issue and their willingness to accept faulty joycons and repair them, and i applaud nintendos quick reaction and solution to this problem, no matter how small it may be.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Here's something Nintendo has actually said.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03...cbbfe644000000a

So Stuck is right retroactively, but he was wrong earlier because it wasn't true about Nintendo confirming anything when he said it.
Edit: I misread, stuck was still wrong, it was a manufacturing variation, not a design flaw

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 22, 2017

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
i really dont see how that can be contentious in any possible way unless people are looking for things to get mad about because they assume i am saying something negative purely based on my username

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
my perfect, no problems at all switch, is the best. i feel blessed to be one of the chosen.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So when do the glorious, luxury, handmade mahogany Switch cradles start showing up on etsy?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

parallelodad posted:

Here's something Nintendo has actually said.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03...cbbfe644000000a

So Stuck is right retroactively, but he was wrong earlier because it wasn't true about Nintendo confirming anything when he said it.
Edit: I misread, stuck was still wrong, it was a manufacturing variation, not a design flaw

manufacturing processes are part of engineering. you dont have to try and look for weird ways that you think im wrong when im just trying to pass on news and framing it as a positive

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

eonwe posted:

I have to wait around for an hour or so today for someone to meet me for an appointment and I get to play my Switch as I wait and then I get to go home and keep playing it, it seriously rules.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

So when do the glorious, luxury, handmade mahogany Switch cradles start showing up on etsy?

wont be long.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stux posted:

i really dont see how that can be contentious in any possible way unless people are looking for things to get mad about because they assume i am saying something negative purely based on my username

I've been here a week I don't know you from adam.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stux posted:

i backed up my own argument with a game where there are many different weapon types and a genuine benefit to min maxing with dark souls. im happy to continue talking about this if you want to provide an actual example of what you're saying happens in your hypothetical argument.

edit: its also not arguing about wording, you called it a hypothetical yes, but also it is hypothetical as its not an example from an actual game, its one that you have concocted. thats not arguing about wording at all, unless relying on what words mean to communicate counts.

Your argument was that a different game that works very differently doesn't use weapon durability, which does nothing to address the changes that would result in BotW from removing weapon durability in that specific game. Nobody has made the argument that no game would work without weapon durability, which is the only thing your example would address. The point is the game needs to be designed as a whole with that system in mind. BotW was designed with weapon durability in mind, so to remove it would require a total overhaul. You could do it, but it'd be debateable if it was "better," and it would certainly be a different game.

The hypothetical I was bringing up was addressing a different facet of the argument, that players do what's effective over what's fun. If you desperately need a specific example, a good one is Hearthstone or Magic the Gathering. There are plenty of "fun" decks that are wacky or whatever, but most people end up playing whatever the top tier decks are at the moment, even if they personally find them less fun, because they're more effective. When those games are more well balanced, a wide variety of decks are viable. When they're poorly balanced, only a handful are, which makes the game less fun for people who don't like using those decks.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Vikar Jerome posted:

wont be long.

What kind of monster doesn't use the black theme?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Vikar Jerome posted:

wont be long.

As someone who spend a LOT of time in a tiny coffin rack on ships that was decked out with screens and consoles and basically looked like batmans bed. That there is a "sit up in the dark" hazard.

• Locked thread